Magnum, Marty & Mike

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Michael Pajaro
Advisor
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Magnum, Marty & Mike

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:34 pm

In Magnum PI, Magnum drove a Ferrari and they showed the logo all the time. They made sure you knew exactly what kind of car it was, and no one was bothered by it.

In Back to the Future, we saw the DMC logo virtually non-stop. Nobody cared.

So what is it about Knight Rider that makes us not want to see any emblems? Is it simply the fact that because the Trans Am was stripped of its logos, then the Mustang has to be too? I have to tell you, I loved the firebird graphic on the regular cars and if KITT had it, I would WANT to see it on camera.

If I saw a Mustang at a car show, I would most definitely take a lot of photos of the cobra logo. Why? Because it's visually interesting. I would not take photos of a Ford logo. If something is visually interesting in real life, isn't it also interesting on TV? And isn't that all that Knight Rider did?
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Valdez
Rookie

Re: Magnum, Marty & Mike

Post by Valdez » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:42 pm

I have to agree, I noticed the emblems, but it most certainly did not ruin the show for me. I'm a Ford person, I'll admit that, and I can tell you from experience of working with the new mustang that they look more than a little odd without their emblems. The KR mustang most certainly would have looked like a run of the mill base-line mustang without them. I think people tend to forget that every show that's had one car brand as the character's ride has done advertising that way. Perhaps it's the slow-mo during the chase scenes that's tripping people up, but I really just feel they were wanting to give you a sense of speed (advertising as they did so). They did the exact same thing with SPM when all the mechanics starting transforming KITT. If the Trans Am emblems had still been attached to the car, there's no doubt they too would have been plastered all over the screen. Even Rockford Files did it with Rockford's own golden Firebird.
~The Monster's Loose....:karr:

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:53 pm

I have to say that while I wasn't all that bothered by the Cobra logo, I would have had it removed on all versions of the car. The normal version of the car I can understand, because it's supposed to look as stock as possible. The Cobra emblems on the Attack version should have been completely removed for continuity with the original K.I.T.T. I liked the fact that the original K.I.T.T. was completely blacked out and had no Pontiac logos on him, because the Trans Am looked mostly stock as it was, and those subtle changes made a big difference. Plus, I like to think of it as the Knight 2000, not a Trans Am. In my opinion, the Knight 2000 simply only used the shell and upholstery of a Trans Am; the engine and specifications inside the car were completely Knight Industries. If any logos were to be shown on the original K.I.T.T., I'd have them say "Knight 2000," like the Kenner Voice Car toy did. Just not as gigantic.
Last edited by Lost Knight on Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Drift-King
Volunteer

Post by Drift-King » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:55 pm

I think GM ask the Knight Rider to remove the tran-am logo to prevent people ask the salemen where i can buy a black kitt.

But it is not work, people alway refer that tran-am as kitt.