The New Series?!?!

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

shorto
Volunteer

The New Series?!?!

Post by shorto » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:15 pm

Hi!

Let me just say I'm as much for the new series as the next guy, but what the hell was NBC thinking putting a Ford for K.I.T.T. and further more what is up with K.I.I.T.'s voice? He sounds more like K.A.R.R. thank a nice guy ;).

And if the series actually starts does anybody know will David be in the episodes and how much? I believe he deserves as much since, he was the glue that made Knight Rider "stick" originally.

Anyways what does everybody else think about this new series? Personally I don't know if I'm gonna watch it since I'm afraid it might screw up my taste for the original one ;)

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Re: The New Series?!?!

Post by Kram061-1 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:29 pm

I'd like to see it work out, but it seems to be more of a CGI display than an action show, more, like a CSI in a Mustang. I hope, if the series lasts, they could bring in the Hoff as Devon's old part. Hopefully they don't do anything stupid like kill Michael Knight off in the pilot. It (the series) has potential, but I doubt it will work in the long run, because the original show was a true classic, and will be hard to follow up. The show was legend in it's time, in my opinion, and it was ended to early, as it could have been a movie of the week, maybe even with some form on 'international' missions in Europe and stuff, following it's cancellation, ala Chuck Norris: Texas Ranger. If this does go to a series, I wonder if they could make a cartoon or CGI DVD, as with Star Wars, and other movies, where they could have a tie in with the new show and the old show. I really don't mind the Mustang, or Val Kilmer as the voice, though I'd like to see some car jumps and the likes.

ckeller22
Operative

Post by ckeller22 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:44 pm

Once again out of what they had to work with and they wanted to appeal to the youth of today just like it did when we where kids they picked the best car. The Shelby when seen in person( I haven't seen the Shelby KR500 yet, I have seen the Shelby GT500 and it's got a lot of presence looks very dominating. People want to see things tough today with a lot of action, They don't want timed. The person who is filling the Devon shoes will be Charles who invented Kitt and is as in the scene going to resurrect the foundation. Michael Knight will probably have cameo roles if it goes to series. Not trying to jab at anybody but i wouldn't want to see him in a Devon role.Yes the CGI KR2000 modulator sucks,don't like it but gonna have to live with it. Sigh.....

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:56 pm

it was just a suggestion for the Hoff to take over for Devon, but either way he should have a semi-regular part in it if it becomes a series--he deserves it...................................

Smoke
Volunteer

Post by Smoke » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:32 pm

Good evening,

I have been reading all the complaints and general "Hate" about the new K.I.T.T., and how the new movie (and possible series) won't measure up, etc., etc. I have come to this conclusion:

If, after 20 years, your momma gave birth to a child (obviously twenty years younger than you), would you hate it? Would you complain about it even being around? Would you compare it to what you or others have accomplished in life? Or, would you accept it, learn to love it and hope it turns out better than you? This is a SEQUEL to try to continue the already established legacy. This is for YOUR enjoyment. It won't be there if you, your friends and your family don't sit your butts in from of your television sets and WATCH. So stop your hatin' and start participatin' in the new KNIGHT RIDER!
Where there is fire, there's SMOKE!

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:37 pm

*SIGH* You could've at least went and read one of the dozen topics covering this..... I'm too tired of explaining all this again, it's getting repetitive. Someone else can do it.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

ckeller22
Operative

Post by ckeller22 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:43 pm

Hi Smoke welcome to the board. I agree with you. I am very excited about this new Knight Rider. I think the Shelby will look great and from all the previews and interviews it looks like the cast and crew put they're hearts in to it. I have to admit though, I am human that i cannot say I like the modulator,its to low and the perfect spot would be between the gauge clusters on the dash..can't believe they missed that but they are human too.Not everybody is haters there are a lot looking forward to a revved up version of the new Knight Rider. Many are very passionate fans so they are nervous and cautious about it just like when your kid first gets on a bike without training wheels. We look forward to more posts.Thanks

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:04 pm

Yeah, even with the things that are bugging me such as certain design choices with the car's exterior/interior, Harald Belker certainly has rubbed me the wrong way and a bit of the business aspect that has me worried there's going to be a bit of overkill with pushing Ford's involvement, hopefully the final script wasn't in need of any major tweaks, but I think I'll let it slide if there's still a few bugs in it due to the situation, at least the casting looks good. :D Nothing that really has me hating it or can't be fixed in the future, it's not like the original had everything down in the pilot. I've tried at most opportunities when there's the "haters" coming here and elsewhere to try and remain civil (but it does get hard, I could probably try harder) to the ignorance regarding the new potential series. I'm very much looking forward to the new TV movie and the potential of a new series that carries on the original Knight Rider legacy and hopefully doesn't turn into another Knight Rider 2000, but at least by the look of things, that's not going to happen thankfully. On the flip side, if after watching it (maybe twice) if there's something I disliked I'll certainly be vocal or uhh textual (O_o) about it. But at least I'll try to balance it out with what I did like. So far the actual previews do look good, I'm not too worried about another Knight Rider 2000. Hopefully Hasselhoff gave them the advice of disregarding it, I know he's not exactly a fan of it either.

Wow, I'm way off topic now....

To stay on topic I might as well do what I didn't want to, but I'm not going to go too far in, this is an edit and I only have a few minutes left!

This K.I.T.T. As far as we know IS NOT the original, Knight Industries Two-Thousand in any way. It's the Knight Industries Three-Thousand, when it comes to car choices there weren't a lot of fitting choices these days, they're not going to use an old car that's not being made anymore nor would a GM/Pontiac give them permission to use any version of the Trans-Am and from what I've read GM pretty much passed on it, Ford was interested and contributed. Try to take off your anti-Ford fanboy goggles for a bit and look at the big picture. Look around and read the topics where people were complaining about the use of the Mustang. The Mustang was the best option that fit the criteria and could be used since again, GM didn't want to. Pontiac grew to seemingly HATE the involvement even if they still supplied cars, they were all pretty much junkers.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:33 pm

shorto wrote:Anyways what does everybody else think about this new series? Personally I don't know if I'm gonna watch it since I'm afraid it might screw up my taste for the original one ;)
I am cautiously optimistic. Everything I have seen so far indicates to me that the producers have learned several lessons from past attempts at a KR revival and did their best not to repeat those mistakes.

One of the most basic believe it or not is the scanner on the car. Despite being a continuation of the original series, TKR didn't use the scanners because the writers wanted it to be "unique" to KITT. Fair enough - the problem is they didn't make anything on the exterior of the TKR vehicles unique, setting them apart from the production vehicles. At least with the scanner and "defense mode" the 3000 has, you can see the producers wanted the car to be recognizable but still special.

I've never understood the statement that that a sequel to something can "ruin" your appreciation of the original. If this KR sucks, does that mean it's going to go into your living room, tear up your original KR DVDs and stomp all over them? The original series stands as what it was, cheesy, happy fun from the 80's. Plenty of people didn't like KR 2000, TKR or KR 2010 - yet they still love the original series.
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:48 am

Is Ford funding a great deal of money for this show, maybe that is why they couldn't alter the car much? Doesn't matter, I like the car. But,and this is just me, if this show just involves too much DNA Analysis, like a CSI on wheels or the car does only fast driving, sooner or later they're gonna have to get old school and do a few Turbo Boosts and Ski Modes, or it is going to eventually get boring.

And I am not knocking the idea of a new series by any means, I was as excited as anyone when I heard this movie was coming out.

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:58 am

Oh yeah, and one more thing.............. I would love to see on Sat 2-16 NBC (or at least Sci-Fi, anyhow) air the original Pilot of Knight Rider. So that if there is any younger people that is familiar with it, they could see how it all started. I think that'd be cool.

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:06 pm

How many I hate new KITT/will the original KITT or Micheal make a cameo/KITT should be an xyz car threads can we have :lol:

To be honest the car looks alot better in the newer 30sec ad than it does when I initially saw it. Quite abit of that is down to the camera work and lighting.

Hey Smoke, welcome to the board. A thing to note is that not everyone is dismissing the show based on essentially trivial matters. We are though a difficult lot to please :lol:

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:31 pm

My friend saw the new 30 second teaser today and the thing he said immediately was how kitt sounded like Optimus Prime. You can definetely tell where the TF inspiration comes into it.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ckeller22
Operative

Post by ckeller22 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:16 pm

I don't think that will be the voice in the end product.I don't think we have heard Val Kilmer's voice yet.So to really say Kitt will sound like Optimus Prime is premature until the 17th.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:25 pm

To be honest, it's not a bad thing, I like the sound of the voice. Kitt's voice has been different in the different teasers that have come out.

And I do believe this is Kilmer's voice although I could be wrong: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgMEn05rzEM
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:50 pm

It's not him, he just signed on a couple days ago.

knighthazzard
Recruit

Post by knighthazzard » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:57 am

Hi All. I may be jumping the gun here- I think the "I detect a change in body temperature in both of you" dialogue could well be that of Val Kilmers. However the other Voice captions in the clip and those clips prior to the latest are not. I have to say it- as a great fan of the original series- I am loving the new trailer! I really cannot wait to see it now :D

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:03 am

We spoke to David Bartis (executive producer) yesterday. He said that Kilmers dialog was recorded on Thursday - and due to the limited time left (just over a week!) they wont be able to get his voice into commercials.

So any commercials we have seen is NOT Val Kilmer.

knighthazzard
Recruit

Post by knighthazzard » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:06 am

Thanks for the update neps... looks like some real good work has gone into the movie It looks like it is coming together quite nicely. Well done guys :D

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:48 am

Will we be able to watch this movie on NBC.com??

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:04 pm

[quote="Smoke"]Good evening,

I have been reading all the complaints and general "Hate" about the new K.I.T.T., and how the new movie (and possible series) won't measure up, etc., etc. I have come to this conclusion:

If, after 20 years, your momma gave birth to a child (obviously twenty years younger than you), would you hate it? Would you complain about it even being around? Would you compare it to what you or others have accomplished in life? Or, would you accept it, learn to love it and hope it turns out better than you? This is a SEQUEL to try to continue the already established legacy. This is for YOUR enjoyment. It won't be there if you, your friends and your family don't sit your butts in from of your television sets and WATCH. So stop your hatin' and start participatin' in the new KNIGHT RIDER![/quote]

that analogy, for me, almost works...

its closer to 'your momma' REMARRYING and THEN having another child (which is kinda like Larson not being involved in this version...)

you (the fan/offspring) can still relate to your new sibling although it doesnt share the exact parental lineage that you do...

not too happy with Ms Russo (see interview transcript) stating categorically that Turbo boost is not featuring, in fact she seemed to hint it was 'outdated' and laughable...

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:56 pm

your brother is a 1982 Trans Am?