NBC Airs 15 second teaser

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: NBC Airs 15 second teaser

Post by Lost Knight » Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:34 pm

Duster wrote:That is good news. On the other hand it's a pity they didn't get the dash right right from the beginning. I'm really curious how much they can fix with CGI in post production.
Keep in mind that the '82 Trans Am's dashboard wasn't fully complete by the time the Pilot aired. Remember it also took 13 episodes before we got the 3-bar voice modulator as opposed to that boring square. If you look at some shots of the dashboard in the Pilot, even the pod units were marked with numbers instead of features.

As Shapeshifter pointed out, any things that the producers aren't happy with about the dashboard will be improved upon when/if the series hits and will have a bigger budget.

:dash:
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative

Post by Joe Huth » Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:43 pm

Here's what people were talking about earlier in this thread...this is from the 1984 "1-900-210-KITT" commercial:

Here's the video I uploaded on YouTube:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XDoVV5Y8FkA

Joe

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:53 pm

Thanks for those screen caps.

dispite what some people might think I think this could be a fantastic next genration Kitt.

Merry Christmas to evryone..

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative

Post by Joe Huth » Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:19 pm

I agree with Mike....this teaser was great....from the music to the mystery of the car...it did feel a lot like KR of old. Not sure of the dash, like most people, but I am going to reserve judgment until it airs.

Joe

davejames
Rookie

Post by davejames » Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:39 pm

Shapeshifter wrote:I have heard that the interior of the car is still a work in progress; the producers are not satisfied. They are going to do what they can in post with CG, especially with the dash. Fortunately, overall popular acceptance of the show, and the subsequent decision to go to series, will not rest with the car's interior. If you're a bit a bit dissapointed with it when the movie airs, rest assured. If the show is picked up for series the dash will be fixed.

And BTW, Happy Holidays to all of you here.
Reading between the lines, it sounds like the producers wanted to make a LOT more modifications to the car than Ford was comfortable with.

I'll be interested to see if Ford even lets them keep the scanner lit on a continual basis, or if they feel it "distracts" too much from the car they're trying to sell. lol

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:41 pm

Wow they sure had a lot of smoke in the 80s! Great blast-from-the-past Joe, thanks.

And for people who want to hear the phone call, here it is:
http://www.teamknightrider.com/classic/ ... necall.wav
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative

Post by Joe Huth » Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:48 pm

You know, Mike, it's absolutely amazing that we (as fans) not only have the video for the 1-900-210-KITT commercial, BUT also the actual recording itself! Good thinking on capturing that :)

Hopefully we can do the same for future KR projects!

Now, if we could only find that Competition is No Competition commercial from Summer '82....

Joe

Solid Snake
FLAG Recruit

Post by Solid Snake » Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:03 pm

That was seriously a kick ass trailer... also... when KITT says "Mike" it shows it has some spice... which is awesome! The car to be honest looks heaps better with a scanner, much much much nicer. The dash though must improve until they air it, and improve considerably, but it might... remember how the concept renders had non analogue gauges. Also... what MUST go is the "momo" (not "mama") on the steering wheel, that is just awefully cheap... slap a Flag logo on it and I am happy.
Knight Rider, powered by Ford!

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:38 pm

Well, that was pretty cool. That scanner is interesting, first thing I like about the car. I also liked that proposed interior picture. But that dash looks just as lame as the PR event one...
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

ReddawgKnight
FLAG Assistant

Post by ReddawgKnight » Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:13 pm

i liked the teaser alot,i thought it was great. :kitt:

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Post by seeker78 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:01 am

I thought it was cool, the only thing that really disappointed me was the analog gages. KITT is supposed to have digital gages. I hope they fix that in the actual show. :)

btw I saw the Shelby Mustang in the movie "I am Legend" today, it doesn't look as bad as it did in the pictures. I still think it's a little boxy to be KITT, but it's Made in USA which would be better than a Made in Canada Camaro.

I still say the Pontiac G5, Chevy Cobalt, and Mustang GT (2008 model years for all three, not 2007) look a lot more like KITT would look in 2008. :)

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:02 am

Michael Pajaro wrote:Wow they sure had a lot of smoke in the 80s! Great blast-from-the-past Joe, thanks.

And for people who want to hear the phone call, here it is:
http://www.teamknightrider.com/classic/ ... necall.wav
Haha, that's great. Maybe it's just me, but it sounds like it could have been an actor holding his nose and imitating William Daniels' voice. (Yes, I know it was really him, though.)

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Post by seeker78 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:27 am

Shapeshifter wrote:
I'm sorry I really don't have any more info now. I guess we'll have to wait and see what they can do.
Well, the thing is, we all saw that image of the kitt interior that was officially released, and it referred to holographic gages etc. They couldn't render that for the teaser? It's one thing to look stock on the outside, but at least modify the inside to some extent, I don't think an advanced high tech vehicle would have all analog gages. I do admit that on the USS Florida helm, we had analog gages as a backup to digital, but the digital was still there and considered the main indicator (the procedure does say to continuously look at both and verify that they agree, in case one has failed). Oh well I'm not getting mad at you or anything, you're just the messenger, :) but if they have analog gages in the main show that will be another major disappointment. :(

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:30 am

seeker78 wrote:
Shapeshifter wrote:
I'm sorry I really don't have any more info now. I guess we'll have to wait and see what they can do.
Well, the thing is, we all saw that image of the kitt interior that was officially released, and it referred to holographic gages etc. They couldn't render that for the teaser? It's one thing to look stock on the outside, but at least modify the inside to some extent, I don't think an advanced high tech vehicle would have all analog gages. I do admit that on the USS Florida helm, we had analog gages as a backup to digital, but the digital was still there and considered the main indicator (the procedure does say to continuously look at both and verify that they agree, in case one has failed). Oh well I'm not getting mad at you or anything, you're just the messenger, :) but if they have analog gages in the main show that will be another major disappointment. :(
I could be wrong here, but I would think all the CGI effects wouldn't be added until the entire film is shot first, which it's not. I don't think we'll see any computer effects until then.

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Post by seeker78 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:01 am

Lost Knight wrote:I could be wrong here, but I would think all the CGI effects wouldn't be added until the entire film is shot first, which it's not. I don't think we'll see any computer effects until then.
I think you're right, and I hope you're right! :)

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Victor Kros » Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:10 am

Most footage in a teaser will be rendered to some state of completion, even if it's just a temporary place holder shot. I see no reason why they wouldn't render out the full CGI effects of the interior for a simple 15 second spot. We're not talking a entire movie trailer here which runs at least a minute. It's more likely they just wanted to keep more to the imagination and that the CGI dash effects only appear when the K3000 is in his "attack mode" setting. This was normal K3000.

=VK=

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative

Post by Joe Huth » Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:29 am

Is that an overhead console, or am I just imagining things?

Joe

CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant

Post by CJaguar442 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:42 am

to tell the truth if their is no competition with the knight 2000 vs the knight 3000 in this movie or i will be disappointed,
that's missing from knight rider 2000. it needs to have KITT turboboost too!

Merry Christmas

i will be watching "Silent Knight" of season 2 today

:kitt: :dash:
Re-elect Mayor Goldie wilson, Progress is his middle name!
Save the Clocktower!
Go Boston Red Sox! Go Boston Bruins! Go Boston Celtics!
Go the distance and he will come!

Stylez
FLAG Recruit

Post by Stylez » Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:07 am

seeker78 wrote:btw I saw the Shelby Mustang in the movie "I am Legend" today, it doesn't look as bad as it did in the pictures. I still think it's a little boxy to be KITT, but it's Made in USA which would be better than a Made in Canada Camaro.

I still say the Pontiac G5, Chevy Cobalt, and Mustang GT (2008 model years for all three, not 2007) look a lot more like KITT would look in 2008. :)

What's wrong with the Camaro being made in Canada? A made in USA Mustang is better than a made in Canada Camaro? huh? Where it's produced means what? Is the Camaro better if its made in the USA? Just trying to sort your point out of Made here and Made there either that or you have an issue with Canada which is kinda the way I am perceiving your comments as being somewhat prejudice. This G5/Cobalt FWD garbage better stay far away from any KITT I know lmao

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant

Post by JJSoCrazy » Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:13 pm

Actually most the Mustang parts and stuff for it are made in Mexico. Anything North Eastern is considered American by some car companies.

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Post by seeker78 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:05 pm

Stylez wrote: What's wrong with the Camaro being made in Canada?
It takes jobs away from Americans, and it detracts from the economy of the USA, and therefore detracts from our National Security.
Just trying to sort your point out of Made here and Made there either that or you have an issue with Canada which is kinda the way I am perceiving your comments as being somewhat prejudice.
Yes, I am prejudiced in favor of the United States of America. My loyalties are to the United States and I am an American first before anything else. I was born on American soil and I served in the US Navy. If you're a Canadian citizen I can understand that you would want to promote cars Made in Canada, in fact, if you're a Canadian you SHOULD want to do that, but I'm an American and this is an American story, so I think it should be a USA made car. :)
This G5/Cobalt FWD garbage better stay far away from any KITT I know lmao
well like I said, I'm not a car guy so the drivetrain doesn't matter that much to me, it's still an internal combustion vehicle either way, if you ask me I think KITT would use some kind of fuel cell to power an electric motor, since that is a more energy efficient and more fuel efficient and more environmentally friendly method (NBC Universal is trying to go green right? ;) ). I know Mercedes had an onboard gasoline reformer vehicle at one point, it would take gasoline, chemically extract the hydrogen, and run the hydrogen through a fuel cell to make electricity for an electric motor. Check out this link for US government research on that issue:

http://www.evworld.com/news.cfm?newsid=5574

Apparently, in the past it took several minutes to get the reformer up to the necessary temperature, but now they have reduced it to 12 seconds, although it is experimental. I don't know how long the Mercedes one took. But if I were making a KITT car I wouldn't use internal combustion at all, RWD or FWD, I want maximum acceleration, that means electric motor. Like the Tesla Roadster, it has an electric motor, it goes 0 to 60 in under 4 seconds. That's like the Dodge Viper, but no gasoline is used!!! And the range is 220 miles, maximum speed 125 mph. Plus if KITT were electric/fuel cell, no engine noise, more stealth! :)

http://www.teslamotors.com/performance/perf_specs.php

I read one story where a reporter sat in the passenger seat of the Tesla, and they floored the accelerator, and the reporter asked "how fast were we going? 100?" and the engineer said "no, we barely passed 60, you're just not used to getting there in 4 seconds". Unfortunately, the Tesla is currently being made in Britain, although the company is based in Silicon Valley. They say they will be offering a lower cost vehicle later on that will be made on American soil.

Kirin
Recruit

Post by Kirin » Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:27 pm

I don't know why they used an old fashioned gage dash board for a version of KITT 25 years removed from the original. If they actually go with that dash, my only guess to their reasoning would be that they may think that today's teenagers would think a tricked out super fancy digital dashboard too cheesy. They may be courting serious car enthusiasts and the Fast and Furious crowd, knowing that the original fanbase and sci-fi geekdom will show up anyways. Remember, original fans are only part of the picture, TPTB would be far more concerned with what the current youth culture thinks.

scottab21
FLAG Recruit

Post by scottab21 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:11 pm

Wow... I actually got chills... MERRY CHRISTMAS! :D

Duster
Rookie

Post by Duster » Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:20 pm

Lost Knight wrote:
Duster wrote:That is good news. On the other hand it's a pity they didn't get the dash right right from the beginning. I'm really curious how much they can fix with CGI in post production.
Keep in mind that the '82 Trans Am's dashboard wasn't fully complete by the time the Pilot aired. Remember it also took 13 episodes before we got the 3-bar voice modulator as opposed to that boring square. If you look at some shots of the dashboard in the Pilot, even the pod units were marked with numbers instead of features.

As Shapeshifter pointed out, any things that the producers aren't happy with about the dashboard will be improved upon when/if the series hits and will have a bigger budget.

:dash:
You definitely have a point here. I am just happy that this pilot is getting made. If it is turned into a series and the budget or whatever else allows them to improve things - even better!

@Joe Huth: Thanks for uploading that commercial! :)

Cobra
Volunteer

Post by Cobra » Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:11 pm

A mix of disappointment and curiousity is what I can say of this trailer. I will definitely watch the new TV pilot.

Things I liked about the trailer:
The vehicle under a sheet (hints a connection to the original series, gives a sense of mysteriousness)
The voice (sounds close enough to the old KITT yet different enough to sound like a new KITT - curious to see if it will have the same wit)
Leaving us with a lot of questions and answering very little (almost guaranteed to have a lot of the fans of the old series watching it when it airs)

Things I didn't like about the trailer (mostly to do with the choice of the vehicle):
Mustang being KITT (this is old news, but I simply cannot get over it, its like a delicious dish with a bad smell - what the Mustang is to the series) The series is definitely attractive, the choice of car just stinks up the look and potential of the show.
The fact that the vehicle looks VERY MUCH like a stock Mustang (no true attempt to modify it or update the front portion of the vehicle with a more sleek design, the rear of the vehicle having a very outdated look with no modifications, and the car being peppered all over with the cobra insignia - again making it look more like a stock car and a Ford commercial).
The position and design of the scanner (again due to the horrible choice of car).
Interior (analog look was a definite negative, seems to be missing a lot of hightech components and looks very stock and the car horn buttons on the steering wheel further add to that stock look - assuming they are the car horn buttons as they look very much like it.)

Things not sure about yet:
Theme music of the new series (it played near the end of the trailer or I think it was suppose to be the new theme music, but I am unsure what to make of it right now)