Will Val Kilmer carry on if there's a full series?

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Dalton
Recruit

Will Val Kilmer carry on if there's a full series?

Post by Dalton » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:07 pm

I hope he does, I thought he did a good job. I thought Arnett sounded really good in the trailers before he had to be replaced, but Kilmer seemed to get the essence of KITT better. Does anybody know if Kilmer is a fan of the old show?

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Will Val Kilmer carry on if there's a full series?

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:37 pm

He's contracted, probably for the same length of time as the rest of the cast to do it so I would assume so.

We barely heard anything of Will Arnett in the commercials/previews except maybe one or two snippets. The rest were someone else, either the KARRish voice or the more "calm" voice that also wasn't him. The only dialog I really can think of is his saying "Hello Mike".
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Drake
Operative

Post by Drake » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:26 pm

I don't see why not. Voice over stuff is easy money for these guys. I belive it was either Nancy Cartwright (Bart Simpson) or Yeardly Smith (Lisa Simpson) that said they get paid quite well for what little work they do. Plus who know's maybe he was a fan of the orignal series too.
The Kenner Knight 2000 Voice Car. One toy can make a difference.........

KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit

Post by KRAvengerII » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:41 pm

It would be nice if someday, somewhere, we could see an interview with him,hopefully acknowledging the old series. I'm still not sure if i want him doing the voice in the series, but I don't know who I'd rather have instead.
KITT: I walked right into that one, didn't I?
Michael: More like Turbo Boosted.

Knight6000
Recruit

Post by Knight6000 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:43 pm

I'd like to have him back to voice KITT for sure.

KnightCrusader99
Operative

Post by KnightCrusader99 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:36 pm

Me too. However, whoever it was the did the voice over in the commercials - Arnett or not - should come back and voice an evil car (maybe KARR) if they ever have one in the new series. He sounded sinister enough.

KRisBack
Recruit

Post by KRisBack » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:26 pm

Sorry guys but I hope he doesn't come back. KITT is not cold and dry. He's proper and witty.
I'm not saying to bring Daniels back but Val needs to go.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:58 pm

New KITT, needs a new personality.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

MSFproductionsMAIN
Volunteer

Post by MSFproductionsMAIN » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:01 am

Original KITTS personality was the sameway in the Pilot episode if you remember. This KITT is new and still learning.

KRisBack
Recruit

Post by KRisBack » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:34 am

MSFproductionsMAIN wrote:Original KITTS personality was the sameway in the Pilot episode if you remember. This KITT is new and still learning.
I didn't think of it that way. But it doesn't matter as I already know that it's Kilmer doing the voice and I just can't stand it. But I do hope he gets more personality maybe I'll like it.

It's like the car, I wanted to die when I saw it but it grew on me. I even told my wife that we should buy a mustang. :oops:

KnightLady
Operative

Post by KnightLady » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:32 am

I have mixed feelings about this. To me Val is closer in voice to the original KITT(Daniels), but his voice seems so rigid, so stiff. If he does stay he needs to loosen up a bit and put a little more personality in it.

BlueChaos
FLAG Recruit

Post by BlueChaos » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:57 am

Hmm. I have to say that I like Kilmer's voice. Especially that part where KITT consoled Sarah after Charles was thought to be dead. Can't imagine Arnett doing that with that sinister and deep, dark, gritty voice of his. As for KITT's personality, I think the stiff and cold tone is not Kilmer's fault but more about the script -- maybe it is actually made that way so that KITT will learn to be more humanlike during the series.
"If Darth Vader had a KITT bathroom, then he would have ruled the galaxy far far away since a long long time ago..." *LASER!* :good:

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:27 am

I think it's also important to remember that whenever you talk about an actor's performance, especially VO work - you have to take into account that the actor is being directed by someone. Clearly whoever worked in the studio with VK told him to do a particular take on the voice. It is possible they did it this way just to give the AI development possibilities.

There was definitely some good humanity in certain moments. The moments they need to emulate more include:

1) KITT consoling Sarah.

2) The "Yes, I know." moments.

3) KITT asking Mike "What are you doing?" and "Is this going to become a habit?" These moments rang the truest to me in terms of how he should sound.
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

Drake
Operative

Post by Drake » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:26 pm

Plus they probably had limited time to redo the recording of KITT's voice.
The Kenner Knight 2000 Voice Car. One toy can make a difference.........

knightstand
Recruit

Post by knightstand » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:26 pm

I hope he carrries on. I agree with the others who mentioned that KITT was in the pilot (Original series) less human. In fact, he and michael were often at odds until KITT rescued Michael from the jail in the original pilot. I look forward to seeing the new KITT evolve.

WeirdMetamorphosis
Volunteer

Post by WeirdMetamorphosis » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:15 am

Val Kilmer's voice was very soothing like. You can tell its Will Arnett in this video http://youtube.com/watch?v=fJzqZiiM1BE . Will Arnett would of been just as good as Val Kilmer is. Although no one can really replace William Daniels aka Mr. Feeny lol.
One Man Can Make A Difference