mustang gt 0-60 similar to cobalt.

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Rookie

Re: mustang gt 0-60 similar to cobalt.

Post by 1982 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:27 am

seeker78 wrote:ok well here is a Chevy Cobalt 2LT Coupe...we'll just say for the sake of argument that it is actually a SS Supercharged model (which has similar real world performance to a Mustang GT). the Chevy web site doesn't have an official pic of the SS Supercharged for me to post.

ok, so, if you knew nothing about this car, and didn't know the type of engine or drivetrain, or that it was "entry level", what specifically makes it look "dorky"???

Because, I'm sorry, I just don't see it.

Is it the wing? A Ford Mustang GT500KR also has a wing. That it has two doors and a backseat? Again, both share these features.
There isn't a Supercharged SS Cobalt for 2008. Chevy dumped it because it can't cut it emissionwise.

As far as looks, there is nothing special about it. It doesn't stand out by itself. There are a dozen or more knockoffs with basically the same cookie-cutter design. A little different grille and rearend, but nothing really uniquely original. Like just about everything these days, there isn't an original thought put into anything.

That Tesla chart is wrong. HP and Torque curves will ALWAYS intersect each other at 5252 RPM. That is a constant. The chart shows around 7000 RPM.

Those big wings always looked ridiculous. Makes any car look like an oversized baby stroller or shopping cart.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:27 am

I was looking for an animated GIF from a South Park episode where I think Butters was hitting a dead horse with a stick, but I couldn't find one. I probably could if I spent more time or made one myself but meh.....
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

d_osborn
Operative

Post by d_osborn » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:48 am

HA!!!!

shinobi594
Recruit

Post by shinobi594 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:30 pm

blowersho wrote:shinobi594 wrote

The days of blind FR (Front Engine Rear Wheel Drive) Superiority is over.... Technology FTW ^.

RWD will always be superior, thats why purpose built race cars are RWD. You will never see FWD at Bonneville, Indy 500, F1 or the 24 hours of Lemans.
Purpose built race cars are not all "RWD". There are different races that require different configurations. They are assembled according to the rules of the particular race its built for. If sophisticated AWD was allowed and hp/displacement is unlimited, AWD would DOMINATE. F1 BTW most cars in the races you mentioned (except for Bonnevile) are MID ENGINE/REAR ENGINE/RWD. The mustang is classic FRONT ENGINE/RWD. There is a BIG difference. MID ENGINE/RWD has more similarities to FWD because there the engine is positioned TRANSVERSELY and there is no long driveshaft, just like a FWD. Only difference is where the engine is located.I'm not knocking on FRWD, but I disagree with the notion of its superiority over all situations.

FWD is obviously at a disadvantage once horsepower figures go above 250. But below that performance envelope, FWD shouldn't be underestimated. In a previous thread, I mentioned a 1.8 liter FWD celica surpass a 2.0 liter FRWD new Miata in almost every performance standpoint, except weight distribution. Mind you, the miata is THE BEST SELLING CLASSIC SPORTS CAR.

I'll tell you what though, in some races (Like Speed World Touring Championship where hp and displacement are limited) where FWD and RWD compete with each other, you will see FWD cars winning.

blowersho
Operative

Post by blowersho » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:13 pm

Fair enough, allow me to rephrase. The purpose built race cars that have claimed victory at indy, Lemans or F1 for the past 90 years or so have been rwd.

These cars are the pinnacle of everything automotive and are rwd, no fwd car has ever attempted any of these races for a reason. As far as awd goes, it really only helps at the start, adds a lot of weight and is used in World Rally Championship but those are production based race cars and not purpose built.

You clearly know what you are talking about and are correct about the race cars being mid/rwd layout and about fwd being at a disadvantage above 250hp. Legitimate performance cars can be fwd under 250ish horse, above that the problems begin.

Yes I have seen those Speed World races where the integras are beating the 3 series bimmers, I really enjoy that class of racing it's the most entertaining.

shinobi594
Recruit

Post by shinobi594 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:28 pm

blowersho wrote: Yes I have seen those Speed World races where the integras are beating the 3 series bimmers, I really enjoy that class of racing it's the most entertaining.
As do I. Seeing a car that you see on the road everyday in racing trim battling wheel to wheel with other production based cars is very entertaining, more so (at least for me)dare I say than open wheel series' like Indy or F1. I should probably put my flame-suit on for saying that lol

d_osborn
Operative

Post by d_osborn » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:58 am

I should probably put my flame-suit on for saying that lol
You post that KITT should be a sport compact on a KNIGHT RIDER message board... yet you're worried about getting flamed for a remark on F1 racing? Hmmmm... :wink:

shinobi594
Recruit

Post by shinobi594 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:56 am

F1 hardcore fans are generally elitist, that's why I said that jokingly (notice the lol). Besides, I didn't consider any of the posts in reply to mine as flames... Should I?

On another thread I did suggest a celica as a possible candidate for Knight Rider because it looks fast and is actually pretty quick (for a FWD), and provided a comparison of facts between it and a popular sports car of the same price range for Knight Rider fans who are skeptical of the car's performance. I didn't suggest a focus or Pontiac G6.

On this thread I simply posted information to prove that some sport compacts are on par (if not superior) stock for stock to current market V8 muscle cars of the same price range... I didn't even suggest using an STi or Evo for KITT.... Apparently you don't think Sport Compacts are cool. I disagree. It's all gravy right? I also posted information about the problems of new mustang chassis design on a performance standpoint so that uninformed Knight Rider fans would be aware of it... I didn't think people would flame me for posting facts.

Don't worry my flame-suit is on now. Flame away ^.^