A bombshell... Arnett out as KITT

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

whet
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: A bombshell...

Post by whet » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:32 pm

Wow.

At first I thought this was a wind up, but it's not.
This will be great for Knight Rider.

knightstand
Recruit

Post by knightstand » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:04 pm

VK has a softer tone than arnett. I admit that Arnett was growing on me though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EsxzZIO-CM

This is VK on Jimmy Kimmel...This might be good guys and gals...

knightstand
Recruit

Post by knightstand » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:17 pm

I just found this clip-Its of Val Kilmer doing An animated movie-Prince of Egypt. A sample of some of his voice over work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtmBzoPCTWA

JimmyPSHayes
Operative

Post by JimmyPSHayes » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:24 pm

It think this will be a good thing. First, he's a bigger name than Will Arnett(no offense to him), it might help draw in some ratings. Just think "Batman is the voice of KITT"! :D

davejames
Rookie

Post by davejames » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:21 pm

Whoa, that's shocking. But of course even Arnett's voice was so processed that it hardly sounded like him, so it probably doesn't matter too much WHO they get.

Most likely they'll still gonna want a deep, KARR-like voice though. Which doesn't bother me. As much as I love Daniels, I don't think his higher voice would really have fit that particular car well.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:19 pm

ValKilmer.com - His official site, confirms it.

Of course, they link to another site that basically reposted your post (but gives us a link) - instead of linking directly here... but oh well.

GarthKnight08
FLAG Recruit

Post by GarthKnight08 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:37 pm

There is a new video on the official site with Kilmers voice. It only plays when you first get into the page or refresh it. Here is the link http://www.nbc.com/Knight_Rider/video/#mea=214079 its the same as the old "enough about me" video but with Kilmers voice. You can select the old version to hear the difference. It seems like it will be a soft & more KITT-like instead of a Arnett KARR-like voice.
Founder of OKA (Original KITT Anonymous)
If you need to get out feelings of loss for the Original KITT then we can help!

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:48 pm

We've been discussing that video here: viewtopic.php?f=1041&t=10875

Its the same video and audio we saw a month plus ago, before Val was even being considered.

GarthKnight08
FLAG Recruit

Post by GarthKnight08 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:53 pm

Maybe im just too excited but it sure sounded like him
Founder of OKA (Original KITT Anonymous)
If you need to get out feelings of loss for the Original KITT then we can help!

knightprobe89
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightprobe89 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:27 am

wow, val kilmer thats awesome, cant wait to hear him as kitt in the movie. :mrgreen:
in glen larson we trust.

Radicalas
Operative

Post by Radicalas » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:44 am

trissybabes
FLAG Recruit

Post by trissybabes » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:28 am

BBC Website has just picked up on it too...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7232353.stm

Knight Rider Archive
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight Rider Archive » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:42 am

It's the car, right? Chicks love the car.
- Paul
- http://www.knightriderarchives.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Knight316
Operative

Post by Knight316 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:25 am

It's the car, right? Chicks love the car.
Hahahaha......nice!

neps
Site Administrator

Re: A bombshell... Arnett out as KITT

Post by neps » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:47 am

One of my favorite Val Kilmer movies is "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" which is like this film noir style murder mystery. He plays a PI

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zw_fC_eFYd4

LadyV2000
FLAG Assistant

Post by LadyV2000 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:45 pm

Val Kilmer, wow. This is great news. I'm curious to know how he'll sound as KITT. Hopefully NBC will release some new scenes with his voice-over. Can't wait. :D
Flyer Guy: "You really a talking car?"
KITT: "No. I'm a tight end for the Chicago Bears!"

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:18 pm

The news made the front page of Variety. I think this is at least the 3rd time the NBC project has made the front page, which is a small indication that - for better or worse - the industry considers it an important project.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

David
Rookie

Post by David » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:01 am

No more Will?! This can only be "a huge mistake"- I mean "COME ON"!

:wink:

Kilmer might actually be an interesting choice, presumably a little closer to KITTs original "softer" voice as featured in the 1982 pilot.

I have to say though, I was looking forward to Arnett taking the whole "smart alec car" thing to the max.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:45 pm

NBC Released their offical PR today:
VAL KILMER ASSUMES ROLE AS VOICE OF KITT -- AMERICA'S FAVORITE TALKING CAR -- IN NBC'S 'KNIGHT RIDER' MOVIE EVENT ON FEBRUARY 17
Published: February 8, 2008

BURBANK, Calif. - February 8, 2008 - Val Kilmer ("Comanche Moon," "Batman Forever," "The Doors") will assume the role of the voice of KITT -- America's favorite talking car -- in NBC's "Knight Rider" movie of the week which revs up on Sunday, February 17 (9-11 p.m. ET).

Kilmer will play the role of KITT after actor Will Arnett had to withdraw from the role due to a conflicting sponsorship deal.

"We feel really lucky to have Val Kilmer on board for 'Knight Rider.' Val's voice has truly elevated the character of KITT and brought a whole new level of excitement to this project for us. He completely gets the fun that can be had in the relationship between a guy and his car, it's just a perfect fit for the show," expressed executive producer David Bartis.

After his breakthrough performance in the hit feature film "Top Gun," Kilmer starred in several more blockbusters covering a variety of genres, including "Batman Forever," "The Doors" (as Jim Morrison), "Tombstone" and the animated "The Prince of Egypt." Among Kilmer's many other films are "True Romance," "Heat," "The Saint," "Red Planet," "Wonderland," "Willow," "Pollock" and "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang."

"Knight Rider," the iconic 1980s television classic, is kicked into overdrive with an all-new cast and a modern day KITT. The two-hour movie event stars Justin Bruening, Deanna Russo, Sydney Tamiia Poitier and Bruce Davison. In addition, David Hasselhoff -- who starred in the popular lead role as Michael Knight for four seasons during the original series' run -- returns in this sequel as the same character during a special guest appearance. As the original story resumes in this sequel, KITT is absolutely the coolest car ever created: its supercomputer capable of hacking almost any system; its weapons systems efficient; and its body -- thanks to its creator's work and nanotechnology -- is capable of actually shifting shape and color. Plus, its artificial intelligence makes it the ideal crime-fighting partner: logical, precise and possessing infinite knowledge. It is the ultimate car and someone will be willing to do anything to obtain it.

NBC's partnership with Ford Motor Company provides for a unique content opportunity that makes the Ford Mustang one of the stars of the movie. The three cars to be employed in the series include the KITT Hero -- a Ford Mustang Shelby GT 500 KR that is playing the part of the everyday Hero car with 540 horsepower; the KITT Attack -- a super high-speed version of the Ford Mustang Shelby GT 500 KR Hero car that transforms into Attack mode with the help of air-ride technology and specialized body parts -- and a KITT Remote, which is a driverless Ford Mustang Shelby GT 500 KR version of the Hero vehicle.

David Bartis ("Heist," "The O.C.") and Doug Liman ("Mr. and Mrs. Smith," "The Bourne Identity") serve as executive producers. David Andron is supervising producer and writer. Steve Shill ("Dexter," "The Tudors"), also a co-executive producer, directs the two-hour movie from Universal Media Studios and Dutch Oven Productions.

KnightLady
Operative

Post by KnightLady » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:25 am

I was just getting used to hearing Arnett voice on previews...lol This should be interesting. Either which way you go the voice of KITT is going to have big shoes to fill. Good luck to VK on this endeavor.

PaoloM
Recruit

Post by PaoloM » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:28 pm

A softer, less "muscular", more polite voice is, in my opinion, a very good thing. Daniels' KITT was the british gentleman of cars and we need something similar to keep connected to classic Knight Rider. IMO they should have looked for a british actor.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:49 pm

One problem with that PaoloM - Daniels is from Brooklyn NY - not England. But classiness is understood - we'll have to see how Kilmer does. But even Arnetts stuff seems processed, so the creators obviously have something in mind.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:13 pm

:lol: I use to think William Daniels was British too.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

PaoloM
Recruit

Post by PaoloM » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:42 am

Daniels is not British? Oh my, what a wonderful british accent he gave to KITT.

KnightLady
Operative

Post by KnightLady » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:52 pm

David wrote:No more Will?! This can only be "a huge mistake"- I mean "COME ON"!

:wink:

Kilmer might actually be an interesting choice, presumably a little closer to KITTs original "softer" voice as featured in the 1982 pilot.

I have to say though, I was looking forward to Arnett taking the whole "smart alec car" thing to the max.
That's what I thought when I first head a clip of his voice-over work on KITT. But, it might actually be a smart choice for NBC with them trying to stay closer to original voice of KITT. I actually had to do my research on this actor. I knew he played in a lot of stuff, although off hand I couldn't remember what. The role I remember him most in was Iceman in Top Gun.