Making of Kitt vids on NBC Knight Rider site

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

ckeller22
Operative

Making of Kitt vids on NBC Knight Rider site

Post by ckeller22 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:35 pm

Interactive tour and several behind the scenes making of Kitt clips. http://www.nbc.com/Knight_Rider/Ford/

HungarianKnight
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Making of Kitt vids on NBC Knight Rider site

Post by HungarianKnight » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:08 am

I really like hte interactive dash. Reminds me of my compatriot László Ágoston's Dash-2-Flash. Bt the voice... Is it still Arnett? It sounds nothing like Val Kilmer.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:15 am

Thanks for the link ckeller!

The dash flash is interesting - but a bit lacking. The flash is also a bit of glitz but not much substance. From a usability perspective I would have liked a little more information about what I was doing there in regards to the "modes"

Music Of The Knight
Stranger

Post by Music Of The Knight » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:41 am

I agree with neps. The display itself is cool but it's a big departure from original KITT's dash to be sure. This isn't all that different than the displays we are seeing in newer cars these days.

And new KITT's "voice box"...it's a fancy version of a standard audio waveform you might seeing in audio editing software. They just colored it red and gave the waveform a ghosting type of look rather than the sharp audio peaks in normal audio. I automatically think of Knight Rider 2000 and the voice display that KIFT had. KIFT's display was more simplistic than this but was still a simple representation of an audio waveform. I know things aren't going to be the same as the original KITT, however, I would have like to see something a bit more original for KITT's voice display. Maybe it will grow on me... :roll:

I'd be willing to bet that the dash you're seeing on the interactive KITT will be what we see in the movie. I'm doubting the notion that they'll deck out the rest of the dash with CGI (other than maybe the HUD in the winshield).

And the voice on the interactive tour...still sounds a bit like KARR to me. Sounds like the same person that did the 30 second commercial before that many of us thought sounded like KARR.

HungarianKnight
FLAG Recruit

Post by HungarianKnight » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:05 am

Okay, people, geek alert, but I have to ask this:

What's the reason of installing a touchscreen as the main control interface for Kitt? If I would design an all-out vehicle which is bound for some gear-breakig action, I'd give it real switches. The reason? If the touchscreen malfunctions, you can't even start the engine. If one of the dozen swiches is fried, you can still access the other functions as they are independent from eachother.

Imagine a situation like Goliath: Kitt is pummeled to the dust yet Michael was still able to Turbo Boost him out of it, using the good old button to do it. I'd bet ten grands on that a touchscreen would break by such a collision like the Kitt VS Goliath. What would Mike Tracer do, call Sony or Panasonic for a spare?

Okay, that's geekdom and not TV, but still...

Duster
Rookie

Post by Duster » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:53 pm

In one video they show KITT morphing. But my guess is that this was only a cheap effect for that making of video since it is really poorly done - even the background 'morphs' a bit ;)