KITT communicating visually.

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

KamenRider
Recruit

KITT communicating visually.

Post by KamenRider » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:48 pm

I don't know about anyone else here but I thought the way the new movie had KITT using file images as a way to convey or puncuate what he was saying was an interesting touch. If was effective for comedy in the potato chip scene and the scene at the gas station.

But I also felt it was used to great dramatic effect in the scene where KITT is talking to Sarah about her Mother and when she tells him that her Mother died the picture of them together slowly fades to black.

It's an interesting touch that seems really odd at first but I think it adds a new dimension to how KITT interacts. I'm glad they didn't decide to totally use that to replace the voice box but rather as something to integrate the voice box with the monitor.

Valdez
Rookie
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: KITT communicating visually.

Post by Valdez » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:39 pm

I thought it was very funny and intriguing. Definitely set him apart from the original KITT, especially the littering scene...I laughed pretty good at that one. :lol:
~The Monster's Loose....:karr:

TheMechanic
Rookie

Post by TheMechanic » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:22 am

I thought it was a nice touch too.
And the new voice modulator/display was neat. (as in the red scope-bar)
You guys are right, it adds another dimension to his personality. And the littering thing made me giggle. XD
Turbo Boost, Baby!

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:28 am

I was going to make a topic about it because I know I've seen something exactly like that before in a TV show or a movie...

I was fine with it but I just wish the VM was in a different location, somewhere eye level.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

TheMechanic
Rookie

Post by TheMechanic » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:39 pm

Hmmm, good point Phoenix.
To have it in the middle console like that makes you look down upon it, both physically and subconsciously. It may not be apparent, but things like that are often linked. Who knows?

In any case, it DOES look cool, and I think that's more of the effect they were going for. :lol:
Turbo Boost, Baby!

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:37 pm

I definitely agree. This was a wonderful way for KITT to express himself both visually. It was his equivalent of hand gestures that a human being would do. The fact that some of the pictures were cultural references (such as the crying Native American) were smart since we live in a day and age where pop culture references are very in style. This takes that idea and runs with it.

I also have to say that KITT's use of different colors when trying to console Sarah was a brilliant move. Having the color reflect the mood of the person he was trying to help made perfect sense and really added an emotional depth to that scene it would not have had otherwise.
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:55 am

I think I mentioned color changing with mood as a joke somewhere, maybe here, but it was regarding the scanner. :P I like it but I'm also still certain that the photo reference thing was done before somewhere. For the life of my I can't recall where...
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Niggle Snoosh
Operative

Post by Niggle Snoosh » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:35 pm

I think that was cool too, what also occured to me is the images he displays are the kind of thing i would expect to find in a google image search or on a website devoted to a specific subject. Which to me makes it cooler since it makes it feel more real like he just pulled them from the net but not completely at random.

Yes and the way he faded the mother & daughter picture was awesome, it genuinely felt that he was showing compassion.
Michael: "Devon, someone tried to kill me last night!"
Devon: "I have an alibi"

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sat May 24, 2008 5:00 pm

So, I'm sitting here bored, channel surfing and happened to stop on WGN which is airing Flubber/The AbsentMinded Professor remake. I finally remember where I saw it before (obviously) as they did it with Weebo, the Batteries Not Included like flying robot Though it was done more with video in the movie.

Oh and yeah, I'm bumping a topic that's been dead for three months, sue me. :lol:

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Sat May 24, 2008 6:28 pm

PHOENIXZERO wrote:So, I'm sitting here bored, channel surfing and happened to stop on WGN which is airing Flubber/The AbsentMinded Professor remake. I finally remember where I saw it before (obviously) as they did it with Weebo, the Batteries Not Included like flying robot Though it was done more with video in the movie.
Oh and yeah, I'm bumping a topic that's been dead for three months, sue me. :lol:
That’s okay, I hadn’t read this thread yet. But I agree, the pictures are a great touch. You can’t just Google up a photo and stick it in your show. They have to clear and pay for all the photos they use -so if they keep this in the new show it will be keeping someone gainfully employed.
I’d keep a close eye on these pics in the future, who knows what fun stuff could pop up in there. Like when KITT flashes through “faces on the internet” while searching for Mike, I’m wondering if those were members of the production staff.

Okay you guys, how many times have you been saying about KI2T having his VM behind the steering wheel. It FINALLY sunk in. :roll:
:dash:
I really thought it was in the center where KI3T is. They always have such a CU shot on it you never really grasp where it is located. And when shooting it through the driver’s door it doesn’t look centered behind the wheel.
dash.jpg
dash.jpg (29.49 KiB) Viewed 8312 times
Okay duh Sue. It was those awesome pics from kittsupercar.com that finally made it sink in. Well that’s why I never had any objections to the new location.

(You’ll notice I always like to talk with pictures too. :D )
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

MJknight
Operative

Post by MJknight » Sun May 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Makes you wonder where and how KITT's monitor setup will be when we get to the first proper episode of Second Generation. As Garry Scott Thompson has stated is that the KITTstang dashboard is going to have a complete redesign layout so that it has that "wow" factor. I made note of this on issue 9 of Knight Watch on my youtube channel.

I would like to think in regards to to the yet-to-be-seen new design, they would have the best of both worlds where they would have the nice useful features of the K3000, but have a very subtle nod to KITT-classic's dashboard.

Speaking of the original KITT; is there any word on the wire as to whether he will have any appearances in the new series?
One Man Can Make A Difference - Wilton Knight

rhdaussiekitt
FLAG Recruit

Post by rhdaussiekitt » Tue May 27, 2008 12:56 am

makes u wonder why they had the original kitt there in the garage in the pilot, if they werent gonna use him somehow.
--knightman--

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:36 am

rhdaussiekitt wrote:makes u wonder why they had the original kitt there in the garage in the pilot, if they werent gonna use him somehow.
I see the purpose as twofold. First it's some homage eye candy. Second, it's a trap door to allow for future stories involving KITT 2000 (or some variant thereof). All that in only a few seconds of film. :)
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)