NBC airs 30 sec Promo

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Duster
Rookie
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: NBC airs 30 sec Promo

Post by Duster » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:23 pm

Nice one! I hope somebody puts it online in a better quality soon. I'm under the impression it was filmed off a TV, maybe that's why the voice sounds different to the first commercial.

Shapeshifter, are there more commercials coming more frequently now?

tamatt27
FLAG Assistant

Post by tamatt27 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:39 pm

I agree. It doens't sound much like Will Arnett, but it very well could be the poor quality. I don't like how half of it seems to be a commercial for the Mustang :roll: What the Mustang needs is: :dash:
KNIGHT RIDER RELOADED is a series of movies on Youtube to represent a different creative avenue to the Knight Rider we knew in 2008-09.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tamatt27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shapeshifter
FLAG Recruit

Post by Shapeshifter » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:50 pm

pheonix_knight wrote:who else would it be??

will arnett HAS been cast as the voice of KITT hasnt he??
Yes, Will is definitely the voice now. But, as Neps said, the voice may not have been locked when they did the promo. I'll try to find out...

Duster
Rookie

Post by Duster » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:44 pm

Here is the commercial in much better quality:

http://jalopnik.com/341198/30+second-kn ... t-in-sight

davejames
Rookie

Post by davejames » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:00 pm

I don't know... sounded like Wil Arnett to me. Just speaking in a flatter tone than usual and heavily filtered.

And I think they probably wanted to go for a more aggressive, KARR-style voice to fit the tougher and meaner looking car they're using. Frankly I think he sounded pretty cool.

Mr.MojoRisin
Volunteer

Post by Mr.MojoRisin » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:02 pm

The voice does sound differant than the teaser trailer. Maybe they have the voice change during the show for some reason.

davejames
Rookie

Post by davejames » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:04 pm

Duster wrote:Here is the commercial in much better quality:

http://jalopnik.com/341198/30+second-kn ... t-in-sight
Ok wow, the voice in this cleaned up version sounds COMPLETELY different. Clearly it's not Arnett's voice, and it's not filtered whatsoever.

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:34 pm

That link also raised a very good point.....wheres the turbo-boost??? please tell me we get to see some KR stunts in this KR film, it only makes sense!

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

Matthew
Site Administrator
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Matthew » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:36 pm

What's really disappointing me is the plugging of standard specs. 550bhp is the norm for a Shelby GT500KR, just as race tuned suspension and Xenon headlights are, and to be quiet frank, I'd expect night vision to be a standard feature as well. Basically, whilst I have no issue with the Mustang itself, I do take issue with the seemingly mundane nature of the features that it has onboard. I mean, in this day and age, would we expect anything less than a high speed internet connection, especially when the Knight 2000 already had that on board when KITT contacted IRMA in 1984!?

Matt
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:18 pm

In fairness, this commercial was probably created by their ad department - which usually has their own opinion on things. Also think back to the 1982 Pilot - how little did we know about KITT compared to what we know after four seasons.

I think we need to think of the audience this was aired in. NFL fans. So they make it look like a badass car commercial with a little twist. It's not until you get halfway through do you realize it's not a real car. Even shapehsifter fell for it!

Neil

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant

Post by JJSoCrazy » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:23 pm

I am a little confused. I believe that the videos are different and one was fixed which I believe is the Jalopnik one. Yes they sound different entirely and one may have been recorded off the TV, but the ending is quite different in each if you take a close look. Also I think I like the Youtube version better, it fits the role of the car with the aggressive/high-tech/A.I. sounding voice, hopefully that is the one and that will be Will Arnett's voice filtered I would assume.

I am also uspet that they don't have the scanner running at all times nor the dash with CGI. I guess because it was shot a month ago they didn't do much yet but the show better have it.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:33 pm

good catch there jjsocrazy - the font and effects of the last 5 seconds are completely different. the jalopnik one isn't using the new knight rider font and it also has a glitch (switching from knight rider and feburary glitch like). Jalopnik probably got a hold of an early version of the teaser and put it up because of the quality.

I guess we'll just need a new version off the TV direct to settle. I'm DVR'ing American Gladiators tonight - and I will put up a new version of the commercial inputted directly in the computer if it airs. (which would probably be around midnight est - I've got plans this evening)

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:40 pm

*Copies and paste the transcript from jalopnik.com.*
Finally, a motorcar that defines indulgence. 550 horsepower...standard. Racing-tuned suspension...standard. Xenon headlamps with Infrared night vision...standard. Metallic paint with nanotech-enhanced camouflage, access to military satellite...imaging...self-regenerating and damage...FBI network...high-speed internet...solar-powered hybrid engine...artificial intelligence...voice-activated GPS...standard. Driver? Optional. But really...enough about me.
When I first saw the Youtube link I did think I was once again like watching a Ford commercial for the first few seconds and then the next thought was "O_o WTH? KARR?". While the higher quality version at least didn't sound as odd, it still doesn't sound like Arnett, that voice is just too "warm" IMO. So even though it'd be easy to dub over the dialog, I'm pretty sure that wasn't his voice.

At least this seems to answer the extent of the nanotech use and there won't be any absurd shape shifting from it at least I hope not. Metallic paint mention leads me to believe the car will have the MBS with maybe the nanotech somehow working under it? So the car only changes color or whatever. >_> Then again probably not and probably just mentioned as a selling point for the car Ford wants to sell.

Too much "standard" stuff, annoying and there's pretty much no doubt to me that this is going to be a two hour Ford commercial since they're selling it that way. Someone should inform them that 550 HP isn't impressive in the fantasy world of Knight Rider and the "solar-powered hybrid engine" thing sounds like even more advertising, a marriage if you will combining GE with solar power (which they're heavily invested in) and hybrid which of course is the Ford end on it. If this wasn't going to be a glorified Ford commercial, it seems like they would take the specs of KITT from the original show and make them better or at least equal.

I can already see a backlash if this sort of thing continues. Maybe just the "standard" stuff is things that only are accessed while not in the horridly named "Attack Mode". At least I hope so because when KR nerds compare attributes, KI3K (yes I'm going to start calling it that even though it does look like "Kick") isn't going to stand a chance.

Maybe the jalopnik one is older, though I really hope they don't have the car sound how it does on the Youtube version, it really does sound too much like what KARR would sound like.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Matthew
Site Administrator

Post by Matthew » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:03 pm

neps wrote:In fairness, this commercial was probably created by their ad department - which usually has their own opinion on things. Also think back to the 1982 Pilot - how little did we know about KITT compared to what we know after four seasons.

I think we need to think of the audience this was aired in. NFL fans. So they make it look like a badass car commercial with a little twist. It's not until you get halfway through do you realize it's not a real car. Even shapehsifter fell for it!

Neil
You do have a good point Neil, but it just feels too ordinary for my liking, even when taking into account that it was aired during an NFL game. After all, the GPS is just a modern day homing device, and the nanotech enhanced metallic paint is a huge step backwards from the mirrored finish that was bonded into the structure of the original.

As much as I’d like to believe that the specs were nothing more than a red herring, since they match up with the Popular Mechanics article, I think it’s fair to say that they’re correct, at least when it comes to working within established parameters.

Matt

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:04 pm

It does tempt me to start calling it Ford Rider....

I'm going to miss those times when people were in shock of the car doing things a normal car couldn't do. The thing that is standing out right now is the end of "White-Line Warriors" (yes I looked the name up) there was this guy with an older muscle car messing with KITT over the course of the entire episode and ended with the guy challenging Michael to a race. In reality the Trans-Am would have probably been smoked but of course on the show KITT was pretty much gone before the guy could even step on the gas and the look on his face.

The new car is seeming a lot less special.

EDIT: Added more.
Last edited by PHOENIXZERO on Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant

Post by JJSoCrazy » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:11 pm

neps wrote:good catch there jjsocrazy - the font and effects of the last 5 seconds are completely different. the jalopnik one isn't using the new knight rider font and it also has a glitch (switching from knight rider and feburary glitch like). Jalopnik probably got a hold of an early version of the teaser and put it up because of the quality.

I guess we'll just need a new version off the TV direct to settle. I'm DVR'ing American Gladiators tonight - and I will put up a new version of the commercial inputted directly in the computer if it airs. (which would probably be around midnight est - I've got plans this evening)
Yea I am gonna be DVR'ing in HD for the show tonight too, lol nice term DVR'ing I like it! Hopefully I catch it if I get a chance to watch it.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:20 pm

PHOENIXZERO wrote:Metallic paint mention leads me to believe the car will have the MBS with maybe the nanotech somehow working under it? So the car only changes color or whatever. >_> Then again probably not and probably just mentioned as a selling point for the car Ford wants to sell.
Actually the nanotechnology and healing abilities lead me to believe that there isn't a Molecular Bonded Shell. I'd personally rather see bullets deflecting off the car as opposed to them getting absorbed and healed like Wolverine in X-Men. I don't see how the MBS can be applied on a car that shifts shapes. It will be a shame if the MBS is no longer a main feature of the vehicle as it was so prominent and revolutionary in the original series. If they're making the Knight 3000 out to be the most advanced vehicle of our time, it seems to be taking a step backwards from the Knight 2000, which couldn't be dented, let alone "injured" (for the most part, anyway).
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Matthew
Site Administrator

Post by Matthew » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:23 pm

PHOENIXZERO wrote:I'm going to miss those times when people were in shock of the car doing things a normal car couldn't do. The thing that is standing out right now is the end of "White-Line Warriors" (yes I looked the name up) there was this guy with an older muscle car messing with KITT over the course of the entire episode and ended with the guy challenging Michael to a race. In reality the Trans-Am would have probably been smoked but of course on the show KITT was pretty much gone before the guy could even step on the gas and the look on his face.
White Line Warriors is actually the second season episode set in a coastal town that's plagued by robberies that occur during street races. The episode you're thinking of is The Nineteenth Hole. Image

I do see you're point though, thus far, the Knight 3000 isn't giving off that super car killer vibe that the original KITT did with his aircraft derived turbine engine, and non-existent top speed.

Matt

Shapeshifter
FLAG Recruit

Post by Shapeshifter » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:39 pm

Everyone, relax.

Got some info...that was definitely NOT Will Arnet. NBC wanted to get something out in a hurry because of the incredible response to the 15 second spot...the CGI guys have not even gotten involved yet. That's done after the show is basically cut together. Nothing you're seeing now bears any relation to what you're going to see on the show as far as the car's interior goes. As far as what KITT will ultimately be able to do, just wait, don't speculate. They're just getting started.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:07 pm

Thanks for the clarification Shapeshifter.

We're still a month away from the show being seen - so this is going to be rough with everyone constantly speculating and not getting a whole lot of answers. I think we all need to agree to take a breath and relax about most this stuff - cause we still got a ways to go.

But as long as we keep it friendly and cordial - there is no reason for friendly debate. :)

I say it with great confidence that there will be a form of MBS and that 550 hp wont tell anything on its top speed. If they're doing enough to continue it in the same story line as the original series - there will for sure be bullets bouncing off KITT, I think I can trust them enough to at least do that.

But I think NBC might want to stop making these fluff commercials and work towards the actual trailer - I'm not sure how much more of these my heart can take. :)

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:47 pm

neps wrote:there is no reason for friendly debate. :)
I realize that's a typo, but it made me laugh. :lol:

It was a pretty clever commercial actually. I do wish they used Will Arnett for it, but clever idea. Even back when I said I didn't like the Mustang I said it wouldn't keep me from watching and forming an opinion based on everything else. And I'd be lying if i said I weren't pretty excited. I really like the design of the scanner too, it's every bit as ominous as the original (at first glance).

I do agree though...I wanna see a Turbo Boost, lol.
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:04 pm

Matthew wrote:
White Line Warriors is actually the second season episode set in a coastal town that's plagued by robberies that occur during street races. The episode you're thinking of is The Nineteenth Hole. Image

I do see you're point though, thus far, the Knight 3000 isn't giving off that super car killer vibe that the original KITT did with his aircraft derived turbine engine, and non-existent top speed.

Matt

Haha, yeah I kind of stopped looking after the first hit I got on "race" and I remembered the racing while something else was going on, I was thinking there was more than just the crime bosses doing something. I remembered the "hole" thing and it supposedly being related to a golf course but yeah like I said I pretty much stopped looking after I read the description for that episode.

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:13 pm

Got some info...that was definitely NOT Will Arnet. NBC wanted to get something out in a hurry because of the incredible response to the 15 second spot...the CGI guys have not even gotten involved yet.
- I thought you said this promo was created a month ago? If they had such a great response to the 15 second teaser (Which I assume was made second) which had Arnett's voice in it, why would they get this out in a hurry if they already have Will Arnett for the voice now? Why would they use someone else's voice in the first place for the second revision? I would have thought the 15 second spot would have been done first, followed by the 30 second spot based on the reception to the first tv spot. Something doesn't add up here.

If you have a stellar 15 second teaser spot, why put out a weaker 30 second spot? That's taking a step backward.

I will venture to guess there most certainly will be shapeshifting based on the various reviews of the script, which they cannot change. I agree with Lost Knight that there probably will not be MBS but some sort of hybrid attempt at creating a replacement for it which I will assume is the nanotech armor. Case in point, if this is a continuation of the old series and there is no mention of a casting role for "Devon" it means either he's dead or missing and if so then it makes sense without someone cast as "Elizabeth Knight", they cannot (from a story standpoint) recreate the MBS from the past because they do not have the recipe for the Knight Compound to do so.

Of course this is just theory, but I think it fits the profile of what they're showing and what has been said about it thus far.

=VK=
:dash:

Shapeshifter
FLAG Recruit

Post by Shapeshifter » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:44 pm

victor kros wrote:
Got some info...that was definitely NOT Will Arnet. NBC wanted to get something out in a hurry because of the incredible response to the 15 second spot...the CGI guys have not even gotten involved yet.
- I thought you said this promo was created a month ago? If they had such a great response to the 15 second teaser (Which I assume was made second) which had Arnett's voice in it, why would they get this out in a hurry if they already have Will Arnett for the voice now? Why would they use someone else's voice in the first place for the second revision? I would have thought the 15 second spot would have been done first, followed by the 30 second spot based on the reception to the first tv spot. Something doesn't add up here.

If you have a stellar 15 second teaser spot, why put out a weaker 30 second spot? That's taking a step backward.
I pass things along as I hear them, and since I DON'T WORK FOR NBC, my information is second hand and can be spotty. I reason I said they shot it a month ago was I heard about the general outline of the spot about a month ago, when I was told they shot it, and then didn't hear any more it, i was actually suprised when I saw the 15 sec spot, I was expecting the "plot" of the 30 second one. I don't know what the marketing guys are up to, I guess things change all the time, Victor. If you really want to play "gotcha", I'll do my best to keep up.

Really enjoying your "storm", by the way.

Cobra
Volunteer

Post by Cobra » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:04 pm

This was definitely a step backwards. I am trying to be optimistic here but the more I see, the less impressed I am.

In case anyone hasn't noticed it yet, YES, that is a "momo" steering wheel in KITT (unless I am seeing things).
Why is this show experimenting so much knowing the kind of backlash this will cause?! 550HP, Xenon lights?! Why don't they just turn KITT into a NASCAR and stick all the sponsor's decals on it. They might as well seeing where this is all going. Are they seriously thinking this has potential?

I understand why they chose a Mustang now with articles surfacing clarifying the issue, but if the car looks nothing like the original KITT (boxy vs. sleek), you would at least think they would have enough common sense to realize that they should incorporate as much of the original powers of KITT (with a modern upgrade) into the car so people can at least recognize KITT under that boxy black hunk of metal. No, now there is no mention of SPM or Turbo Boost, instead we get........Xenon lights and high-speed Internet and "self-healing" (I hope they don't mean self-therapy)!!!!!....Yes, shocking indeed. They should have mentioned the leather interior as well, I mean after all, the old KITT didn't have leather. *sarcasm*

If this show ends up being anything like a commercial, I can assure you Ford and NBC will lose in the end. People nowadays will NOT buy a product that is shoved down our throats and that toy with shows we hold dear and which we as children grew up watching without the tainted corporate dollars that spew out garbage on TV nowadays to advertise their inferior products. The more I see that cobra insignia on KITT, the more angry I get about KITT being a billboard for Ford, and the less I would recommend a Ford to anyone (family or friends). Not a good way to advertise if you ask me.

People are not stupid, we don't need a Cobra insignia on the vehicle to know its a Mustang, we don't need to know about Xenon lights and other nonsense to grow an interest in the car. The original KITT had nothing marketing Pontiac on it and yet people still knew it was a Pontiac Trans-Am. Even with Pontiac's insistence not to refer to it as a Trans-Am, people still knew it was a Trans-Am. Are the marketing team at Ford and the creative team at NBC that devoid of common sense? Do they really think turning KITT into a billboard for their crappy car is going to make me want one, rather than make me and the millions of Knight Rider fans worldwide grow a distaste for a company that has turned a show we loved as kids into a commercial?

A word of advice to the fellows at NBC: There are certain things that you do not put a price tag on, that should never be sacrificed for the sake of a few extra petty dollars and sponsors. I would rather wait than to rush out a half-a$$ed product that will only anger fans of the franchise and in the process sell out to the highest bidders to get the much needed funds to rush out the product as soon as possible. No product I have seen that has been rushed out has garnered any long-term success. If the aim of the pilot is to hit the target of becoming a prime time TV series, then they are hitting all the wrong cords and missing the very core of what made the old series so special. No, massive corporate advertisements wasn't it.

I can only hope for a miracle now.

Regards,
Cobra