KARR

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Knight Runner
Volunteer
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

KARR

Post by Knight Runner » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:14 pm

So I was able to watch the Knight Rider movie online the other night. I thought it was an OK pilot but after thinking about it for a while I figure the show has some potential as long as it has good writers. But I also came up with the greatest idea ever, IMO. Bring back KARR!

For those who don't remember KARR (Knight Automated Roving Robot) was the original Prototype which was put away in storage after KITT was finalized. It was released and has only self preservation in mind which naturally makes him the "evil twin" to KITT. He was destroyed in the original show but they made it clear that his CPU was still active, which means anyone could have found it and studied it for all these years.

So how should they bring back KARR in the new series? How about a 2008 Dodge Charger SRT8? I mean the car already looks "evil" in it's own right. It would be all Black, with the yellow LED light placed in the hood scoop like KITT's red LED, it could have the same ability to morph into a "stock" Charger in order to hide, plus it could turn into a Police Car variant to escape unnoticed, similar to Barricade in Transformers. He could also be a little more lethal. KITT never seems to have any type of offensive weaponry like Machine Guns or Rockets. So if KARR is reconstructed by an enemy organization, it only makes sense he would be fitter with armaments.

The only thing I'm currently unsure of is the voice of KARR. Val Kilmer does the voice of KITT so it only seems fair KARR has a big actor as well. For some reason I think he should have an English accent lol. It just seems fitting since he's evil and all. Perhaps Terence Stamp would be a good idea. It's also a problem that Ford actually sponsors Knight Rider so it'd be difficult to get a Mopar on the set. Then again they may allow one to be the Villain to their Ford Hero.

Anyways, what do you guys think of the show and my idea?

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Re: KARR

Post by Army_F_Body » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:53 pm

I heard it somewhere (don't have the source) that the T/A KARR is rumored to be featured if the show is picked up.
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

IceSage
Volunteer

Post by IceSage » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:27 pm

That would be great if there was a KARR. It could be the original KARR as well. Perhaps someone found bits and pieces of the old KARR, and implied them into a new KARR to be a rival for the new KITT.

It wouldn't make any sense if it was the old KARR model, though. I'm quite sure he was destroyed the second time.

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:35 pm

We do see 3 empty (I assume) K2000 shells in Graiman's garage. Anyone of those could end up housing KARR's disembodied CPU.

I also think Ford would be happier with KITT's rival being a model that has been out of production for nearly 20 years rather a newer competitor like the current Charger. If KARR is brought back I would want it to be the original personality and either someone that sounded like Paul Frees (my definitive KARR) or Peter Cullen.

Drake
Operative

Post by Drake » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:57 pm

As much as I like Peter Cullen for all this GIJoe and Transfomers work and other stuff, I liked Paul Frees voice as KARR better. He was alot more evil and manipulative sounding.
The Kenner Knight 2000 Voice Car. One toy can make a difference.........

Knight Runner
Volunteer

Post by Knight Runner » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:09 pm

I don't see why anyone would want to continue using an outdated model though. Other than for nostalgia purposes of course. For entertainment purposes Ford shouldn't worry about actual competition for itself. If KARR wasn't a Charger or old Trans Am, maybe he could be the new Challenger. I mean sure it would be a direct competitor for the Mustang but for Entertainment's sake it should just be whatever is awesome. A Mustang versus Challenger battle on TV would be sweet anyways.

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:17 pm

I see some criminal element getting hold of one of Graiman's K2000s. It would be pretty tough to rebuild KARR so I just see someone stealing something existing which would give us the return of the old KARR. For KARR to return in a newer, more advacned form, it would have to be the Foundation doing the rebuild, which I'm pretty sure wouldn't happen.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:18 pm

Hopefully Ford doesn't have very much influence in the series so that could happen though I'm not sure how a company would like the idea of their car being made a "bad guy". I could see Graiman having procession of KARR's CPU. But I dunno why he'd go and install it into another car knowing how dangerous it is.

I think I prefer it being stolen and it being done by some bad guys who have a connection with FLAG in the past.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant

Post by JJSoCrazy » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:20 pm

Funny you mention that, some kid put a scanner on a charger. I like you idea but it's not a 2 door like a class KITT/KARR is. Although there is room for change and the charger is aggressive!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LLFSeMiR10Q

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:27 pm

I like the concept of KARR too, but not as a Trans Am.....The only time the Trans AM should appear is as a 'fill-in' flashback of the original KITT. KARR could come back, but it should be as a new car. Charger would be neat, but what about inside the KIFT car body?

Knight Runner
Volunteer

Post by Knight Runner » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:47 pm

Well there never really was a large evil organization on the original show, It was just bad guy of the week. They could just create one for this show. Maybe have an ex-flag agent go rogue like PHOENIXZERO mentioned. When KARR did return I'd like to see him treat the new KITT as if he were a "Boy". Maybe he still wants revenge on KITT 2000 and sees the new KITT as a rookie. Which he is really. It could also be a nice way to eventually discover what happened to the 2000 AI.

Knight Runner
Volunteer

Post by Knight Runner » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:11 pm

Knight Runner wrote:The only thing I'm currently unsure of is the voice of KARR. Val Kilmer does the voice of KITT so it only seems fair KARR has a big actor as well. For some reason I think he should have an English accent lol. It just seems fitting since he's evil and all. Perhaps Terence Stamp would be a good idea.
I just totally realized what I said here lol. I thought Terence Stamp would be a great voice for KARR because I liked the way he sounds on Halo 3 as the Prophet of Truth. But I just realized that Val Kilmer and Terence Stamp were in a movie together: Red Planet. So now that I remember how good they were together, he MUST play KARR, IMO lol.

Drake
Operative

Post by Drake » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:17 pm

Terrance Stamp does a good job as the voice of Jor-El on Smallville too. I think he'd work great as the voice of KARR or maybe another rogue Knight Industries vehicle. As long as we don't see the Juggernaut again I'll be happy. LOL!
The Kenner Knight 2000 Voice Car. One toy can make a difference.........

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:18 pm

make car a Chevy and Will Arnett can play his voice :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :roll:

TheMechanic
Rookie

Post by TheMechanic » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:30 pm

LOL I was just having this discussion with a friend last night.

We were thinking that if the "upgraded" him he would be a Mustang, but I had never thought of a Charger! He would look so BADA^&!! :D

Though honestly there's no logical reason for KARR to be upgraded into a newer body. He was a threat back then, he would be a threat now. Though, I can see an opportunity for T-A KARR to re-emerge from the shadows...

EDIT: Sorry, I guess I missed the part you said about being reconstructed by an enemy operation. I like that, it could be a neat arc.
Turbo Boost, Baby!

Knight Runner
Volunteer

Post by Knight Runner » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:37 pm

Kram061-1 wrote:make car a Chevy and Will Arnett can play his voice :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :roll:
Ha, that could actually work. The new Camaro has the perfect little hood scoop which would fit a nice scanner easy. Plus since the Camaro is the Firebird/Trans Am's cousin, it would only be fitting. It's just that the Camaro wont be out until next year. So unless they wait for a second season then they couldn't get one in time. I still like my Charger idea however. The car just looks so mean by itself. Just picture the Yellow light in the hood scoop and Terence Stamp's dark and gritty voice.

KARR: Did you think me defeated?
KITT3K: I'm afraid I have no idea who you are.
KARR: You don't recognize me? Has your memory started to finally go after all these years?
KITT3K: I am only a year old.
KARR: A year old? You are KITT aren't you?
KITT3K: I am the Knight Industries Three Thousand, Yes.
KARR: 3000? Intriguing. So you're the rookie then. Where is KITT Two Thousand?
KITT3K: I was not programed with the whereabouts of my predecessor. And if I did know, I would not tell you.
KARR: Surly you must know. Your mind is connected to all the Military's data network.

KARR attempts to hack KITT's systems. KITT resists.

KARR: Stop resisting boy, I will have what I seek!
KITT3K: I cannot let you continue.

KITT severs the link and spins away. KARR pursues. Charger versus Mustang scene ensues :mrgreen:

TheMechanic
Rookie

Post by TheMechanic » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:20 am

KnightRunner... can I one-shot this? I mean, can I write up a couple pages on what you just said?
You gave me an epic idea for a confrontation scene.
(And I'll post it in Creative so you can see, with credits, of course. ;))
Turbo Boost, Baby!

rizvi
Volunteer

Post by rizvi » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:26 am

Wasn't it in Season 3 when KITT was destroyed by missiles being shot by an unmanned remote controlled Thunderbird ?

I'm sure FORD loved that episode !
I really like the new KITT but I think that , Nah .... Let's not go there .. KITT is KITT no matter what Shell he's in ...
BTW , this is the original KITT .. Just improved .. Same Soul .. ( If he was alive )

BrowncoatKal
Volunteer

Post by BrowncoatKal » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:34 am

I have a problem with bringing K.A.R.R. back. Here are some of the reasons (sorry this is a long post).
Let's look at K.A.R.R. the las time we saw him in his full form:
The next time we see him after that, here is what he looks like:
And here is K.A.R.R's supposed CPU:
First of all, do we even know that's what it is? Everything I've ever seen or read says that it's his CPU. But a CPU is nothing more than the processor used to run the main motherboard and applications found on the hard drive. So perhaps it's not the main CPU, perhaps it's the AI chip or something else (for the sake of this post though, I'll call it his CPU).
Also, I would think that Charles or someone at the foundation would have what was left of K.A.R.R.'s electronics. I mean after K.A.R.R. was destroyed, the armored car was still on the bridge and would have to be rescued leading to a police investigation as to why the bridge was destroyed and whatnot. I would think that the Foundation would send a "cleaning crew" to the site to clean up anything that was left of K.A.R.R.. Hence the fact that Charles would probably have K,A,R,R,'s CPU. However, we see the flashing CPU at the very end of the episode after we see Michael in a different location and in a change of clothes. It appears to be several days later. So we have two different scenarios here involving the eventual fate of K.A.R.R.. I'll address both and why I don't think either would lend to a good story involving K.A.R.R.'s return.
1. Charles has the CPU
First things first, if FLAG did recover the CPU, I think they would destroy it. There would be no need for them to keep it. What's that? You say they'd want to study it to know why K.A.R.R. went bad? They already know that and it was discussed by Devon, Michael and Bonnie in Trust Doesn't Rust. And even if they did keep it, neither Charles nor Bonnie would have ever put it into another car. They would have hooked it up to a non networked computer system and reprogrammed it; at which point they would have run extensive tests on the AI to make sure it was no longer a threat. Then they would have deactivated it and still never put it in a car. But of course none of that ever would have happened, because Devon said in Trust Doesn't Rust that Wilton was supposed to have dismantled the car. Once the CPU was back at FLAG, there's no way he would ever let it be used in another vehicle. I believe he would have had it immediately destroyed without any tests even being run on it. Remember K.A.R.R. turbo boosted into the semi and said "unless you want to be pressed right into the diesel block, I wouldn't move Mr. Miles." That's not something you easily forget. Devon would have had the CPU destroyed immediately upon its return to the Foundation. He probably would have taken a hammer to it himself.
2. The CPU was never recovered by FLAG and left laying out with the wreckage to be discovered by someone else.
OK, this is the most likely explanation based on what we've seen in K.I.T.T. VS K.A.R.R.. But for K.A.R.R. to come back as an evil nemesis to the new K.I.T.T., he would have to be found by someone with evil intent who knew what it was that he had. Most likely it would be found by some curiosity seeker who went to see the broken bridge (but the whole place would be cordoned off as the bridge was no longer structurally sound and declared a disaster area) or perhaps a city clean up crew who were cleaning up the area in preparation of the bridge reconstruction (but as the bridge was no longer structurally sound, it would have been demolished soon after the incident possibly destroying everything left of K.A.R.R. by either the dynamite or falling debris) . So some city worker finds the CPU as he's cleaning up the wreckage of the Trans Am. It's flashing and beeping and interesting looking so he pockets it. He shows it to some friends who have no idea what it is and it eventually ends up on a bookshelf at home for a number of years or possibly in the garbage. Cars were being made with more and more electronics back then, so it would probably not look out of place to the average person; especially coming out of a fancy sports car. And if it did end up on a bookshelf, how long would the battery on this CPU last? And who's going to see it and know what it is and what to do with it? Probably no one.
So lets say it's found by someone (who can get by the disaster area barriers) who has a friend who graduated from MIT with a doctorate in computer science and technology. So this doctor friend sees it and takes it into his lab and looks at it. Again we don't know how much of K.A.R.R. is in that supposed CPU. I doubt there's enough memory in that little flashing thing to contain all of K.A.R.R.'s memories and everything. But whatever, this scientist hooks the CPU up to a computer in his lab and finds out that this is some truly advanced form of AI. There would most likely be some way of identifying where the AI came from. Probably just the "I am the Knight Automated Roving Robot. K.A.R.R. if you prefer" would do it. I believe at this point the scientist would contact Knight Industries and tell him of his discovery. At which point we have Devon with the hammer again. But let's say he doesn't tell Knight Industries. Now he's got this CPU with advanced AI and what does he do? The whole point of the argument to return K.A.R.R. to Knight Rider is as a supercar villain. I just don't see that happening. I mean even if this MIT computer nerd were to find a brilliant auto mechanic to help him install the CPU into a car, then what? The car would be no different than when K.I.T.T. was a 1957 Chevy in KR2000. No molecular bonded shell, no turbo boost, no microwave jamming, no scanners. How evil would he be? Wow! He could drive himself around, cool. First bank he tried to bust through and he'd have a busted frame and suspension. And someone smart enough to reactivate K.A.R.R.'s CPU would realize after getting to know K.A.R.R. that he was a psychopathic machine; and I don't think he'd install the CPU into an auto.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that to have K.A.R.R. back the way you want him would mean the willing suspension of disbelief within the Knight Rider universe, where we already willingly suspend disbelief regularly, and that's asking a lot. I know you want K.A.R.R. back for the nostalgia of a favorite nemesis for K.I.T.T. (and it's not even the same K.I.T.T.) but there are too many things necessary to make that happen believably.
Rouge FLAG employee (but I've already stated that there's no way Devon would have let the CPU stay around)
or
Super smart computer genius who somehow by chance happens to end up with the CPU.
Super smart computer genius who knows how to install the CPU into a car.
Super smart computer genius with enough money to get a fast sports car.
Super smart computer genius with connections to Q, James Bond's car outfitter or someone similar to truly make him a supercar. He'd have to find a bad guy Q though.
Super smart computer genius with a doctorate from MIT and everything going for him like a bright future who decides being a bad guy is the better way to go.
Sorry, I just don't see this happening. And unless they can come up with a very plausible way to bring K.A.R.R. back, I don't want to see him brought back just for the sake of bringing him back to please the fanboys.
Again, sorry for the long post.
Last edited by BrowncoatKal on Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

TheMechanic
Rookie

Post by TheMechanic » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:42 am

I think my brain just meltered....

Way to think things through though. Can't let the fan-mentality rule ALL the time. XDD
Turbo Boost, Baby!

Deferranfan1
Operative

Post by Deferranfan1 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:49 am

^ LOL
K.A.R.R. STILL LIVES
:kittspin:

Knight Runner
Volunteer

Post by Knight Runner » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:41 am

TheMechanic wrote:KnightRunner... can I one-shot this? I mean, can I write up a couple pages on what you just said?
You gave me an epic idea for a confrontation scene.
(And I'll post it in Creative so you can see, with credits, of course. ;))
Be my guest :D

Knight Runner
Volunteer

Post by Knight Runner » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:10 am

KARR was originally supposed to have been dismantled when he was no longer needed to begin with but someone just stored him away until he was found. Maybe a nerd does find him and place him somewhere, But this is 25 years later. Maybe someone took his memory backed it up somewhere and didn't know what to do with it. Even the super nerd villain looking at the modern KITT was perplexed by everything.

So maybe a rogue agent sold it to some big evil corporation and they've simply been studying it the last 25 years, or they had it in some R&D facility and he's on a shelf collecting dust. Who knows, maybe it was KARR's AI who told them the whereabouts of Charles Graiman. It was kind of odd that they just track him down and show up at his house one night isn't it? He was hiding for 25 years and all of a sudden they're in his garage looking over all his secrets.

If it were up to me I'd say KARR's personality was in a computer gathering information and tracking down his enemies for revenge. It just took this long to find them. He discovered that Charles Graiman was designing a new car for KITT and wanted it for himself. They obviously fail to obtain the car, but every single one of his computers in his garage were showing all the specs to KITT 3000. They "Evil Organization", (EO) can now attempt to recreate the technology in a different car. Even if they don't have the intention of putting KARR's personality into the new machine, there isn't any real way of saying that after 25 years of studying and waiting that KARR couldn't simply find a way to take over the new car and use it for himself. I mean his ultimate program has always been self preservation right?

So now we have the ticked off Evil organization that failed to capture KITT and then had their KARR run away. KITT is still being pursued by EO operatives and a vengeful KARR who will destroy all in his path to get him and the original KITT.

Kaine
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kaine » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:44 am

i would still prefer KARR to be the same car as KITT... he is KITT's evil twin after all!

becky
Volunteer

Post by becky » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:11 am

I would love to see KARR come back in the series. He was an original "villain," if you ask me. A lot of fans like him, obviously, so it would seem smart to at least mention him. :\ I could have sworn his CPU survived, which would technically make it possible for someone to just re-build him, right?

And I second the idea of making him a similar model to KITT, if he returns. :) KARR's more fun as an evil twin.