the Question no one has asked...

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Re: the Question no one has asked...

Post by pheonix_knight » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:36 pm

"The original (unproduced) script for Knight Rider 2000 planned a similar approach by introducing Devon's daughter Kyle, and acknowledging a private life we (the audience) never knew he had. I'm not keen on this kind of approach, but am intrigued to see what the writers ome up with."

Any more info on the 'other' KR2000 script????

scottab21
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by scottab21 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:52 pm

This should be interesting since it is a sequel approach. I'm just glad the Hoff will be in it, to sort of pass the torch. :)

Knight Rider Archive
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight Rider Archive » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:25 pm

The Knight Rider 2000 TV movie went through a lot of changes before hitting the screen. The whole project came about when David Hasselhoff met NBC President Brandon Tartikoff in the mall... he told him about his travels around the world, and the huge following that Knight Rider had overseas. The show had been cancelled a couple of years before, and they decided that the time was right to bring it back as a TV movie.

The project was assigned to Michael Sloan, the well-known television writer-producer who had worked on The Equalizer, and was behind the slew of reunion movies for The Man from UNCLE, The Six Million Dollar Man and The Bionic Woman. He was also attached as Executive Producer, along with his collaborator Nigel Watts, and former Knight Rider producer Bernadette Joyce. His Knight Rider 2000 also borrowed elements from his other reunion-TV-movie scripts.

Set in the year 2000, the story begins with Devon Miles' return to the United States after several years away in Russia, setting up a new branch of the Knight Foundation. He finds that the US arm of F.L.A.G. has been subject to a hostile takeover, and its new director, Thomas Kleinman, has secured a contract to provide the military with an all-new supercar (or superweapon): the K72. K.I.T.T., now considered obsolete, is to be the new vehicle's prey in a cat-and-mouse test out in the desert. Because this is against everything Wilton Knight and her father believed in, Devon's daughter Kyle (a hot-shot mechanic and auto designer) sets about trying to convince the legendary Foundation operative Michael Knight to return to save K.I.T.T. from certain destruction. That is not as simple as it sounds... Michael Knight left the Foundation 15 years previously after a disastrous mission that saw K.I.T.T. wrecked and innocent lives lost. K.I.T.T. was salvaged and brought back to F.L.A.G., but Michael never returned. Will he come back? Can he save K.I.T.T.? Can he stop the K72?

They were about 10 days away from the start of production when NBC threw the project out. They eventually put a second version in development after Hasselhoff returned to the USA from a music tour in Europe, and that became the Knight Rider 2000 that ended up on TV. Hasselhoff said at the time that he was heartbroken because he was unable to produce the project as well as star in it (he had a bigger involvement in the 1990 script).

More information can be found in the Knight Rider 2000 section of my website.
- Paul
- http://www.knightriderarchives.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Amir
Operative

Post by Amir » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:00 pm

I certainly like that far better than what KR2000 turned out to be.

LadyV2000
FLAG Assistant

Post by LadyV2000 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:36 pm

Amir wrote:I certainly like that far better than what KR2000 turned out to be.
I second that.
Flyer Guy: "You really a talking car?"
KITT: "No. I'm a tight end for the Chicago Bears!"

scottab21
FLAG Recruit

Post by scottab21 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Knight Rider Archive wrote:
The Knight Rider 2000 TV movie went through a lot of changes before hitting the screen. The whole project came about when David Hasselhoff met NBC President Brandon Tartikoff in the mall... he told him about his travels around the world, and the huge following that Knight Rider had overseas. The show had been cancelled a couple of years before, and they decided that the time was right to bring it back as a TV movie.

The project was assigned to Michael Sloan, the well-known television writer-producer who had worked on The Equalizer, and was behind the slew of reunion movies for The Man from UNCLE, The Six Million Dollar Man and The Bionic Woman. He was also attached as Executive Producer, along with his collaborator Nigel Watts, and former Knight Rider producer Bernadette Joyce. His Knight Rider 2000 also borrowed elements from his other reunion-TV-movie scripts.

Set in the year 2000, the story begins with Devon Miles' return to the United States after several years away in Russia, setting up a new branch of the Knight Foundation. He finds that the US arm of F.L.A.G. has been subject to a hostile takeover, and its new director, Thomas Kleinman, has secured a contract to provide the military with an all-new supercar (or superweapon): the K72. K.I.T.T., now considered obsolete, is to be the new vehicle's prey in a cat-and-mouse test out in the desert. Because this is against everything Wilton Knight and her father believed in, Devon's daughter Kyle (a hot-shot mechanic and auto designer) sets about trying to convince the legendary Foundation operative Michael Knight to return to save K.I.T.T. from certain destruction. That is not as simple as it sounds... Michael Knight left the Foundation 15 years previously after a disastrous mission that saw K.I.T.T. wrecked and innocent lives lost. K.I.T.T. was salvaged and brought back to F.L.A.G., but Michael never returned. Will he come back? Can he save K.I.T.T.? Can he stop the K72?

They were about 10 days away from the start of production when NBC threw the project out. They eventually put a second version in development after Hasselhoff returned to the USA from a music tour in Europe, and that became the Knight Rider 2000 that ended up on TV. Hasselhoff said at the time that he was heartbroken because he was unable to produce the project as well as star in it (he had a bigger involvement in the 1990 script).

More information can be found in the Knight Rider 2000 section of my website.

Sounds like a good story, definitely better than we got stuck with (KR2000). Kinda makes me wonder what kind of vehicle the K72 would be... 8)