NBC Knight Rider TWO MINUTE preview

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

neps
Site Administrator
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: NBC Knight Rider TWO MINUTE preview

Post by neps » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:48 pm

There is another shot at the end of the clip when they are fighting outside that you can see the plate as well. non vanity indeed.

I know they had the Knight plate in the Pilot - but I also recall when Michael is pulled over after falling asleep - it was a non vanity plate there as well.

From what we've heard - this KITT was built in secret - so it might not have a vanity plate in the first movie simply cause it wasn't having attention drawn to it yet.

Neil

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:58 pm

with the 'shapeshifting' qualities of the car, it could have any number plate anyway....

they can afFORD to give the car any gimmick they want...

Mike K
Rookie

Post by Mike K » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:10 pm

WOW great find, :D
I cannot wait to see the new KR - tho I wished KITT was in attack mode all the time looks a lot more menacing & mean.

Only one problem I have got….I am in the UK & will not able to watch it when you guys can on 17th Feb 08. :cry: :cry: :cry:

davejames
Rookie

Post by davejames » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:12 pm

Any chance someone can post a screencap of this "dismantled" KITT, for those of us at work and blocked from youtube? I'm really curious to see it. Thanks. :)

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:22 pm

Joe Huth wrote:Hard to tell, but at least in this shot, KITT has a non-vanity license plate:
Still is consistent with my theory that the plate will change over once the Knight 3000 goes into the Attack Mode. Also, as neps pointed out, the clips from the 20-minute presentation that got intermixed with the original Pilot featured non-vanity plates on K.I.T.T. as well. So it could also perhaps be changed in post-production, maybe.

I'd personally like to see the Attack Mode saved for the end as sort of a climax, not unlike when Super Pursuit Mode was used at the end of every episode in Season 4. It would be nice and dramatic for the "KNIGHT" plate to be revealed once Mike Tracer accepts who he is. It would also be a nice '80s-esque cliché.
Last edited by Lost Knight on Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Mango19
Rookie

Post by Mango19 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:26 pm

Lost Knight wrote: It would be nice and dramatic for the "KNIGHT" plate to be revealed once Mike Tracer accepts who he is.
I sense a very large cookie in your future... :)

Mike K
Rookie

Post by Mike K » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:27 pm

Re "Any chance someone can post a screencap of this "dismantled" KITT"

I have tried here
Attachments
old kitt.JPG
old kitt.JPG (12.54 KiB) Viewed 14243 times

Mike K
Rookie

Post by Mike K » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:29 pm

One off of his sterring wheel :(
Attachments
old kitt II.JPG
old kitt II.JPG (10.3 KiB) Viewed 14160 times

spto
Volunteer

Post by spto » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:33 pm

After having seen that 2 minute promo i've gone from skeptic to actually being excited. The car actually does look good though again i'd prefer something sleeker. I like how they've done a direct nod to the past in the way that Mike and KITT meet. I imagine we'll see the same kind of "dark room/scanner" intro from the original series as that's a visual and set up that could work well no matter what car you use.

KITT's voice sounds a little TOO human though. I'd like it if they made the voice a little more metalic sounding but that's a small quibble. It's pretty distressing to see the original KITT all destroyed like that but hopefully it plays a bigger role. I agree with what one poster is saying about how they could probably be using the AI from the original KITT on the new one but it seems that the new KITT does have a unique attitude.

It really does seem like they've taken all the fun and somewhat goofy elements of the original series and added in 21st century attitudes to it. Perhaps this TV movie CAN work. I hope that if the movie doesn't live up to expectations ratings wise that NBC will stick with it because I think this is one of those things where word of mouth will benefit it.

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:42 pm

Very cool preview :D This sure feels the best attempt bringing Knight Rider back so far, I sure hope this will become a tv-series and end up on DVD quickly. I'm afraid this wont be seen on Finnish tv very soon though, even the original Knight Rider started here in January 1984, pretty much 1,5 years later than in USA. Well, hope it wont take that long anymore these days...

davejames
Rookie

Post by davejames » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:49 pm

Well let's all hope this becomes a huge, long-running series then-- because you know it would only be a matter of time before they bring back the original car for an episode. Maybe for sweeps week the Mustang gets damaged and they need to bring the Pontiac out of storage for an emergency.

One can always dream, at least. :D

HungarianKnight
FLAG Recruit

Post by HungarianKnight » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:50 pm

Mike K wrote:One off of his sterring wheel :(
This is a bit wierd. Only the Season 1/2 wheel had the "Knight Two Thousand" markings. Will they ignore the S3/4 dash?

KnightCrusader99
Operative

Post by KnightCrusader99 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:58 pm

Lost Knight wrote: It would be nice and dramatic for the "KNIGHT" plate to be revealed once Mike Tracer accepts who he is.
Wouldn't it be nice if Michael Knight is the one that gives him the plate, liking handing it over to him as a symbol of passing the baton to the next generation? It would also fit better as to why Mike Traceur would have "Knight" as his plate. :-)

BoMcD
Operative

Post by BoMcD » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:01 pm

Due to the time crunch deadline Rob Louisell was under, he had to provide basically a complete KITT interior in a week (including shipping) and the only things that were available were a season 1/2 setup....

If he had had more time a 3/4 setup would have been sent....

But it's cool, I have the exact same gullwing for my replica as seen in that clip :-)

I
http://www.knightfoundation.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KnightCrusader99
Operative

Post by KnightCrusader99 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:05 pm

HungarianKnight wrote:
Mike K wrote:One off of his sterring wheel :(
This is a bit wierd. Only the Season 1/2 wheel had the "Knight Two Thousand" markings. Will they ignore the S3/4 dash?
Well maybe sometime after 1986 and before KITT was stored away they had to replace his steering wheel and had only one of the originals in storage to use, thus, saying Knight Two Thousand on the wheel just like in the first season. There is 21 years of missing back story if this is the direct sequel of the original series so anything could have happened.

Honestly, I would overlook this because they actually took the effort this time to make it look like the original K2000, not a box of garbage and parts in KR2K. :D

justinbrueningnet
Operative

Post by justinbrueningnet » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:19 pm

Great Promo. Made my day :)

knightdriver
FLAG Assistant

Post by knightdriver » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:45 pm

Anyone notice his name isn't Tracer, They spelled it Traceor in one of the shots.

You also can't see the license plate in Attack mode as there is a big shield covering over the
entire back of the car as well as tinted tail lights.
Brian - Knightdriver.com

justinbrueningnet
Operative

Post by justinbrueningnet » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:45 pm

Does anyone have an idea during which programs the promo is more likely to air during? I would like to record it to make caps from for my site :)

Solid Snake
FLAG Recruit

Post by Solid Snake » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:57 pm

Duster wrote:Wow, that was really cool stuff!
It was cool and sad at the same time to see old KITT that way. I'm really curious what role he will play in the new series.

Aside from that, everything looks fantastic. Even the car looks cool as hell. I mean come on, Ford or not, on screen it looks great! Now if they just would work on the interior of the car it would be perfect. But thanks to Shapeshifter we know this is in the works.

Justin seems to be a good choice for the leading role.

I'm really hyped now. February 17th, my birthday by the way, can't come soon enough!
10-4 I agree!!! The car is just about perfect for what seems to be a mean and dark KITT. I really am digging the stance!
Knight Rider, powered by Ford!

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:12 pm

spto wrote:KITT's voice sounds a little TOO human though. I'd like it if they made the voice a little more metalic sounding but that's a small quibble.
Yeah, it still does have a slight computer sound to it. It's better than KR2000, in which William Daniels might as well have been standing there.
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

davejames
Rookie

Post by davejames » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:16 pm

Duster wrote: Yes, the scanner is great. But the second, third and fourth (and so on ;) ) time I watched that preview I noticed that the scanner is deactivated most of the time. We only see it at the very beginning and at the end, but never in the actual footage of the pilot. Espacially in the scene where KITT is racing through that tunnel the scanner would have looked great. I wonder if it will be added in post production or if it really is deactivated most of the time.
Finally saw this, and I have to agree I'm getting more and more concerned that we'll only see the scanner when KITT is in "attack mode" or, well, scanning something. Somehow I sense Ford's influence at work here... :roll:

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:49 pm

BoMcD wrote:Due to the time crunch deadline Rob Louisell was under, he had to provide basically a complete KITT interior in a week (including shipping) and the only things that were available were a season 1/2 setup....

If he had had more time a 3/4 setup would have been sent....
What a disappointment. :( Well, at least the reason for the Seasons 1-2 dashboard wasn't because of lazy research of the original series, which is always a pet peeve of mine when it happens in other movies/series. But it still irritates me for continuity's sake.

Also, for the record, the "Knight Two Thousand" lettering only appeared in the Pilot episode. However, it's at least a cool artifact to find as K.I.T.T. never had any other identifiable lettering saying his name or Knight 2000 (aside from some clips of the voice modulator from the 20-minute preview, which was gone after the Pilot). Those people seen in the teaser examining the garage can use the lettering as a frame of reference.

:dash4:
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

rhdaussiekitt
FLAG Recruit

Post by rhdaussiekitt » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:30 pm

I like it, it kinda looks like they're trying to get the feel of the original show. Ie Mike not sure if he likes a computer driven car , just Like in the original series Pilot..
I just wish they dropped the ford logo's and done a little something with the rear end.
But its definalty growing on me , every time I see a new clip..
--knightman--

CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant

Post by CJaguar442 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:33 pm

didnt they dismantle KITT in knight rider 2000 and wasn't that one of the reasons that the movie was a flop i hated that part of the movie too. :kitt: if there is no turbo boost in this movie you pretty know that history will repeat itself :dash4:
Re-elect Mayor Goldie wilson, Progress is his middle name!
Save the Clocktower!
Go Boston Red Sox! Go Boston Bruins! Go Boston Celtics!
Go the distance and he will come!

James_kr
FLAG Assistant

Post by James_kr » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:34 pm

That KNIGHT TWO THOUSAND lettering doesn't look right to me, its the wrong font I believe. Also I prefer the knight symbol when its not a horn button.

I am glad they are using the 2TV dash because I like it better than the 3/4 but I do believe it should have continued on using the 3/4 dash.

I don't understand why KITT is dismantled. Even if there is a new KITT its still going to be the "fastest, safest, strongest" car in the world and I don't know why Michael Knight would let him be dismantled. Doesn't make sense to me.
K.I.T.T: "Dog go away"