What happened to kitts window after it was shot out?

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Crumbling Down
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

What happened to kitts window after it was shot out?

Post by Crumbling Down » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:52 am

After watching the new Kr a few weeks ago we were introduced to kitts new MBS (nanotechnology) which absorbs and deflects bullets. You see kitt actually denting when a bullet hits but then repaires itself where the bullet struck. Maybe I missed this part but when kitt gets shot at when his computer is turned off you see one of the bullets hit the window shattering it. Now for the question, when kitts computer is turned back online do we ever see the window regenerate or does it remain broken for the rest of the movie? I sorta remember after mike crashes into the suv he gets out and there is no damage to kitt however I don't recall seeing if the window was intact or if it was still shattered.
Booonnnnnzzzzaaaaaiii!!!!!!!! As michael turbo boosts to score the extra point. His face is so funny when he yells this and when he hits turbo boost his eyes get huge and he flies back into the seat

Kaine
FLAG Recruit

Re: What happened to kitts window after it was shot out?

Post by Kaine » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:07 am

once the computer was reactivated the nanotechnologies repaired all the damage, including the windows.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:34 pm

I would say that the window could be fixed, but the broken glass would stay on the seats.

The concept behind the nano-technology is that there are millions/billions of tiny "smart" particles that can combine into different shapes. Unless the seat covers were made out of the same material (and we have no reason to believe they were), the broken nano-glass wouldn't be able to interact with the computer and those particles couldn't be used for self-repair.

You still have a conservation of mass issue, but a window is pretty small. The computer could borrow nano-particles from another part of the shell to restore the window. When KITT went back in for repairs, the broken nano-glass would have to be re-absorbed into the shell.

At least that's the way I'd handle it.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

darthknight72
Recruit

Post by darthknight72 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:13 pm

Its called hollywood magic my friends.You can try to over-anaylize it if you want.Who knows they might try and explain the nano-technology a little better when the show goes to series.

Kitzira
Operative

Post by Kitzira » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:27 pm

One of the fun things to watch durring that scene.. KI3T's sideview mirrors. Whenever he smacks into the side of the SUV while KI3T's cpu is off, the mirrors keep breaking. And I say 'keep' because after each hit, the camera changes, changes again and hellow intact mirrors!

I also wanna know how Sarah knew that her handprint scan would re-start KI3T. Before this incident, she didn't even know the car existed!
Read KR Fanfiction and Post your own at http://www.knightfic.com

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:38 pm

Kitzira wrote:One of the fun things to watch durring that scene.. KI3T's sideview mirrors. Whenever he smacks into the side of the SUV while KI3T's cpu is off, the mirrors keep breaking. And I say 'keep' because after each hit, the camera changes, changes again and hellow intact mirrors!
Yeah, I noticed that too. I laughed at it and just dismissed it as typical Hollywood errors. If you want to nitpick it you'll lose enjoyment for sure, I just chose not to. :)
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:07 pm

darthknight72 wrote:Its called hollywood magic my friends.You can try to over-anaylize it if you want.Who knows they might try and explain the nano-technology a little better when the show goes to series.
I LOVE over-analyzing! :) We spent 10 years discussing the physics of KITT driving on to a moving a ramp and I'll discuss it another 10 years if I have to! When people start talking about the "science" of Knight Rider... well it just gets me going. I'm a dork.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Crumbling Down
FLAG Recruit

Post by Crumbling Down » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:22 pm

To bad the broken shards of glass couldn't evaporate or something. I mean I am sure if this ever goes into production we will never see mike sit down on broken shards of glass. But it would be neat if the glass could evaporate or melt leaving no trace it was ever there.
Booonnnnnzzzzaaaaaiii!!!!!!!! As michael turbo boosts to score the extra point. His face is so funny when he yells this and when he hits turbo boost his eyes get huge and he flies back into the seat

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:16 pm

Crumbling Down wrote:To bad the broken shards of glass couldn't evaporate or something. I mean I am sure if this ever goes into production we will never see mike sit down on broken shards of glass. But it would be neat if the glass could evaporate or melt leaving no trace it was ever there.
I'd like to think that after the computer is reactivated, the broken shards of glass could re-materialize and the nano machines could again integrate themselves back into the Knight 3000's outer shell. Don't really know how that would work since the interior is evidently not part of the nanotechnology, but I hate the idea of K.I.T.T. "losing" part of himself every time he gets damaged without the computer on. This reminds me a lot of the T-1000 going back to collect that piece of himself in one scene by absorbing it back in Terminator 2.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant

Post by JJSoCrazy » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:28 am

Here is what I didn't understand, if the nano-technology is applicable when the system is shut off, why was KITT repairing himself when Mike was ramming into the side of the car.

Here's another defect, when KITT was shutdown was all his systems still intact such as MBS? Although I have to say in the episode where MK's true identity is found out by Cameron Zachary and the guy orders him to shut KITT down, his tires deflated. But when MK was pretending to work against the foundation and pretends to shoot Devon, KITT's system was shut and he went right through a concrete wall. What I don't understand why would his self-repair be deactivated? Silly stuff lol :)

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:50 am

JJSoCrazy wrote:Here is what I didn't understand, if the nano-technology is applicable when the system is shut off, why was KITT repairing himself when Mike was ramming into the side of the car.
That's simply just a continuity error that I suspect was there because the production had a limited amount of Mustangs and didn't want to show the Knight 3000 too heavily damaged, in my opinion.
JJSoCrazy wrote:Here's another defect, when KITT was shutdown was all his systems still intact such as MBS? Although I have to say in the episode where MK's true identity is found out by Cameron Zachary and the guy orders him to shut KITT down, his tires deflated. But when MK was pretending to work against the foundation and pretends to shoot Devon, KITT's system was shut and he went right through a concrete wall. What I don't understand why would his self-repair be deactivated? Silly stuff lol :)
The Molecular Bonded Shell was always intact 24/7, regardless of K.I.T.T.'s systems being shut down or not, except for two instances. One was in "Junk Yard Dog" where the acid at least began to wear away at the shell, but arguably didn't completely penetrate it as there were still remains of the Knight 2000 to pull out of the pit. The second instance was in "Knight Of the Juggernaut" where the chemical was sprayed all over K.I.T.T. to neutralize the MBS. Seeing as how K.I.T.T. was again bullet proof in the following episode, "Kittnap," the MBS had to have been reapplied in-between these episodes.

Unlike the Knight 3000 which relies on its computer to control the nanotechnology, classic K.I.T.T.'s A.I. never controlled the Knight 2000's MBS, which was a permanent finish bonded into the car itself. Classic K.I.T.T.'s tires are a different story, because while the tires were either a rubber-like substance or just enhanced rubber, they were not actually coated with the MBS, in my opinion. Add to that the fact that K.I.T.T. could inflate and deflate his tires at will.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

DorianX
Recruit

Post by DorianX » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:29 am

Actually, this is kind of an interesting question: if KITT's exterior is made of nanomachines, when the control system shut down, it's reasonable that KITT would lose his self-healing, but there are other possibilites:

For example, as soon as the AI shut down, the entire outer shell of the car might have simply *dissolved* as the nanomachines in the skin shut down. Now, we can reasonably assume that instead of reverting to an "off" state, they simply stay in whatever form they're in -- but if KITT's windows are actually nanomachines and not "really" glass, then there's no reason for it to shatter like glass, or for KITT's body to contort on collisions like it was really made of metal and not nanoparticles.

I think the most reasonable explanation is that KITT's windows really *are* glass, and the nanoskin is another layer over top of the glass, whose purpose is to make repairs. When we see KITT get shot, what we are seeing is the actual metal body being punctured, and then the nanoskin patching the metal. So the answer is that, yes, the glass is still broken, because that was *real* glass that got shot up.

I don't think that this explanation is nearly as cool as having the exterior really be the nanoskin itself, and not a "normal" mundane exterior with a thin nanoskin over top. But I also think it's the simplest explanation that fits all the things we've seen.

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:35 pm

remember the good ole' days ?

..............when nobody ever hear of Nano blah blah and KITT was just indestructible? :mrgreen: :kitt2: :dash: :kitt: :kittconv:

DorianX
Recruit

Post by DorianX » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:08 am

They were a lot like the good ole' days when Superman could literally do anything he wanted to.

Not all that easy to write a compelling story once you've established that it's only an incredibly exceptional set of circumstances (like Kryptonite) under which the hero is in any danger of death, injury, failure or even inconvenience.

Not easy to write a convincing story when every dime-store thug can get his hands on kryptonite.

Let's face it. They may have said that KITT was indestructable, but it turned out that EVERY TIME this came up, he turned out not to be. KITT got disabled as often as any other TV series hero-car, it just took a wild and unlikely contrived circumstance. And those happened about twice a season.