NBC on Mustang: GM dropped the ball

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

neps
Site Administrator
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

NBC on Mustang: GM dropped the ball

Post by neps » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:06 pm

from Jalopnik: http://jalopnik.com/340660/how-kitt-became-a-mustang
Confirming our suspicions about the Ford-NBC-Knight Rider Deal, AdAge is reporting how GM dropped the ball on picking up the Knight Rider tie-in and how Ford lunged at the opportunity. According to the article, Ford took note of the success of the Transformers film in pimping out the full line of GM vehicles and decided to buy its way in by making an offer NBC Universal couldn't refuse. Though there's no solid number on how much advertising Ford promised NBC if it used the Mustang, the co-chair of NBC Entertainment called it "enormous."

The show's executive producer also pointed out that neither the Camaro nor the Challenger were going to be out in time for the show, and that the Crossfire was going out of production — though we can't imagine that anyone was actually considering the Crossfire. That left the Mustang as the most obvious domestic choice, though it has been argued that the Corvette could have fit the bill. Anyone shocked it came down to the money?

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: NBC on Mustang: GM dropped the ball

Post by Victor Kros » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:11 pm

checkmate.

=VK=

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:38 pm

here is the full article from Adage (http://adage.com/madisonandvine/article ... _id=122871):
How a Mustang Muscled Out a Pontiac to Be the Next KITT
After Watching Rival GM Score With 'Transformers,' Ford Fought for 'Knight Rider'

By Claude Brodesser-Akner

Published: January 03, 2008
LOS ANGELES -- Among the many fun buttons frequently pressed on the dashboard of KITT, the sleek, ebony car-hero of the 1980s series "Knight Rider," the turbo boost function remains both the most memorable and the most enduring: When engaged, it was used to hurdle the car over virtually any obstacle, from gaping ravines to gun-toting libertines.
KITT was in its previous incarnation a modified 1982 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am. But Ford got past GM and now the hero car is a Mustang Shelby.
KITT was in its previous incarnation a modified 1982 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am. But Ford got past GM and now the hero car is a Mustang Shelby.
Photo Credit: NBC/Paul Drinkwater

Next month, KITT's turbo boost will again be employed to jump over an age-old Hollywood impediment: creating a hit series.

Twenty-five years after its debut, "Knight Rider" is back at NBC, which will air a two-hour movie of the week debuting on Feb. 17. (And yes, the Hoff makes an appearance or two.)

Original inspiration
Asked what inspired him to the original "Knight Rider," TV writer-producer Glen A. Larson once famously explained, "I wanted to do 'The Lone Ranger' with a car."

The original red-eyed KITT is best remembered as the modified 1982 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am with a smarmy-voiced A.I. and an interior like Darth Vader's bathroom.

For this go 'round, Ford Motor Co.'s Mustang Shelby GT500KR will be playing the role of Michael Knight's trusty steed -- and both General Motors corp. and Mr. Larson likely wouldn't mind firing a silver bullet straight into it its chassis.

For while NBC's "Knight Rider" is at full gallop with the latest Ford pony car, Mr. Larson's planned rival feature film project for "Knight Rider" is idling at the Weinstein Co., stuck in neutral thanks to the Writers Guild of America strike.

Curiously, a mélange of GM products, including a virtual KITT clone, a redesigned Chevy Camaro, were peppered throughout DreamWorks' massive hit "Transformers" last summer. (GM sales were up 2.7% in August 2007 through October 2007 compared with same time frame a year earlier, with just over 1 million GM vehicles sold.)

So how did GM -- a company repped in Hollywood by the William Morris Agency, Mr. Silverman's alma mater, and which already created the car -- get caught so flat-footed?

Victim of its own strategy
Ironically enough, it might have been the victim of its own market strategy, one that hinges on restricting the development of new cars for its many marquees: GM has just reported a 4.4% decline in December sales and a 6% drop for the full year, after positioning the Chevrolet brand as an entry-level vehicle, Pontiac and Buick as mid-luxury cars, and Cadillac as its luxury brand, grouped with Saab and Hummer.

"The old 'Knight Rider' ride? That car doesn't exist, in essence," explains the show's executive producer, Dave Bartis, a partner with Hollywood director Doug Liman in Dutch Oven Prods. He added: "When you narrow it down to American-made, two-door muscle cars, we were left with one choice from each company."

(Simplifying matters, Chrysler plans to cease production on its Crossfire coupe next year, and GM's Camaro won't be available until much later this year.)

"Coming off a summer of 'Transformers,' it's obvious how important this space is," says Al Uzielli, senior advisor to Ford Global Brand Entertainment. "We approached this really strategically and attacked it on all fronts: Our media buyers knew there had to be some advertising commitment to get involved."

While Ford would not confirm just how much advertising was required of it to displace GM's ur-KITT, Ben Silverman, co-chairman of NBC Entertainment, called the automaker's commitment "enormous."

Prominent sponsorship
Mr. Uzielli did say the deal extends far beyond merely putting the Mustang GT as the KITT car; numerous other Ford brands will be featured in the movie of the week, as well as several Ford spots that don't feature the Mustang specifically. Should "Knight Rider" be ordered as a fall series, Ford would again be a prominent sponsor, in much the same way it backs "American Idol."

Mr. Silverman said that's a change in how NBC has done business with advertisers, too.

"It's essential," he said, "that we initiate dialogue with ad partners early and throughout process."

Of course, should NBC order up a full season of "Knight Rider," Ford's gain would be Mr. Larson's loss: Explains one film producer, "If it goes to series, it kills the movie."

A spokeswoman for the Weinstein Co. said that it had already discussed its project with two automakers, and would resume active development immediately after the WGA strike.

Mr. Larson reportedly had been approached by NBC about ditching Weinstein Co. to set up his long-gestating film project at NBC Universal; when he declined to do so, the movie blog Ain't It Cool News reported last fall, NBC steamed ahead with its own "Knight Rider" pilot, to which it retained the TV rights in the hopes of blunting, if not preventing, its opening.

Mr. Silverman called that scenario "inaccurate" and added that the decision to proceed with "Knight Rider" as a movie of the week was made "in a vacuum" and without contact with Mr. Larson.

Agents for Mr. Larson didn't return calls; nor would at the Weinstein Co. would not comment on Mr. Larson's alleged contretemps with NBC. But what is clear is that Ford won't likely be Mr. Larson's choice, now that it's part of the NBC series.

Said Mr. Uzielli of his early talks with Weinstein Co., "It's gotten extremely quiet; we never heard back."

Promotions conundrum
In the meanwhile, NBC is still facing a promotion conundrum: On the one hand, with a dearth of new content available due to the writers strike, "Knight Rider" could do exceptionally well with audiences starved for scripted material.

On the other, the general flight from prime time means that promoting "Knight" presents its own special set of difficulties: If the TV writers strike drags on into the spring, viewership at broadcast networks is expected to decline on average 9% from January through May, according to estimates made by agency Magna Global.

Vince Manze, president-program planning, scheduling and strategy for NBC Entertainment, said "it probably will take more outside marketing if the [ratings] numbers dip."

Already, the strike has already deflated NBC's original plan to promote "Knight Rider": An "'80s Week" of programming stunts would have deployed Reagan-era favorites such as Felicia Rashaad of "The Cosby Show" on "Law and Order" and attired the "Deal or No Deal" models in "Flashdance" garb. But with writers picketing, NBC retreads such as "Bionic Woman" just can't be tweaked.

Still, NBC's Mr. Manze also sees its Ford pact for "Knight Rider" presaging additional, comprehensive deal-making with Madison Avenue that goes beyond traditional product placement towards an early-on involvement with advertisers.

"This was an effort by everyone -- sales, programming and marketing, and it represents the future of good, natural integration," said Mr. Manze. "Here, the car really is the star."

scottab21
FLAG Recruit

Post by scottab21 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:41 pm

No, I am NOT shocked that it came down to money. Doesn't most everything come down to money, it's just business. I really don't care, and I doubt many will. I will still be watching Feb. 17nth, along with many others that anxiously await the return of our beloved franchise, :spm: 8) and I can't wait. :dash:

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:05 pm

They can't reach Glen because he's out of town in Hawaii. I've forwarded this article to the proper people. Thanks for posting it. You'll notice it confirms that the feature film cannot move foward because of the WGA strike and the car for the feature film KITT is not decided. I'm glad they denied the accusation, it just makes our work easier.

=VK=
:dash:
Last edited by Victor Kros on Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:22 pm

from a fan point of view, relaunching the franchise by any means can only be good, surely????

of course as long as the results are good...

Victor, excuse my ignorance (and of course my apologies the question offends) but who are you in relation to any of this???

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:30 pm

I suggest you go back and read the various posts I have made, "Greetings I am Victor Kros" is probably a good place to start.

=VK=

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:45 pm

read it, not one for short punchy soundbites are you???

thats not a 'dig' at you just an observation...

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:47 pm

He's Glen's pool boy. :D J/K

This is pretty much what I expected, not surprised and it pretty much confirmed that this is going to be a two hour Ford commercial and the series will continue that was also... Well, on the bright side, when a new Mustang is released (and hopefully looks better) the car will likely change.

However, if they make it too blatant (and I'm sure they will) it could backfire.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

scottab21
FLAG Recruit

Post by scottab21 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:53 pm

PHOENIXZERO wrote:He's Glen's pool boy. :D J/K

This is pretty much what I expected, not surprised and it pretty much confirmed that this is going to be a two hour Ford commercial and the series will continue that was also... Well, on the bright side, when a new Mustang is released (and hopefully looks better) the car will likely change.

However, if they make it too blatant (and I'm sure they will) it could backfire.
Of course all of this is speculation at this point, except the part about VK being Glen's pool boy... :lol: ...j/k!

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:04 pm

Wow, I botched that paragraph something fierce. No point in fixing it now, I've been quoted! :shock:
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:05 pm

I am not Glen's "pool boy", I'm his cabana boy there is a difference! j/k

=VK=

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:06 pm

werent the cars in ALL our favourite 80s shows sponsored by one of the BIG 3????

im sure there were notices in the closing credits of the shows about 'vehicles being furnished by.... '(fill in necessary blank)

so why all the derisory comments about a 2hr ford commercial???

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:32 pm

I don't recall the big 80's tv shows shoving the brand names down our throats. In fact I think later on in the series Pontiac requested that Knight Rider stop referring to the car as a trans am and they ended up calling it a black t-top. Not to mention I don't recall any 80's Knight Rider teaser commercials showing off the Pontiac emblems and force feeding the brand name of the car to us unless you count the one teaser where Michael calls KITT Car and Drivers car of the year for 1985... and yet again he doesn't mention what kind of car KITT is. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDoVV5Y8FkA Getting more in depth, most of the songs in those tv shows were covers as well. They kept everything pretty generic as far as I can recall and the show was about the story line and such.... not about product placement. Again maybe I'm wrong... just going based off what I can recall. Was only 25 years ago lol

Further more, if KITT would have been any other car I honestly don't think I would have been a big of a fan as I am now. The car was perfect and what drew me in was my pre existing love for the 1977 car in Smokey and the Bandit. The 82 was just so sleek and way ahead of its time. Mustangs have always been boxy... could you honestly have seen and accepted kitt as a 1982 fox body mustang.... :shock: I couldn't.
The Knight Rider Fan Game Project:
http://www.theknightrider.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:45 pm

But here's the flip side:

"That other car is going to give Trans Am a terrible reputation." - Trust Doesn't Rust
"What was that?!" "A Pontiac." - Inside Out

Are those product placements, or just great lines of dialogue? I say the latter. And lots of characters told Michael what a beautiful car he had. Product placement? And then later, didn't everyone else cringe like I did every time someone referred to KITT as a "T-Top"? People don't talk like that. They would say "Trans Am".

Granted, KITT didn't have the Pontiac logos. Point VERY well taken. But let's wait and see whether the Mustang brand is being forced down our throats.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:49 pm

msKEN wrote:Mustangs have always been boxy... could you honestly have seen and accepted kitt as a 1982 fox body mustang.... :shock: I couldn't.
Well I'd hate for this thread to descend into yet another mustangs suck thread, here is a car that is x times better. But the '80s Mustangs were awful in design, I'll give you that. But I think they've certainly gotten better since then.

I'll have to see how bad a 2hr commercial this becomes. I hope its not like American Idol - from what I recall they had these cheesy Ford Focus commercials that were just the contestants trying to act natural at the sequester house.

But if they don't do too many ford emblem shots (like the teaser) i'll probably be ok with.

Of course we can spin this positively and make a drinking game out of it. Every time they say ford, take a shot. Every time they show an emblem on the car - chug a beer.

Neil

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:01 pm

Mr. Uzielli did say the deal extends far beyond merely putting the Mustang GT as the KITT car; numerous other Ford brands will be featured in the movie of the week, as well as several Ford spots that don't feature the Mustang specifically. Should "Knight Rider" be ordered as a fall series, Ford would again be a prominent sponsor, in much the same way it backs "American Idol."
I think the product placement is extreme enough with the Mustang and its emblems/badges remaining on the car. But to see just how deep Ford's commitment seems to have gone with this project, I do have to say it seems overwhelming. I also feel that NBC Universal deserves any potential backlash for—to put it bluntly—being bought off (yes, that's exactly what happened). But it doesn't seem like NBCU is as concerned about their reputation as they are about ratings and money, which is how this situation came about in the first place.

One advantage the feature film will have over a potential television series is that I feel a series has less of a chance for long-term survival, especially on a ratings-challenged network like NBC (in comparison to competing networks). It will also be interesting to see how a Knight Rider series will hold up later down the road when this seemingly never-ending writer's strike finally ends and scripted competition makes a return to television. Science-fiction shows have traditionally never survived long on NBC. The question to me is: Could a backdoor pilot/single season hold up in comparison to a major motion picture? Perhaps it's not fair to compare and contrast the two projects since they are creatively and financially worlds apart, but that's exactly what die-hard fans and critics will inevitably do because it feels too natural to do so.

A $100 million-budget movie can easily earn money as a summer blockbuster (which I hope is the type of film Glen is shooting for it to be). And even if it doesn't, there are DVD residual sales which can make up for any potential losses at the box office if it happens to tank. This is not knocking the NBCU project, but in all honesty I just can't see Knight Rider as a series lasting longer than a single season, let alone several. And that's NOT because of the Mustang; it's because of the type of show it is. Is this really the type of franchise that can have the longevity of 7+ seasons? I even feel that the beloved original series ran its course in just four seasons. :shock: On the other hand, I feel the feature film has a better shot at longevity and having green-lit sequels. I'm talking more about the franchise's reputation and legacy here, not the financing behind the projects. Then again, the original series was successful as a series and not a movie, even if it was short-lived.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

ckeller22
Operative

Post by ckeller22 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:34 pm

Unfortunately that's they way the world works these days.Hey back in the 80's we didn't have digital cable like we have today we had antennas and than a two way box. Now we have Cabelvision with optimum digital cable. The world has changed. Back in the day Pontiac wanted nothing to do with advertising with Knight Rider. The producers tried to do the right thing and give Pontiac some attention when they referred to the car as a Trans Am and Pontiac got all huffy and told them to stop. Today everything is a commercial for a product. Companies fight it out to be in movies like Coke and Pepsi when you see a movie and a character picks a drink up it says Coke or it may say Pepsi instead of a generic name, (and they usually zoom in on it) I see it all the time in current movies(shows,etc.)Transformers..A great movie by the way was lassoed by GM and had all there products in the movie or close to it. So Ford partnered with NBCU for Knight Rider the telepic somebody was going to do it. Be happy a car company wants to be heavily invested in Knight Rider this time around unlike Pontiac the first time. I think I heard and I don't want to be steeping on Victor's toes but I think I heard Glen contacted Pontiac about building a new generation Trans Am for his movie and Pontiac said no they didn't want to have any involvement. So if this is true why is everybody on a kick with a company that has and still doesn't want anything to do with something we love. With that attitude we shouldn't want anything to do with Pontiac in any new incarnations of Kitt. Pontiac had there chance and dropped the ball as the tittle states. Any way Glen's car will probably be something outa sight and also partnered with a car company because that's the way it works.

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:42 pm

Of course, should NBC order up a full season of "Knight Rider," Ford's gain would be Mr. Larson's loss: Explains one film producer, "If it goes to series, it kills the movie."

A spokeswoman for the Weinstein Co. said that it had already discussed its project with two automakers, and would resume active development immediately after the WGA strike.

Mr. Larson reportedly had been approached by NBC about ditching Weinstein Co. to set up his long-gestating film project at NBC Universal; when he declined to do so, the movie blog Ain't It Cool News reported last fall, NBC steamed ahead with its own "Knight Rider" pilot, to which it retained the TV rights in the hopes of blunting, if not preventing, its opening.

Mr. Silverman called that scenario "inaccurate" and added that the decision to proceed with "Knight Rider" as a movie of the week was made "in a vacuum" and without contact with Mr. Larson.

Agents for Mr. Larson didn't return calls; nor would at the Weinstein Co. would not comment on Mr. Larson's alleged contretemps with NBC. But what is clear is that Ford won't likely be Mr. Larson's choice, now that it's part of the NBC series.

Said Mr. Uzielli of his early talks with Weinstein Co., "It's gotten extremely quiet; we never heard back."
I just want to point out that this statement right here proves they had no intention of honoring their contractual agreement to give Glen credit as executive producer. NBCU really screwed up doing this article and this Silverman guy is going to be in very hot water for making these statements.

Take these facts away from this article

1. The movie cannot proceed until after the WGA strike ends.
2. The car selection will begin after the WGA strike ends and has not been made.
3. NBCU did not intend to involve Glen in the backdoor pilot and intended to be in direct competition with his feature film (as per the statement by one of it's execs)
4. Glen isn't there because he's been in Hawaii.

These are some things I have said for a month now that have been confirmed as true.

=VK=

Nelson B
Operative

Post by Nelson B » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:06 pm

I have a question for you Victor. Why can't the Wienstiens start casting for the movie and pick the car for kitt? Why do they have to wait for the writers strike to end?

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:15 pm

The script has to be revised and completed and then approved by Glen, TWC and whoever they choose to direct and that can't happen until the WGA strike is over. I think they could start looking for a car while this is going on and start building some pre-production artwork but in the end it's up to them and how they want to proceed. Casting on the other hand won't happen until they have a completed script so they know what kind of characters to cast for.

=VK=

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Post by seeker78 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:49 pm

I totally agree with your perspective on this neps, and Victor's as well.

but if ford put up the most money, that just says it had to be a ford, NBC should have pushed for a less boxy Mustang.

You know if they hadn't boxified the Mustang in the latest incarnations, it wouldn't be as bad. The previous generation, especially Mustang GTs, was far less boxy.

But even the current Mustang GT looks way better than the Shelby Mustang, in my opinion.

Still, there are lots of car enthusiasts on here who think the Shelby Mustang is just fine, and I have to admit that after having seen it in i am legend, my own opinion has softened somewhat.

btw how did the original KITT end up as a 1982 Trans Am? Wasn't that money as well?

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:18 am

neps wrote:
msKEN wrote:Mustangs have always been boxy... could you honestly have seen and accepted kitt as a 1982 fox body mustang.... :shock: I couldn't.
Of course we can spin this positively and make a drinking game out of it. Every time they say ford, take a shot. Every time they show an emblem on the car - chug a beer.

Neil
Once or twice, I can deal with it, but if they do it every other shot and then follow it with a Ford commercial, I'll go nuts. A drinking game could be deadly, I can imagine seeing the potential mass alcohol poisoning throughout the country.

Rookie

Post by 1982 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:44 am

msKEN wrote:
Further more, if KITT would have been any other car I honestly don't think I would have been a big of a fan as I am now. The car was perfect and what drew me in was my pre existing love for the 1977 car in Smokey and the Bandit. The 82 was just so sleek and way ahead of its time. Mustangs have always been boxy... could you honestly have seen and accepted kitt as a 1982 fox body mustang.... :shock: I couldn't.
I agree. The 82 Trans Am was a perfect choice. It had it's own unique personality, that others didn't. The Mustang looked too much like the Charger.

Matthew
Site Administrator

Post by Matthew » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:05 am

It seems to me that even if Ford hadn't offered up a huge amount of money, the Mustang would have been the only real option available to NBC. Had Chrysler got the deal, and managed to create several Challenger’s, the exact same complaints would have been used due to it being a retro design, and with the Camaro still at least a year away, it wouldn't have even been an option since Transformers has the Concept locked up, so it would appear that we have the best car out of the options available to us, since having a two seater like the Corvette was obviously not an option since the Access Hollywood video on Justin's injury showed a scene with Mike Tracer, Sarah Graiman and Special Agent Carrie Rivai beside the Knight 3000 in a rather desolate looking setting.

Matt
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?