THEME song just horrible!

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

KITT3000
Volunteer

THEME song just horrible!

Post by KITT3000 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:31 pm

Unbelievable! It's such garbage. GLEN LARSON probably had no clue what he got into doing this. He should just promote KNIGHT RIDER original and stick with that.

He had something to do with this theme song? what the first 5 seconds.

Why do these fools have to make it such futureistic. Just keep it simple and just more enhanced.

Luis
Rookie

Re: THEME song just horrible!

Post by Luis » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:34 pm

What the hell are you doing here? Can't you go complain somewhere else? It's like the 4th topic you post with some bombastic subject.

DrWho2005
Operative

Post by DrWho2005 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:00 pm

KITT3000 wrote:Unbelievable! It's such garbage. GLEN LARSON probably had no clue what he got into doing this. He should just promote KNIGHT RIDER original and stick with that.

Why do these fools have to make it such futureistic. Just keep it simple and just more enhanced.
I felt all emotional when it started at the end..i thought it was gonna be the old theme...but then that yucky version kicked in :(

goldbug
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by goldbug » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:12 pm

I loved it. It had some synth influence from the original and even used the lead in from the original. However, musical tastes vary from person to person so of course there will be those who don't like it. Personally I wish I could get a clear MP3 of the whole thing to put on my iPod for workouts! :)
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

KamenRider
Recruit

Post by KamenRider » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:19 pm

I liked it mostly, but it loses something when it deviates from the original to this totally unrelated hook. The first half of the theme works better because it's the original with a ton of oomph! Kind of like how the new Doctor Who theme has all the coolness of the old series but it's just taken to a new level with a fuller sound.

borez
Stranger

Post by borez » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:20 pm

Totally agreed.

Duster
Rookie

Post by Duster » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:00 pm

I loved the new theme song. Granted, the middle part is kinda... well I miss the melody ;) But at the end it's really cool again. Overall I do like it!

spto
Volunteer

Post by spto » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:28 pm

I liked the beginning but that's it. Why can't they use the original theme? It fits the show perfectly. I also wish they would've done an update to the original opening as well with the desert and everything.

Drake
Operative

Post by Drake » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:20 pm

KITT3000 wrote:Unbelievable! It's such garbage. GLEN LARSON probably had no clue what he got into doing this. He should just promote KNIGHT RIDER original and stick with that.

Go make your own show so we can criticize it for you.
The Kenner Knight 2000 Voice Car. One toy can make a difference.........

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:38 am

I don't think the theme is garbage at all - but I'm not in love with it. I like the beginning, I dig the guitar, I just wish they brought it back to the original by the end. It needed a little more nodding to the original at the end.

Also, I wonder how many times we'll actually see this in the series - many shows these days don't have opening credits - it's just a waste of air time to them.

Valdez
Rookie

Post by Valdez » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:53 pm

I don't even think Glen Larson was involved directly with this production, from what I've been told and read. He's only listed as the executive producer because he created the show, he holds the actual movie rights I believe. If someone has different information, please feel free to correct me. Regardless, the theme song was not that bad and I liked it, you seem to want to make and join topics just to flame and troll.
~The Monster's Loose....:karr:

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:03 pm

He had no clue because he has nothing to do with the television production. He is concentrating on making a major motion picture remake of the Pilot episode of the original series, "Knight Of the Phoenix." It would be wise to get your facts straight before making flaming posts.
KITT3000 wrote:Why do these fools have to make it such futureistic. Just keep it simple and just more enhanced.

You're entitled to your opinion. I loved the guitar riffs and even the new melody that was added. My only criticism is that I felt it was a bit too short, but that's because of the television trend of cutting down opening credit sequences or not even having them at all due to excessive commercials. The theme song to me is basically a reflection of the entire production. They took bits and pieces from the original to pay homage, then took over with their own melody. Same formula with the style of the movie itself.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Deferranfan1
Operative

Post by Deferranfan1 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:25 am

Total crap if you ask me.
K.A.R.R. STILL LIVES
:kittspin:

David
Rookie

Post by David » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:03 am

I have christened the new badly rocked-up theme "Smells Like Knight Rider." I pretty much hated it.

While the original theme still manages to sound cool after 25 years to pretty much everyone (including non KR fans) not to mention remaining influential to other musicians, this one sounds like any number of *?$# post Limp Bizkit televisual themes cranked out by session musos eager to play some "rad" guitar.

Totally forgettable.

I wanted an all new modernised version of the classic theme that actually built on its considerable stengths.

What we got instead was something that belonged in the opening credits of a show called "Knight Rider Xtreme!" ("One totally awesome dude can like totally make a difference, dude.")

AND WHERE WAS THE SCORE DURING THE SHOW?!

All we got was more generic modern rock crap and a bunch of wishy washy bilge for the emotional scenes. Pretty inappropriate for a sci-fi action adventure series, imo.

Niggle Snoosh
Operative

Post by Niggle Snoosh » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:54 pm

I like the theme song myself, i also like the decision to make an original version that pays homage to it's predessor but still sounds like its own theme. I know its a bit unassuming after the intro but for some reason it works for me.

I am quite happy to have seen the original theme rehashed as a rock incarnation, i felt it suited the feel of the show an new sequence quite well but also wan't added/mixed into hip/hop of dance/techno tracks like it usually is.
Michael: "Devon, someone tried to kill me last night!"
Devon: "I have an alibi"

David
Rookie

Post by David » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:15 pm

How many of you are still humming the new theme a week after seeing the new pilot? Not many I'll bet. After all, it's pretty hard to hum something you can't even remember in the first place.

The most important quality of any TV theme is that it be memorable. This wasn't.

Niggle Snoosh
Operative

Post by Niggle Snoosh » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:27 pm

David wrote:How many of you are still humming the new theme a week after seeing the new pilot? Not many I'll bet. After all, it's pretty hard to hum something you can't even remember in the first place.

The most important quality of any TV theme is that it be memorable. This wasn't.
Thats a fair point, i guess it doesn't bother me so much as i'd just think of the original series theme anyway

I think the main thing i took from the new theme is that i didn't hate it and thats good enough for me :)
Michael: "Devon, someone tried to kill me last night!"
Devon: "I have an alibi"

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:28 pm

David wrote:How many of you are still humming the new theme a week after seeing the new pilot? Not many I'll bet. After all, it's pretty hard to hum something you can't even remember in the first place.

That'd be me. It's the guitar in the beginning that's my favorite part. Makes the theme "rough around the edges," so to speak.

In all fairness to the new theme, even the original theme was inspired by a German piece of music. This new theme was inspired from the original theme. The more time goes by, the harder it is to impress audiences and especially to come up with a revolutionary theme that's ahead of its time. The original theme struck gold as did the show itself by combining a few unconventional ideas and making them work. I'm sure it would be a challenge for even Glen Larson and Stu Phillips to make lightning strike the same place again.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

FX23
Operative

Post by FX23 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:33 pm

the new theme tune is ace!

Knight6000
Recruit

Post by Knight6000 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:33 pm

I totally disagree with you.

I personally like the new theme,but to each his own.

Wizster
FLAG Recruit

Post by Wizster » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:56 pm

It was great to start with, linking in with KI3T speeding into view, with a modern take on the original, there's the middle section with the original beats still present then becomes something else, with which I agree with a previous poster on that it sounds like something else, but I am unable to place it.

Charlie Brown
Recruit

Post by Charlie Brown » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:11 pm

spto wrote:I also wish they would've done an update to the original opening as well with the desert and everything.
(Sorry I'm off topic) Although the opening is missing that desert theme, a few of the shots from the scenes of KI3T and Sarah's drive to Las Vegas pay homage to the old series. There's one shot in particular that made me bounce up and down in my seat:

It's the first shot after a commercial break (or fade-in if you are watching it online): The camera is in the air looking down a long paved road. KI3T is in the distance (with Sarah as passenger), driving directly at, then underneath, the camera. It looks nearly identical to the first shot of the original series' opening.

Knight6000
Recruit

Post by Knight6000 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:17 pm

Yea I noticed that shot as well and I got very giddy.