FRAUD?

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

KRisBack
Recruit

FRAUD?

Post by KRisBack » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:24 pm

Attached is a picture I took at the NYC autoshow last year. What heck? The hood is the same as KITT's!!!

For some dumb reason I was under the impression that this was a custom hood for Knight Rider. So all they did was paint this mustang black.(well not this one but they copied it). I don't remember seeing anything that said that this was going to be the new KITT.

THIS REALLY SUCKS!!

I always thought that the Camaro concept would be cool for KITT because it has the inlet for the scanner but I thought that it would cheasy if they left the car stock. I started to buy into the whole mustang thing thinking "well at least they made a custom hood for it".

Fraud I tell you. It's fraud. Or maybe I wasn't paying enough attention. either way this KITT is not special in any way!!! Not like the original KITT :kitt: with it's custom bumper.

I've learned to like the new car but this is really dissapointing. :( :cry: :? :|
Attachments
04-10-07_1840.jpg
04-10-07_1840.jpg (65.4 KiB) Viewed 13877 times

DeeKnight
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: FRAUD?

Post by DeeKnight » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:31 pm

I dont think it was stated anywhere that i was a custom hood,it does look cool with the scanner though.

krfan08
Volunteer

Post by krfan08 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:45 pm

I'm not surprised it is stock or that they made few modifications to the outside. 1) It's makes the show a more effective Ford commercial, since anyone can buy the car, and 2) it's cheaper than doing something custom.

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:46 pm

I don't remember any article stating the hood was custom. The hood has been custom-IZED to include the scanner of course, but pictures of this car circulated very early on with pics of the new KR vehicle. In articles with the makers of the car they state they had Ford manufacture parts for the car, which sound like stock pieces - so where's the fraud?
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

ckeller22
Operative

Post by ckeller22 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:50 pm

Fraud-what are you talking about.You must be mis informed. The producers have said that the Hero car is a stock Shelby KR500 Mustang. That is the hood is custom to the Shelby KR500. They made no claim whatsoever about it being a custom hood for Knight Rider and big deal they didn't make a custom Knight Rider hood for the original KITT,that was the hood that came on the Trans Am. What is custom is the dual scanners that were mounted in the hood.Please investigate before posting a bogus thread like this accusing NBC of fraud.

KRisBack
Recruit

Post by KRisBack » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:29 pm

KRisBack wrote:Fraud I tell you. It's fraud. Or maybe I wasn't paying enough attention. either way this KITT is not special in any way!!! Not like the original KITT :kitt: with it's custom bumper.

I've learned to like the new car but this is really dissapointing. :( :cry: :? :|
I think I made it clear that maybe I didn't catch that KITT was going to be a stock car.

So does this mean my 1991 GEO Prizm could be KITT too? Why not? It will blend in real well with all the other crappy cars on my block.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:51 pm

Actually, I believe since the Shelby GT500KR has not been officially released yet, the production crew had to dress up a Mustang GT, which meant that they had to use or make their own hood based off of Ford's hood for the Cobra. They would have simply used the stock hood from the get-go if the car had been out at the time, unless I am mistaken.

By the way, I also was at the NY Auto Show in Manhattan last year and snapped a few shots of this car, too. Honestly, I only even snapped the pictures for my uncle who was surprised that I wasn't that interested in the car as it didn't seem much different than a stock 'Stang to me (in terms of appearance, that is). Little did I know I was actually looking at the next K.I.T.T.! :shock:

Image Image
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:36 pm

That hood is what makes the 500KR a 500KR (at least in appearance). KITT 3000 is not the first GT500KR.

KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

KRisBack
Recruit

Post by KRisBack » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:47 pm

Army_F_Body wrote:That hood is what makes the 500KR a 500KR (at least in appearance). KITT 3000 is not the first GT500KR.
So that tells me that the double scanner is not even innovative thinking on the designer's part.

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:01 pm

KRisBack wrote:So that tells me that the double scanner is not even innovative thinking on the designer's part.
::Shrug:: Depends on your definition of "innovative". If by "Did a scanner exist previously and the new KR producers didn't originate the idea of a scanner" sure. However, if you mean "Sticking the scanner in the hood" is not innovative, I think you need to look up the definition of the word. It had not been done before, so if you want to argue originality and so on, it WAS innovative to put in the dual scanners in the hood - simply because no previous KR car had done so.

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:10 pm

No, and I agree the scanner placement did seem kinda lazy to me. When I first heard the Mustang would be used I thought we would at least get a custom front end. Attack mode is where the money is at for this car, but it seems they only modified in terms of what could be cheaply attached to the body.

Let's hope if we get a show that the season 2 premier will have this car totaled and rebuilt with a little more ommph!

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:29 pm

Army_F_Body wrote:No, and I agree the scanner placement did seem kinda lazy to me.
I've seen this comment elsewhere on this board and honestly, I can't agree. To me, lazy would have been sticking it in the front grille (roughly analogous to where it was on the 2000) mainly because it would have been just "doing something that was done before". In this case, the designers worked the scanner into a distinctive feature of the Mustang itself and they changed the scanner into its dual form, making it very distinctive from the single "swoosh" that KITT had.

KRisBack
Recruit

Post by KRisBack » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:37 pm

goldbug wrote: If by "Did a scanner exist previously and the new KR producers didn't originate the idea of a scanner" sure. However, if you mean "Sticking the scanner in the hood" is not innovative, I think you need to look up the definition of the word. It had not been done before, so if you want to argue originality and so on, it WAS innovative to put in the dual scanners in the hood-
I meant that the designer(s) didn't think about improving the look of the scanner. They just sat there and looked at the hood and said "ok..let's split it to make it fit" This wasn't an conscious attempt to improve the original. It's simply a product of the situation. Hardly what I would call innovative.
goldbug wrote: - simply because no previous KR car had done so.
What? KITT didn't have a scanner under the hood? :kitt:

KRisBack
Recruit

Post by KRisBack » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:42 pm

goldbug wrote:
Army_F_Body wrote:No, and I agree the scanner placement did seem kinda lazy to me.
I've seen this comment elsewhere on this board and honestly, I can't agree. To me, lazy would have been sticking it in the front grille (roughly analogous to where it was on the 2000) mainly because it would have been just "doing something that was done before". In this case, the designers worked the scanner into a distinctive feature of the Mustang itself and they changed the scanner into its dual form, making it very distinctive from the single "swoosh" that KITT had.
Would you still believe this if they had used the concept camaro and stuck the scanner in that inlet?

Seems lazy to me too.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:27 pm

KRisBack wrote:I meant that the designer(s) didn't think about improving the look of the scanner. They just sat there and looked at the hood and said "ok..let's split it to make it fit" This wasn't an conscious attempt to improve the original. It's simply a product of the situation. Hardly what I would call innovative.
I disagree. You may not call it improved, but it certainly is different. And on the contrary, according to Shapeshifter, the designers originally tried to use the original scanner style but were told to come up with something better, which is what we have now. If they simply used the old scanner, your statement would hold water.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

KRisBack
Recruit

Post by KRisBack » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:10 pm

Lost Knight wrote:I disagree. You may not call it improved, but it certainly is different. And on the contrary, according to Shapeshifter, the designers originally tried to use the original scanner style but were told to come up with something better, which is what we have now. If they simply used the old scanner, your statement would hold water.
My point is that the split belongs to shelby and not the KITT designers, which in my book is bad.

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:54 pm

KRisBack wrote:
goldbug wrote:What? KITT didn't have a scanner under the hood? :kitt:
Nope. Not the visual part at least. His was built into a nose extension at the front of the car - roughly where a "grille" would be on the Mustang.
Last edited by goldbug on Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:57 pm

KRisBack wrote:Would you still believe this if they had used the concept camaro and stuck the scanner in that inlet?
Seems lazy to me too.
Not really, because position-wise that is almost exactly the analogous spot on the Camaro front end as the "nose extension" on the Trans Am front end.

Let me clarify: the designers used a distinct design feature on the top of the Mustang's hood that would be there regardless and turned it into something that is an integral visual cue from the Knight Rider history. I found that innovative in its own way. I think you've made the point that you didn't like it, so we'll just have to agree to disagree on the virtues of the dual scanner.

knightofthephoenix
Operative

Post by knightofthephoenix » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:53 pm

Sorry, but i think this just points to more lameness on the whole Mustang, corporate Ford approach to this new Knight Rider.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still a fan and I'll watch watch whatever series comes out of this. But that doesn't mean I have to be thrilled with everything.

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:18 am

The new car to me just seems mildly customized to almost a "tuner" level because no real modifications were made to distinguish this from the stock form of the vehicle (hey, I'm not complaining, makes it easier to make a replica). It just seems they stuck the scanner in the most convenient spot, tacked on some other goodies and a second spoiler and called it a KITT. I'm not bagging on it, it just seems more care went into a show that's 26 years old. It's obviously more about the features and functions than the aesthetics, but I think they could have really put more effort into it. I have a feeling KITT will get more visually unique if a regular series materializes. This was a quick, fast and loose production, so I can imagine a lot had to be sacrificed (like the overly spartan interior) to make it to the screen on time.

KRisBack
Recruit

Post by KRisBack » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:02 am

goldbug wrote:Let me clarify: the designers used a distinct design feature on the top of the Mustang's hood that would be there regardless and turned it into something that is an integral visual cue from the Knight Rider history. I found that innovative in its own way. I think you've made the point that you didn't like it, so we'll just have to agree to disagree on the virtues of the dual scanner.
Yes. We'll agree to disagree. :D
knightofthephoenix wrote:Don't get me wrong, I'm still a fan and I'll watch watch whatever series comes out of this.
Me too. Having this KITT is better than having none at all or a red Banshee for that matter.
Army_F_Body wrote:(hey, I'm not complaining, makes it easier to make a replica).
I wish this could make me feel better but my wife would never let me get a mustang just because it looks like KITT. Besides I live in NYC and unless I get real nano technology on the car it would probably be bangged up by the first week. :?