Question to Victor

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

knightfan81
Volunteer

Question to Victor

Post by knightfan81 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:05 am

I am a newbie to the board, but not to KR, so forgive me if this sounds a little bold, but I have a serious question about what the feature film is all about.

Victor, you have stated that the feature will be a 'reimagining' of the original story. What I am wanting to know is, is the film going to simply be a reload of Knight of the Phoenix or is it going to be a completely different take on the story? I know that you have to retell some of the story in order to pull new fans into the world, but if its simply going to be the pilot put on the big screen, won't it be a case of been there, done that?

Just a question I had.

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: Question to Victor

Post by Victor Kros » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:28 pm

Thank you for asking knightfan81,

The feature film is not an exact re-imagining of the original pilot. It is not a straight update of the script for Knight of the Pheonix. It is essentially inspired from the characters and some of the events from it, but reworked and presenting in an exciting new way that will expand on the origin of The Knight Foundation and Wilton Knight. Some elements are different because by today's standards certain plot points in the original television pilot do not hold up on the big screen. Keep in mind in a theater there are no intermissions, the goal is to keep the audience engaged in the story enough that they don't worry about the time or other distractions. Something you can't get on a television screen is the experience of being drawn into what's on screen, on a larger format that puts you in the middle of the action and suspense. You watch a television show, you experience a motion picture.

Since this is a modern day reimagining, KITT will have impressive new technology that the average car cannot contain and perform skills the average car cannot achieve. I cannot disclose any more then that but it will contain many elements from the original show that fans will be able to recognize and hopefully give a little smile of approval to. The feature film will also have absolutely nothing to do with the NBCU backdoor pilot, even our KITT's abilities will differ. (when possible, some things are standards these days that many hi-tech cars share)

I can confirm beyond a shadow of a doubt, our KITT will Turbo Boost.

=VK=
:dash:

davejames
Rookie

Post by davejames » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:40 pm

Interesting. The only thing I hope (in the case of both new KITTs actually) is that these new abilities are still somewhat grounded in the real world.

I hated in the Knight Rider 2000 movie how KITT was somehow able to read people's minds and display an image of that on a TV screen. That crossed over FAR too much into scifi territory for my taste. Hell, they don't even have the technology for that in Star Trek. lol

Mike K
Rookie
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Mike K » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:42 pm

As also a newbie to this forum, but not to Knight Rider, When is this film to be made? 2008,2009 etc..... Will it defiantly get made?

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:56 pm

The feature film will definately be made, it would be far too costly to abandon this time around and is estimated for a 2010 release. I cannot comment on KITT's new abilities but they are grounded in reality to a certain extent of theorized science. Remember part of the fun of Knight Rider was being able to take things that exist in the real world which people would think were impossible to create in a car and make them a probable impossibility, like a time traveling Delorean that can fly or run on railroad tracks.

=VK=

Mike K
Rookie

Post by Mike K » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:00 pm

Brill thanks for the quick reply :)

Will it be another brand new car or the original :kitt:

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:05 pm

Brand new car inspired by the original. It will be shiny black, have a red ocillating scanner light in the grill and be named KITT.

=VK=

Knight316
Operative

Post by Knight316 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:59 am

Vicotor, i've read some reports that The Weinstein Company is in talks with the WWGA to strike an interim deal and that one could be completed fairly soon. If the company were to come to an agrement with the writers will production on the KR movie proceed?

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:35 pm

Where did you read it? If you have a link, please post it.

=VK=

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:01 pm

Seems to be a lot of google hits saying the same thing:

http://www.google.com/search?q=wga+wein ... =firefox-a

this one in particular:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01062008/bu ... 115475.htm

This sounds like great news!

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:32 pm

Thank you, that is most helpful information.

I will make sure to get a copy of this article in Glen's hands along with some other stuff.

=VK=

Yetiii98
Recruit

Post by Yetiii98 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:31 pm

Hi Victor,

have a question about the film and the future of it if/when it becomes succesful enough to think about sequels etc.

I know there is a bit of a disagreement ( sarcastically speaking of course lol) with Glenn and NBC, however, should the film be popular enough could thislead to a new take on a TV series by Glen, in a similar form to Battlestar Galactica. I think a new and darker twist, such as Galactica, would be a kick ass show.

Be interested to know if this has been discussed or, as i imagine at this stage, to much going on with the film itself.

Cheers

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:16 am

Glen has chosen to pursue feature films more so then television. NBCU holds the television rights to Knight Rider, I would not expect to see a Glen Larson Knight Rider tv show happen because he doesn't have television rights and the only way this would occur is if he and NBCU came to an agreement which isn't likely to happen. He's more likely to explore his Knight Rider universe in movie sequels on the big screen rather then the small one.

He can also explore the direct to dvd movie market as well.

=VK=

AusKnight2K
Operative

Post by AusKnight2K » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:04 am

victor kros wrote:Brand new car inspired by the original. It will be shiny black, have a red ocillating scanner light in the grill and be named KITT.
Please do your best to find one that has concealed pop up headlights (or even recessed so that they can be covered over) to continue the sleekness of the car as a whole that Pontiac made their own back in the day! :wink:

If the new car is called KITT, does that mean it will have the ever evolving and learning original CPU that we love and therefore will be voiced by William Daniels?

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:21 pm

If the new car is called KITT, does that mean it will have the ever evolving and learning original CPU that we love and therefore will be voiced by William Daniels?
I cannot comment on that question at this time. I already addressed the pop-up headlight concern in another thread, it's either the KITT Poll or one of the Mustang threads.

=VK=