BIGGEST PLOT HOLES!

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

KWO
Stranger

BIGGEST PLOT HOLES!

Post by KWO » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:17 pm

Ok seriously, this stuff is messed. I hope this was only overlooked because of the writers strike, and not because the writer is no good.

1.) HOW DID CHARLES GRAIMAN AFFORD TO BUILD THE KNIGHT 3000?? WHY EVEN BUILD IT AT ALL?

Seriously, he just got bored and built it in his garage? I guess we can assume the FBI was involved? But why? It makes no sense at all. This was poorly done. Why not have it built by FLAG, there's no reason explained why it was closed down, or any good story reason to tell it like that.

2.) At the beginning of the movie, Graiman escapes his home and starts running through the forest. After this scene many things happen, it's daylight, KITT and Sarah drive for HOURS to Vegas. Then suddenly CUT BACK TO CHARLES RUNNING THROUGH THE FOREST IN THE DARK!! Damn! He must be tired!

If this was supposed to be a flashback, poorly edited.

3.) WHY DOES SARAH START SHOOTING A MACHINE GUN AT THE CAR WITH HER DAD IN IT!? WHY DOES MIKE DECIDE IT'S SMART TO LET THE CAR SMASH INTO KITT AND RISK CHARLES' LIFE??

Aside from these things (feel free to list your own) there were several problems with the film. I liked it a lot but here's my list of grievances.

1.) KITT did nothing interesting, at all.
2.) The not being armored when the computer is off is ridiculous. This is a step backwards from the Knight 2000.
3.) The writing was terrible. "It certainly didn't come from the dealership!"
4.) None of KITT's features were used. I don't count GPS and Internet as features. My laptop in a car can do that. I don't count the color changing either, the effect was terrible, and no one WANTS to see KITT looking like a regular car. Pointless! Knight Rider 2000 pulled this off much better showing the features of the Knight 4000.
5.) Attack mode.... what? KITT didn't attack ANYTHING. It's a SPOILER! And it just appears out of thin air. At least in the show "VIPER" the car transforming looked plausible somehow. This with the spoiler "growing" out of nothing makes no sense, and looks terribly fake.

Make the car do something cool, and stop making KITT talk like a robot. KITT is supposed to sound human. It's ok to let him use contractions, ok?

Sorry I'm done now. :)

Trekie386
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: BIGGEST PLOT HOLES!

Post by Trekie386 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:57 pm

KWO wrote:Ok seriously, this stuff is messed. I hope this was only overlooked because of the writers strike, and not because the writer is no good.

1.) HOW DID CHARLES GRAIMAN AFFORD TO BUILD THE KNIGHT 3000?? WHY EVEN BUILD IT AT ALL?

Seriously, he just got bored and built it in his garage? I guess we can assume the FBI was involved? But why? It makes no sense at all. This was poorly done. Why not have it built by FLAG, there's no reason explained why it was closed down, or any good story reason to tell it like that.

2.) At the beginning of the movie, Graiman escapes his home and starts running through the forest. After this scene many things happen, it's daylight, KITT and Sarah drive for HOURS to Vegas. Then suddenly CUT BACK TO CHARLES RUNNING THROUGH THE FOREST IN THE DARK!! Damn! He must be tired!

3.) WHY DOES SARAH START SHOOTING A MACHINE GUN AT THE CAR WITH HER DAD IN IT!? WHY DOES MIKE DECIDE IT'S SMART TO LET THE CAR SMASH INTO KITT AND RISK CHARLES' LIFE??

Aside from these things (feel free to list your own) there were several problems with the film. I liked it a lot but here's my list of grievances.

2.) The not being armored when the computer is off is ridiculous. This is a step backwards from the Knight 2000.
4.) None of KITT's features were used. I don't count GPS and Internet as features. My laptop in a car can do that. I don't count the color changing either, the effect was terrible, and no one WANTS to see KITT looking like a regular car. Pointless! Knight Rider 2000 pulled this off much better showing the features of the Knight 4000.
5.) Attack mode.... what? KITT didn't attack ANYTHING. It's a SPOILER! And it just appears out of thin air. At least in the show "VIPER" the car transforming looked plausible somehow. This with the spoiler "growing" out of nothing makes no sense, and looks terribly fake.

Make the car do something cool, and stop making KITT talk like a robot. KITT is supposed to sound human. It's ok to let him use contractions, ok?

(1) Charles built it because he is rich. Didn't you catch the part about Sarah trasferring $90,000 to save Mike's friend's life? If Sarah has that kind of cash laying around, then her father is probably loaded. Why did he build it in his garage? Maybe he's nuts to keep it there.

(2)It was a flashback of sorts. He didn't run that far, nor did he run all night and the next day. What really threw me is he had to break into Jenny's house (he broke a window) then checked the fridge (which appeared EMPTY) and then we find Jenny. Why didn't she just see who was coming and let him in?

(3) I think she was trying to kill the driver, not her father, although that wouldn't be a good idea in a moving car. I'm not sure why Mike was being an idiot and risking her father's life, but he's lucky it worked out or that would have been a double funeral at the end.

As to the car...

1) You got that right.
2) Again, you hit another plot hole that is bugging me.
3) My 10 year old can write better lines.
4) The car had features? Where? Super speed? Yippie skippie do. Cars at the Daytona 500 drive fast too. I'm not impressed. Color change? Big whoop. Still not impressed. Nano-morph? Is KITT related to ODO on DS-9 now? Odo could morph too. Definately not impressed.
5) Attack mode. LOLOLOL. The replicators on Star Trek made stuff appear out of thin air. Yawn. Try something original, please.

and here is a bonus...

Where are the cool sound effects? No scanner sounds, no turbine engine, not fancy start-up tones, nothing. Not even a com-link. Instead, we get ... wait for it.... bluetooth. Hello? Everyone has bluetooth. I loved the comlink. better than walking around with something in your ear and looking like the robot on Star Wars in Cloud City. :roll:

Give me a Turbo Boost, Ski Mode, MBS, and a Boston accent in a wisecracking car anyday. This show needs a LOT of work.

~Beth C

Radicalas
Operative

Post by Radicalas » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:30 am

KITT has been deactivated. When KITT was shot (his left mirror has been broken), Mike asked why he isn't bulletproof, Sarah answered, that when KITT is deactivated, he can't heal itself. And in the later scene KITT has that left mirror back in it's place, while KITT still has been deactivated.

Knight316
Operative

Post by Knight316 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:42 am

I think the thinking with the SUV was the lesser of two evils. The hope is that he'll be able to survive the crash in tact but if something were to happen and he died along with the other men, he dies for a cause. Saving the world basically. If they would've gotten the excryption done on KITT or the codes for the computer files, they could start a nuclear war adn they'd all be dead. I would think that Charles would rather give his life and save the world. That's the way i took it anyway. As for the flashback or running at night...it oculd be that he's in a different time zone than Mike/Sarah are at that point in time. That's just a shot in the dark though.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:07 am

Not really a plot hole, but a flub... After that crash the FBI shows up, arriving ahead of them and Carrie is there too. Either they found a very nifty shortcut or for some reason the director wasn't paying well enough attention..
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Drake
Operative

Post by Drake » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:29 am

See they're keeping up with the original series on plotholes already. :mrgreen:
The Kenner Knight 2000 Voice Car. One toy can make a difference.........

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:43 am

True, but in this day and age things like that shouldn't be overlooked.

There was also an issue with spelling errors on KITT's interface. But eh, not really noticeable unless you went and paused to check out the VM/Screen or were paying really close attention.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

HanzenRider
Volunteer

Post by HanzenRider » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:51 am

Drake: Amen to that!

Why complain about plot holes in the new knight rider when the Original has plenty of em. I saw one of the biggest mistake they made with the Trans-Am. In the beginning of the 3rd season, they showed Kitt's one screen dash at a small clip before Kitt was shot at with a missle and then Bonnie fixed him with a new dash. Also, KITT's first encounter with KARR in the first season, what car was that went over the cliff after KITT and KARR played chicken? I merely laugh at their mistakes, but I dont complain about it. At least they're making the effort to produce KNIGHT RIDER.

You all dont know me and Im a new member on this board but I've been a die-hard fan since the age of 3 in which im 28 now. I mostly just read this forum, I dont comment much. But, boy, I have to admit, on this board, I've never seen so much complaints than any other boards that I read on. There are some things that I dont like about the New Knight Rider but I say nothing about it because I do want them to bring it into a series. I miss Knight Rider. I prefer to give support rather than complain and hope they improve on their work.

Just my .02,

HanzenRider
:kitt:
:kitt2:
HanzenRider

Drake
Operative

Post by Drake » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:10 pm

I'de love to see the complaining comments after KR2000 aired. That would be priceless.
The Kenner Knight 2000 Voice Car. One toy can make a difference.........

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:30 pm

If the internet was as widely used then as it is now... :shock: It would have been a hundred times worse.

The internet has brought "us" together so instead of being a handful of people in a tiny group where no one outside the group would be a part of the conversation, there's now forums for everyone to piss and moan about everything and anything.

Deferranfan1
Operative

Post by Deferranfan1 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:34 am

KWO wrote:Ok seriously, this stuff is messed. I hope this was only overlooked because of the writers strike, and not because the writer is no good.

Just to put to rest the turbo part. You won't hear a turbo cause that model mustang is supercharged and you do hear the wine of the supercharger. But I do like the old exhaust sound better.
K.A.R.R. STILL LIVES
:kittspin:

::Jon::
Recruit

Post by ::Jon:: » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:24 am

The biggest question going through my mind...
When did Michael father this child (Mike).

KITT showed Mike driver's licence - which revealed his birthday Jun 10th 1983 (Guess that makes him 24).
Subtract 9 months - you get September 1982, which IIRC puts that at about the time Michael Long was shot in the face (give or take).

And remember, Michael Long was engaged to Stevie, so if it was just before the head shot, Michael Knight was cheating (can't imagine that). If it was after the head-shot, he got over Stevie pretty quick, and didn't know Jenny that long. But then, think about it, he did have the ultimate chick-magnet of a car.

That aside... I loved this show.
Always have - always will.
Bring on seasons 1 to 7.
:kittconv:

Darknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Darknight » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:30 am

KITT had a turbine, not a turbo. The high pitched whining sound was a result of that.

I was disappointed with no references to any turbine, and in fact, the lack of that technology leaves the new KITT reliant much more on an ordinary internal combustion engine. I heard the part about being partially "solar powered," but let's face it, there is only so much surface area on the car, and only so much efficiency in today's solar panels. Even if KITT were completely covered in solar panels that were 100% efficient, and the sun shone around the clock, KITT could never begin to generate enough electricity to approach the 140 or so mpg equivalent, especially on such a large, non-aerodyamic vehicle.

I want to like KITT, but so much of this new incarnation is either unimaginable or poorly sold. There was also some fantasy-land technomagination in the original series, but 1) they sold it better and 2) most of the core technology was at least concievable. I can better see a turbine as creating high power and efficiency than this solar idea, and a permanent MBS is far more plausible than whatever that protective CPU-controlled regenerative grid was. Just my $.02, though.

[/quote]
Just to put to rest the turbo part. You won't hear a turbo cause that model mustang is supercharged and you do hear the wine of the supercharger. But I do like the old exhaust sound better.[/quote]

Haley
Volunteer

Post by Haley » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:37 pm

Drake wrote:See they're keeping up with the original series on plotholes already. :mrgreen:
No, they'd need about 10,000 more to keep up :D

Not really a plot hole, but just all-wrong, I thought that the reunion scene outside the motel was bad. Remember, everyone hugging for a few minutes giving the bad guys plenty of time to sneak up. Then a few minutes later, three of the bad guys take off, leaving only two to kill Mike, Kate and the FBI agent. It was almost like in the old Batman TV series, when they left Batman and Robin to die unattended or underattended.

davejames
Rookie

Post by davejames » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:55 pm

Keeping it to just plot holes:

-- On the campus, how do the Blackriver guys let Sara get away from them just because KITT pulls up? In fact, it almost looks like they push her into the path of the car! I didn't get that scene at all.

-- As fast as KITT is, why is the SUV hot on their trail all the way from Stanford into the mountains? Shouldn't KITT have left them in the dust at the very start?

-- Why does Mike's mom need to go as far as putting the shotgun to Charles' head? Considering the fact they're neighbors and close friends, shouldn't she recognize that big white hair of his? Not to mention the fact all he's doing is sitting in a freakin chair. LOL

-- Why didn't Charles just escape the house in KITT? The car was clearly activated and ready to go.

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:15 pm

The thing I noticed right away was the mirrors coming and going in the chase scene. I think it happened a number of times. I hope they can fix it for the DVD. I think they just ran out of time in post.

But yes what about Charels Grainman running all day long. Flash back or not the next we see him he is at the hotel and calling Sarah a night later than when he first started running. Was he running all night and the next day to their house that Mike says is a few miles away or did they drive all day to the hotel that is only a shot distance from the house? Also if KITT was headed to the Grainman house when Charles calls why did he need to make a complete U turn to then go to the hotel, wouldn’t they be in the same direction? I only started wondering about all this on my 10th or so time watching so I’ll let it slide.
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

PaoloM
Recruit

Post by PaoloM » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:15 pm

Deferranfan1 wrote:Just to put to rest the turbo part. You won't hear a turbo cause that model mustang is supercharged and you do hear the wine of the supercharger. But I do like the old exhaust sound better.
And that is very sad. Product placement should not interfere with artistic choices. Guys, I am not whining but the old KITT was more believable as "the car of the future": the sounds (engine and scanner), the lights, the behaviour. Everything. The new KITT is just a fast Mustang (in my opinion). The mystic is gone.