NBC Knight Rider TWO MINUTE preview

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: NBC Knight Rider TWO MINUTE preview

Post by cloudkitt » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:24 am

Shapeshifter wrote:Sorry to disappoint, but William Daniels will NOT be involved in this production.
Ohhhhh :cry:

I understand, that's fine - and better than someone else voicing him. But still...I was hoping that...maybe...
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

89IROCNDoug
Operative

Post by 89IROCNDoug » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:00 am

Shapeshifter wrote: It doesn't mean that the Knight 2000 will EVER be voiced by anyone else. It's just that, in the TV pilot, William Daniels is not involved. That means that the original KITT will not have a speaking role in this production, unless they do some alchemy with previous voice/over.
Well, like I brought up in another thread that I started, even though Daniels isn't involved in person, I won't be surprised if his voice is still heard. :wink:
One man did make a difference.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:52 am

knightendo_phil wrote:i still can't believe people are nitpicking like this, but in this day and age seat belts are a must in a car that will do the things KITT does. simply put, you can't have it any other way, it would just be wrong to show no belts like that on tv and completely irresponsible.... and i still can't believe the original skirted around the issue of that AND drink driving!!
What drinking and driving are you talking about? Please tell me the episode(s) where Michael threw back a few beers and drove. The Pilot episode featured K.I.T.T. with seatbelts. After that, K.I.T.T. and Michael relied on the built-in collision avoidance system. By the time K.I.T.T. got a new dashboard in Season 3, the Passive Laser Restraint System was integrated which held occupants in place via harmless invisible lasers.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:23 am

Personally I'm for their getting rid of certain "magical" abilities that KITT had that are too far out there in defying physics, like the passive laser restrain system which seems just like something someone made up because it sounded cool and to deflect attention away from the fact that he wasn't wearing a seat belt, ever. Though I think there were points where belts were used. Though Ikind of hope we don't see characters actually wasting time putting on their seat belts since there should be something better that can be thought of than an old seatbelt that can it self cause harm but still at least have a tiny bit of realism..

Then then there's the part of me that's bugged by the fact that the new KITT not only has significantly less power under the hood and probably slower but also gets worse gas mileage. >_>
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

knightendo_phil
Rookie

Post by knightendo_phil » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:09 am

PHOENIXZERO wrote:Personally I'm for their getting rid of certain "magical" abilities that KITT had that are too far out there in defying physics, like the passive laser restrain system which seems just like something someone made up because it sounded cool and to deflect attention away from the fact that he wasn't wearing a seat belt, ever. Though I think there were points where belts were used.
That the point I was trying to make, yes. The original show had to add in that silly idea to get around the fact that he never wore one, which was a bit silly - the best racing cars/rally cars/advanced military vehicles in use today all have restraint systems. Who's to say the ones in the new Knight Rider don't self adjust via KITT or have some other kind of "futuristic" add-on? I just think leaving them out would be a bit silly, times have changed since the original show.

As for drinking and driving, I remember in "A Nice, Indecent Little Town" that it was brought to my attention first in one scene, but when I went and watched the pilot episode again some time after it, it really struck me! :shock: In the first scene inside the Rising Sun(?) bar, when Michael eventually has his drink poured over him, the waitress (it's too early in the morning for me to remember character's names, even important ones sorry lol) asks him for a credit card because his "tab is getting up there", which meant he had been drinking quite a lot. He then leaves and drives off, and at this stage he still didn't like KITT and so was driving himself. (And yes it was beer, was quite clear. He even asked for one in A.N.I.L.T before drinking it and driving off.) Not only did Michael drink and drive a few times in the show but no other character ever made a remark about it (which later on coulda been a good way to introduce KITT to them).
Cobra wrote:Thanks for missing the point.
No I didn't, I just disagree.
cobra wrote:You don't seem to understand that its all the small details that in the end can make something a huge success or a miserable failure. If all the small pieces don't fit well together, the show won't take off the ground. A black car with a red scanner simply doesn't register as Knight Rider to me. It may to you, but it doesn't to me. It takes a lot more than that to make me acccept this new series as the revived Knight Rider series I loved as a kid in the 80s.
Yes, and by looking at what we know so far the team behind the new show realise that. There's a lot of effort being put into this and an obvious respect for the original series that changing a few things isn't going to take away from. It's an updated, modern show, and if that means needing seat belts in a day when you wouldn't be able to get away with it otherwise then so be it. I agree with Skav, it won't make a difference to how successful the show is - other small details will and you're right in saying that the small details matter to fans. I'm a huge fan, but the small details to me are how Mike and KITT interact, KITT's slightly prissy demeanour, the roar of the engine etc.

So no, I wasn't changing the subject matter, just coming at it from another perspective. :)
"I got better things to do tonight than die."

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:22 am

Michael did drink SOMETHING in the bar scenes in Pilot but it wasn't necessary alcoholic beverage, you can get non-alcoholic drinks too in a bar.
As for seatbelts, in REAL world, the new Mustang surely have several airbags too but of course they alone aren't enough, seatbelts while being "primitive" technology, are still very much necessary and together with airbags they give you better chance to survive if a collision occurs.
In the Knight Rider universe, you can't have a collision unless the driver specifically order KITT to collide so the seatbelts aren't necessary to wear. Remember, Knight Rider isn't a reality show.
I don't remember the "boys" in Dukes of Hazzard movies or Lindsay Lohan's character Maggie Peyton in Herbie Fully Loaded wore seatbelts either.

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:41 am

I'm just so grateful that the movie is on and ready to be aired within the next couple days; however, there is one thing that bothers me with the 2 minute preview or any other preview that we've had so far, the fact that Hasselhoff is not in any of those nor even mentioned to play a cameo in the new movie!

Also, we all know that the 2-hour-pilot is going to be aired on NBC but is there any chance of it being aired abroad, in Sweden perhaps?

One thing is for sure, when it comes out on DVD i'll be the first one to get a copy! :D
Michael: Kitt what matters to me is who you are not what you look like. Sure we don't have the car so we can't turbo boost so we can't go over 200 miles an hour but it was all icing on the cake anyway

PaoloM
Recruit

Post by PaoloM » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:50 am

PHOENIXZERO wrote:Personally I'm for their getting rid of certain "magical" abilities that KITT had that are too far out there in defying physics
I see your point but in my opinion KITT has to keep what I call the "wow!" feeling. In the old show, back in the 80s, KITT really seemed to have come from another world, like a starship from space. A mysterious, magical and futuristic vehicle. If you turn in the "realistic" way, you loose some of Knight Rider spirit.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:11 am

You can have a "wow" feeling/factor but there needs to be something that completely defy logic and physics out. The PLRS is one of those things that really made no sense, no matter what level of technology the new KITT has. It's up there with KITT's magical microwave jammer. Personally, I don't think anyone was wowed by the "restraint system" since you really never saw it, it was just a message on a screen.

Turbo Boost is about a thousand times more important.
Knight-Armen wrote:I'm just so grateful that the movie is on and ready to be aired within the next couple days; however, there is one thing that bothers me with the 2 minute preview or any other preview that we've had so far, the fact that Hasselhoff is not in any of those nor even mentioned to play a cameo in the new movie!

Also, we all know that the 2-hour-pilot is going to be aired on NBC but is there any chance of it being aired abroad, in Sweden perhaps?

One thing is for sure, when it comes out on DVD i'll be the first one to get a copy! :D
Hasselhoff probably won't be seen in them, they'll want to keep his appearance for when it airs. If you're in Sweden I'm sure you can think of a way or two to see it. ;) Hopefully they save a DVD release for if the pilot gets picked up for a series and it's included with the set when it comes to DVD.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Mr.MojoRisin
Volunteer

Post by Mr.MojoRisin » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:12 pm

Hey, I'll have it on dvd the day after it airs. I gave up waiting for "official" releases a long time ago.

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:40 pm

Well, I'm sure that Amazon.co.uk will have it avaliable in region 2 format in the near future! Although, why is the movie airing on NBC and not the theaters?
Michael: Kitt what matters to me is who you are not what you look like. Sure we don't have the car so we can't turbo boost so we can't go over 200 miles an hour but it was all icing on the cake anyway

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:52 pm

Knight-Armen wrote:Although, why is the movie airing on NBC and not the theaters?
Because the NBC project is a TV Movie. NBC is a Television station.

For Knight Rider in the Theater, we'll have to wait till 2009-2010 when Glen Larson's Motion Picture project will hopefully be released.

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:55 pm

Oh, that explains everything! Thanks for the information...

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Victor Kros » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:41 pm

Knight Armen,

Please do not use my avatar, I worked hard to make that one of a kind and exclusive to me so I can easily find my posts. Please change it to something else to avoid confusion. In the future please ask before using my artwork.

Thank you for understanding,

=VK=
:dash:

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:07 pm

Sure, i'll change it for something else!

justinbrueningnet
Operative

Post by justinbrueningnet » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:23 pm

Im curious, what is the this promo airing during? Because commercial breaks dont typically air a two minute segment...

thecolor
Volunteer

Post by thecolor » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:18 am

I'm really actually very disappointed they are not using a resurrected TA, and I can almost deal with "Mike Tracer", considering it's a "new generation"?!

But, a FORD MUSTANG! I like the car, but really... I don't want my kids growing up thinking K.I.T.T. was a mustang. They kept the bionic woman, well, bionic, with all her original parts, and kept her name.

They kept the Duke boys and car the same....

WHY, WHY.. I want to cry. Sad If anything were to remain the same, why could the car not remain the same. :kitt:

The only ray of sunshine I can get out of this, is.... I can use a newer car for my newest replica. Smile

Perhaps, he'll be talking into a cellWatch like one on my forum. :D

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:26 am

Welcome to the board. The Ford thing is kind of beaten to death for us at this point. There isn't any other production vehicles available, and it really grows on you the more you look at it.

Put the Ford aside. This is a Knight Industries vehicle - common reality doesn't apply.

thecolor
Volunteer

Post by thecolor » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:40 am

ok, ok.... but, I'll probably be sticking to the old skool ride unless there are some SERIOUSLY upgraded gadgets! :)

After all, nearly everything about the original was so far ahead of it's time, it took until this century to see them all come to life. (granted some where a bit back). Look at one of those Star Trek TV shows (the one with the quantum lean guy)... and the newest Star Wars 1,2,3... both were set in a backwards time... (before the original)... so, you really could not make it higher tech then the one it was suppose to be before (which for S.T. was the one with Capitan Kirk, and well, we probably all know the Star Wars deal.

Anyway, I'll be better off, if I see some SERIOUS movie magic, and some killer gadgets, that preferably don't exist so someone can create them.

Know what I mean?

Any thoughts on whether this will kill or be bad for a movie?

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:17 am

Hey, listen... I came to think about something yesterday namely the surname of Mike (main actor of the new KR movie). Now, I hate to nitpick every aspect of this new production but the people just wouldn't make things simpler by keeping David Hasselhoff (the real knight in shining armor) and exclude this jackass plot about Michael Knight having a son so I thought I had to hear from one of you guys about this "inconsistency", so here it goes:

Since Mike Tracer is the son of Michael Knight then why the heck would his lastname be Tracer? It should be Knight unless they chose to have him called by Michael Knight's wife which is so far unknown?

Any ideas... ?

(I haven't seen this film yet but that goes for all of you too so... off the record, the car we can all live with. It's just a matter of getting used to another vehicle and I can almost tell for sure that 85-90 % of all of the fans will like it but this character change is just unforgivable...

HungarianKnight
FLAG Recruit

Post by HungarianKnight » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:34 am

Knight-Armen wrote:Since Mike Tracer is the son of Michael Knight then why the heck would his lastname be Tracer? It should be Knight unless they chose to have him called by Michael Knight's wife which is so far unknown?
Either Mike's mom was called Tracer or Mike was adopted. Or, maybe, he was in something like a witness protection program, under the supervision of Devon/FLAG, to protect Michael Knight's family from revenge-thirsty villains, thus the new family name.

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:42 am

Either Mike's mom was called Tracer or Mike was adopted. Or, maybe, he was in something like a witness protection program, under the supervision of Devon/FLAG, to protect Michael Knight's family from revenge-thirsty villains, thus the new family name.
It's amazing how someone can satisfy a question like that with just a small bit of imagination, I admire that...

Anyway, thanks...

thecolor
Volunteer

Post by thecolor » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:59 am

He could be a clone. ;)

HungarianKnight
FLAG Recruit

Post by HungarianKnight » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:08 pm

Knight-Armen wrote: It's amazing how someone can satisfy a question like that with just a small bit of imagination, I admire that...

Anyway, thanks...
Is this a positive or negative comment?

ckeller22
Operative

Post by ckeller22 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:15 pm

there is a need to introduce new characters and a new young hero. The Hoff as Michael Knight was awesome he was young daring lone crusader fighting crime. He was in his late 20's early 30's not 50 years old. To have David to be the lead and hero with a fifty something Michael Knight would be a disaster for them. The Knight Rider fan base might like it but you would turn off the new generation in which they want to appeal to as well. They and I as a matter of fact do not want to see David jumping around saving the day just as much as would you want Adam West as Batman in the new Batman theatrical movie coming out this summer the Dark Knight-If you say yes to that I cannot help you..lol So granted the need for a new young charismatic fun hero is needed and to a nod to the old fan base it's pass to a relative of our beloved hero his son.