New KITT Major Disappointments

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

cnjersey22
Stranger

New KITT Major Disappointments

Post by cnjersey22 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:44 pm

Overall look of the car is okay, lacks the sleekness of the original but I can live with it. Most irritating is the new KITT is backwards in technology!

Major Gripes:

- No Turbo Boost - this is signature KNIGHT RIDER. I want to see the car jump. I heard in an interview it made it look unrealistic, but then getting hit at 100MPH without a scratch is realistic? WTF? And this isn't like the other corny 80s KITT gizmos like microwave jam or oil slick....

- Seat Belts - KInd of distracting. KI2T had invisible seat belts, why not this one? Lame watching someone buckle up before a big car chase, almost like 1960s batman scene.

- Comlink- Why is this a regular bluetooth headset? It should be A LOT more discreet, like an invisible earpiece. Motorola TODAY makes these for the consumer market. It should be more advanced in Knight Rider! It was in the original series with the watch.

- Speed. Why is this KITT so much slower than KI2K? Would it have hurt the story if they at least matched the speed of the original KITT? What a disappointment. The car looked big and sluggish in the car chase scenes.

- Bulletproof KITT- It made me cringe when I saw the bullet hit KITT and it shattered the window. It made the car look soooo weak. This isn't KITT.

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Re: New KITT Major Disappointments

Post by Kram061-1 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:55 pm

yeah

Knight6000
Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Knight6000 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:49 pm

I agree with everything you said.

But if you pay close attention when the window shatters,she tells Mike that if KITT's computer is so is his nanotech.Hence no bulletproof armor.They need the MBS back cause the nanotech crap is already getting old for me.

Mike K
Rookie

Post by Mike K » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:46 am

Knight6000 wrote:
They need the MBS back cause the nanotech crap is already getting old for me.
Do I hear a call for KITT 2000 :kitt: :D

Would be good to have the 2 Kitt’s in the series, obviously KITT 3000 will be the main show contender but still be cool to see the old kitt along side the new version in a few Episodes

I still think the new dash is a major problem, it needs the WOW factor, (I under stand they were running out of time etc), but this is one thing they can now address along with other options like Turbo Boost etc….

Still I think the 2008 Knight Rider can be & will be a hit!!

cnjersey22
Stranger

Post by cnjersey22 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:29 am

If they brought back the Knight 2000 it would upstage the new KITT in every scene. Kind of like having Bill & Hillary next to each other in a campaign rally.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:59 pm

[Cough]DASHBOARD![cough cough]
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

jaws
Volunteer

Post by jaws » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:05 pm

I don't think the 25 year old tech from the Knight 2000 would upstage the Knight 3000. We only got to see a little the tech from the 3000 in the movie; if it goes to series we'll see more of what the 3000 can do. I enjoyed the original KR when I was a kid but the 3000 will be more impressive.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:17 pm

Even still, only having the single touchscreen itself just doesn't cut it. A few physical buttons would be nice. A different dashboard mold altogether would have been, too. Things should be a bit more 3-dimensional. And how about overhead and center consoles? Have things pop out and flip around, holograms...anything! There is so much room for improvement because almost nothing was really changed. Fortunately the producers at least had the good sense to change the gauges to digital, though unfortunately we saw more of them in the Ford commercials than we did in the actual movie.

SuperchargedGS
Volunteer

Post by SuperchargedGS » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:59 pm

Dido on the MBS the nanotech is great but if the computer gets shut down its worthless. now if they can make it on all the time even if the computer is shut down then you have something.

BlueChaos
FLAG Recruit

Post by BlueChaos » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:45 am

I think for all intents and purposes, KI3T should drop the CGI effect during the transformation from Normal Mode to Attack Mode and turn to a more mechanical transformation. Changing the license plate with CGI just seems.... weird. It would be better for the plates to roll mechanically like in the KI2T.
"If Darth Vader had a KITT bathroom, then he would have ruled the galaxy far far away since a long long time ago..." *LASER!* :good:

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:09 am

I think the 3 things they need to work on for the series are:

1. Change the transformation to look more mechanical and realistic.

2. Install a backup or separate system to operate the nano-whats-its even when the main system is off.

3. Give the interior the "wow" factor (as someone else said). Kitt's a super car.. he needs a super dash to fit it.

But these are all minor details that can be worked on and will just make the show more "Knight rider". I hope they go to series with it.
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:27 am

How would you want it to look more mechanical? Like what was done with Viper? Like Super Pursuit Mode perhaps? There's billions of microscopic machines working and it transitioning to the new look in a way that IMO looks good and how be done could it look better, sure. Though the only real issue IMO was how the stupid looking spoiler shows up and just goes away. The only thing is what's from stopping KITT from using the nanotech from growing a limb and pumping his own gas or whacking someone upside the head? I know it's just a "skin" but still if a stupid looking spoiler can be built.....
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

cca061
Stranger

Post by cca061 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:52 am

Did anyone notice the Macintosh wireless keyboard in the glove compartment?
It is bluetooth, so it works with PS3, but does it work with PC?
Could this mean that KITT is a Mac? Or a PS3?
And why did they put a wireless keyboard in the glove compartment? Is the glove compartment detachable? For what reason? Maybe it can fly and spy like the cassettes on that Transformers guy? Otherwise wireless is stupid. I hope who ever uses it brings spare batteries for it...

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:56 pm

The seat belts were in the original series Pilot and they did away with them eventually. I'm sure something to that effect could be replicated here.

And as for KITT seemingly slower than the K2000, we only saw the speedometer when KITT was driving in a built up area ie cars and pedestrians so he couldn't go that fast.

Did we even see the speedometer when the car was in "attack" mode? I'm sure it went much faster than 102.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Garthe Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Garthe Knight » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:40 pm

I am not that disappointed because of the missing functions. KITT will show more in the series, they already said that.
The Knight2000 also had seat belts in the pilot. And on its monitor the Knight3000 showed that most of the car's features were not implemented or tested yet, so it was not ready. Maybe that's why it didn't show that much and why it was not faster.

I was more disappointed with KITT's optics. But I stated this on another thread, KITT should have one mode, be all black and get more buttons and monitors on his dash. And keep the voice modulator visible and don't change its color. He should look like this:

I'll create a dashboard like I see it when I'll have the time.

KRisBack
Recruit

Post by KRisBack » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:52 pm

Garthe Knight your avatar is sick. I was planning on making a hotwheels version just like that!!
Awesome!!!

krfan08
Volunteer

Post by krfan08 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:55 pm

Nice photos...definitely like that better than the stripes. What would it look like with the headlights blacked out also?

I don't think Ford would go for this though, since I doubt they would let the production team remove the logos from the car.

Drake
Operative

Post by Drake » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:19 pm

Did you not just see the big deal made of Billy Ray Cyrus and Miley Cyrus where for some scene in their movie they weren't buckled up? The seatbelts will stay or else they'll have every hippy, liberal, why won't someone think of the children group all over them faster than you can turbo boost through a pane of glass.

I do think the car should be all black without stripes or logos. The wheels could be chrome or black that wouldn't bother me.
The Kenner Knight 2000 Voice Car. One toy can make a difference.........

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:49 pm

Oddly enough, I think the matte black/dark gray stripes look really good on the normal mode of the car. But the chrome rims should definitely be black 24/7, I think. I'm not a big fan of those rims to begin with, but they definitely look better black.

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:42 pm

PHOENIXZERO wrote:How would you want it to look more mechanical? Like what was done with Viper? Like Super Pursuit Mode perhaps? There's billions of microscopic machines working and it transitioning to the new look in a way that IMO looks good and how be done could it look better, sure. Though the only real issue IMO was how the stupid looking spoiler shows up and just goes away. The only thing is what's from stopping KITT from using the nanotech from growing a limb and pumping his own gas or whacking someone upside the head? I know it's just a "skin" but still if a stupid looking spoiler can be built.....
Well I was thinking about that spoiler when I said that.

It can't just fade in and out like it appeared to in the show. We need to see the struts extend up off the bottom spoiler and then the wing extend out from either side of the struts.. or something.

I always liked Viper's first season transformations. Wasn't so keen on the cheaper CGI they went with after that.
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:03 pm

I dont think he will complete until they include.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVN3CVB7 ... re=related

viper_defender
Recruit

Post by viper_defender » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:14 am

I did find the stuff in the three thousand a bit short...

But hey if there is any indications all through out the original Knight Rider all kinds of stuff gets refitted. The so called Gadget of the day... WHICH I LOVED...

I do hope they add turboboost some time...

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:24 pm

No Turbo Boost - this is signature KNIGHT RIDER. I want to see the car jump. I heard in an interview it made it look unrealistic, but then getting hit at 100MPH without a scratch is realistic? WTF? And this isn't like the other corny 80s KITT gizmos like microwave jam or oil slick....

I agree:

A car jump, which can easily be done by a stuntman, FOR REAL is unrealistic, BUT a car morphing into another car, which can only be done by CGI IS realistic? :roll:

At the very least get that Mustang up on 2-Wheels.....there is some dude on youtube, in like Saudi Arabia, he can balance a full sized flatbed truck on 2 wheels......

DorianX
Recruit

Post by DorianX » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:33 pm

Rockatteer wrote: It can't just fade in and out like it appeared to in the show. We need to see the struts extend up off the bottom spoiler and then the wing extend out from either side of the struts.. or something.
I don't think it was meant to look like it was fading in and out, more like it was "growing" almost like it was organic. But special effects are expensive, so the process was fast and the cuts tried to make it not take too long, so it might not have come across properly.
Rockatteer wrote: I always liked Viper's first season transformations. Wasn't so keen on the cheaper CGI they went with after that.
Seconded, though I think that the "organic" transformation is a different but equally good way to go.

I do have one misgiving about the touch-screen, though: the reason you don't see as much with touch screens for vehicle controls on real cars is because you have to be *looking* at them to use them. Electro-mechanical controls have a tactile response: you can find them with your eyes closed. Mike would be hard-pressed to touch something on the screen in a hurry, especially since the screen can reconfigure itself. Think how much harder it would be to drive your car if you couldn't find all the controls by a combination of touch and muscle memory, and you actually had to look at the radio to change stations, look at the heater controls to turn it on, or, worse, look at the dashboard to find the headlight button or turn signals.

It may be that the idea is for KITT to do so much of the work himself that Mike wouldn't be using the supplemental controls except when doing things like research. But if we start seeing stock footage of Mike's hand reaching down to touch something on the screen, I'm going to call shennanigans.

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:57 pm

if you pay close attention when the window shatters,she tells Mike that if KITT's computer is so is his nanotech.Hence no bulletproof armor.They need the MBS back cause the nanotech crap is already getting old for me.
yeah.....nano tech nano schmeck, they gotta get a little more oldschool