POLL: KITT's Dash

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

What Kind of Dash Should KITT Have?

I want a dash that has flashing lights/LEDs and advanced digital displays, multiple push buttons and a stylish feel like the Scheffe design.
69%
I want a dash that is streamlined with most buttons combined like an i-phone interface, and has a HUD display system.
23%
I want a dash that is streamlined with most buttons combined like an i-phone interface, free of distraction like the NBCU design.
6%
I want a dash like KIFT in Knight Rider 2000
2%
I want as less distraction as possible, keep it stock.
No votes

Total votes: 48

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

POLL: KITT's Dash

Post by Victor Kros » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:04 am

I think this is one of those subjects that needs to be explored because I know there are people who prefer the Scheffe Dash style graphics and others who prefer a more streamlined format.

The majority will factor into the direction of the artistic decision process.

=VK=
:dash:

knightprobe89
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: POLL: KITT's Dash

Post by knightprobe89 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:28 am

i voted for the original style with flashing led display like the scheffe design.
in glen larson we trust.

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant

Post by JJSoCrazy » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:30 am

I tried to post the most accurate dash that I would like to see but here goes:

- The whole idea of the iPhone (which I have and LOVE) is a good idea. It makes the use of a touchscreen which all advanced objects such as phones, computers, and many other technological features also my Nav in my car, touch screen is a MUST. However not the whole dash, but some should be touch such as the screen or whatever they use in order to access the police database, DMV records, etc..
- The buttons could be used for some of the features again but in a more advanced way such as the Eject roof and such.
- I do wish to have the original dash somewhat, I mean all those L.E.D.'s aren't necessary but some are sufficient.
- I like the idea of a H.U.D. and a design on the dash that is similar to a unique dash with in itself, not like the NBC KR08 dash, that wasn't that spectacular.
- The main monitor should be towards the lower center of the dash that will show everything that is visibly needed such as the rear of the car when in pursuit or when looking up a bad guy's profile. There should be a monitor of some sort but I am sure that Glen and TWC will come up with some unique ideas.

Basically Knight Ride in today's day and age needs an advanced look and can't resemble the original dash 100%, we need something that will blow everyone away. Too many lights are just annoying in today's day and age, touch screen and some unique L.E.D.'s should do it!

( BTW I am watching Knight Rider as a I type, Slammin Sammy's! :) )

Matthew
Site Administrator

Post by Matthew » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:58 pm

For quiet some time, I’ve felt that the perfect way to update KITT’s dashboard would be to simply convert the LED readouts to touch screen panels. This keeps all of the gauges and readouts visible at all times, like they should be for a car that is essentially a prototype aircraft inside the body of a car, but also technologically updates the look significantly.

Imagine, for example, the third season dashboard as it was originally presented, with whiteout LED’s. When the engine is turned off, it would be blacked out entirely. Turn the ignition key one notch, and the whiteout look powers up. Turn the key to the second notch, and the readouts begin to come to life in the traditional yellow, green and red colour scheme. Turn the key to the third notch, and the engine comes to life along with the speedometer, tachometer, and vehicular gauges, such as the odometer.

I think this would be the perfect look for the new movie, as it gives off a visual link to KITT’s slick black shell, and updates the technology without alienating what captured our hearts in the first place.

Matt
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

gold333
Volunteer

Post by gold333 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:15 pm

Should it not feature some far-out, out of the box way of thinking about a car dashboard?

Like the wii did for console gaming.

That means some serious HCI and ergonomics research. If you're lucky you can find people who have done the research already in various automotive industries. Some of these designers will toy with implementation ideas free of constraints of material costs or feasibility.

Those are the ones you want to see.

Hardkore
Volunteer

Post by Hardkore » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:41 am

JJSoCrazy wrote:I tried to post the most accurate dash that I would like to see but here goes:

- The whole idea of the iPhone (which I have and LOVE) is a good idea. It makes the use of a touchscreen which all advanced objects such as phones, computers, and many other technological features also my Nav in my car, touch screen is a MUST. However not the whole dash, but some should be touch such as the screen or whatever they use in order to access the police database, DMV records, etc..
- The buttons could be used for some of the features again but in a more advanced way such as the Eject roof and such.
- I do wish to have the original dash somewhat, I mean all those L.E.D.'s aren't necessary but some are sufficient.
- I like the idea of a H.U.D. and a design on the dash that is similar to a unique dash with in itself, not like the NBC KR08 dash, that wasn't that spectacular.
- The main monitor should be towards the lower center of the dash that will show everything that is visibly needed such as the rear of the car when in pursuit or when looking up a bad guy's profile. There should be a monitor of some sort but I am sure that Glen and TWC will come up with some unique ideas.

Basically Knight Ride in today's day and age needs an advanced look and can't resemble the original dash 100%, we need something that will blow everyone away. Too many lights are just annoying in today's day and age, touch screen and some unique L.E.D.'s should do it!

That is exactly what I was thinking!

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:36 am

I voted the original style dashboard with flashing lights & LEDs + multiple buttons etc. as well. Mostly because it looks awesome and have actual purpose in the design, informative digital readouts with "scale" readout (for instance MPH readout including the actual MPH and the current speed in 0-200 MPH scale readout). Also the dash curving towards the driver in the center and the "satellite switchpods" behind the steering "wheel" is ergonomic solution. It was brilliant design and went very well with the car's exterior design having also actual purpose, being the most aerodynamic production car at the time. Perfect combination in my opinion :)

If using some touchscreen, in the worst case in order to get any function done, for instance turboboost, you'd have to wake up the screen from screensaver, go trough some menu's, press OK, maybe even set some numerical values, and finally then get the function done. I think in the fast paced car chase you don't have the time to "surf" in the menus, you need quick solution that does what you need with a press of a button.
I use touchscreen every day at work to program certain industrial machines to do what's needed and I've found the touchscreen being slow. Maybe there exist faster ones but with this specific machine I'm faster at typing the numbers & pressing the virtual MENU & OK, etc. buttons than the computer detecting & processing & updating the touchscreen.

knightrover
Volunteer

Post by knightrover » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:10 am

i voted for the original dash design with push buttons.

PaoloM
Recruit

Post by PaoloM » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:51 am

In my opinion there is no need to do a revolution. You can keep the idea, the concept, the layout, the look and feel of the original dash and modernize it as much as you want without having something completely different. A brilliant designer is surely able to come up with some good idea to preserve and appeal.

BlackMagic84
Recruit

Post by BlackMagic84 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:05 pm

victor kros wrote:I think this is one of those subjects that needs to be explored because I know there are people who prefer the Scheffe Dash style graphics and others who prefer a more streamlined format.

The majority will factor into the direction of the artistic decision process.

=VK=

It needs to be like Scheffe's design but with a modern touch.

Knight2000
FLAG Recruit

Post by Knight2000 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:06 pm

Matthew wrote:For quiet some time, I’ve felt that the perfect way to update KITT’s dashboard would be to simply convert the LED readouts to touch screen panels. This keeps all of the gauges and readouts visible at all times, like they should be for a car that is essentially a prototype aircraft inside the body of a car, but also technologically updates the look significantly.

Imagine, for example, the third season dashboard as it was originally presented, with whiteout LED’s. When the engine is turned off, it would be blacked out entirely. Turn the ignition key one notch, and the whiteout look powers up. Turn the key to the second notch, and the readouts begin to come to life in the traditional yellow, green and red colour scheme. Turn the key to the third notch, and the engine comes to life along with the speedometer, tachometer, and vehicular gauges, such as the odometer.

I think this would be the perfect look for the new movie, as it gives off a visual link to KITT’s slick black shell, and updates the technology without alienating what captured our hearts in the first place.

Matt
This is exactly the look and feel I wanted my own KITT to be like (if I ever made one). IMO, when the dash is off, everything should be black - no markings or anything. I'd like the dash to be like a T-shape - one long black strip across the top and another perpendicular coming down to the lower console in one smooth curved strip.

The volvo S40 has a similar feel to what I mean with the curved bit:
clicky

This is how I think it should be:

I feel the wheel needs to be unique and updated, and figured the gearstick should also be updated. I'd like it to be smooth, curved (dome-like at the top) with a red button as the shift button.

I agree there should be some buttons but didn't know where to put them. They should be minimal and discrete but provide some kind of override function. The new KITT should be able to take care of most, if not all functions. The rest should be touchscreen displays (I liked this in TKR). Maybe certain buttons/screens are adjusted to show different things depending on what's needed. eg a stealth-mode could show engine noise/exhaust emissions/car temps/amount of active heat reduction. a sleuth-mode could show a map, a satellite overview and a radar pic.

Kaine
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kaine » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:16 am

i'd like to see something roughly in this style:

also the dash should be roughly shaped like the one in the original KITT...

PaoloM
Recruit

Post by PaoloM » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:46 am

Kaine wrote:i'd like to see something roughly in this style:

also the dash should be roughly shaped like the one in the original KITT...
Very nice. Keep the original layout and turn the color theme to red, maybe.

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant

Post by JJSoCrazy » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:29 am

I definetly like that saab concept interior but I really would like to see a touch screen type of system like the iphone and an HUD (heads up display) as well as being incorporated with Scheffe's design, why not contact him on a futuristic update Victor?

Joe

PaoloM
Recruit

Post by PaoloM » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:36 am

You know when KITT's interior is done right if people watching inside the car are amazed and stunned, like in the original show. The "wow" effect.

Knight2000
FLAG Recruit

Post by Knight2000 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:28 pm

That Saab concept looks very nice. I think a similar 'high-tech' look is needed, and I'd love for the electronic screen to be extended to the right.

PaoloM, you're right - if done correctly, we should all be amazed and pleased with the dash. You want to instill the "wish my dash looked like that" desire into the audience.

MJknight
Operative

Post by MJknight » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:06 pm

I'd like best of both worlds. The original Scheffe design with modern aspects of touchscreen added.
One Man Can Make A Difference - Wilton Knight

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant

Post by JJSoCrazy » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:11 am

Also a 3D/Hi Tech look with grids of KITT revolving on a monitor showing his defects/damage/etc would be cool, like when he has a system analysis of some sort. Kinda like when you see the new KITT in the new NBC movie on the computer monitors, the 3D type of pic of the Mustang revolving kinda look.

Stargazer
Operative

Post by Stargazer » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:12 pm

I like the original buttons and lights, but it would be nice to have touch buttons and LCD screens in place of the boob tube screens and maysbe even replace the LEDs with LCD panels with a general layout of the original KITT dash.... more of "Best of Both Worlds". Give KITT the original layout with touch buttons on the pods and LCD screen layout with the red dots in place of the LEDs (Not certain if I'm clear enough for someone to figure out what I'm saying).

I just don't care for everything localized in one area.

Not sure what everyone thinks... but maybe have a voice box that is LCD with chevron bars (more lightning chevron pattern - jagged chevrons? ) that flash in the same pattern as the bar graphs did on the original KITT

Cobra
Volunteer

Post by Cobra » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:09 am

I voted for the " I want a dash that has flashing lights/LEDs and advanced digital displays, multiple push buttons and a stylish feel like the Scheffe design" option.

I think the "wow" factor of the dash cannot be stressed enough. The key is not to overdo it to the point where instead of "Wow, now that is the dash of the future!" to "Wow, that dash looks so cheesy and over-done."

Getting a feel for the taste of people in 2008 and what they believe is futuristic is a lot different than what the folks in the 80's thought. The original interior was a bullseye in the 80s. Now we need to make sure the same can be done for a movie that is to be out around 2010-2011.

I am glad Victor Kros is taking the time to get a feel for what the fans want (unlike the NBC 2008 Knight Rider TV movie). It is very much appreciated.

With regards to ideas, here are some that can be used as inspiration for the new dash:

Cobra
Volunteer

Post by Cobra » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:12 am

Some of the dash examples above are too simple for my tastes but they have some aspects (ie. steering wheel, button design, monitors, etc.) that make it worthy of posting here.

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:38 am

Thanks for the photos Cobra. Some interesting possibilities here. I agree that you want a "wow" factor without going too far overboard into a "cheesy" factor. I think what NBCU did with their interface was too simple and too isolated to just that one center panel of the Mustang. We know that it had digital gauges as well but rarely saw them. The majority of the time it was Mike and Sarah looking down into the oversized iPhone-like panel while sitting in their seat with their hands in their laps with nothing to do.

I missed physical interaction like pressing a button and something happens. It seemed the majority of the new KITT's functions, KITT made on it's own or under a verbal command rather then a real physical initiation. Just a bit too automated for my tastes.

=VK=

GarthKnight08
FLAG Recruit

Post by GarthKnight08 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:31 am

victor kros wrote: I think what NBCU did with their interface was too simple and too isolated to just that one center panel of the Mustang. We know that it had digital gauges as well but rarely saw them.
You know guys sometimes simple is a good thing, i like the iphone type display on KITT. Why have to have a ton of buttons around when you can just page through them all on one screen? Only thing i think it could possibly use are pod buttons close to the wheel like on the original for fast action. Say if with the pods you could program them with the main center console interface. Now if you go too far with 10 lcd screens & crazy colors all over the place or too retro with a array of big block buttons it would look ridiculous. I think for the times now it looks fine & could just use minor tweaks. Its not the year 2099 nor is it 1982.

=GK08=
:dash4:
Founder of OKA (Original KITT Anonymous)
If you need to get out feelings of loss for the Original KITT then we can help!

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:40 pm

GarthKnight08 wrote:
victor kros wrote: I think what NBCU did with their interface was too simple and too isolated to just that one center panel of the Mustang. We know that it had digital gauges as well but rarely saw them.
You know guys sometimes simple is a good thing, i like the iphone type display on KITT. Why have to have a ton of buttons around when you can just page through them all on one screen? Only thing i think it could possibly use are pod buttons close to the wheel like on the original for fast action. Say if with the pods you could program them with the main center console interface. Now if you go too far with 10 lcd screens & crazy colors all over the place or too retro with a array of big block buttons it would look ridiculous. I think for the times now it looks fine & could just use minor tweaks. Its not the year 2099 nor is it 1982.

=GK08=
:dash4:
- I believe the poll numbers speak for themselves and last time I checked the NBC dash isn't fairing too well. Buttons are a necessity because LCD screens, touch screens and the like take time to warm up and in the heat of a moment where split decisions are necessary you don't have time to cycle through drop down menus to find a function. For this reason, physical buttons at the ready will still remain superior.

=VK=