ford is an insult to the knight industries

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

surfer_20
Stranger

ford is an insult to the knight industries

Post by surfer_20 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:43 am

i think that damn ford company wants to use the knight rider image to sell their crappy ford cars. com`on does`nt the knight rider have a class of of its own?

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: ford is an insult to the knight industries

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:38 am

Uhhh, what?
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

surfer_20
Stranger

Post by surfer_20 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:45 am

im just saying i think they could have used a different car other than a ford, how abt a better trans am

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:06 am

Trans-Ams aren't made anymore and haven't been for six or so years, there's been plenty about this already. Specifically this topic.

viewtopic.php?f=1041&t=10624
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

surfer_20
Stranger

Post by surfer_20 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:49 am

wel i guess iam new to this forum :kitt:

KnightLady
Operative

Post by KnightLady » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:39 am

Hi surfer, welcome to the forum. If you check out this link it would answer the question on why they choose the Ford Mustang. http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=41270. And if this link doesn't work there is a thread in the General Discussion area of the interview with Bruening. I hope that answers some of your questions.

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:04 am

It always amuses me when people say obvious things like "Ford wants to sell cars". They are a for-profit company, not a not-for-profit car manufacturer. If they can use something media related to sell their product, they will do so just like Coke will let its soda appear in movies or GM had several of its vehicles featured in the "Transformers" film. This is nothing new.

As for being a "brand of its own", it is cost prohibitive for a studio to develop its own brand of car for a TV show. Modifying an existing car is the way to go.
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

Solid Snake
FLAG Recruit

Post by Solid Snake » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:41 am

I think ruling out Ford (or any car) by default because it is no Firebird´ish looking car is an insult to Knight Industries. Trust me... if this new Mustang will suck so much in the action sequences I will be also one of the people that will say... "yes, the nay sayers were right, it was bad!". But from what I have seen so far, I think this car will work greatly, it has a wonderful presence and a great stance, and the action footage I saw (though short) was looking really nice! Couple of days more... and we will all see.
Knight Rider, powered by Ford!

KR 1
Stranger

Post by KR 1 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:18 pm

i dk y some ppl are flipping out cause the new kitt is a shelby gt500kr. Im glad its american muscle. NOT some japanese crap *?$# that goes like 50mph.

shorto
Volunteer

Post by shorto » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:22 pm

I agree with the title 100%. Even if it's old I think that the K.I.T.T. "upgrade" was completely stupid. They would attract a bunch of original viewers by just using the old K.I.T.T.

ckeller22
Operative

Post by ckeller22 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:52 pm

Any company that got to put there car in the new movie would be doing the same thing. It is 2008 all company's are trying to make a profit. What do you think GM did when they put all there cars in Transformers. Hey to put it to rest that Pontiac didn't do that in the 80's your wrong here it is.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyoT-mfszzw
Holy cow is that Pontiac using Knight Rider in they're car commercial to sell Trans ams or Firebirds I think it is. So I think this Ford thing is dead. Stop calling the Kettle black pan.

shinobi594
Recruit

Post by shinobi594 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:00 pm

KR 1 wrote:i dk y some ppl are flipping out cause the new kitt is a shelby gt500kr. Im glad its american muscle. NOT some japanese crap *?$# that goes like 50mph.
A post just for KR 1.... Here you go buddy! Enjoy!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HlqjChw9H3A

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5ZliO4rUPvg

ckeller22
Operative

Post by ckeller22 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Ughhhhh....I started that thread and then realized your comparing a sport compact to a much larger based vehicle and the two cars have two totally different purposes and by the way it doesn't matter because this is Hollywood and you can make a tin can go 3000mph if they wanted to. Performance and handling is a non issue in Hollywood it's all about the cool factor. And Kitt is not a sport compact.

shinobi594
Recruit

Post by shinobi594 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:45 pm

lol.

What should a $40,000 mustang be compared to? A $15,000 civic?

I would hate to assume you didn't notice that my post was soley a reply regarding KR 1's stereotype on japanese cars.

ckeller22
Operative

Post by ckeller22 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:52 pm

Yea ,I have nothing against Japanese cars .They make great cars very reliable. Without going to far into it Kitt has to be an American car and like what was said limited options on the market to fit that bill plus GM wanted nothing to do with Knight Rider. There aren't many muscle cars out there to compare it to but the Charger is one they are in the same class.See the difference between a charger and a Impreza they are different.

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:00 am

shorto wrote:I agree with the title 100%. Even if it's old I think that the K.I.T.T. "upgrade" was completely stupid. They would attract a bunch of original viewers by just using the old K.I.T.T.
And that would have been a ratings bust. It is not enough with any relaunch of a known brand to "just" get old fans to watch. You need to get a new audience that may or may not have even been alive when the original aired. The Mustang is very popular even three years after its major "reinvention" to its current neo-Classic appearance. It also recently appeared in a major blockbuster movie (Transformers). My point is that using a modern, in production vehicle makes simple business sense instead of an old one that you'd have to go scrounging around for in used car sales lots and sale ads.
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

shinobi594
Recruit

Post by shinobi594 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:14 am

ckeller22 wrote:Yea ,I have nothing against Japanese cars .They make great cars very reliable. Without going to far into it Kitt has to be an American car and like what was said limited options on the market to fit that bill plus GM wanted nothing to do with Knight Rider. There aren't many muscle cars out there to compare it to but the Charger is one they are in the same class.See the difference between a charger and a Impreza they are different.
Ok I see where you're coming from. You feel that a more fair comparison would be american muscle vs. american muscle. But that comparison is going to be between two cars with similar concept/design. A comparison like that won't prove American V8 superiority if the comparison is between two American V8s. The category Edmunds is going for is performance car vs. performance car, be it american V8s, or Japanese 4bangers. Both cost about the same price, and both have similar HP figures. The goal is the same (performance on the street/track), but the design to reach that goal is different (small displacement AWD turbo flat4 vs. Big displacement V8 RWD muscle). If you look at it this way, you would find that it is a fair comparison.

shinobi594
Recruit

Post by shinobi594 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:24 am

shorto wrote:I agree with the title 100%. Even if it's old I think that the K.I.T.T. "upgrade" was completely stupid. They would attract a bunch of original viewers by just using the old K.I.T.T.
I believe original viewers will still be attracted despite using the new mustang simply because its a Knight Rider show. I for one am one of those original viewers that will still be watching. Besides, part of why they are using a new vehicle is to attract new viewers that didn't grow up with the Original Knight Rider. I doubt showing an 82 Trans Am as KITT in 2008 would have the same impact as when it was shown back in 83.

89IROCNDoug
Operative

Post by 89IROCNDoug » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:40 pm

shinobi,
I don't think the Edmunds comparison video is a fair comparison in that the Mustang Shelby is just overpriced. A Mustang GT that is only $27,000 has 300hp and that Mustang Shelby only has 319hp??? A lot of the overpricing is due to the Shelby name. People will pay more for the car just for it to say Shelby.

A better comparison would be between the $27,000 Mustang GT (300hp) and the $26,000 Subaru WRX (224hp). I think the Subaru would still win this comparison due to weight and the Subaru's rally racing all wheel drive, but I think the Mustang would be more competitive without seeing any specs. Maybe I'll look it up later.

It's unfortunate that the Shelby name is driving up the price.
One man did make a difference.

shinobi594
Recruit

Post by shinobi594 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:28 pm

89IROCNDoug wrote:shinobi,
I don't think the Edmunds comparison video is a fair comparison in that the Mustang Shelby is just overpriced. A Mustang GT that is only $27,000 has 300hp and that Mustang Shelby only has 319hp??? A lot of the overpricing is due to the Shelby name. People will pay more for the car just for it to say Shelby.

A better comparison would be between the $27,000 Mustang GT (300hp) and the $26,000 Subaru WRX (224hp). I think the Subaru would still win this comparison due to weight and the Subaru's rally racing all wheel drive, but I think the Mustang would be more competitive without seeing any specs. Maybe I'll look it up later.

It's unfortunate that the Shelby name is driving up the price.
Good point. However, doesn't the current Ford Shelby GT500 come with a slightly modded engine and suspension components as well as some minor chassis modifications here and there? If not, that's an awful lot of money to pay just for a mustang with a body kit and some Shelby Stickers...

Mustang GT vs WRX: One thing I like about Ford's switch back to solid rear axle on the new Mustang is its ease of getting sideways and advantage on Straight line acceleration... A stock mustang GT would definitely stomp on a WRX on the 1/4 ( I think the GT is able to net high 13s vs. the WRX's low 14s) , but yes, I think on most every other category short of acceleration I agree with you that the WRX would have a slight advantage. I'm sure we can find info on their specs somewhere.... Hopefully we'll soon see how the upcoming GT500KR Super Snake will fare against cars of similar price range....

Cheers. :)

Solid Snake
FLAG Recruit

Post by Solid Snake » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:27 pm

There are several Shelby Mustangs. There is the Shelby GT (which is the consumer version of the Herz "rent-a-racer") that has about 330 hp and a bodykit. But the Shelby GT500 KR is a beast... its much more than just another Mustang... the road going version has 540+ hp... that alone makes a bigger price tag justified. Also... there will be a Shelby Super Snake with 720+ hp... can you say ouch?
Knight Rider, powered by Ford!

shinobi594
Recruit

Post by shinobi594 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:14 pm

I can see mid to low 12 second quarter mile times on the upcoming GT500KRs... Probably high 11s on the 720+ hp Super Snake... Definitely OUCH. But ouch also on your warranty... With that much power on a chassis that is not necessarilly top notch however, hopefully, Ford will do something about its handling aspects to make it compete with a C6 Z06 since they're almost the same price.... If I had a choice, I think I'd stick with 540 hp... That's more than enough for the street, and especially for the chassis. In the words of one Edmunds writer: "Looking like it's 1968 is one thing. Driving like it's 1968 is something else altogether."

jaws
Volunteer

Post by jaws » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:12 am

The GT500KR is definitely the only choice for KITT. GM has the Corvette which ranges from $55000 and up, Dodge has the Viper which has already been used in a TV show and costs $80000+. Mustangs start around $19000 all the way up to $80000 for the KR. If a fan wanted to make their own KITT, they could buy a V6 or GT and easily find enough aftermarket parts to replicate it.

BTW, I've owned 3 Mustangs over the years, they the most fun car to drive and will turn heads wherever you drive it.

Please do not suggest foreign made vehicles for KITT, if they used such vehicles this would be Fast & the Furious Part ___.

pawn65
Stranger

Post by pawn65 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:21 pm

Solid Snake wrote:I think ruling out Ford (or any car) by default because it is no Firebird´ish looking car is an insult to Knight Industries. Trust me... if this new Mustang will suck so much in the action sequences I will be also one of the people that will say... "yes, the nay sayers were right, it was bad!". But from what I have seen so far, I think this car will work greatly, it has a wonderful presence and a great stance, and the action footage I saw (though short) was looking really nice! Couple of days more... and we will all see.
Right a car that makes 550hp is gonna suck in an action sequence are you kidding me?

shinobi594
Recruit

Post by shinobi594 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:02 pm

pawn65 wrote:
Solid Snake wrote:I think ruling out Ford (or any car) by default because it is no Firebird´ish looking car is an insult to Knight Industries. Trust me... if this new Mustang will suck so much in the action sequences I will be also one of the people that will say... "yes, the nay sayers were right, it was bad!". But from what I have seen so far, I think this car will work greatly, it has a wonderful presence and a great stance, and the action footage I saw (though short) was looking really nice! Couple of days more... and we will all see.
Right a car that makes 550hp is gonna suck in an action sequence are you kidding me?
Not unless its chasing and being outhandled by a puny 170hp Miata through road with lots of turns. Might be cool to see a Mustang "power sliding" slowly through a turn, but all the while being left in the dust as the bad guy in the Miata just breezes through the turn with ease and leaves the mustang wasting its 550hp burning its rear tires trying to gain traction... That mustang better pray there will be some long straights for it to catch up to the bad guy.

But I'm sure Hollywood will do some special effects to make the Mustang handle alot better than it should (make the other car turn slower, drift,, use fast forward, or use an even worse handling car for the bad guy... That always seemed to work on the original).