New KR Movie Mistake??

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

seven58o
Volunteer
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

New KR Movie Mistake??

Post by seven58o » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:36 pm

DUDE.

so i JUST thought of this which is odd because i'm just sitting here doing nothing. but in the new movie (series premier) when they go into the garage and show the old KITT including bits and pieces of others, they show the TransAm engine. sitting out of the car, just a close up of it:

anyone else notice that this engine wasnt introduced until 89? i only know this because i've had an 89, 90, and 91 and KITT's "engine" (though if it were the ACTUAL knight engine it would have been a turbine anyway....) from 82-88 they should have shown this engine:

just a thought :)

GarthKnight08
FLAG Recruit

Re: New KR Movie Mistake??

Post by GarthKnight08 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:46 pm

Dude your a bit late on that one, that was a major topic when the trailer hit showing the TPI.
Founder of OKA (Original KITT Anonymous)
If you need to get out feelings of loss for the Original KITT then we can help!

DrWho2005
Operative

Post by DrWho2005 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:58 pm

seven58o wrote:DUDE.

so i JUST thought of this which is odd because i'm just sitting here doing nothing. but in the new movie (series premier) when they go into the garage and show the old KITT including bits and pieces of others, they show the TransAm engine. sitting out of the car, just a close up of it:

anyone else notice that this engine wasnt introduced until 89? i only know this because i've had an 89, 90, and 91 and KITT's "engine" (though if it were the ACTUAL knight engine it would have been a turbine anyway....) from 82-88 they should have shown this engine:

just a thought :)

I think most people agree by now that it wasn't realKITT in that garage.

seven58o
Volunteer

Post by seven58o » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:15 pm

yeah, i meant to mention that there was probably already a post about it but i was rushed an didnt have time to look :)

k300au
Stranger

Post by k300au » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:59 pm

Hey

Did you notice that the stuffed up the ending of the movie,
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
When K.I.T.T backs out of the plane
He does a 180 drive forward but when the next shoot cuts in he is doing a 180 in reverse.

Watch the movie again and see if you notice it..

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WZ6vMHg2AMs

Kr3000au

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:39 am

regarding the 89' engine....

we could excuse that as KITT wasnt dismantled at the end of the TV series so its ok to assume he was still in use in 89....

however...

KITT didnt have a standard engine anyway, it was turbine based so its very strange that ANY trans am engine should be shown...

knightdriver
FLAG Assistant

Post by knightdriver » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:43 am

That TPI engine was still in the car. The dismantled car was parked right next to the
completed Knight 2000. Maybe this was a parts car used by gramien to rebuild the
2000 seeing as the 3000 was finished?
Brian - Knightdriver.com

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:19 pm

knightdriver wrote:That TPI engine was still in the car. The dismantled car was parked right next to the
completed Knight 2000. Maybe this was a parts car used by gramien to rebuild the
2000 seeing as the 3000 was finished?
Those are my thoughts as well. Graiman was cannibalizing other Trans Ams in an attempt to rebuild the Knight 2000 since most of its parts were sold off by Russ Maddock.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:47 pm

Lost Knight wrote:Those are my thoughts as well. Graiman was cannibalizing other Trans Ams in an attempt to rebuild the Knight 2000 since most of its parts were sold off by Russ Maddock.
No, that wouldn't be it since this series ignores KR 2000, TKR and KR 2010 altogether. It directly continues from the original series. Still, I agree with your idea that cannibalizing parts was going on. There were three distinct chassis in that garage, who knows what type of tinkering was going on?
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

DeeKnight
Operative

Post by DeeKnight » Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:06 pm

Well if graiman was trying to rebuild the Knight 2000 it would make sense to go for the most modern trans am engine he could find. Then maybe he thought it would be easier just to build a complete new one i.e. the Knight 3000?

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:19 pm

goldbug wrote:No, that wouldn't be it since this series ignores KR 2000, TKR and KR 2010 altogether. It directly continues from the original series.
I am not convinced that Knight Rider 2000 is not canon in this universe, which I've stated numerous times on the board. Just because it wasn't directly referenced and the Knight 4000 wasn't shown does not mean it doesn't exist in this universe. The majority of fans seem to keep ignoring this possibility just because the telepic doesn't acknowledge anything. The interviews with Dave Bartis still do not give a definitive answer to this. The interviews are ambiguous at best. We don't know it's not true and I don't believe my thoughts are incorrect until there are direct references to a different history if the telepic leads to series. I'm getting exhausted of reiterating this point because it keeps getting overlooked and dismissed, but here is a quote from what I said in another post that goes into more detail:
Lost Knight wrote:I've been trying to convey my thoughts that Knight Rider 2000 should be counted as part of the continuity for a long time. For the most part the idea seems to be overlooked because the majority of fans either hated the movie, or didn't like the way Devon was killed. Not good enough reasons to not count the film as part of the continuity. Death is not pleasant for any character no matter how it occurred. Some say Devon deserved a better fate, well of course he did! But he didn't get it, and that created a great tragedy. It caused Michael to doubt Wilton's dying words, "One man can make a difference," and basically his entire purpose in the series. I'm not a particular fan of KR2K just like many of you, but there are a few good bits and pieces of story continuity and logical extrapolations scattered throughout. Actually, there was indeed better continuity with that film than the current telepic (not that I am saying the new telepic was bad), in my opinion. That's because KR2K's focus was on Michael, K.I.T.T. and Devon, whereas the new telepic's focus is on the new characters. So to be bashing it because it didn't provide adequate continuity isn't fair, because it's not meant to go down that route too much. That's stuff that should be left for a series later down the line.

Knight 4000 existing before the Knight 3000? Maybe that's a good enough reason to avoid putting the Knight 4000 in the movie (or, perhaps it could have been the car under the tarp, although it did appear to be the shape of another Trans Am), but it's not a good enough reason in & of itself to completely overwrite KR2K's existence. A throwaway line referencing that the car had to be dismantled due to the Knight Foundation losing funding is all that's required. But what about the numerical order of the cars, you ask? Simple. Knight Industries' circuitry series used only even numbers. When Knight Industries was shut down, Charles Graiman began his own freelance project to attempt to resurrect the original K.I.T.T. and over the course of the 8 years since KR2K, he developed the Knight 3000. In essence, the car was named the Knight 3000 because of Graiman's choice, not Devon or the other engineers at Knight Industries.

Despite the interviews and the fact that the film made no references to KR2K at all, I'm STILL not convinced that it's not counted as part of the continuity in this universe. Simply not referring to it doesn't mean it never existed. We simply do not know that as fact. The only way I'm going to be convinced that KR2K is not counted in this universe once and for all is if there's exposition in the possible series directly stating history that conflicts with KR2K.

Lost Knight wrote:Knight Rider 2000 took place in the year 2000 in Seattle, Washington. In the very first scene, it's explained by the police commissioner that it is one of the first cities to utilize the experimental method of buzzing bad guys with ultrasound instead of shooting them with bullets. The cryogenic incarceration was also relatively new and experimental, too, which was justified by saving $1.75 (I think that's what the number was?) billion a year. So Seattle was pretty much the only place in the country that was implementing these science fiction methods.

The new telepic and possible series will be taking place in California. Even if the ultrasonic guns and cryogenic prisons were still being used, all of that science fiction stuff would still be back in Seattle. But I'm more inclined to believe that at least the cryogenic prison idea was ultimately rendered flawed, when Russ Maddock's comment at the end, "Putting him in there solves nothing; it merely postpones," became realized by those who implemented the system in the first place. I'd like to believe the ultrasonic gun idea failed as well and that they reverted back to regular guns; its demise possibly inacted by a new mayor/president with a different agenda and political outlook. After all, Mayor Abby was discovered to be corrupt, and somebody had to fill in his shoes once he was incarcerated. After the demise of the Knight Foundation, Shawn McCormick and Russ Maddock lost their positions and subsequently moved onto other projects in other agencies. That would mean Shawn still has K.I.T.T.'s chip in her brain, though, unfortunately, and rather than seeing her ever return, it would be nice to know she had it removed.

And there's your continuity. Of course I'm sure the writers would never go into that much detail to bridge the gap if KR2K is going to be considered canon, but there's an explanation if they need to refer to one.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4: