Miss the watch?

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

KRisBack
Recruit

Miss the watch?

Post by KRisBack » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:45 am

Did anyone miss Michael's watch? I always wanted one of these. I think it would be cool even by today's standard (we don't have wrist cell phones).

neps
Site Administrator
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Miss the watch?

Post by neps » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:11 am

I kind of did. The ear piece is cool - but here is my hesitation:

When Mike gets captured (and you know it will happen), they'll most likely take his ear piece. Something like a watch, is less obvious as a mode of communication, and might make it through capture with him.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:29 am

That's what I've been saying.... He does need a back-up, a watch/wrist communicator would fill that role almost perfectly.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

TheMechanic
Rookie

Post by TheMechanic » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:36 am

Good point. I think they went with the ear piece because it is more 'high-tech' looking, but a backup would not be a bad idea.
Turbo Boost, Baby!

KnightLady
Operative

Post by KnightLady » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:33 am

I agree. The watch was also a homing device, too. That way if something happen to Michael, Kitt could find him.

Niggle Snoosh
Operative

Post by Niggle Snoosh » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:47 am

I see the headset as a temporary device given to those that need it, so not nessesarily the driver but the client.
As cool as the watch is and was Micheal Knight did always talk into it without trying to hide that fact, which in todays world of gadgetry will be pretty suspicious but he could be left with it if no ones sees that behaviour.

I think perhaps Mike could have a permanent device installed in his ear to hear and speak to KI3T(although as i have written this that does bring up a question of how he could turn it off if need be (ie. for private time or if he has to go against KI3T's or the foundations wishes for some reason)

Maybe he should have more than one device on him at any one time, so that if he gets captured it increases the likelyhood that not all will be taken and he can still talk to KI3T. KI3T wouldn't monitor the all at once if Mike had them all on his person, he would instead have an order to check them in case of capture. ie. headset, pen, pin badge, watch. Plus it could also mean that he could give or plant one of the devices to or on another person if need be. Also all devices would have a signal that KI3T could track
Michael: "Devon, someone tried to kill me last night!"
Devon: "I have an alibi"

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:31 am

We got a whole series to get through so I'm sure the ear piece will be going in place of something else.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Crumbling Down
FLAG Recruit

Post by Crumbling Down » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:13 am

Definity miss the watch and the seens of him talking into it
Booonnnnnzzzzaaaaaiii!!!!!!!! As michael turbo boosts to score the extra point. His face is so funny when he yells this and when he hits turbo boost his eyes get huge and he flies back into the seat

Knight2000
FLAG Recruit

Post by Knight2000 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:56 pm

The baddies were talking into their jackets and it reminded me of the original comlink. Think it was better than that earpiece.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:23 pm

In the original KR pilot, Michael Knight had to phone Devon as he didn't have the commlink until after the pilot episode. So who knows maybe they might make some changes...

HungarianKnight
FLAG Recruit

Post by HungarianKnight » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:04 pm

I think the watch is better than the earpiece. If the bad guys capture Mike, they would definitely take the earpiece ways. But who would suspect a harmless wristwatch?

MSFproductionsMAIN
Volunteer

Post by MSFproductionsMAIN » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:42 pm

Ha, At first I thought you were eluding to BayWatch. Haselhoff's Other Popular show. I was thinking. What could they do to that show to bring it up to date. Ha. Yeah But I agree. I miss the digital watch/ Communicator/Pac-man game. Well at least it was about the same size as those Pac-Man watches were in the 1980's. My friend had one & it always reminded me of the Watch in Night Rider (except it played Pac-Man)

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:27 pm

I can see a watch in this series being so much more than just a voice-com. It could be a remote screen for Kitt to send information to Mike on.
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:02 am

I have to agree that the Bluetooth earpiece is basically for passengers and is more of a temporary device. Now that Mike will officially start going on missions, I'm hopefull that the comlink will return, or perhaps a similarly clever gadget like it, but it's hard to imagine anything else. If anything, we got a hint of some possibilities from the open glove box which included some type of pen that could have possibly been a recorder. Personally, I'd love to see the comlink come back just as Michael had.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

BlueChaos
FLAG Recruit

Post by BlueChaos » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:56 pm

I have an idea here...

Since KITT's new voice modulator was based on the iPhone, why not use a (Knight Industries modified) iPhone for the communication device too? By using an iPhone, there can be the cool effect of seeing KITT's voice modulator on the iPhone (as opposed to the old watch or the bluetooth device where we can only hear KITT's voice). Also, by using an iPhone KITT can relay visual aids such as maps, pictures and so on to Mike on the fly, and that might be really helpful during his missions. Imagine KITT relaying a heat-vision scan map to Mike so he can know where his enemies are, that would be certainly a lot easier for Mike than having to hear KITT describe where are all the bad guys.

What do you think?
"If Darth Vader had a KITT bathroom, then he would have ruled the galaxy far far away since a long long time ago..." *LASER!* :good:

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:01 pm

Well I think it's a stretch to say the voice modulator was based on the iPhone. The video screen as a whole may have been inspired by the clean lines of the iPhone, but there's nothing really iPhoney about the actual voice modulator.

I absolutely agree it would be helpful for Mike to have some sort of portable screen with him; it helps Jack on 24. I'd just be worried that even though the iPhone is the coolest phone out there, the Product Placement Police would start complaining that the new show was one big Apple commercial!
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Victor Kros » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:05 pm

I think you're looking too inside the box. Make something that WE STILL don't have, like the iPhone capabilities in the form of the communicator watch. Then you have the best of both worlds.

Oops I've said too much...

=VK=
:dash:

DorianX
Recruit

Post by DorianX » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:39 pm

Given how KITT can remote-operate almost anything, a cool alternative might be for KITT to be able to "on-com" (Term and notion borrowed from the Doctor Who episode "The Empty Child"): use his remote access abilities to simply project his voice through anything with a speaker grill that happens to be close to Mike.

viper_defender
Recruit

Post by viper_defender » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:13 am

Not really... But it sort of had its place as aforementioned with Da Hoff' always getting thrown into the "hoose cow" or in a locked garage he always had his handy watch... But in this day and age an old style digital watch is sort of passe, if they where going to make it maybe something looking like a modern run of the mill Timex divers watch, the current blue tooth headset is quite bulky and can get confiscated by the bad guys, the cellphone concept is a pretty good idea, but it has to go the next step like a PDA phone perfect for scanning for prints and other investigative tools. The perfect thing for a mobile Ki3t. Just take a look at James Bonds cellphone from tomorrow never dies... It came with a fingerprint scanner, antenna lockpick, even a flip open system to drive the car (Mike doesnt need this obviously!) but one other important gadget he would need a built in stun gun perfect for getting him out of trouble a good idea for security was it to be controled by ki3t to help him get out of a jam.
Knight Rider 1984
Viper 1994
Knight Rider 2008
Men and Machines that make a Difference!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRzKrzXod6Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; See how the Morph!