I want your opinion.......how much is my TransAM worth?

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

BlackMagic84
Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

I want your opinion.......how much is my TransAM worth?

Post by BlackMagic84 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:20 pm

Now first and foremost allow me to say that "I AM NOT ATTEMPTING TO SELL MY TRANSAM".

I do not want to sell it nor do I want to make it a "custom Knight Rider" car.

Personally, as a huge fan of the 3rd Generation General Motors F-Body, I believe that if you wish to make a Knight Rider "replica" then you ought to start off with a TransAm that is in bad shape and needing restoration, not a with a TA that is already in Excellent to Superior shape.

If you have a TA that is in Excellent shape (as is mine), then remember, those are starting to become more few and far between and should be kept original if possible to ensure the survival of those cars.

....So, anyhow, I was just wondering that "IF" this was your car, how much would you think it would be worth to sell to a 3rd party buyer, should you find that you even wanted to sell it.

Here's the Specs on Mine:
=======================

Year: 1991 (Next to last year of the 3rd generation F-body)

Make/Model: Pontiac Firebird TransAM GTA (Grand Tourismo Americana, for all of you who have wondered what in the heck does GTA stand for)

Displacement: 5.7L (350c.i.) V8 engine, TPI Fuel Injection, 4-Speed Automatic Trans, WS6 Package, Positive Traction Rear-end, offset GTA factory rims package (16 inch).

Color: Burgundy/Maroon with Gold GTA package, Black Leather Interior. (Note in the GTA package the only things on the car that was gold was the inset of the rims, the outside of the rim was aluminum. On the body the Firebird logo on the center of the hood and on each side of the greenhouse was outlined in gold. But nothing else)

Features: Everything.
-Power windows, locks, rear-hatch, steering, side mirrors and seats. (all power)
-A/C, Cruise, Tilt, Driver air bag.
-AM/FM Stereo CD Player (But I still have the factory Stereo Cassett player)
-Fog Lights package and ground FX package.
-Leather seats in front and back. (all black)

Special Points to note: Long Flat rear spoiler and 3 piece tail light.....very rare.

...In other words, when she was new, she was about the most decked out 3rd Generation F-Body G.M. had ever produced!

Current Milage: Approx. 110,000 (Note: I drove this car everyday in college from the fall of 1996 to Spring of 2002 and I was a commuter student for 80% of that time. I drove almost 80 miles round trip daily. In other words, the vast majority of this is highway/interstate mileage, and that doesn't hurt a car at all.)

History:
Car bought new in 1991 by first owner and sold immediately after only 3 months because 1st owner had trouble making payments, in other words he couldn't afford the thing. So he sold it to a friend (2nd owner) that kept it strictly as a "play toy". It was 100% garage kept.
And I knew it was kept as a play toy because I am the 3rd and so far final owner and I bought it in the spring of 1998 and it only had 48,000 miles on it......and it was already 7 years old.......therefore it was only driven and average of 6,800 miles a year.
In 2002 upon finishing my second college degree, i bought another "everyday" vehicle and have 100% garage kept the T.A. since, driving it occassionally to keep everything in good working order.

It doesn't leak anything, smoke or use oil.

Since it was bought new the first owner has always used Full Synthetic motor oil and Premium gas, and I have continued to do so to today. (Once you go full synthetic, you don't ever change back, unless you want to damage your engine.)

Honestly, I can check the mileage when it's due for an oil change and pull out the dip stick and it's still clear and tan.

Mechanically, she's as clean as a brand new car.

And she has never lost any "pep" in her step. She still will burn both back tires easily and throw your butt back in the seat!

I remember when I use to drive it everyday......I had a friend that has about a 1990 Mustang GT with the 5.0, and we'd play around on the road together, but he couldn't keep up!

Everything is original except for the Flowmaster exhaust w/ dual crome tips and K&N air filter I installed. (and the CD player too)

The only "downsides".....

Well she's got that sh*tty early 90's General Motors paint that the clear coat is just now starting to show some early signs of failure on the roof of the car and side mirror covers, but other than that, no exterior blemishes.

Guys I wish I had a picture right now to upload......I'll get one sometime this week and upload it for you all.

On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being best, I'd rate this car a 8.0. (And as soon as I give her her first paint job ever that would scale her up to about a 9.5)

So, how much do you think she's worth?????

Long Live the 3rd Gen F-Body!!! :karr:

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Re: I want your opinion.......how much is my TransAM worth?

Post by TurbomanKnight » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:18 pm

From what you described about $4000 should sounds fair. A person would be stupid to hack up a GTA for a KITT car. And on top of that a 91-92. Those are the rarest. I went with my friend last month to buy a 91 GTA. It had 142k on it and it still hauled ass as it had the 5.7 in it. 8)
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:32 pm

I would say similar. Highly likely to get $4,000. Or, at the bare minimum, $3,000.

Indeed, DO NOT turn it into a KITT. In my opinion, any Trans Am that needs to become a KITT should be one that the owner is dedicated to the price tag of the restoration. We're talking cars that might make some say, "Ecology bound", AKA: KITT's nightmare; the bone yard.

CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant

Post by CJaguar442 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:51 pm

how much do you think my trans am is worth too:
YEAR: 1983
MAKE/Model: Pontiac trans am daytona 500 edition

Drivetrain: 305ci crossfire Injectiion, 4-speed automatic

56K miles on it, mint interior/exterior, no car cancer
one owner, garage kept

Mid body 2tone Paint(White upper, Dark sand gray lower)
Special Recaro bucket seats (light sand gray leather bolsters with medium sand gray pigskin inserts and pallex cloth sides and seatbacks
Console kneepad
Special Daytona 500 25th Anniversary emblem
Hood appliqué
Aero package(rocker panel extensions, front and rear fascia extensions, air dam, rocker fences and grille pads)
White aero cast aluminum wheels
Red instrument panel lighting
Power windows
Power door locks
Air conditioning
Soft ray glass-all windows
Deck lid release
Additional acoustical insulation(exe w/hatch roof)
Special front and rear floor mats with Daytona 500 emblem
Luggage compartment trim
Controlled cycle windshield wipers
Rear window defogger
Dome-Reading lamp
L.H. and R.H. Power sport mirrors
Cruise control
Leather wrapped steering wheel
Fuel filler door lock
Tilt steering wheel
Lamp Group
AM/FM ETR Stereo radio w/cassette & 5 band graphic EQ
Power antenna
Special performance package w/P215/65R15 black sidewall steel belted tires and 4 wheel disc brakes

Options:

UA1--Battery, Heavy duty
NB2--California emmissions requirements
D42--Cargo security screen
K99--Generator,H.D. 85 AMP.
CC1--Hatch Roof Removable
D34--Mirror,Visor Vanity R.H.
V08--Radiator,Heavy duty
15P--Wheels,Silver finned turbo cast aluminum
PB4--Wheel locking package
Re-elect Mayor Goldie wilson, Progress is his middle name!
Save the Clocktower!
Go Boston Red Sox! Go Boston Bruins! Go Boston Celtics!
Go the distance and he will come!

CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant

Post by CJaguar442 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:19 pm

your would be worth between $5,000-$5,500. in my opinion do what you want the car
its a 91 build a knight rider car if it was a smokey and the bandit car or before then i would say restore it.
(i had a uncle who had a 87 gta with a 350 fully loaded, who was greedy and tried to sell it at 7000 back in 03 he eventually sold it for 3000 at a loss. then said years later to me if i wanted it i would have given it to me (he would of never given it to me. dont you hate people like that )
Save the Clocktower!

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:42 am

Did you look at Kelly's Blue Book online? (I don't have the link handy - you'll have to google for it). That's one way to get an idea what the car is worth.

BlackMagic84
Recruit

Post by BlackMagic84 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:16 am

I agree with a lot of your suggestions....$4000 to $5000 would probably be about right.

I know a guy in West Columbia/South Congaree, SC named Jerry Brock who has a mechanic shop called "Brock's Camaro/Firebird", and that's ALL he deals with.....restoration and replacement parts, and he suggested a starting asking price should be about $5,000.

As far as the suggestion on Kelly Blue Book, and after former coversation with folks I know that are in the car business, Kelly Blue Book is really not that highly regarded anymore.

....And don't worry, I will get the pictures posted sometime this week.

BlackMagic84
Recruit

Post by BlackMagic84 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:24 am

CJaguar442 wrote:how much do you think my trans am is worth too:

one owner, garage kept

Special Recaro bucket seats (light sand gray leather bolsters with medium sand gray pigskin inserts and pallex cloth sides and seatbacks
Console kneepad
Hood appliqué
Aero package(rocker panel extensions, front and rear fascia extensions, air dam, rocker fences and grille pads)
Power windows
Power door locks
Air conditioning
Deck lid release
Luggage compartment trim
Rear window defogger
Dome-Reading lamp
Cruise control
Fuel filler door lock
Tilt steering wheel
Lamp Group
Power antenna
Special performance package w/P215/65R15 black sidewall steel belted tires and 4 wheel disc brakes

Options:

UA1--Battery, Heavy duty
V08--Radiator,Heavy duty

How much of it is "original"?

Ex. - With the exception of the flowmaster and K&N, EVERYTHING on mine is original. That matter's in determining value.

I'm not familiar with a Daytona 500 Edition Firebird?

===========================================================

....Off subject.

Although I will say, in 1986, Pontiac made an Indianapolis 500 Pace Car Edition and with a Super Charged/Turbo V6 GTA TransAM.

Yes, I said V6...

....It out ran the top of the line Corevette of the same year.

....And it STILL ranks as the Fastest "Stock" (Ordered from Dealer/Factory) Third Genereation F-Body to this day.

...And it was a V6, and that's no sh*t.

I think they were convertables with black tops that were white in body color with the GTA gold package. I've only seen one on TV (Car and Driver years ago), but I'd love to run across one.

...You can probably google some of this info and find out about it.

BlackMagic84
Recruit

Post by BlackMagic84 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:34 am

Ha! I found a link to the infamous but rare Super Charged/Turbo V6 TransAM....

Here are some pics...

Link: http://www.transamgta.com/PhotoGallery/ ... m/TTA.html

....Fastest 3rd Gen F-body ever......and it was a V6!!!!!

..WTF? Go FIgure?

SPECIAL NOTE: I believe this was 1989, and not 1986 as I said earlier....

Wikipedia Info: (Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_Trans_Am#Trans_Am )

Caption:
"The Trans Am was selected to pace the Indianapolis 500, and Pontiac marketed another pace car replica. This special, 20th Anniversary Turbo Trans Am (TTA), based on the GTA, was only available in white with a tan interior, and came equipped with the turbocharged Buick 3.8L V6, originally developed for the Buick Regal Grand National. At the time, these replicas were as close to the actual pace car as any replica previously offered; the only differences between the replica cars and those that actually were on the track during the race were the additions of strobe lights and safety equipment to the latter. 1,555 were produced, 5 of those being test cars. Out of 1,550 cars produced by PAS, the actual pace cars were randomly selected and sent to Indy for testing and modification, and when the TTA was released to the public, they were underrated in power. Not all came with T-tops or with leather interior; there were hardtops and cloth-interior cars. But every TTA had an automatic transmission — the TH2004R. Still, the TTA was, at the time, widely regarded as the fastest production car in existence — ironically a title it had briefly (at least for 1989) usurped from its GM stablemate that had supplied the engine: the Buick Regal Grand National (although as noted above, the LB9/N10/MM5/GM3-equipped Formula was quite possibly a close contender as well). The five test TTA's, because they were for pre-production use, were pulled off of the assembly line without regard to color, and therefore were not necessarily white. At least two of these test cars were sold to private individuals, so there are at least two extremely rare, non-white, factory TTA's in existence; in fact, one is known to be red. Only three convertible TTA's were built by ASC, one of which was bought by the president of PAS, with the other two falling into private hands.

TTA production figures:

1,321 T-Top & Leather Interior
187 T-Top & Cloth Interior
24 Hardtop & Leather Interior
15 Hardtop & Cloth Interior (Base)
3 Convertible (prev. T-Top) & Leather int.
4 Test Cars with T-Top & Cloth Interior
1 Test Car with Hardtop & Leather Interior"

BlackMagic84
Recruit

Post by BlackMagic84 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:26 pm

BlackMagic84 wrote:
CJaguar442 wrote:how much do you think my trans am is worth too:

one owner, garage kept

Console kneepad
Hood appliqué
Power windows
Power door locks
Air conditioning
Deck lid release
Luggage compartment trim
Rear window defogger
Dome-Reading lamp
Cruise control
Fuel filler door lock
Tilt steering wheel
Lamp Group
Power antenna

Options:

UA1--Battery, Heavy duty
V08--Radiator,Heavy duty

How much of it is "original"?

Ex. - With the exception of the flowmaster and K&N, EVERYTHING on mine is original. That matter's in determining value.

I'm not familiar with a Daytona 500 Edition Firebird?

===========================================================
Also, I noticed your T/A just has a 305 engine.

And no offense to you and your car, but the 305 was a piece of sh*t.

I know, I had one too.

Before my 91 GTA that I have now, I had a 1989 Chev Camaro RS, with a 305 c.i. V8, and it had Throddle-Body InJection.

I was ok on top speed, but horible on take-off.

But on the other hand, your's is original...

It was an 1983 and the biggest engine "stock" that came in a T/A was a 305, so for originality you probably want to keep it that way....

G.M. finally wised up in 1986/87 or so when they started putting the 5.7L 350 V8 in Camaros and Firebirds, because they had been letting the 5.0L Mustang GL whip their butt for the past 3 years.

All I'm saying is that with the 3rd generation F-body (82-92), they made so many more from 86/87 to 92 with 350 V8's, that it really doesn't make the 305's in much demand anymore.

Like I said, I know, I had one too in my '89. And I loved that car, but she was in no way close to my GTA with the 350.

After having a 3rd gen f-body with a 350, I'd never go back to a 305 in any f-body.

.....It's a big difference in those 50 little cubic centimeters. :wink:

CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant

Post by CJaguar442 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:33 pm

bone stock except for the radio. i know the crossfire was a pieace of sh@T. in my opinon carburator is much better
Save the Clocktower!

DevonStyles
FLAG Recruit

Post by DevonStyles » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:35 pm

I think you should hit up Kbb.com and that can give you an accurate price. HOnestly something people don't usually consider when selling or buying a car is location. For instance I live in MI where we have snow 1/2 the year. A well kept low milage Trans am can fetch a few thousand more in the the summertime versus the wintertime. :karr:
edited by the good folks at knightrideronline

CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant

Post by CJaguar442 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:42 pm

i use nada they do alot better in price for cars older than 1990
Save the Clocktower!

GarthKnight08
FLAG Recruit

Post by GarthKnight08 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:10 pm

BlackMagic84 wrote:I remember when I use to drive it everyday......I had a friend that has about a 1990 Mustang GT with the 5.0, and we'd play around on the road together, but he couldn't keep up!
You know i see people here keep saying that their basiclly stock 3rd gen smoked the 87-92 5 liter Mustangs. I had a 87 GT & 89 LX 5 liter Mustangs & both were 5-speeds. I must have raced at least 2 dozen 3rd gen Trans Ams & GTA's & neither could hold a candle to both of my cars that had only the no-cat H-pipe & Flowmasters. I mean it wasnt even close the TA's got destroyed. My buddy had a 89 Firebird Formula 350 & thats all we would do on Friday & Saturday nights is go find the hot spots & race people & on the way we would race each other (man those were the days) & he couldnt keep up either. Sometimes we would switch cars & from working at car dealers for years ive driven every 3rd gen you can just about think of, now dont get me wrong i absolutley love 3rd gen TA's & anything before & after but in no way shape or form did they ever impress me enough from behind the wheel or from my rearview mirror that they can keep up with a 87-92 Mustang 5-speed stock.
Founder of OKA (Original KITT Anonymous)
If you need to get out feelings of loss for the Original KITT then we can help!

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:04 pm

KBB sucks. To see what a car is worth you have to see what other cars of the same options are selling for.

Yes, TBI 305s sucked. I had one in my 92 Camaro. It was horrible. :x
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

BlackMagic84
Recruit

Post by BlackMagic84 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:47 pm

CJaguar442 wrote:bone stock except for the radio. i know the crossfire was a pieace of sh@T. in my opinon carburator is much better

Well ok, that helps me out with my evaulation....

Alright, so we have a completely stock and original 1983 Pontiac TransAm Daytona 500 Edition with a 305 Crossfire....

You're really lucky that this car has hit the ripe age of 25. The value has definitley turned and will continue to go up.

#2 - NASCAR has made such a resurgence that anything with the words "Daytona 500 Edition" on it sure will help.

You may want to compare what similar ones are going for also, and even consult an expert on appraised value. (I recommend Jerry Brock, who has been a Camaro/Firebird enthusiast for many years and owns and operates a shop soley dedicated to Camaro/Firebird high performance and restoration only.)

He's always got stuff on eBay: http://stores.ebay.com/Brocks-Camaro-and-Firebird-Parts

Address/Contact Info:
5015 Edmund Hwy
West Columbia, South Carolina 29170
Phone: 803-955-3181
Email: brockscambird@wmconnect.com

He can most likely give you an accurate appraisal, but if I had to guess, I'll bet it would be somewhere in the $6,000 to $8,000 range. You're up north, so the figure may be higher.

Good Luck.

BlackMagic84
Recruit

Post by BlackMagic84 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:07 pm

GarthKnight08 wrote:
BlackMagic84 wrote:I remember when I use to drive it everyday......I had a friend that has about a 1990 Mustang GT with the 5.0, and we'd play around on the road together, but he couldn't keep up!
You know i see people here keep saying that their basiclly stock 3rd gen smoked the 87-92 5 liter Mustangs. I had a 87 GT & 89 LX 5 liter Mustangs & both were 5-speeds. I must have raced at least 2 dozen 3rd gen Trans Ams & GTA's & neither could hold a candle to both of my cars that had only the no-cat H-pipe & Flowmasters. I mean it wasnt even close the TA's got destroyed. My buddy had a 89 Firebird Formula 350 & thats all we would do on Friday & Saturday nights is go find the hot spots & race people & on the way we would race each other (man those were the days) & he couldnt keep up either. Sometimes we would switch cars & from working at car dealers for years ive driven every 3rd gen you can just about think of, now dont get me wrong i absolutley love 3rd gen TA's & anything before & after but in no way shape or form did they ever impress me enough from behind the wheel or from my rearview mirror that they can keep up with a 87-92 Mustang 5-speed stock.

Well, I don't know what to tell you, every situation is different. Some folks' cars are "ragged out" and some have additional "bells and whistles" giving them an unfair advantage.

All I can say is what made the 87-Early 90 5.0 Mustang's "appear" so fast was that low gear ratio. No doubt on the take off they were hell, but over 100mph they really didn't have much left in them.

Real example: Myself and that friend I was telling you about were coming back from a weekend stay with mutual friends in Eastern North Carolina about the spring of 1999. We both had to work about mid-way though the next day, so we left N.C. at midnight the night before, headed south on I-95. And if you know anything about the area, then you know I-95 is dead at night. No traffic and no cops.

We were both cruising around 80-85 mph and he decided he wanted to "play".

So as he eased up beside me in the passing lane and we kept edging each other nose by nose until I noticed we were up to about 110mph. So I grew quickly ancey with the situation and figured I'd end it. I stomped my pedal and he stomped his, and as the cars both approached 120 to 125mph, he just began to stall as I continued walking away from him, I finally touched 130 or so and let off, and he was already three car lengths behind at that point and new he had been dusted.

And let me say that I know both these cars by heart, of course the GTA being mine, I knew, but I had been friends with him since he bought his '89 5.0 Mustang GT.

Both cars were in "Superior shape" with low miles for their age and had never been "ragged out".

As I said before, mine was the stock '91 GTA with a 5.7L, TPI and WS6 Suspension. The only thing "un-stock" I had was Flowmaster exhaust and a K&N air filter.

His was an '89 GT 5.0L, with a 5 speed. He didn't have a Flowmaster, but he did have headers and also a K&N.

Virtually it was an even stock match up.

And in "top speed" the Mustang was no match at all. :wink:

A 5.0L Mustang in those days "was a 5.0L Mustang".

What I mean by that is, Ford done a better job than GM of producing more and consistent "top of the line" Mustangs. Like I said, a "5.0 was a 5.0" and they are were equally fast.

Whereas, G.M. had so many different configurations.

You could get a "top of the line" (which I believe mine was) TransAm GTA with the 5.7L 350, TPI and WS6 suspension package.

But you also could get a TransAm without being a GTA, WS6, or a 350 engine. Too many variables made for quite a difference.

In other words, you being in a mustang and pulling up to a stop light and seeing a TransAm sitting next to you, couldn't really tell if you were getting the "big boy" or a "lightweight".

I never met a stock Mustang of those years that got the best of me, I can tell you that.

....What was most priceless was the look on their face after it was over! :lol:

GarthKnight08
FLAG Recruit

Post by GarthKnight08 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:17 pm

BlackMagic84 wrote:
GarthKnight08 wrote:
BlackMagic84 wrote:In other words, you being in a mustang and pulling up to a stop light and seeing a TransAm sitting next to you, couldn't really tell if you were getting the "big boy" or a "lightweight".
I know the 3rd gen's inside & out & can tell if it had a 305 or 350. The 350 was very rare in your standard Trans Am except in the GTA & the Formula 350's were easy to spot. Ive driven them all man the 305's were dog's & the 350's werent all that better unless they were modded. The automatic Mustang 5.0's were dog's aswell, the 5-speed Mustang 5.0's on the other hand are rockets from a roll & you cant tell me that any 3rd gen can touch a 5-speed 5.0 from 20 to 120 mph. By no means am i Ford advocate but if you look at the stats of the cars i believe the stock 350's turn 16's in the quarter mile.

BlackMagic84
Recruit

Post by BlackMagic84 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:29 pm

GarthKnight08 wrote: I know the 3rd gen's inside & out & can tell if it had a 305 or 350. The 350 was very rare in your standard Trans Am except in the GTA & the Formula 350's were easy to spot. Ive driven them all man the 305's were dog's & the 350's werent all that better unless they were modded. The automatic Mustang 5.0's were dog's aswell, the 5-speed Mustang 5.0's on the other hand are rockets from a roll & you cant tell me that any 3rd gen can touch a 5-speed 5.0 from 20 to 120 mph. By no means am i Ford advocate but if you look at the stats of the cars i believe the stock 350's turn 16's in the quarter mile.

....but mine wasn't a "standard TransAm", it was GTA. (w/TPI, Posi-trac rear-end, WS6 package and the new cat-converter.)

And I have to dissagree with you on saying that there wasn't much differene in the 305 to the 350 in TransAms. Unless you were riding in a 350 that was ragged out or a 305 that was really beefed up. There was a huge difference. And in my opinion the Formula was a joke compared to the GTA. In 1991 Pontiac revised the cat-converter on the GTA to a different standard, thus producing more horses than the Formula and older GTA models.

.....of course maybe mine was just a freak of nature???

I will add this too. Not after the car was a year old (sometime around 1992), for some unknown reason the oil pressure pump went bad in it (maybe it was just a lemon I guess), well, the second owner (who was the guy I purchased the car from) was also a mechanic, and instead of replacing it with the standard/factory pump, he replaced it with a one that was designed for a Corvette. What's the big difference you ask?

Well, we all know that as a engine gets hotter, it loses Oil Pressure. (You can see this on the gauge)

Typically, and my first F-body I had (the '89 RS Camaro) would start up and be somewhere around 50lbs. of oil pressure and then drop on down to 20 to 30 when it reached optimum temperature.

Once the Corvette pump was installed and even to this very day, when I start my car the pressure goes all the way over to the right. (past 60lbs. which is the max.) And it never drops below it, no matter how hot it gets.

Therefore....

More Oil Pressure = More Power.

CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant

Post by CJaguar442 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:50 pm

i had an appraisal done on my car the dude said it would get $10,000 at auction.
but nada states that a clean car would be close to $15,000 at current retail value which is unrealstic there is dudes on the web selling them at $20,000+
Save the Clocktower!

GarthKnight08
FLAG Recruit

Post by GarthKnight08 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:44 pm

BlackMagic84 wrote:
GarthKnight08 wrote: I
And I have to dissagree with you on saying that there wasn't much differene in the 305 to the 350 in TransAms. And in my opinion the Formula was a joke compared to the GTA. In 1991 Pontiac revised the cat-converter on the GTA to a different standard, thus producing more horses than the Formula and older GTA models.

I have to seriously disagree with on that one the Formula 350 was lighter without all that stuff that came on the GTA & was the top of the line 3rd gen Firebird in my opinion, it had all the performance goodies that came with the GTA aswell. And some came with a 5-speed , imagine that! Just because a Trans Am has GTA badging doesnt automaticly mean that its a faster car than the normal Trans Ams or Formulas with the same motor & suspension.

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:12 pm

BlackMagic84 wrote: In 1991 Pontiac revised the cat-converter on the GTA to a different standard, thus producing more horses than the Formula and older GTA models.
Formulas also had the N10 Dual Converter option in 1991.

Oh and something is wrong with your car running at 60 PSi of oil pressure. Sounds like He messed up the wiring for the sensor and it's reading wrong. Corvettes used the same L98 and they dont even run at 60 PSI. Running at max oil pressure is bad.
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

BlackMagic84
Recruit

Post by BlackMagic84 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:40 pm

GarthKnight08 wrote:
BlackMagic84 wrote:
GarthKnight08 wrote: I
And I have to dissagree with you on saying that there wasn't much differene in the 305 to the 350 in TransAms. And in my opinion the Formula was a joke compared to the GTA. In 1991 Pontiac revised the cat-converter on the GTA to a different standard, thus producing more horses than the Formula and older GTA models.

I have to seriously disagree with on that one the Formula 350 was lighter without all that stuff that came on the GTA & was the top of the line 3rd gen Firebird in my opinion, it had all the performance goodies that came with the GTA aswell. And some came with a 5-speed , imagine that! Just because a Trans Am has GTA badging doesnt automaticly mean that its a faster car than the normal Trans Ams or Formulas with the same motor & suspension.
....No, but the fact mine cranks out over 60lbs. of oil pressure continuously, sure sets it apart. :wink:
Attachments
Anyway, here is the picture I was promising.  I left my digital camera at the office, so all I had to take it with was my cell phone (1.3 mega Pix.....I know, that stinks)
Anyway, here is the picture I was promising. I left my digital camera at the office, so all I had to take it with was my cell phone (1.3 mega Pix.....I know, that stinks)
91GTA.jpg (74.8 KiB) Viewed 18498 times
.....the interior.....immaculate leather.
.....the interior.....immaculate leather.
91GTA_INT.jpg (69.52 KiB) Viewed 18498 times

BlackMagic84
Recruit

Post by BlackMagic84 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:48 pm

TurbomanKnight wrote:Oh and something is wrong with your car running at 60 PSi of oil pressure. Sounds like He messed up the wiring for the sensor and it's reading wrong. Corvettes used the same L98 and they dont even run at 60 PSI. Running at max oil pressure is bad.

First of all 60lbs. of oil pressure is not the maximum. That just happens to be how much the gauge indicates.

Secondly, I have never heard of that. (It being "bad" running at that level, or that high oil pressure is a bad thing) Actually it's quite the opposite. You ask anyone that does recreational or professional automotive racing if higher oil pressure is "good" or "bad". Of course it's good.

And I can tell you there is no wiring or censors hooked up incorrectly.

I've had the car since 1998, and it has always ran at that pressure, and she runs like she's brand new.

I have two mechanics that have worked on that car over the years.....both with 25 years experience under their belt and one a camaro/firebird specialists, both are aware of the oil pressure, both have commented on it being a "good thing".

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:10 pm

Here's some fun little information, checked few Finnish places (mostly from nettiauto.com) about 3rd gen Firebird's and found out the following prices, unfortunately there didn't happen to be any '91 GTA:s:
- Completely wrecked '92 Firebird 5,0l: 1800€ = 2,762.43 USD
- '92 Firebird 3,2l, 152.000km, 5700€ = 8,747.50 USD
- '91 Firebird 3,2l, 210.000km, 8000€ = 12,278.17 USD
- '92 Firebird 5,0l, 142.000km, 8700€ = 13,352.68 USD
- '91 Trans-Am 5,0l, 212.000km, 12000€ = 18,416.58 USD

Also many Firebird's / Trans-Am's from late eighties which are the most common type of these cars here, 1986-92, prices 6600€ - 12900€ = 10,129.97 USD - 19,803.67 USD

Some rarities:
- '83 Trans-Am T-top 5,0l, 5990€ = 9,197.01 USD
- '83 Trans-Am Daytona 500 pace car, 5,0l engine, 84879km, 2 owners, 18800€ = 28,862.46 USD