Val Kilmers KI3T: Your thoughts

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Niggle Snoosh
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Val Kilmers KI3T: Your thoughts

Post by Niggle Snoosh » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:12 pm

I have to say that when i first heard that Val Kilmer was taking on the role of KI3T i was both shocked and disappointed, being a recognisable movie star i assumed that it just wouldn't work
When i watched the pilot the first time round i thought he did ok, his voice was recognisable but not distractingly so but i felt that although he didn't do anything bad he didn't do anything that great either.

I have since watched it again and now that i've had a little time to get used to it, the voice has grown on me a great deal (He's no William Daniels but likeable)
He has a very deadpan appeal but i like it, hes speaks with little emotion with slight and wry tonal changes that i think work well. We must also bear in mind that he was brought in at the last minute so his performance should be even better in a series.

Now what i have grown to like that some probably wont is the robotic/automated message like quality he has now and then. It sounds to me like the sound team have gone to the trouble of recording his lines, breaking them up to one word segments and piecing them back together to sound like a voice/speech program does when you type something. I know that this almost seems like a step back since William Daniel's KITT spoke normally but to me it just sounds a bit more believable as the voice of a sophisticated computer AI
Michael: "Devon, someone tried to kill me last night!"
Devon: "I have an alibi"

GoodKnight
Stranger

Re: Val Kilmers KI3T: Your thoughts

Post by GoodKnight » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:58 pm

I like it. He does sound different than KI2T (Daniels), but that's OK with me. He's pretty good. I like the understated sound of the voice. It works for me.

TheMechanic
Rookie

Post by TheMechanic » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:07 am

I rather disliked it.
Now, it wasn't bad, I think Kilmer has potential, here. And I think that a lot of it had to do with the super-quick redub.

I miss the human quality of KI2T's voice. I think that Kilmer's sounded too computerized and cold to be KITT. But that's my personal opinion.

I think, if taken to series, they will have a lot more time to work out voice tone/pitch/volume and it could be a lot better. ^
Turbo Boost, Baby!

David
Rookie

Post by David » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:03 pm

I have to admit that I liked it. I was stoked to hear Will Arnett was onboard and then dismayed about the ensuing SNAFU involving GM.

However, to me Kilmer's calm almost soothing tones really hark back to the original sound of KITT's voice in the original pilot. He did a good job for the amount of time he was given (probably no more than a single day - though I suppose he didn't have that many lines.)

Charlie Brown
Recruit

Post by Charlie Brown » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:04 pm

KI2T developed his wit and sense of humor over time, as he got to know Michael better. Kind of like two people who become friends, they take time to learn each other's senses of humor before they can start playing off of each other.

I can see the same type of development happening between Mike and KI3T if the movie goes to series. You can see signs of this from that conversation between Sarah and KI3T during the movie, when KI3T responds to her with "That does...suck."

Drake
Operative

Post by Drake » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:18 pm

I think he was great and will only get better. He's kinda stuffy now but he'll get more personality as time goes on. Maybe even quicker than the K2000 KITT.
The Kenner Knight 2000 Voice Car. One toy can make a difference.........

Knight6000
Recruit

Post by Knight6000 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:22 pm

I thought he was a great KITT.Thought I'm biased,because I love Val Kilmer.

Though I hope they find someone just as good for KARR if they put him in the series.