Knight Rider 2000 or NBC Knight Rider Movie

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

wheresmurphy
Volunteer

Knight Rider 2000 or NBC Knight Rider Movie

Post by wheresmurphy » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:23 pm

Hello Knight Fans,
I have a question and I apologize if this has already been asked, but I like reading everyone's opinion.
Do you like the New NBC version of Knight Rider or Knight Rider 2000? I personally have always liked Knight Rider 2000, and the new NBC version was eh, they need to fix and fine tune somethings.. the one thing that has always bugged me was, the way KITT was treated in both remakes. I realize KITT was just a car, but he always seemed like he should be included in FLAG christmas cards or something along those lines and not sold for scrap metal when the Foundation went under I mean why not retire him and give him to Micheal? I always thought Knight Rider 2000 would have been such a great movie if in the first scene where Devon goes to talk to Micheal we saw a Black Trans Am instead of a 57 Chevy... then later in the movie let KITT be destroyed or something happen to him that a transfer over to the KIFT makes sense.. I don't know. I'm rambling. Opinions anyone?

Jeremy1973
Volunteer
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Knight Rider 2000 or NBC Knight Rider Movie

Post by Jeremy1973 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:42 pm

wheresmurphy wrote:Hello Knight Fans,
I have a question and I apologize if this has already been asked, but I like reading everyone's opinion.
Do you like the New NBC version of Knight Rider or Knight Rider 2000? I personally have always liked Knight Rider 2000, and the new NBC version was eh, they need to fix and fine tune somethings.. the one thing that has always bugged me was, the way KITT was treated in both remakes. I realize KITT was just a car, but he always seemed like he should be included in FLAG christmas cards or something along those lines and not sold for scrap metal when the Foundation went under I mean why not retire him and give him to Micheal? I always thought Knight Rider 2000 would have been such a great movie if in the first scene where Devon goes to talk to Micheal we saw a Black Trans Am instead of a 57 Chevy... then later in the movie let KITT be destroyed or something happen to him that a transfer over to the KIFT makes sense.. I don't know. I'm rambling. Opinions anyone?
When I saw KR2000 I was quite irritated that I didn't get to see KITT in his Trans AM body , a disassembled KITT was and always will be an eyesore for me, I liked the bodystyle of the KIFT car but I couldn't stand the fact that it was red instead of black, Now the knew KR show gets the color of the new KI3T right but makes it another eyesore in the form of a Mustang, and also features the KI2K dissasembled, I liked the plot of the Knew KR wich is most like the original, I'm just still butthurt over the Mustang deal, well at least the new KIIT's black instead of that godawful red. :kitt:

MSFproductionsMAIN
Volunteer

Post by MSFproductionsMAIN » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:58 pm

I like the New 2008 continuation better, then the KR2000 crap. I'm sorry but they didn't predict the future very well. They should have kept the series in the same year it was. Not set it 1 years ahead & try to predict crap that never happened. Such as those guns & the prison where they freeze criminals. Oh give me a break. At leat the new one was more realistic. Well except the bad morphing CGI that they did. That could have been done better.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:03 am

Not even close for me. I thought the new Knight Rider movie was far superior than Knight Rider 2000.

Yes, we had William Daniels in KR2000, but was it REALLY the same old KITT that we knew and loved? Not really. I watched Knight Rider 2000 with a sense of "bait and switch", like they really hyped up this new car with lots of action-adventure with Michael and KITT, and it wound up being more of Shawn's story. With a '57 Chevy for most of it. (I will say however that I really enjoyed seeing Devon have an extended role in the movie, and I am thankful that we were able to say goodbye to Edward Mulhare.)

With the new show, I felt we knew exactly what we were getting and it delivered. It didn't pretend to be anything but what it was. Even though they are all new characters, in many ways it evoked more of the "feel" of the original series than KR2000.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

knightofthephoenix
Operative

Post by knightofthephoenix » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:05 am

The new movie hands down. I may still have my reservations on the Mustang and there are a few things I didn't like, but it exceeded my expectations and seems to have some of the elements of the original show. Overall, I enjoyed it.

Knight Rider 2000 was just horrible. It was really an insult to the the original series and it's fans. Not even sure where to start.

Valdez
Rookie

Post by Valdez » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:31 am

Knight Rider 2000 is to Knight Rider....what the Enterprise "finale" was to Enterprise fans....an insult to the fans and to the cast of the show...no comparison, new movie, to spite it's flaws, is by far superior...as others have said. That's not a stab at William Daniels, Edward Mulhare, or Hasselhoff, they are the the only things KR2000 has over the new movie.
~The Monster's Loose....:karr:

Kaine
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kaine » Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:03 am

new Knight Rider (2008) hands down!

Knight Rider 2000 was just so wrong in so many ways!

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:46 am

I would have watched a KR2000 series just as much as this. I think this new one will have more of the spirit of the original in it, but KR2000 was Shawn's story, she would have been the star if we got a series. For it's time I think KR2000 was pretty cool.
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

Knight6000
Recruit

Post by Knight6000 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:06 am

New Knight Rider.

I won't even comment on KR2000 as everyone above has said it so perfect.

Dalton
Recruit

Post by Dalton » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:58 pm

Knight Rider 2000 doesn't exist in my mind. The New 2008 pilot, while not perfect was a million times better.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:02 pm

I'm pretty much disregarding anyone's opinion if they actually think KR2000 was superior to the new TV movie.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

libolt
Volunteer

Post by libolt » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:51 pm

For me I definitely have to say the new movie is much better than KR2000. I was about 9-10 when KR2000 aired and I liked it because it had Michael, KITT and Devon of course. But the KITT in the '57 Chevy never worked for me. I wasn't too put off by the Knight 4000 shell except the color. But what ruined it for me was at the end when Michael walked away and KITT was left with Shawn. I was also shocked when Devon died. It was hard for me to comprehend the reason at the time, though it makes more sense now.

I will say that the one thing I definitely still like is Jan Hammer's KR2000 theme. While it's not as good as the original, (or the new movie's mix that I quite like), it just sounds cool to me, especially the opening sequence.

I feel that the new movie itself is a lot truer to the original concept of Knight Rider. Yes it has some flaws, but I believe that if it indeed does go to series the writers will smooth things out, hopefully.

Niggle Snoosh
Operative

Post by Niggle Snoosh » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:13 pm

Not that it going to be a great suprise to anyone but i felt i would like it on record that i definetly prefer NBC's KR2008 over KR2000

Even with 2/3's less of the original cast i felt KR2008 was far more faithful to the tone and ideals of the original series.

I can still remember being at my Granparents local videoshop (When i though KR had been lost to the sands of time) when i spied KR2000 on the shelf. Sure there was a strange (and in my opinion ugly) red car on the cover but so was Michael knight. I could barely contain my excitement as i sat down to get a fix of some brand new Knight Rider. Sadly what i got was a scrapped T/A :cry: (that was a huge kick in the teeth), a new red pretender :? and the death of a legend :cry: :cry: :cry:

When i watch it know, it just upsets me that although they included the characters, they just weren't the same (but not in a way that could easily be put down to the passage of time) However what upsets me the most is that Devon's demise came from the hands of rubbish villian :x :cry: :x :cry: :x :cry:
libolt wrote:I will say that the one thing I definitely still like is Jan Hammer's KR2000 theme. While it's not as good as the original, (or the new movie's mix that I quite like), it just sounds cool to me, especially the opening sequence.
Yes that tune is one of the movies few saving graces. :), that and the "you look like crap line" :P
Michael: "Devon, someone tried to kill me last night!"
Devon: "I have an alibi"

epc1122
Rookie

Post by epc1122 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:19 pm

i dont get why people think this movie is instead of kr2000. having this new movie isnt supposed to take away from anything that has happened in the past. in the interviews, i believe the intent for this one is to be a continuation of not just the original series, but everything that has come from the past. even knight rider 2010 could essentially fit in this continuity. i believe its supposed to be trans am, kift, team knight rider, mustang kitt, knight rider 2010. so it shouldnt be an "instead of" or "or" question, it should just be which do you like better.

Evan

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:17 pm

where they went wrong with KR 2000 was the '2000' part of it. It should have just been the continuing adventures of KITT and Michael Knight; The new movie, well it wasn't that good, but it wasn't that bad. It has potential, alot of potential, much more than KR2000 ever had at all......So I hope with a few tweaks this new movie, like a little less CGI shoved down your throat, it can be improved enough to make a good show out of it.

darthknight72
Recruit

Post by darthknight72 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:34 am

Not even close for me.I thought the new movie was really well done.As far as Knight Rider 2000 goes,I find it really hard to sit through that,and that is coming from a die-hard Knight Rider fan.I know some of you on here do not like the choice of the Mustang,but I for one really like the choice.

Amir
Operative

Post by Amir » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:42 am

I can't bring myself to watch Knight Rider 2000, haven't done it in years. It just ruined the whole myth for me. Michael is still a loner but his new best friends are fish, Devon is dead, KITT is a tomato with wierd features, a new driver and a new boss, both unlikable characters. So why watch it when I've got 84 episodes of the real thing to watch?

The new Knight Rider, though far from perfect, is far better. I wouldn't want to watch an episode of a series based on KR2000, but the 2008 version? Now that's far more interesting as a stand alone, plus they can still show far more respect to the characters of the original show in the new series, if it happens.

NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit

Post by NeoRanger » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:18 pm

Knight Rider 2000 for me. At the very least it wasn't horribly dull.

The one unforgivable thing KR2000 did was change the sex of KITT's pilot. Knight Rider is really a guys shtick.

Tony
Rookie

Post by Tony » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:48 am

Here is my input. Knight Rider 2000 was not all that bad. I mean yeah the car was red, yeah the car was a Dodge Stealth ( which I really don't care for at all ) yeah it was also a 57 Chevy. But most importantly, it was K.I.T.T.
Voiced by William Daniels. This New Knight Rider reminds me of the original a lot. New guy, New car, Some what of a new story as well. I am a huge GM hater. I really don't like any cars produced by General Motors. But however I do own a fully functional K.I.T.T. replica. And to top that off I also own a 2006 Ford Mustang GT. LOL which I bought well before I found out about K.I.T.T. being a Mustang in the new Knight Rider. Now when I first heard about this, I was not impressed about K.I.T.T. being a Mustang. I would look at my car ( Mustang ) and say to myself " How on earth are they gonna make this work" ? I could not picture a scanner in the big grill that the mustangs have. If they left the scanner out, then that would be dumb as well. Now being a Ford fan ( Don't hate me for that ) I was not sure if it would work or not, I too was like most of you guys. I wanted to see the "OLD" K.I.T.T. back in action for the new film. But then I saw the pics of the new K.I.T.T. and oh my god it looked good. Now the Shelby GT 500KR was the right choice. now I can see where the scanner would go. now I see that bad ass in K.I.T.T. ok so i accept it. I am sure glad they did not use that god awful Camaro. The Corvette would of did fine, but that car is more for a woman ( No punn intended).

I enjoyed this new Knight Rider a lot better than KR 2000. But I still have good thoughts about KR 2000. Lets see how well this new one will be when it becomes a series. Cross your fingers guys. I'm looking forward to it..

Later

Tony

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:35 pm

I rewatched KR 2000 yesterday just to get a better feel of it. I wanted to be sure some of my recollections weren't clouded by time, and I found some where. Don't get me wrong, it is not on my top five favorite KR adventures, but it wasn't as bad as I remembered. The reason I rate KR 2008 over 2000 is that 2000 (even after a fresh viewing) was just darn depressing in many spots. Devon's death was probably the epitome, but having Michael all burnt out and KITT downgraded to a Chevy body just really didn't sit right with me. The new movie just dove into its story headlong and for the most part was a fun romp in the KR universe.

That said, I appreciated what they tried the writers tried to do with the character of Shawn McCormick by giving her some parallels to Michael Long. I also enjoyed the fact that Maddock(sp?) was an ass who (at the end of the day) wanted to do what was right and not just what affected the bottom line.

KR 2008 was just more fun than 2000 IMO.
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

dgdecal
Stranger

Post by dgdecal » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:42 am

I think the KR2000 movie was better than the KR2008 movie. The car looked better and it had that bullet proof shell like the 1982 kitt. The KR2008 movies shows its vunerable if no computer on or the self repair. Plus both the original KITT and 4000 model KITT both could turbo boost..

Personally I think they should replace the car if a new series happens back to the 4000 model that appeared in the KR2000 movie. I think peoples should watch the KR2000 movie again and see the car seemed more sleek and better looking.

blowersho
Operative

Post by blowersho » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:59 am

The Knight 4000 never turbo boosted.

DJGM
FLAG Assistant

Post by DJGM » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:58 pm

Despite KR2000 being generally not well received by most, I think it can (and should)
still form part of the official KR continuity and be considered "canon". It may have
had a few inconsistencies but they could fairly easily be explained in New KR,
if NBC gives the green light and commissions a full series.

<-> The cryogenic prison facility:
Quayton State Prison would have been the only prison allowed to have facilities to
put the most dangerous criminals in stasis. The rest of the prison would've still
beena regular prison, with cells, inmates, and wardens/guards. When the local
authorities realised the cryogenic prison experiment didn't make any actual
difference, they deemed it an expensive failure and scrapped it.

<-> The ultrasonic stun guns:
Only used in the Seattle area. Other police departments were not confident of
they're overall usefulness and continued using regular handguns and Tasers.

<-> Russ Maddock
Caught using the Knight Foundation accounts for money laundering. Also found
to have been involved in a protection racket. Sentenced to a minimum of eight
years incarceration and sent to serve his time at Quayton Prison in 2001.

<-> Shawn McCormick
After Russ Maddock is sent to jail, Shawn quits the Foundation, but still eager
to help fight crime, and eventually sets up a firm of private investigators.

<-> The Knight 4000 Project.
Shelved indefinitely soon after Maddock's trial. The remains of the original KITT's
technologies are removed from the K4000 and re-installed in the old Trans-Am.
KITT is officially "retired", and placed in secure storage (much more secure
than where KARR was stored in 1982) and the K4000 is dismantled.

At some point between then and now, Charles Graiman decides to pull the
original KITT out of storage (hence the appearance of the old Trans Am in
his lab in the new KR pilot) and start work on building a brand new KITT,

Exactly what he had in mind for the original KITT is as yet unknown, but
may well be revealed at some point, if a new series is commissioned.

It's worth noting that the Knight Industries company/organisation was never
mentioned in KR2000, and the Knight 4000 was never officially referred to
as the Knight Industries 4000 or KIFT, even though it was intended to
eventually replace KITT as an official Knight Foundation vehicle

If any Knight Rider spin offs produced since the original series and the latest
sequel production from NBC are to be ignored or bypassed as not "canon",
it should be (IMO) both Knight Rider 2010 and Team Knight Rider.

GarthKnight08
FLAG Recruit

Post by GarthKnight08 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:42 am

Well to sum it all up i watched Knight Rider 2000 the other day just because i havent seen it in ages & it was just horrible! KR08 is much better in every way you can compare.
Founder of OKA (Original KITT Anonymous)
If you need to get out feelings of loss for the Original KITT then we can help!

DorianX
Recruit

Post by DorianX » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:37 am

I really liked Knightrider 2000 back when it first aired, but it has not aged well.

I think that it really beat out the new movie in terms of High Concept -- it tried much harder to be something "new", whereas Knight Rider 2008 just doesn't have that much to distinguish it from any other techno-adventure series.

On the other hand, the whole "near future" setting of Knight Rider 2000 is pretty much a death sentence. I mean, really, President Dan Quayle?

William Daniels kicks the ass of Val Kilmer any day. Duh.

Whereas a lot of people complained about too much focus on Shawn, I think it was really the opposite -- I thought that there was too much focus on Michael. I've got nothing but affection for The Hoff, but had they gone to series, it would have been Shawn's show. Michael was a guest star, and the amount of focus they gave him really detracted from really giving us a good introduction to the *permanent* characters.

The new KITT's 'wow factor' is a bit better than the 4K. Despite my disappointment with most of the Knight 3000's abilities (I mean, let's face it, good gas mileage is handy, sure, but it doesn't really get me going "Wow!" the way "Holy crap that car can jump!" does), his "big thing", the nanoskin, really *is* impressive. I think that the real deal here is that for each of the cars, we really have *one specific thing* that is meant to make you go "wow!" -- 20 years later, we can talk about MBS and the microwave jammer and all that, but when you were a kid playing Knight Rider with your friends, the Big Thing KITT could do was *turbo boost*. So what do we have:

Knight 2000: "Wow" thing: Turbo Boost
Knight 3000: "Wow" thing: Nanoskin
Knight 4000: "Wow" thing: Virtual reality mode

(If you listen to the dialogue, I get a very strong impression that they writers really meant for us to be impressed by the K4K's hud)

So I think that the new pilot did a lot better on capturing the "wow", and also on capturing the "feel" of the original series -- not that I'm sure whether it was better to do that instead of trying to come up with a new feel all its own.

Where Knight Rider 2000 really outshines the new pilot is the coherence of the plot. Frankly, the plot of 2008 pilot is pretty slapshod. The villains are poorly thought out; plot threads are set up as important then dropped, a lot of actions take place for no reason other than to put everyone in the right place for the next scene, and the characterization is all over the place. I think my girlfriend summed it up very well when she said "Too much driving; not enough car." Far-fetched though the setup of Knight Rider 2000 may have been, the plot at least all hung together, with effects proceeding naturally from their causes and actually building toward something (Michael and Shawn actually have to do *investigating* to *uncover* what's going on. Mike and Sarah just sort of randomly wander upon the bad guys and chase-or-get-chased.)

Also, for all we call the 4k a "Dodge Stealth" that's not really true; it's really a custom car built from the chassis of a Stealth; it's not really any more a Stealth than my wood coffee table is a tree. And it's clear that a lot more work went into making that car than went into the 3K; the 4k isn't a normal car, and isn't *meant to look like one*, whereas the mustang is clearly a matter of "We want people to go to the dealership and be able to say "Give me a mustang that looks like KITT."

Finally, KITT as a '57 chevy is the COOLEST FSCKING THING EVER.