NBC Target Ratings Expectations?

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

NBC Target Ratings Expectations?

Post by Lost Knight » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:10 am

I was just wondering if NBC has a target amount of viewers for the new Knight Rider production. And if they do, what is the actual number of viewers the telepic will need to hit in order to be picked up for a series? Or is there even a set number at all? If I had to take a guess, I'll predict that there will be about 9-10 million viewers.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

knightprobe89
FLAG Recruit

Re: NBC Target Ratings Expectations?

Post by knightprobe89 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:26 am

9 or 10 million thats a low end number. when bionic woman made its debut it had about 14 million people. i'm going to say that knight rider will do better than 14 million for the premier, especially with the large amount of publicity it has gotten. i'm wiiling to bet the movie will be in the top 10 rated shows of the week on the neilsens ratings.
in glen larson we trust.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:33 am

It should certainly win its time slot(s) and with how little new TV right now, it really should win the week or at the very least, be in the top five. I'm sure public reaction to it will also be very important.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:47 am

Just a thought do shows in get as many viewers in the states as say it would 25 years ago?

!982 in the uk you had 4 tv channel's that was it, I would guess the states had many channels even in 82, but with the change of viewing habbits, ie. wactching shows on the net, does this afect figures these days??

Knight316
Operative

Post by Knight316 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:04 am

Does anyone know what the ratings were for KR2000? I hope that it gets better ratings than that did with all the promotion going on for it. I barely remember seeing one commercial for KR2000 before it aired.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:05 pm

Well, all that really matters is if the Neilsen families watch. I'm not sure on KR2000's ratings but I do know it was one of the highest rated shows for the week.

The big difference from 25 or even 17 years ago is that of course these days with many more people having cable, satellite, access to a near infinite number of movies and of course videogames there's so many more options now that can take away the key demographic that networks are looking for. There's also DVR which I think only started to be taken into consideration not too long ago, sure there's the similar VCR effect but at least now it's accounted for, at least in some part. It'll certainly affects ratings, but even still if people want to see something, they will and hopefully NBC takes all methods into consideration.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Kitzira
Operative

Post by Kitzira » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:16 pm

Does anyone actually know a person/family with a Nielson box or diary? There's alotta ppl here, who know alotta other people. I've never known a person to participate in the ratings & it's not like you can request to participate either.
Read KR Fanfiction and Post your own at http://www.knightfic.com

knightprobe89
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightprobe89 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:55 am

Knight316 wrote:Does anyone know what the ratings were for KR2000? I hope that it gets better ratings than that did with all the promotion going on for it. I barely remember seeing one commercial for KR2000 before it aired.
knight rider 2000 came in at number 4 of the top 10 rated shows for the week it aired, it premiered on may 19th of 1991 during may sweeps.
Last edited by knightprobe89 on Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
in glen larson we trust.

kitt1987
Recruit

Post by kitt1987 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:56 am

Actually KR2000 did surprisingly well in the ratings and I do remember quite a few promos for it before it ran so a lot of people knew it was coming out. I kept all of the old print/stories from TV Guide, the local paper, and other associated magazines about the show including the ratings for the week it was out and it was #4 for the week.
NBC was really anticipating making that into a series as well and the only reason I can find for it not becoming one is based on the reviews after the fact. Nobody liked that atrocity. It rated higher than expected but the movie itself was one big turd.
I definately have higher hopes for this new one and wish the immature would grow up a bit and quit whining about not using an outdated Trans Am or a concept Camaro. Who seriously cares? It looks like the producers/writers/everyone involved with this knows about the fan base and they're working to make it a modern day action series. I hope it succeeds. It'll give me something fun to watch once in a while! Sit back and enjoy...that's what tv's supposed to be for...right?

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:18 am

Looks like that rating for KR2000 tells how famous and well known franchise Knight Rider is and how it attracts a lot of peoples attention :D

LadyV2000
FLAG Assistant

Post by LadyV2000 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:44 am

Kitzira wrote:Does anyone actually know a person/family with a Nielson box or diary? There's alotta ppl here, who know alotta other people. I've never known a person to participate in the ratings & it's not like you can request to participate either.
Yeah, my friend's got Nielson boxes attached to all the TVs in her house. It was completely random that they contacted her family. When they installed the boxes, they also gave them a couple new TVs that were compatible with them. Kinda cool.
Flyer Guy: "You really a talking car?"
KITT: "No. I'm a tight end for the Chicago Bears!"

knightendo_phil
Rookie

Post by knightendo_phil » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:29 am

It's strange, Buffy was advertised as a smash hit yet it managed relatively low ratings, with about 3 or 4 million. Guess it was high for the network it was on.

KR2000, according to The Hoff's book, was never going to be turned into a weekly series. Originally envisioned as three seperate tele-movies of the further adventures of Michael and KITT they took it upon themselves to totally change the concept. If the three movies proved popular who knew what would happen. As it turned out, audience appreciation was so low that the two films never even came about. The Hoff had already signed on when everything was changed, and he HATED that movie the way it turned out.

KR2010 also scored extremely well ratings-wise. A lot of pilots called "The Action Pack" were produced and KR2010 was the highest rated out of them all, but just like KR2000 the appreciation figures were extremely low, and so a series was never produced. In the end only one series came out of all those movies - Hercules.
"I got better things to do tonight than die."

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:25 am

So, how did we do? Does anybody know the actual number of viewers yet, or is it too early to get the data? All of my questions here are still unanswered so far.

What's the actual amount of ratings NBC requires in order for the telepic to get picked up as a series? Is there a cut-off point at, say, 8 or 9 million viewers, for example?

justinbrueningnet
Operative

Post by justinbrueningnet » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:08 pm

This is the data I found on an IMDB thread....

9:00 p.m.

NBC – Movie: Knight Rider
Viewers: 12.35 million (#2), A18-49: 4.8/11 (#1)

---------------

9:30 p.m.

Viewers: 12.61 million (#2), A18-49: 4.9/11 (#2)

---------------

10:00 p.m.

Viewers: 12.75 million (#1), A18-49: 5.0/12 (#1)

---------------

10:30 p.m.

Viewers: 13.12 million (#1), A18-49: 5.2/13 (#1)

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:27 pm

Of that's the correct ratings data then I think that's very good. :D

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:32 pm

You never know with IMDb, but assuming the information is correct, a peak of 13 million viewers is pretty good. Unfortunately it doesn't come anywhere near polished turds like American Idol which averages 30 million viewers (that says a lot about the country), but that's to be expected. I'm confident the telepic achieved high enough ratings to get picked up. I wonder when we'll know for sure what NBC decides to do?