POLL: Grade the pilot

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

What did you think of the pilot?

I loved it!
22%
I enjoyed it, but could have been better.
27%
It was okay, but had a lot of problems.
7%
I didn't like it at all.
4%
I didn't watch it.
0%
Make it into a series with minimal changes.
25%
Make it into a series, but with major changes.
11%
Don't make it into a series.
4%

Total votes: 299

89IROCNDoug
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: POLL: Grade the pilot

Post by 89IROCNDoug » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:13 am

It was OK. It had plenty of problems, but was definitely better than KR2000.

I'm mad that they didn't have any really cool burnouts. KITT 2000 had much better burnouts in the original pilot than what KITT 3000 had in this movie!!! The builder of the Mustang KITT even complained about how there weren't really any muscle cars in the 80s, yet guess what? The '82 T/A performed much more like a muscle car than the Mustang! Talk about LAME!!!!! At least the Mustang looked fast at times - I'll give it that.

As a whole I give the show a C grade or a 6 on a scale of 1 to 10. I would like it to go to series.
One man did make a difference.

AzBat360
Recruit

Post by AzBat360 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:16 am

It's good to see that the poll shows that the the very vocal whiners & haters are in the minority. ;) Hopefully this will show NBC that the time is right for another Knight Rider series.

AzBat360

poilala
Volunteer

Post by poilala » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:17 am

Well I think we kinda all want to see it as a series, not because it's good but because it's Knight Rider.

Duster
Rookie

Post by Duster » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:11 am

I voted for "I love it" and "make it into a series with minimal changes". It's true, I loved the movie. It was easy entertainment, just like the original Knight Rider was.
I don't mind that KITT didn't show too much of his skills. That's what the producers said the whole time. If it becomes a series, we will discover more and more of KITT's gadgets.
People complaining about KIIT's personality, watch the original pilot again. I bet KITT will change the longer he works together with Mike.
The look and feel of the show was great. I just can hope NBC gives it a real chance and turns it into a series.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:59 am

Well, I loved it. Bought back the original theme in a new remixed way, the car is black, it's KITT (albeit a new version), there are mentions of the original TA, the hoff was in it etc.

It had everything a KR fan could want except to have the TA back in it's true form but that's not going to happen unless he makes a cameo somewhere down the line.

They got it right this time.

The ending was totally old school and I can clear up the confusion about the plane. They were not in the USA, they were in Peru and were being transported to another country...that's what the plane was for.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Duster
Rookie

Post by Duster » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:47 am

Right! It seems to me nobody got this. And having a plane allows the show to set some stories in different locations all over the world. To what extent they would use this is partly up to the budget of cource. But all in all this could be another cool story element.

Knight316
Operative

Post by Knight316 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:43 am

I didn't like Mike's friend's involvement at all, he doesn't fit anywhere. Just because they're friends doesn't mean he has anything to contribute
Amen to that! If this goes to series he's the first thing that's gotta go! He just annoys me for some reason.

Ranger
Stranger

Post by Ranger » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:05 pm

I thought that this pilot episode of Night Rider was good, but the series will need work if it happens. I read an article that said the producers of this pilot watched every episode of the origional series and decided not to use the "Turbo Boost" because it looked too fake. I think this ability is one of the main features that made the original series so great. What is more exciting than a cool car? A cool car flying through the air!!! This new KITT with the ability to Morph and Repair damage from bullets and getting smashed into by large SUVs is set up perfect for being able to turbo boost. If damage is sustained in the landing it can repair itself instantly. Turbo Boost can take this series to the next level. The Mustang needs to fly in season one when and if it happens. I give the pilot a 7 out of 10. :kitt2:

acor
Volunteer

Post by acor » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:32 pm

I liked it a lot! 8/10

This could be the base of a very good series.

GTiGirl
Rookie

Post by GTiGirl » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:51 pm

I really liked the pilot, it had action, color and "style". So i think the conditions are the best to go on with the series. I'm hopping to see it soon. It seems to me that the legend returned to stay with us!

Regards to you all and keep up the good work here in the Fórum!
Knight Rider Portugal: http://knightriderportugal.forumeiros.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KnightLady
Operative

Post by KnightLady » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:23 pm

I voted, I enjoyed it, but it could've been much better. They really didn't explain things real well. Like, for instance, Mike's mother. They really didn't explain her too well. I mean, in one of the other threads everyone is trying to figure out which Jennifer she is. Jennifer Knight or Jennifer from one of the other episodes. Anyway, I think that is a hole the writer's didn't too well on. And Val's voice. I enjoy Val as an actor, but I wasn't too impressed with him being the voice of KITT. And no turbo boost, no fancy stunts, or burnouts. Just a lot of driving. And finally, the Hoff could've had a bigger role. :(

INDYGIRL
Volunteer

Post by INDYGIRL » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:33 pm

There was one scene that I could've done without, other than that I thought the movie was pretty good.

JimmyPSHayes
Operative

Post by JimmyPSHayes » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:13 pm

I loved and can't wait for it to be a series!!! I have to jump on the "loose the chump friend" bandwagon. Just can't imagine him doing anything else in the series besides getting kidnapped.

LadyV2000
FLAG Assistant

Post by LadyV2000 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:22 pm

Skav wrote: The ending was totally old school and I can clear up the confusion about the plane. They were not in the USA, they were in Peru and were being transported to another country...that's what the plane was for.
Seriously? Wow, I completely missed all this. I feel a bit more reassured now that the plane hopefully won't be the only form of a mobile base. I really want to see the semi again. :D
Flyer Guy: "You really a talking car?"
KITT: "No. I'm a tight end for the Chicago Bears!"

killem2
Recruit

Post by killem2 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:01 am

I will say I really enjoyed this pilot. And I'll say I am a very avid fan of the 80s version to the core. When I heard they were using a mustang I was shocked. I read a little more into it and I understand somewhat. Personally I would have used a Vette if I didn't have access to a new trans-am. I also think the last run of the Trans Am could have been just fine for the show and I doubt anyone would have cared.

The reasons why this show has redeemed it self for me is:

1. They kept K.I.T.T's attitude. His demeanor. His intellectual kindness.
2. They referenced back many times to the old show. From the beginning with the older parts to original car, the theme song is relatively unchanged, and they did a find job of closing at the end with Hasslehoff making an appearance.

It is very clear that the writers are fans and understand the fan based. A lot of these fans and poster have to understand that it can't be the same show. Not everyone was born in 1975-1981. Its sort of like watching smallville and wanting it to be like the old superman movies. It just can't happen and survive as a series. Maybe one day Pontiac will bring back the trans-am, the writers can ditch ford, write a destruction for the car and then rebuild it.

We can only hope until then I am going to watch this show quite often, and I think a lot of you 80's KR fans should get a grip and embrace a true masterpiece in the making here.

killem2
Recruit

Post by killem2 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:02 am

KnightLady wrote:I voted, I enjoyed it, but it could've been much better. They really didn't explain things real well. Like, for instance, Mike's mother. They really didn't explain her too well. I mean, in one of the other threads everyone is trying to figure out which Jennifer she is. Jennifer Knight or Jennifer from one of the other episodes. Anyway, I think that is a hole the writer's didn't too well on. And Val's voice. I enjoy Val as an actor, but I wasn't too impressed with him being the voice of KITT. And no turbo boost, no fancy stunts, or burnouts. Just a lot of driving. And finally, the Hoff could've had a bigger role. :(
Personally I think its to early to call out everything that's missing IMO. KI3K, was in developement stages and they made that clear when he got hacked by a peon. I think he'll have more to show.

killem2
Recruit

Post by killem2 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:04 am

Knight316 wrote:
I didn't like Mike's friend's involvement at all, he doesn't fit anywhere. Just because they're friends doesn't mean he has anything to contribute
Amen to that! If this goes to series he's the first thing that's gotta go! He just annoys me for some reason.

he is the RC element imo.

killem2
Recruit

Post by killem2 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:05 am

89IROCNDoug wrote:It was OK. It had plenty of problems, but was definitely better than KR2000.

I'm mad that they didn't have any really cool burnouts. KITT 2000 had much better burnouts in the original pilot than what KITT 3000 had in this movie!!! The builder of the Mustang KITT even complained about how there weren't really any muscle cars in the 80s, yet guess what? The '82 T/A performed much more like a muscle car than the Mustang! Talk about LAME!!!!! At least the Mustang looked fast at times - I'll give it that.

As a whole I give the show a C grade or a 6 on a scale of 1 to 10. I would like it to go to series.

Don't forget they didn't choose the mustang because they thought it was better. It's all they could use. I think it could be challanged with a 2002 transam but never the less...

killem2
Recruit

Post by killem2 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:06 am

99transamgirl wrote:i didn't like it b/c I don't like KITT being a mustang and his name being KITT still. my opinion though. it's funny how most people on this site like the movie but on knight registries a lot didn't.

Would you rather he be called KITT with 2000 in the name? Some people I swear.

killem2
Recruit

Post by killem2 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:08 am

GN_WS6 wrote:Hated it. Don't make a series out of it and take the tape and throw in in the trash compacter. (Sorry Hoff) :? :kitt:

Sorry but from your avatar to post to signature I can tell all ready you probably shouldn't even bother trying to post again.

Comtap
Stranger

Post by Comtap » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:21 pm

I liked it but the acting needs to improve. and what the hell was Michael's old mechanic doing working on kitt at the end that was stupid.

Niggle Snoosh
Operative

Post by Niggle Snoosh » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:46 pm

Comtap wrote:I liked it but the acting needs to improve. and what the hell was Michael's old mechanic doing working on kitt at the end that was stupid.
Yeah i have to agree, i thought he was quite a likeable character from what we saw but KI3T surely needs someone better than an ordinary mechanic.
Michael: "Devon, someone tried to kill me last night!"
Devon: "I have an alibi"

Haley
Volunteer

Post by Haley » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:51 pm

I think that we can all agree that it was the best we've seen since the TV series went off the air. :(

I also think that the producers had purposefuly created characters with some flaws to give them a chance to grow through the series. For example, Mike has alread gone from someone in serious troble to taking on a responsibility and making mends with his mother.

The one scene that was kind of silly was outside the motel, where they're spending like ten minutes hugging and reuniting, while the bad guys are 20 feet away. I kept yelling at the TV, common, get in the car alreday!!!

300mph/SPM
Volunteer

Post by 300mph/SPM » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:05 pm

The series is welcome but hopefully they make it more Knight Rider than the new backdoor pilot was.

Niggle Snoosh
Operative

Post by Niggle Snoosh » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:15 pm

300mph/SPM wrote:The series is welcome but hopefully they make it more Knight Rider than the new backdoor pilot was.
Hopefully but then again i think the last scene in the plane screams classic(ish) KR to me :)
Michael: "Devon, someone tried to kill me last night!"
Devon: "I have an alibi"