POLL: KITT's Voice Box

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

What Voice Box Should KITT Have?

Leave the original LED bar system, if it's not broke don't fix it.
75%
Make KITT's vox a HUD system that displays on the windshield
2%
Use the NBCU i-phone voice EKG effect
4%
Make it like the Mustang KITT scanner, with diffused light.
19%

Total votes: 57

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

POLL: KITT's Voice Box

Post by Victor Kros » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:10 am

Pretty self explainatory.

=VK=
:dash:

knightprobe89
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: POLL: KITT's Voice Box

Post by knightprobe89 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:25 am

i voted for the original led bar system, because it has a better modulation effect than the other choices.
in glen larson we trust.

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant

Post by JJSoCrazy » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:32 am

This was a tough one. I an a way I really like the original L.E.D. light bar system, however I think it is a little outdated. I tried to come up with a new idea but nothing really struck me yet, maybe later.

For now the original, but it needs to be refreshed!

KarlKnightRider
Recruit

Post by KarlKnightRider » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:20 pm

I think a new take on the LED system would work. Most importantly, I believe if KITT is going to be seen as the car rather than just the computer in the car, then the voice box should be placed where it was originally. The Mustang dash makes it feel more to me like the car is just the car, KITT is just the center screen.

I know this is going to be difficult to explain, but instead of LED bars, you have a similar shape of movement, but for a sort of set of red light "lips". So the motion will be like that of the Mustangs voicebox rather than bars, but it will be based on a light getting bigger from the middle outwards baring a similar resemblence to a set of lips.

The Shadow
Volunteer

Post by The Shadow » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:28 pm

I still really like the 'bar' style adopted as the show went on. But I think it's not entirely out of the question to use a modified version for the feature film. Instead of a dedicated display for the 'voice box' perhaps have it be a multi-function display for whatever with the 'voice bars' being the default setting. This way KITT can use it for things Michael needs to know about quickly.

However, considering that KITT will probably have a couple other multifunction displays in the dash it making the "voice box" a multifunction display could be redundant.
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:23 pm

I voted for "Leave the original LED bar system, if it's not broke don't fix it." The reason being is that the 3-bar L.E.D. voice modulator is as much a trademark of K.I.T.T. as the red scanner is. Of course I would expect to see a more high-tech variation of it, but the 3 red bars should remain intact in some form. The NBC telepic did the right thing by not duplicating the modulator because the Mustang was a different vehicle, personality and scanner. Since the movie is a reimagining, classic K.I.T.T.'s main features should remain recognizable, yet slightly reimagined like the film itself. Perhaps a pulsating 3-bar display similar to the Knight 3000's scanner might work?
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

PaoloM
Recruit

Post by PaoloM » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:34 pm

The original layout with diffused light will perfectly do, in my opinion.

Hardkore
Volunteer

Post by Hardkore » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:32 am

As much as I like the original,it just seems outdated. They should come up with something fresh and modern like they did with then KI3T. Then again, I agree where it needs to brought to more eye level like the original.

Just please don't make it like the iphone in KI3T,keep it separate.

SuperchargedGS
Volunteer

Post by SuperchargedGS » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:02 am

I also like the original LED bars although a three bar diffused modulator might be neat also

Knight2000
FLAG Recruit

Post by Knight2000 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:19 am

I don't know what a diffused LED display would look like but I would have gone for a 'solid' 3-bar setup a bit like:

I'd also lose the 3 modes underneath and have one box which changes colour and text.

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:41 am

Voted the original style 3 bar LED voicebox. Tried to think something else too, like what is the purpose of the voice display. Came up with the thought it's visual symbol informing that KITT has something to say. Tried photoshopped pic about simple blinking speaker symbol, kind of like the 1st season red square was blinking in sync of KITT's voice but the 3 stripe LED bar looks way cooler. Had another thought that it's also a VU-meter measuring the volume of KITT's voice and as such the original LED display is the coolest I've seen.
The EKG / Oscilloscope voicebox feels to me it's too "easy" and not creative at all since probably every computer these days have mediaplayers that have that kind of audio visualizations to choose.

If it ain't broken, don't fix it, the original KITT's design is brilliant in so many ways even today :)

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Victor Kros » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:51 am

KITTfan wrote:Had another thought that it's also a VU-meter measuring the volume of KITT's voice and as such the original LED display is the coolest I've seen.
The EKG / Oscilloscope voicebox feels to me it's too "easy" and not creative at all since probably every computer these days have mediaplayers that have that kind of audio visualizations to choose.
good observations kittfan.
Knight2000 wrote:I don't know what a diffused LED display would look like but I would have gone for a 'solid' 3-bar setup
I disagree with solid red bars for KITT's voice box Knight2000, it would really look like a step back I think because it would feel more like an Atari vector graphic. A flashing light would get extremely annoying after awhile as well I think, it served it's purpose in the pilot and first season though.

Diffuse light is basically putting up a film to make the light spread/scatter more evenly which causes the lights behind it to blend together, making lights more blurred together so you don't see distinctively points of light. It's what they did with the front of the new Mustang Scanner, how all those 480+ LEDs blend together to look like a traveling neon tube like lighting effect.

Incidentially I found it interesting that the CG guys have stated that they still needed to use CG for the scanner in the backdoor pilot because the light rig still wasn't functioning correctly. I wonder how much of the pilot is real practical light in the hood scoop and what is just a CG enhancement.

I know how I would approach updating the voice box unit, but I have to keep those concepts off the radar for the time being.

=VK=

scottab21
FLAG Recruit

Post by scottab21 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:27 pm

I think the "movie" version should be a mix of the old AND the new. As much as I like the original, the truth is that the three bar LED setup kinda screams old 80's style stereo equipment. If you grew up in the 80's then you know what I mean by that. It would be nice to see it incorporated right above the steering wheel as in the original. As for the style, maybe a diffused red light in a diamond shape that would move from center out when KITT speaks. 8)

:kitt: :karr:

knightrover
Volunteer

Post by knightrover » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:07 am

i voted for the original voice modulator, they should do an updated version of it.

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant

Post by JJSoCrazy » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:07 am

victor kros wrote:
KITTfan wrote:Had another thought that it's also a VU-meter measuring the volume of KITT's voice and as such the original LED display is the coolest I've seen.
good observations kittfan.
Knight2000 wrote:I don't know what a diffused LED display would look like but I would have gone for a 'solid' 3-bar setup
I disagree with solid red bars for KITT's voice box Knight2000, it would really look like a step back I think because it would feel more like an Atari vector graphic. A flashing light would get extremely annoying after awhile as well I think, it served it's purpose in the pilot and first season though.

Diffuse light is basically putting up a film to make the light spread/scatter more evenly which causes the lights behind it to blend together, making lights more blurred together so you don't see distinctively points of light. It's what they did with the front of the new Mustang Scanner, how all those 480+ LEDs blend together to look like a traveling neon tube like lighting effect.

Incidentially I found it interesting that the CG guys have stated that they still needed to use CG for the scanner in the backdoor pilot because the light rig still wasn't functioning correctly. I wonder how much of the pilot is real practical light in the hood scoop and what is just a CG enhancement.

I know how I would approach updating the voice box unit, but I have to keep those concepts off the radar for the time being.

=VK=
I actually had a long conversation with the fellow, I believe Pierre is his name who created it. Very interesting, he was almost canned and in 3 days with almost no sleep created it. I am actually getting a new Mustang very soon and want to do a KITT replica myself! :D

Knight2000
FLAG Recruit

Post by Knight2000 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:06 pm

victor kros wrote:

The way that you've explained diffusing is the exact picture I had. I wanted to VB to be like S3/4 but all the leds blended to a solid form, so they still move/oscillate like the S2/3/4 VB, not a solid flashing light ala S1. Perhaps a change in colour when something happens eg car damage/change in mode/etc

It needs to be different to the NBC 08 version and I feel a natural progression of the VB would be better unless there is something else that works well. I wouldn't want a floating 3D head representing KITT or something.

MJknight
Operative

Post by MJknight » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:51 pm

I'm sticking with the old-skool effect. It ain't broke, therefore, don't fix it.
One Man Can Make A Difference - Wilton Knight

tharpdevenport
Operative

Post by tharpdevenport » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:04 pm

So far the overwhelming 84% agree on the original.

On the windshield is distracting, annouying, and costs more in special effcts money and can look "Fake", while an actual box with real lights is cheaper and very real.
And when things appeared to get better, they got worse, and everyday was a day to cry.

KITT Season 4
Rookie

Post by KITT Season 4 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:45 pm

Its it possible to have the 3bar vbox on the speedometer? cause i think it would look pretty cool

::Jon::
Recruit

Post by ::Jon:: » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:08 am

Knight2000 wrote:I don't know what a diffused LED display would look like
... I have picked this option, while I liked the original LED look, I think a high-resolution version of this would be the best option.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:52 pm

I always liked the 2nd original bar-type system (the original was actually a blinking red box). So I voted for the bar-type display. It just was like the "face" of KITT somehow.

JL
Operative

Post by JL » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:01 pm

I voted for a diffused light version of the three-bar system. It would keep the "face" of KITT that folks are familiar with, but it would be keeping up with modern tech. Perhaps if KITT got damaged they could switch to something that looks more like the old design where you could see the individual LEDs (like how KITT's display looked "broken" after he was damaged in "Goliath" and "Knight of the Drones").

Dukeboy320
Rookie

Post by Dukeboy320 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:55 pm

if they HAD to i meen HAD to the most i would want it changed is like the first epasodes. but i voted keep it the same.