RE: Larson's Executive Producer Credit

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

RE: Larson's Executive Producer Credit

Post by Victor Kros » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:08 pm

NOTE: I am not speaking on behalf of Glen Larson, I am answering this question based on the information I am allowed to disclose on the matter.

Here's what you need to be aware of.

#1 Larson owns a large portion of merchandising rights for Knight Rider in any of it's forms be it made for tv or a spin-off series. Likewise with Battlestar Galactica.

#2. Larson must give his permission or an alternative offer for ANY property he created, whether it's a remake, sequel, or whatever else applies. Just because he doesn't choose to get directly involved in said project, he must still be given a option and given proper credit if he chooses to do so.

#3. Larson owns all the theatrical/motion picture rights to his created properties. While Universal (and NBC now) owns the television rights to make as many spinoffs, remakes, and sequels as they choose for television they cannot present these properties theatrically without giving him compensation or being given permission to do so. Although they have found a loophole to show these "television events" in a theater (BSG: Razor), by not charging people money to see it. It's petty but legal.

#4. Larson must be given credit as executive producer on any of his television properties regardless of his level of involvement. NBCU chose to exclude him from the production process making his ability to offer executive producer services not possible hence an "empty" credit.

Larson receiving credit for "characters" is essentially an empty credit, no money is exhanged for this credit it's just a nod to his involvement in the creation of said property. A stand alone "Created by" however is a stronger credit and does require compensation. "Created by Glen A. Larson" is a stronger credit then, "Based On Characters/Story By" which is not an official required screen credit.

If you want to see an example of this look at the credits for any Batman property in which Bob Kane is given a full "Created By Bob Kane" or "Batman Created By Bob Kane" credit.

#5. Larson's contracts contain stipulations that were written in back in the 80's that still hold up in court today. A seperation between motion picture rights and television rights that no longer exists in modern day contracts.

His rights are older but valid. In present day the studios seek to own all rights including both motion picture and television series rights as well as video game and merchandising under one banner. Not the case back in the 80's.

Times may change, but contractual obligations remain valid. This is why Larson can own motion picture rights (theatrical) and NBCU can own television rights which allows there to be two seperate Knight Rider properties from two different companies. One is television, one is feature film.

They think that by putting his name in the credits, he is "ok" with it which he clearly is not. He was not asked to contribute anything to this backdoor pilot and any (exec producer) credit he is given is an empty credit just so NBCU can believe they are covering their legal obligations.

Glen received three credits in the NBCU Knight Rider back door pilot.

Based on Characters Created By Glen A. Larson
Executive Producer - Glen A. Larson
Music by Stu Phillips and Glen A. Larson (people missed this one in the end credits)

Unlike TKR or Knight Rider 2000, Glen has not given his consent at this time to this project in any way, shape, or form despite what NBCU might be trying to imply. Whether you choose to believe me is up to you.

Hope that clears up some confusion.

=VK=
:dash:

MJknight
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: RE: Larson's Executive Producer Credit

Post by MJknight » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:55 pm

Also shows that Glen is smarter than people give him credit.
One Man Can Make A Difference - Wilton Knight

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:07 pm

[quote="MJknight"]Also shows that Glen is smarter than people give him credit.[/quote]

the fact that the KR 08 pilot (as it is now, seeing as its been confirmed as a series) aired with 'empty' credits to Mr Larson and no 'storm' (to quote Mr Kros) to stop it airing sorta gives the impression that he was beaten and NBCU paid nothing...(unless something happened behind the scenes which was not credited on screen or revealed here on the board...)

KOTP was a far superior pilot though!

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:51 pm

The "storm" is going on behind the scenes. I was asked to fly under the radar so I am no longer giving updates on its progress. People are right though, nothing came out in the trades like it should have been done but this whole process involves a lot of people and a lot of cautionary movements on the legal front that has hindered public response.

Everything I have said, has been true on the motion picture progress and Glen's credits. Unfortunately things can change from day to day and week to week which makes estimating releases nearly impossible at the moment.

Call it an excuse or whatever, I really don't care at this point. My focus for the time being is elsewhere on a project set for release this summer.

=VK=

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:05 pm

the impression you gave Mr Kros (giving all due respect to your age and demeanour) was that the pilot would be hindered from being broadcast, what happened that allowed it continue??

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:43 pm

pheonix_knight wrote:the impression you gave Mr Kros (giving all due respect to your age and demeanour) was that the pilot would be hindered from being broadcast, what happened that allowed it continue??
- To be perfectly honest the specific details are too complicated to really explain. NBCU has been in violation of a cease and decist order since they announced production on the backdoor pilot. They simply aired it anyway without Larson's consent and figured if he challenged their decision they would just throw money at him.

=VK=

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:44 am

Unlike TKR or Knight Rider 2000, Glen has not given his consent at this time to this project in any way, shape, or form despite what NBCU might be trying to imply. Whether you choose to believe me is up to you.
Perhaps I've left something out but since Glen hasn't given his consent to the new project doesn't that mean their actions are illegal?
Michael: Kitt what matters to me is who you are not what you look like. Sure we don't have the car so we can't turbo boost so we can't go over 200 miles an hour but it was all icing on the cake anyway

The Shadow
Volunteer

Post by The Shadow » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:25 pm

No, NBC isn't doing anything illegal. NBC owns the television rights for Knight Rider, so anytime they wish to make a Knight Rider T.V. series, mini-series, or T.V. movie they can.
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?