KR uk says cease and desist lawsuit?

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: Matthew, neps, Michael Pajaro

d_osborn
Operative
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 8:32 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Jonesboro, AR

Re: KR uk says cease and desist lawsuit?

Post by d_osborn » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:19 am

victor kros wrote:I assume that's a dvd still. His name must have been added in post then for the bonus disc because it didn't appear in the television airing that I can recall.

Thanks for pointing that out.

=VK=

I have an old recording of KR2000 from a mid-90's USA Network broadcast... he's credited there, as well. It must have been added after the initial NBC broadcast.

I studied entertainment law in my undergrad... this is all VERY interesting to me. VK, please give us updates when you can. 8)

victor kros wrote:...and if he wins his case (and he usually does win, ask George Lucas)...

This made me a tiny bit curious... I had never heard about the STAR WARS/BSG lawsuit. Cool read.

March2875
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 424
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Clifftop, WV

Re: KR uk says cease and desist lawsuit?

Post by March2875 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:25 am

Larson's name did indeed appear in Knight Rider 2000 just as depicted above in the ORIGINAL airing on NBC. I still have my original VHS copy I taped off of NBC the night it World Premired It indeed was there.

Nelson B
Operative
Posts: 229
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:05 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Vancouver BC Canada

Re: KR uk says cease and desist lawsuit?

Post by Nelson B » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:39 am

Uh oh looks like I stepped on Victors toes again. So George Lucas won a big settlement from Universal. You would think they would have learned from past mistakes. Guys you must relize Victor was 12 years old back in 1991 so he probably didn't pay that close attention to the credits what kid does. I know that I sure didn't.

User avatar
Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops
Posts: 2716
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:45 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: KR uk says cease and desist lawsuit?

Post by Lost Knight » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:52 am

victor kros wrote:I assume that's a dvd still. His name must have been added in post then for the bonus disc because it didn't appear in the television airing that I can recall.

Thanks for pointing that out.

=VK=


Incorrect; this is a screen cap from the original NBC airing in 1991:

Image
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

d_osborn
Operative
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 8:32 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Jonesboro, AR

Re: KR uk says cease and desist lawsuit?

Post by d_osborn » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:59 am

strange... the two screencaps have different styles of credits.

User avatar
Michael Pajaro
Advisor
Posts: 3082
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Re: KR uk says cease and desist lawsuit?

Post by Michael Pajaro » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:25 am

Producers, actors, studios... they sue each other all the time. It's the nature of the business. One week they're in court, the next they're signing partnerships. And sometimes people are essentially OBLIGATED to file a lawsuit, because if they don't they can potentially lose the right to sue in the future. (It's bizarre.)

In spite of all the attention we may be giving this conflict, I truly believe we have very little to worry about. The movie will air as scheduled in February, and then we'll have plenty of real material to debate.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

User avatar
Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
Posts: 1600
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:10 am
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: Knight Manor

Re: KR uk says cease and desist lawsuit?

Post by Victor Kros » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:35 am

Enough about the credit in Knight Rider 2000, I was told several times that Glen's name was left off, it appears I am wrong when it comes to "characters". Perhaps this was done in lue of a executive producer or created by (in general) credit.

Nelson you didn't step on my toes, just responding to your post. As far as the lawsuit goes, I've said what I've needed to about it and I will let you find out the rest early in 2008. Glad the information about Larson vs Lucas was inciteful for you d_osborn.

=VK=

March2875
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 424
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Clifftop, WV

Re: KR uk says cease and desist lawsuit?

Post by March2875 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:30 am

The fonts, typefaces, and such are different yes. The wording is the same. That is what I meant. Victor's right though we have beat this part of the discussion to death. There is nowhere else to take it but to drop it.

Shapeshifter
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 318
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:31 pm

Re: KR uk says cease and desist lawsuit?

Post by Shapeshifter » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:02 am

I guess if Victor weren't here there wouldn't be nearly as much to debate, so I thank him for that.

Victor, you said in an earlier post "He (Glen) has not received any credit on the NBCU backdoor pilot, nor was he given any options." My question is, HOW DO YOU KNOW?

The show has not AIRED yet. It was my understanding, based on talking to people who are actually working on the show, that he will receive co-creator credit, and executive producer credit. Why do you made a statement like the one above? You're reacting to something that HASN'T HAPPENED YET. If that's his basis for the dispute, it's going to blow up in his face.

User avatar
Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops
Posts: 2716
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:45 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: KR uk says cease and desist lawsuit?

Post by Lost Knight » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:36 pm

d_osborn wrote:strange... the two screencaps have different styles of credits.


For whatever reason, all subsequent airings and copies of Knight Rider 2000 feature slightly saturated color and were given a slightly grainy look. Why the credits and picture weren't preserved exactly how the film originally aired is anyone's guess.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Nelson B
Operative
Posts: 229
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:05 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Vancouver BC Canada

Re: KR uk says cease and desist lawsuit?

Post by Nelson B » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:58 pm

Boy is this going to be a long six weeks. Victor I really like your new avatar.

User avatar
Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
Posts: 1600
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:10 am
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: Knight Manor

Re: KR uk says cease and desist lawsuit?

Post by Victor Kros » Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:46 pm

Victor, you said in an earlier post "He (Glen) has not received any credit on the NBCU backdoor pilot, nor was he given any options." My question is, HOW DO YOU KNOW?


- Because Shapeshifter he personally tells me every time I see him about it. He also did nothing to contribute to the filming/writing/production of the backdoor pilot because he was NEVER OFFERED TO DO ANYTHING. He wasn't even given a script to give his notes! How dare you continue to question my credibility. You can't give someone an executive producer credit if they didn't DO ANYTHING because they had nothing TO READ to DO ANYTHING IN THE FIRST PLACE.

In name only, yeah IF YOU GET PAID FOR IT. He's not being paid and he was never asked to contribute, he was given an ultimatum. They told him you either give us the feature film rights and drop your deal with TWC or we COMPETE with you. You and others refuse to believe this, even though I have consistantly restated this situation time and time again. If Glen was mistaken about his credit rights, his lawyers wouldn't have been granted a cease and decist order in the first place.

It is possible they could come to some sort of settlement out of court before the show airs but at this point in time there are no plans to do so, he's furious.

The show has not AIRED yet. It was my understanding, based on talking to people who are actually working on the show, that he will receive co-creator credit, and executive producer credit. Why do you made a statement like the one above? You're reacting to something that HASN'T HAPPENED YET.


- The fact the show has not AIRED yet makes no difference, your understanding is WRONG and the people you're speaking to actually working on the show do not have a clue as to the legal parameters of the Larson contractual agreements. I make a statement like the one above because it is FACT and it WILL BE addressed in court early in 2008 whether you or anyone else believes me or not.

Let me ask you a question, how do YOU KNOW? Because someone told you? Have you spoken to the production house constructing the on screen credits? What proof do you have other then word of mouth that he's receiving these credits when the show does air? How would you be in a position to discuss who gets credit and who does not? Is security so lapse around there that just anyone can blab about the details of the backdoor pilot and not get in trouble for it? Oh that's right...you've read the script, you must be really high up on the totem pole there.

If that's his basis for the dispute, it's going to blow up in his face


- What is going to blow up in NBCU's face is the fact they willing ignored the cease and decist order and it's going to blow up in YOUR FACE when you find out that everything I have said over this matter is fact, even if at the moment there isn't substantial proof other then word of mouth to back it up.

I have been patient with you, I've even made agreements with you in order to avoid conflict on the boards. Hell I've even made agreements with the rest of the board to try and avoid conflict by saying I will stick to the feature film updates and take less of a hands on approach with other matters and while I do not agree with the ,"We love everything Knight Rider" approach, I can respect it.

When it comes to you, you're a pawn in a bigger man's game, a simple studio plant and you're the superstar here for the time being with your updates on the backdoor pilot, doing everything you can to get people to "give it a chance" and that doesn't bother me because if I were in your position I would be doing the same thing but I would also honor the privacy of my company projects. There will be a flipside to this situation as the year progresses, I assure you of that.

You evaded telling people you worked for the studio until I finally confronted you about it, unlike you I have not hid my involvement from the very first day I arrived here. I've kept my mouth shut about the particulars of our project, while you have leaked specific details of the NBCU production in order to gain popularity. If the studio knew what you were doing, they'd have plugged the leak in their department and if you do work for the studio you're probably in violation of an NDA by now.

NBCU has homefield advantage because of the WGA strike and they know that. They know that with the strike in place there's very little to compete with them on the television front and that's a smart move, but they also know that on the feature film front there's not much their competition can do to give people anything to compare against their vision of Knight Rider. TWC feels our script needs revisions and we cannot make those revisions until the strike is over.

I do not have concept art I can release, I do not have publicity photos, I do not have official teaser posters so I don't have much to compete against the onslaught of NBCU's marketing campaign. I have a banner and the script cover at this point, this will change as the year progresses as things are developed accordingly.

DO NOT attempt to confront me with these accusations until you have something more solid to contribute to your case. You are operating on assumption just as much as I am trying to tell people in advance what is coming in the future that I can say. The fact is I am on the inside track in the Larson camp and you are not. All you know is what NBCU is choosing to tell you and everyone else involved there.

Yes, I admit I was wrong about the Knight Rider 2000 "characters created by" credit and I've already admitted to that oversight but that is one mistake against countless times I have been accurate and consistant with my points made.

The NBCU pilot may be successful, it may fail but either way a legal reckoning is coming and the case built covers more then just Knight Rider and when it's all said and done you and everyone else are going to understand that Glen is that one man who will make a difference.

If you wish to futher discuss this matter, you can send me a PM.

=VK=
:dash:

Nelson B
Operative
Posts: 229
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:05 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Vancouver BC Canada

Re: KR uk says cease and desist lawsuit?

Post by Nelson B » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:44 pm

Well no wonder Glen is upset. Who does Universal think they are demanding that Glen give up the movie rights when they are rightfully his. Victor wouldn't Glen be opening himself up to a big fat lawsuit if he tried to back out of the Wienstien deal?

User avatar
knightprobe89
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 365
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:14 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: tucson, az

Re: KR uk says cease and desist lawsuit?

Post by knightprobe89 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:36 pm

victor dont you think at this point all of the knight rider fans are set on seeing the nbcu pilot, and if larson does anything to stop the pilot or series from being aired that it will possibly backfire on him and his movie, because the fan base will be angry at larson for taking away their pilot and series that they are so looking foward to. i surely will be pissed, i hope for larsons sake that he can come to an agreement with nbcu so we can see our pilot and possible series. i think both the motion picture and the pilot /series can both survive. plese tell larson not to take our pilot/series away.
in glen larson we trust.

Nelson B
Operative
Posts: 229
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:05 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Vancouver BC Canada

Re: KR uk says cease and desist lawsuit?

Post by Nelson B » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:13 pm

If and when the movie comes out I would be surprized if we still have a knight rider tv series on the air. But the only thing that will probably happen is Glen will get a nice cheque from Universal.

User avatar
msKEN
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 780
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Contact:

Re: KR uk says cease and desist lawsuit?

Post by msKEN » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:55 pm

knightprobe89 wrote:victor dont you think at this point all of the knight rider fans are set on seeing the nbcu pilot, and if larson does anything to stop the pilot or series from being aired that it will possibly backfire on him and his movie, because the fan base will be angry at larson for taking away their pilot and series that they are so looking foward to. i surely will be pissed, i hope for larsons sake that he can come to an agreement with nbcu so we can see our pilot and possible series. i think both the motion picture and the pilot /series can both survive. plese tell larson not to take our pilot/series away.


Um no not all fans are wanting to see this pile of crap. So next time you feel the need to speak for everyone do yourself a favor and please speak solely for yourself. Secondly you need to read what is going on. Glen is not trying to stop the NBCU project. I wish he were. Its another TKR/ KR 2000/ KR 2010/ Bionic Woman disaster in the works but whatever when it gets cancelled mid season or not picked up at all then I guess the "true" fans will get the last laugh... a Mustang. lol what a joke. :roll:
The Knight Rider Fan Game Project:
http://www.theknightrider.com

User avatar
Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
Posts: 1600
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:10 am
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: Knight Manor

Re: KR uk says cease and desist lawsuit?

Post by Victor Kros » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:10 am

I am not going to comment on this subject any further because it's only going to irritate people, you won't accept or understand the response I would give you to your question knightprobe98 I agree with MSken and I am not going to leave myself open to further conflict on this matter.

If the majority of fans want to accept what is clearly not a true vision of Knight Rider by it's creator and continue to do so, so be it. When and if it backfires, you'll cling to the next attempt no matter who makes it because after all you like all things Knight Rider.

=VK=
:dash:

Shapeshifter
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 318
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:31 pm

Re: KR uk says cease and desist lawsuit?

Post by Shapeshifter » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:43 am

Victor:

I don't have the time or energy to respond to your rant, except to say I don't work for the studio. The nice thing is, I don't have to respond. Either you will be right, or you won't, and it won't take long to find out. I hope for the sake of the people on this board who just want to see the new KR in a few weeks, that you're not.

I would also argue when you say you've been patient with me. As far as I can tell, you haven't been the least bit patient with anybody.

User avatar
Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
Posts: 1600
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:10 am
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: Knight Manor

Re: KR uk says cease and desist lawsuit?

Post by Victor Kros » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:15 am

Victor:

I don't have the time or energy to respond to your rant, except to say I don't work for the studio. The nice thing is, I don't have to respond. Either you will be right, or you won't, and it won't take long to find out. I hope for the sake of the people on this board who just want to see the new KR in a few weeks, that you're not.

I would also argue when you say you've been patient with me. As far as I can tell, you haven't been the least bit patient with anybody.


- I find it interesting how you choose not to respond or comment, then follow with a response and a comment anyway.

I haven't been patient? Need I remind you of the countless times I have had to address our agreement which you continue to violate? Did you not read the post where I said I was backing off from this conflict? You on the other hand have gone to great lengths whether its confronting me directly or backing up one of your followers to draw me into further conflict, you had a choice to PM me, you chose to make it public.

You had the intestinal fortitude to PM once and ask for a truce and I agreed to that request, now you've chosen to go back on that agreement which really shows me what kind of person you really are and why I simply cannot respect you as a person, even though for the sake of the board I can be civil. I've had to make exceptions and you are no different.

Speaking of truth however...

I despise hypocrisy and you Sir, reek of it. Stick to your NBCU backdoor pilot reporting, that's what you've always been good at and really the only thing you've contributed here. Last but not least, do not continue to lie to these people. You've already admitted you have access to the script, production, and design further proves that point, not to mention your inside track on casting. Honestly if security has grown that lapse at NBCU, in my opinion if you don't work there (which I don't believe) you're betraying the confidence of your other "contacts" and you all deserve to be caught for violating your NDAs.

I'm not some kid in his basement looking to start a flame war, I'm also not a bold faced studio plant. I tell people the truth (as accurately as possible) and I will continue to do so.

You're a fad Shapeshifter, just like pogs your days of popularity are numbered. There's an old saying that holds true and forgive my profanity for this one instance, You either *?$# or get off the pot. You don't want to comment? THEN DON'T COMMENT, if you want to comment, PM ME about it and if you cannot follow this request I will be forced to flat out ignore you entirely before you wind up locking out another thread.

=VK=
:dash:

User avatar
scottab21
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 344
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:41 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: KR uk says cease and desist lawsuit?

Post by scottab21 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:54 am

Wow... Victor and Shapeshifter, don't you guys think this constant bickering between you two has gone on for long enough. It truly is demeaning and childish, and frankly I'm sure most people (on the board) is getting tired of of threads getting taken over by this argument. What I'm trying to say is "kiss and make up". We are all supposed to be fans of Knight Rider. Whether you like one project or another, that's your right, but to constantly accuse one another of being a "studio plant", or "blowing up in his face", just relax a little. Besides, neither of you, or any of us on the thread, truly no if either of you are REALLY involved to the extent that you both say you are. So we could all be just victims of speculation. By the way, HAPPY NEW YEAR! Here's to Knight Rider in EVERY form it takes... :dash: :spm: :spmgo: :kittspin:

User avatar
ckeller22
Operative
Posts: 177
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:22 pm

Re: KR uk says cease and desist lawsuit?

Post by ckeller22 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:37 pm

I agree with scottab21enough is enough. Victor I did not imply I know more than you. And as far as the theme parks having nothing to do with the studios is bull *?$#. They are all paid by the same company. They even have studio back lots and filming at Universal Orlando. You have said basically that I know nothing and my friend who works for the company and not just for the theme park knows nothing. Well to me that demeaning. You were wrong on the credits and you are probably going to be wrong on other comments you have said. If there is a legal matter the most is that Glen would be paid I very much doubt that they would be ordered to take it off the air it doesn't work like that(ohhh that's right I know nothing so what am I saying) Let's not forget Ford is heavily involved and after all this attention and promotion they are not going to look like fools. So I say again those who are looking forward to the new Knight Rider it will be aired Feb 17th whether Victor likes it or not. Victor if you truly work for Glen I really don't think he would be too happy with a employee jumping from board to board and causing arguments and by the way if you work for glen and publicly trash a project by another company and say things that aren't true that is cause for action because that is called slander in the world of law buddy. That's all I going to say I will not respond to any post you make to this. Why? because I am a grown man and do not wish to bicker about stupid crap that is out of the hands of everyone.

User avatar
scottab21
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 344
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:41 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: KR uk says cease and desist lawsuit?

Post by scottab21 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:49 pm

ckeller22 wrote:I agree with scottab21enough is enough. Victor I did not imply I know more than you. And as far as the theme parks having nothing to do with the studios is bull *?$#. They are all paid by the same company. They even have studio back lots and filming at Universal Orlando. You have said basically that I know nothing and my friend who works for the company and not just for the theme park knows nothing. Well to me that demeaning. You were wrong on the credits and you are probably going to be wrong on other comments you have said. If there is a legal matter the most is that Glen would be paid I very much doubt that they would be ordered to take it off the air it doesn't work like that(ohhh that's right I know nothing so what am I saying) Let's not forget Ford is heavily involved and after all this attention and promotion they are not going to look like fools. So I say again those who are looking forward to the new Knight Rider it will be aired Feb 17th whether Victor likes it or not. Victor if you truly work for Glen I really don't think he would be too happy with a employee jumping from board to board and causing arguments and by the way if you work for glen and publicly trash a project by another company and say things that aren't true that is cause for action because that is called slander in the world of law buddy. That's all I going to say I will not respond to any post you make to this. Why? because I am a grown man and do not wish to bicker about stupid crap that is out of the hands of everyone.


VERY well spoken... It's about time the fans of KRO spoke out against this type of behavior. It is truly uncalled for. Thank you ckeller22... :dash:

Shapeshifter
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 318
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:31 pm

Re: KR uk says cease and desist lawsuit?

Post by Shapeshifter » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:58 pm

I've made my feelings known to Victor in a PM. I will no longer contribute to the acrimony on the boards, and I apologize to all here for my part in this.

seeker78
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 402
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 6:00 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Silicon Valley

Re: KR uk says cease and desist lawsuit?

Post by seeker78 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:46 pm

Hey victor, I don't want you to say anything that would get you or Larson in legal trouble -- I know all about "can't tell you", having been a submariner, and I'm still under an NDA with the US Government that forbids me to discuss certain things for 70 years -- but, what would Larson's intentions be, if he won the lawsuit? Would he want the series canceled, or chose a different car, or what? Also, had NBC not done the series, and we just had his movie, did he intend to do a series afterward, or just other movies, along the lines of the James Bond movies? Oh well, if you can't say, just say "I can't say" and I won't bother you about it...

User avatar
Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
Posts: 1600
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:10 am
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: Knight Manor

Re: KR uk says cease and desist lawsuit?

Post by Victor Kros » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:58 pm

ckeller22,

For the record Universal Orlando has NO STUDIO BACKLOT, it only has a convention center (I believe it was formally Nickelodeon Studios where they used to film game shows) to hold sporting events and the themepark facades and stages for their shows and attractions. Only Universal Studios Hollywood has a functioning motion picture studio backlot, let alone Studio tour. Universal Studios Orlando isn't big enough, check your facts and your park maps.

The only studio tour out there is at Disney's MGM Studios and I believe it's being closed down to make way for new attractions. Incidentially the name MGM Studios will change to Disney's Hollywood Studios later in the year.

Do not lecture me on law kid, you're not qualified. Slander is spoken, print is libel.

I can't comment on what Glen wants if he wins the case against NBCU, that's up to him to decide but I am sure money will be a large issue.

=VK=

Locked