NBC Airs 15 second teaser

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

neps
Site Administrator
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: NBC Airs 15 second teaser

Post by neps » Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:54 pm

seeker78 wrote:
Stylez wrote: What's wrong with the Camaro being made in Canada?
It takes jobs away from Americans, and it detracts from the economy of the USA, and therefore detracts from our National Security.
Woah - I REALLY don't think this is the place for a discussion like this. The last time I checked, Knight Rider is a global success, so we shouldn't be limiting to just US vehicles.

The world is a global market place, and even Japanese companies (like Toyota) have factories in the US, employing Americans. And even if the car doesn't get built in America (like the Camaro) I bet you dollars to donuts that there is a lot of American in there, from the design, to the patents, to the CPUs on the microprocessors. A statement can't like this can't be so black and white.

There are plenty of places you can go to argue about "National Security" but I'd think most people would agree - this isn't it.

tamatt27
FLAG Assistant

Post by tamatt27 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:56 pm

seeker78 wrote:
Stylez wrote: What's wrong with the Camaro being made in Canada?
It takes jobs away from Americans, and it detracts from the economy of the USA, and therefore detracts from our National Security.
Just trying to sort your point out of Made here and Made there either that or you have an issue with Canada which is kinda the way I am perceiving your comments as being somewhat prejudice.
Yes, I am prejudiced in favor of the United States of America. My loyalties are to the United States and I am an American first before anything else. I was born on American soil and I served in the US Navy. If you're a Canadian citizen I can understand that you would want to promote cars Made in Canada, in fact, if you're a Canadian you SHOULD want to do that, but I'm an American and this is an American story, so I think it should be a USA made car. :)
This G5/Cobalt FWD garbage better stay far away from any KITT I know lmao
well like I said, I'm not a car guy so the drivetrain doesn't matter that much to me, it's still an internal combustion vehicle either way, if you ask me I think KITT would use some kind of fuel cell to power an electric motor, since that is a more energy efficient and more fuel efficient and more environmentally friendly method (NBC Universal is trying to go green right? ;) ). But if I were making a KITT car I wouldn't use internal combustion at all, RWD or FWD, I want maximum acceleration, that means electric motor. Like the Tesla Roadster, it has an electric motor, it goes 0 to 60 in under 4 seconds. That's like the Dodge Viper, but no gasoline is used!!! And the range is 220 miles, maximum speed 125 mph. Plus if KITT were electric/fuel cell, no engine noise, more stealth! :)
Well I do see your desire to preserve American jobs, but GM isn't building cars in Canada and Mexico simply because they want to. There are many factors that justify that decision, one of which is the UAW. Would you want KITT to be a Hyundai or perhaps a Tundra because they're made in the USA over, say, the Camaro since it's made in Canada? Personally, I'd prefer KITT be a car produced by one of the Big 3 US automakers, not just a car made on US soil.
On your other note, though, I never thought of the fact that KITT may be a hybrid of somekind. Although Ford doesn't have much hybrid technology other than the Escape Hybrid. I do wonder if NBC plans to incorporate any 'green' emphasis in the plot. The Tesla Roadster is impressive, and I could accept KITT as an alternative fuel vehicle, but your Tesla isn't made in the USA.
KNIGHT RIDER RELOADED is a series of movies on Youtube to represent a different creative avenue to the Knight Rider we knew in 2008-09.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tamatt27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kitt34
FLAG Recruit

Post by kitt34 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:59 pm

This theme is very interesting and the teaser's nice.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:06 am

All they need is a line about the car not being totally finished to explain the stock garbage. The only thing that really bugged me was the zooming in on the car insignia just before it drives away at the end, doesn't exactly ease the notion that this isn't going to be a two hour Ford commercial..

Aside from that, it was good to see the car and hear the voice.

EDIT: Then again, there's those damn nano machines. >_<
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

LadyV2000
FLAG Assistant

Post by LadyV2000 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:14 pm

I thought it was pretty cool. It's a relief that the voice is similar to the original KITT. For some reason I thought it would be much deeper, like KARR's (don't ask me why.) I can't wait to see more. Hopefully some longer teasers will be released soon. :D
Flyer Guy: "You really a talking car?"
KITT: "No. I'm a tight end for the Chicago Bears!"

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Post by seeker78 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:12 am

neps wrote: Woah - I REALLY don't think this is the place for a discussion like this. The last time I checked, Knight Rider is a global success, so we shouldn't be limiting to just US vehicles.
Well, it's still an American story...and using a Made in USA car in the 80s didn't stop Brits or Germans from enjoying Knight Rider, any more than using a Made in UK car stops Americans from enjoying James Bond. I would expect the British government to issue a British made car to their British agents (although it probably depends on where and how said agents are being deployed).

And that's how it should be, showing that British car makes people want to buy it, which helps sustain the British economy, as a senior member of Her Majesty's Government said recently about allowing MI5 headquarters to be filmed for a Bond movie, "we want to give to Bond what Bond has given to Britain".

In any case, as I said before, I'm not going to refuse to watch the movie or whatever because the car ends up being foreign made. I'm just stating my own preferences, and I think I am not alone in these preferences either.
and even Japanese companies (like Toyota) have factories in the US, employing Americans.
Indeed, and I did point out that a car made by a Japanese company in the USA would be acceptable. That's why I said "Made in USA" as opposed to "Made by a USA company". Although the ideal case is Made in USA by an American company, as then the whole cycle enriches the same country.
And even if the car doesn't get built in America (like the Camaro) I bet you dollars to donuts that there is a lot of American in there, from the design, to the patents, to the CPUs on the microprocessors.
Yeah there's American employment in terms of white collar jobs, but the manufacture of cars, be it by GM, Ford, Chrysler, or Toyota, employs a lot of people, thousands in some factories. Compare the number of jobs involved in manufacturing the car to the number of jobs involved in creating the patent, I think you would find the former is far greater. It's a really tangible thing, when GM closes a plant in the USA and moves it to Canada, a lot of Americans get put out of work. Unfortunately in terms of CPUs, you're still talking about the blue collar work being done overseas, the Silicon Valley Manufacturing Group even changed their name recently to Silicon Valley Leadership Group, which many consider unfortunate, that they have given up all pretense of manufacturing. It used to be that chip companies here made all their products right here in Silicon Valley. Then it turned out that Fairchild Semiconductor was dumping hazardous chemicals, and the government went after them, and rather than clean up their act, these companies started moving manufacturing overseas.

There are certainly a lot of people who would like to do (blue collar) work on making chips in Silicon Valley, last time a chip fab was hiring, I went to the event and was one of probably 800 people in line to be considered to work there, and that was at like 9 in the morning and the line was getting larger. :o
There are plenty of places you can go to argue about "National Security" but I'd think most people would agree - this isn't it.
Well, the term "national security" is not what I'm arguing, somebody asked me why I wanted a Made in USA car and I answered them, simple as that. Made in the USA is a factor for me, perhaps not for others. To me, Front Wheel Drive vs Rear Wheel Drive isn't a big factor, it's kind of boring for me, for others it is a major factor. So there you go...

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Post by seeker78 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:26 am

tamatt27 wrote: Well I do see your desire to preserve American jobs, but GM isn't building cars in Canada and Mexico simply because they want to.
True, but part of the problem is that they don't specifically want to build them in the USA. You'll hear corporate leaders there complain that Americans are lazy etc., those corporate leaders should speak for themselves...there are companies like Systemax with a company policy to never send jobs overseas (Systemax computers are assembled in USA just like the Pontiac G5).
There are many factors that justify that decision, one of which is the UAW. Would you want KITT to be a Hyundai or perhaps a Tundra because they're made in the USA over, say, the Camaro since it's made in Canada? Personally, I'd prefer KITT be a car produced by one of the Big 3 US automakers, not just a car made on US soil.
Well the issues are a little different there. Made in USA by a Japanese company is preserving blue collar jobs but possibly shifting some white collar ones around. But if none of the big three are making a car in the USA, then yes, Toyota would be fine, if the product is made on US soil. But we're not facing that situation: Ford, GM and Chrysler make many models of car in the USA. Just not the Camaro, apparently. The Pontiac G5, for example, is made here, so are the Corvette and the Dodge Viper.

I think the main reason people don't like the Pontiac G5 is that it is front wheel drive? That's not an issue for me, perhaps somebody can tell me how that becomes an issue? Does it make it easier to do stunts etc.? It seems more energy efficient to drive the wheels closest to the engine. Like I would expect a Porsche to be RWD because the engine is in back, but not a Trans Am (yes, I do know that the Trans Am was RWD). But then, I'm not a car guy...

Are people against the Viper as KITT because it is from Dodge? I think the Viper is awesome, it just doesn't have a back seat.
On your other note, though, I never thought of the fact that KITT may be a hybrid of somekind. Although Ford doesn't have much hybrid technology other than the Escape Hybrid. I do wonder if NBC plans to incorporate any 'green' emphasis in the plot. The Tesla Roadster is impressive, and I could accept KITT as an alternative fuel vehicle, but your Tesla isn't made in the USA.
True, the Tesla is made in Britain (contracted by Lotus), as I did point out at one point (possibly not in the post to which you replied). Which is disappointing, because Tesla is an American company. The answer to your inevitable question is no, I would not want KITT to be a Tesla, since it is made in Britain. I prefer Made in USA. :)

btw another thing about the Tesla, the motor only weighs like 70 pounds, yet can perform like a Dodge Viper engine, which weighs quite a bit more. :o

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:34 am

I'm not a car guy either but from my own limited experience with FWD and RWD is the problem with front wheel drive is control and maneuverability at high speed, especially in cornering. I'm sure there are other issues but that's just one that comes to mind. Can you even peel out with front wheel drive?
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:22 am

PHOENIXZERO wrote:Can you even peel out with front wheel drive?
Certainly. My '06 Eclipse is front wheel drive and it's surprisingly easy to do peel outs. So easy that I have to make a conscious effort to accelerate a little slower so as not to constantly ruin the tread on my tires if I make them screech every time.

Regarding why the Pontiac G5 and G6 wouldn't make a suitable K.I.T.T., it's because the G5 looks more along the lines of a Cavalier or Cobalt and the G6 looks like a bland looking sedan, overall. They fit certain criteria, but don't have that stealth-y look to them. Since the G6 has replaced the Grand Am, it would be like the modern equivalent of placing K.I.T.T. in a Grand Am. It just doesn't work. I think even the new 2-door Nissan Altima would even look better as K.I.T.T. than the G6 (not saying K.I.T.T. should be one, though). The American blue collar/white collar job point has been made in great detail by this point. I don't think there's a need to press it further.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Post by seeker78 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:09 am

Lost Knight wrote: Certainly. My '06 Eclipse is front wheel drive and it's surprisingly easy to do peel outs. So easy that I have to make a conscious effort to accelerate a little slower so as not to constantly ruin the tread on my tires if I make them screech every time.
So then, using front wheel drive is not an issue? Wikipedia claims that RWD went out of favor in the early 80s. Although they say that every Ashton-Martin is RWD, or at least most of them. I keep hearing on here, though, that no one wants KITT as a FWD drive car.
Regarding why the Pontiac G5 and G6 wouldn't make a suitable K.I.T.T., it's because the G5 looks more along the lines of a Cavalier or Cobalt and the G6 looks like a bland looking sedan, overall. They fit certain criteria, but don't have that stealth-y look to them.
Well, I guess we just disagree on that one. I feel like those small aerodynamic cars are the modern equivalent to things like the Trans Am. I think the G5 looks just fine. I had previously recommended the Cobalt as well.

So let me ask you this then, lost knight: what Made in USA cars with would you consider acceptable as KITT? I agree the Corvette or Dodge Viper would be good but those are 2 seat cars. Does the dodge viper have the high degree of carbon fiber content that was an issue with the Corvette? The Nissan Altima apparently is Made in USA so that's ok with me.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:05 pm

seeker78 wrote:So let me ask you this then, lost knight: what Made in USA cars with would you consider acceptable as KITT? I agree the Corvette or Dodge Viper would be good but those are 2 seat cars. Does the dodge viper have the high degree of carbon fiber content that was an issue with the Corvette? The Nissan Altima apparently is Made in USA so that's ok with me.
Well, you said it. Seeing as how the Mustang was chosen, it has made me rethink the Corvette as a choice, and that would be mine. Yes, it's only a 2-seater. But as I've said before I really don't see that as much of an issue. It can easily be written around seeing as classic K.I.T.T. rarely ever carried passengers in his back seat during the series. The only issue with the 'Vette as far as I'm concerned is the fact that it's fiberglass, which will make stunts extremely difficult. But with the right budget, the producers would find ways to counteract that with various methods. As for the Viper, it's way too muscular and was already used for the series Viper.

CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant

Post by CJaguar442 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:29 pm

i have a question do they still make cars with t-tops anymore for the ejector seat or auto roof
does the mustang have this feature
Re-elect Mayor Goldie wilson, Progress is his middle name!
Save the Clocktower!
Go Boston Red Sox! Go Boston Bruins! Go Boston Celtics!
Go the distance and he will come!

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:02 pm

I last generation of Trans Ams and Camaros had T-Tops, but the Mustang doesn't (neither does the new Camaro)/ Yet another reason why I wish that this whole project came about 5 years ago, then they could have used a Trans Am.

And Trans Am is simply the best choice, not because it's GM, not because it's made in the US, but because the original KITT was a Trans Am and it makes sense for continuity's sake. But alas, T/As aren't made anymore, :?
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant

Post by CJaguar442 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:31 pm

i have just fond this picture of the new must and what i believe is a digital dash
here it is:

Long Live The Knight Rider
Re-elect Mayor Goldie wilson, Progress is his middle name!
Save the Clocktower!
Go Boston Red Sox! Go Boston Bruins! Go Boston Celtics!
Go the distance and he will come!

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Post by seeker78 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:00 pm

CJaguar442 wrote:i have just fond this picture of the new must and what i believe is a digital dash
here it is:
Yeah I've seen that one, that was posted in the forum earlier, that picture is one of the reasons why I expected a digital dash in that teaser and was let down. I really hope it was because they didn't want to spend the money to render it with CGI yet. Although it would probably be cooler if they had a custom instrument built with a analog indicator as a backup, but a digital display that was bigger in the gage. :)

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Post by seeker78 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:05 pm

CJaguar442 wrote:i have a question do they still make cars with t-tops anymore for the ejector seat or auto roof
does the mustang have this feature
I don't know, but couldn't they modify a solid top car to have the ejector feature? Like put in a hinge or whatever? Like the Aston Martin DB5 did not have a t-top but they did put the ejector seat in there ;)

Q: Now this one I'm particularly keen about. You see the gear lever here? Now, if you take the top off, you will find a little red button. Whatever you do, don't touch it.
James Bond: Yeah, why not?
Q: Because you'll release this section of the roof, and engage and then fire the passenger ejector seat. Whish!
James Bond: Ejector seat? You're joking!
Q: I never joke about my work, 007.

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Post by seeker78 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:14 pm

Lost Knight wrote: Well, you said it. Seeing as how the Mustang was chosen, it has made me rethink the Corvette as a choice, and that would be mine. Yes, it's only a 2-seater. But as I've said before I really don't see that as much of an issue. It can easily be written around seeing as classic K.I.T.T. rarely ever carried passengers in his back seat during the series.
Yeah, if the rear seat is not an issue, I totally agree, the Corvette is an excellent choice!! It looks very much like the original KITT. Well, the rear seat and the fiberglass with regard to stunts. I just saw a black Corvette at my loser job at the goodwill trailer, it was very KITT looking.

Still, wouldn't it be best to have a rear seat just in case? Like if KITT and the driver have to rescue more than one person it could come in handy? :)
As for the Viper, it's way too muscular and was already used for the series Viper.
Now you're sounding like Victor and his objection to the Camaro. ;)

Well I say if fiberglass is an issue with the Corvette, but lack of rear seat is not, then the Viper would be the next choice! :) Although I agree that it is a little muscular looking.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:03 pm

seeker78 wrote:Now you're sounding like Victor and his objection to the Camaro. ;)

Well I say if fiberglass is an issue with the Corvette, but lack of rear seat is not, then the Viper would be the next choice! :) Although I agree that it is a little muscular looking.
But don't you think NBC Universal's version of Knight Rider already has similarities with Viper to begin with? They both feature shapeshifting vehicles, changing colors, nanotechnology and even the damn font for the series is now the same as Viper's. I get the feeling that NBCU is trying more to make a refined version of Viper than they are a sequel to Knight Rider. Plus, this new K.I.T.T. will now have offensive weapons, too (let's hope no machine guns!). Can you imagine it being another shapeshifting Viper on top of it all?

tamatt27
FLAG Assistant

Post by tamatt27 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:10 pm

seeker78 wrote:
Lost Knight wrote: Well, you said it. Seeing as how the Mustang was chosen, it has made me rethink the Corvette as a choice, and that would be mine. Yes, it's only a 2-seater. But as I've said before I really don't see that as much of an issue. It can easily be written around seeing as classic K.I.T.T. rarely ever carried passengers in his back seat during the series.
Yeah, if the rear seat is not an issue, I totally agree, the Corvette is an excellent choice!! It looks very much like the original KITT. Well, the rear seat and the fiberglass with regard to stunts. I just saw a black Corvette at my loser job at the goodwill trailer, it was very KITT looking.
Still, wouldn't it be best to have a rear seat just in case? Like if KITT and the driver have to rescue more than one person it could come in handy? :)
As for the Viper, it's way too muscular and was already used for the series Viper.
Now you're sounding like Victor and his objection to the Camaro. ;)
I don't know where the fiberglass came up as a bad thing..??? Pretty much every car has fiberglass on it now. The ZR1 goes a step farther, and has carbon fiber (which is lighter and stronger than fiberglass). I agree that KITT should not be a Viper because 1)it was already used as a hero car (so has the Camaro), 2) I'd prefer KITT to remain a GM to retain some heritage, and 3) because it does look too muscular, as opposed to the 'Vette which is more sports car-like.

But seriously dude, I think it's about time to stop slandering the boards with the G5 stuff. It's great that you think that, but most of the forum doesn't agree with you, and the American jobs bit can become argumentative. I am tempted to argue with you about the point but I'm not.
KNIGHT RIDER RELOADED is a series of movies on Youtube to represent a different creative avenue to the Knight Rider we knew in 2008-09.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tamatt27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JimmyPSHayes
Operative

Post by JimmyPSHayes » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:20 pm

I've watched this trailer at least 5 times each day since it was put online. I really can't wait for the TV movie and hopefully it will turn into a series. The voice of KITT was great, and I like the car.
-I also like the fact that when you see the car peel out, it's unmistakably Los Angeles.

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Post by seeker78 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:56 pm

I don't know where the fiberglass came up as a bad thing..??? Pretty much every car has fiberglass on it now. The ZR1 goes a step farther, and has carbon fiber (which is lighter and stronger than fiberglass).
Well I meant to say carbon fiber. It was an issue because, apparently, if you were to make the Corvette turbo boost, for example, it would get too messed up. That was from Victor. So from what I understand the Corvette is ruled out due to issues with stunts. Although I think the lack of a backseat is considered an issue too. Not sure though. I'm on the fence on the back seat thing myself.

I'm not sure how bad the carbon fiber can really be, after all, the Corvette does have to withstand federal safety crash tests. Then again, you don't have to be able to take a Turbo Boost to get a 5 star crash test rating, lol. But Victor knows more about the subject than I do, so I concede his authority on the matter.

Clearly, you are right that the Corvette looks more like the original KITT than probably any other currently available car. But according to Victor it is not available for Knight Rider purposes.

Also I don't think KITT for a movie theater movie has to look "as close as possible to the original KITT", it is, after all, a remake of the original. It definitely should have that "stealth factor" though. That's the main reason that I objected to the Ford Mustang; I don't care if it is Ford, GM, or Chrysler or Toyota (as long as the company is making it on US soil).

And in my opinion -- and yes, I do know that many disagree with me on this -- the Pontiac G5 would be an example of a car that has that futuristic quality, at least more so than a Shelby Mustang. So sue me. Some on here say the Shelby Mustang is just fine as KITT, are they "slandering" the board?

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:46 pm

Do you think we'll be seeing any diffrent trailers shortly, this one has done the job of leaving me begging to see more.

SO I guess in that sense it's working :lol:

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Post by seeker78 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:12 pm

Lost Knight wrote: But don't you think NBC Universal's version of Knight Rider already has similarities with Viper to begin with?
I acknowledge the similarities but I don't think anybody really remembers that show. I don't even remember watching a single full episode, I know OF it but I didn't watch it. Same with TKR. :)

Viper was what, ten years ago? Something like that? And NBCU still has the IP to it, so I don't see any reason why they couldn't use that car as KITT.

I think if you put a red scanner on the Dodge Viper, it would look awesome, plus it doesn't have the carbon fiber issues. My only objection is the fact that it has only two seats. What if KITT and the driver have to rescue more than one person?
They both feature shapeshifting vehicles, changing colors, nanotechnology and even the damn font for the series is now the same as Viper's. I get the feeling that NBCU is trying more to make a refined version of Viper than they are a sequel to Knight Rider.
Well, that's fine with me, if they want to integrate prior series. Why are some of you guys so allergic to nanotechnology? It is the next great frontier in technology. As the great American physicist, Richard Feynman (one of the people on the Manhattan Project), said, "there's plenty of room at the bottom", meaning, there is no law of physics to prevent us from creating nanomachines that do things which appear magical.

For example you could create nanomachines that if you sprinkle them on a large piece of metal, they digest the metal, transform it on an atomic level and make a car. There's nothing impossible about that. It's far beyond our current engineering capabilities, but there is nothing in the laws of nature to prevent it.

There may come a time in the future where you don't buy a car or a computer, you just buy a copy of the intellectual property which instructs your nanomachines to make said object, and it gets manufactured for you at your house.

click here for Feynman's speech "there is plenty of room at the bottom":
http://www.zyvex.com/nanotech/feynman.html
Plus, this new K.I.T.T. will now have offensive weapons, too (let's hope no machine guns!).
offensive weapons, or defensive? the most I have heard is that it will have devices to stop incoming missiles. That's a defensive weapon. ;)

I do agree that KITT is supposed to have an edict to protect human life, which means it wouldn't have lethal weapons. But then, KITT is certainly capable of killing someone if it chose to do so, by ramming them at maximum speed or whatever, but of course KITT would not make that choice because of said edict to protect human life.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:45 pm

seeker78 wrote:I acknowledge the similarities but I don't think anybody really remembers that show. I don't even remember watching a single full episode, I know OF it but I didn't watch it. Same with TKR. :)

Viper was what, ten years ago? Something like that? And NBCU still has the IP to it, so I don't see any reason why they couldn't use that car as KITT.
Nearly every posting board member here remembers the show, and the opinions of the hardcore fans such as us matter more than the casual viewer, or anyone newly introduced to the franchise, in my opinion. Those types of viewers wouldn't know or care about the essence of the story, K.I.T.T.'s functions, etc. Making K.I.T.T. an SUV, for example, would make no difference to them. Furthermore, I am not saying that they can't use the car; I'm saying that I don't think they should use the car.

But obviously the Mustang has already been chosen. It's set in stone. That makes these car debates strictly hypothetical. And that's not to mention that our personal opinions would make no impact whatsoever on NBC Universal's decisions on choosing the vehicle. I don't know how much energy I want to put into these opinion discussions as to what type of car they should have picked, because it doesn't matter.
seeker78 wrote:I think if you put a red scanner on the Dodge Viper, it would look awesome, plus it doesn't have the carbon fiber issues. My only objection is the fact that it has only two seats. What if KITT and the driver have to rescue more than one person?
That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. And no offense to you, but all of your opinions thus far from the type of car that should have been K.I.T.T., to the actor who should play the driver in the feature film, I've actually questioned as to whether or not you were doing as a joke.
seeker78 wrote:Well, that's fine with me, if they want to integrate prior series. Why are some of you guys so allergic to nanotechnology? It is the next great frontier in technology. As the great American physicist, Richard Feynman (one of the people on the Manhattan Project), said, "there's plenty of room at the bottom", meaning, there is no law of physics to prevent us from creating nanomachines that do things which appear magical.

I have never said I have a problem with this so-called nanotechnology, or NBC's history of using it as a plot device for their shows. In fact, I think the healing/metamorphing capabilities are an interesting new angle to take, being that this is a new car. We will get a car that has more of classic K.I.T.T.'s functions in the feature film, and I wouldn't want to see the same approaches being duplicated for both the television and feature film productions. I was merely just pointing it out as one of the similarities to Viper.
seeker78 wrote:offensive weapons, or defensive? the most I have heard is that it will have devices to stop incoming missiles. That's a defensive weapon. ;)
I certainly know the difference between offensive and defensive, thank you. Yes, the function you mentioned is indeed a defensive weapon, but it's not the function I was referring to. Going by the Popular Mechanics article, there is a function called "Laser Weapons System," which it states classic K.I.T.T. did not have, and is clearly an offensive weapon. Also, the name "Attack Mode" clearly implies that the Knight 3000 can and will attack adversaries if needed. If the producers had chosen to name it "Battle Mode" instead, it would more imply defensiveness.

Granted, Popular Mechanics clearly did not do enough research as they have made a lot of mistakes regarding classic K.I.T.T.'s functions, and they've added what I consider "fluff" by stating unimportant functions for the Knight 3000 such as heated seats and the 1000-watt stereo system, among other things. I can't take the article seriously because of those mistakes and therefore some of the Knight 3000's functions may be entirely made up for the article, for all I know.

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Post by seeker78 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:49 am

Lost Knight wrote: Nearly every posting board member here remembers [Viper]
Yeah, but Lost Knight, my point was, do you think of the show "Viper" every time you see a Dodge Viper? I think, man that is a beautiful car. Looks fast.

Do I remember that show having existed? Yes. Did I ever watch it? No. Do I think that using the Dodge Viper again, ten years later, is the same as using a Camaro again when another movie that's out, and will probably have a sequel out when the Larson movie comes out, also uses the same car? No, I do not.
But obviously the Mustang has already been chosen. It's set in stone. That makes these car debates strictly hypothetical.
No one is suggesting they are not, however, there is a movie coming from Larson for which the car is yet to be chosen.
That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. And no offense to you, but all of your opinions thus far from the type of car that should have been K.I.T.T., to the actor who should play the driver in the feature film, I've actually questioned as to whether or not you were doing as a joke.
From what I can tell, people who say that are for the most part assuming that all Knight Rider fans are also car enthusiasts, or that a Knight Rider movie would only appeal to car enthusiasts, or, worst of all, that one cannot be a true Knight Rider fan without knowing about engines and drivetrains. Those of us who don't know much about engines or whatever don't really care what kind of engine kitt has or what kind of drivetrain. You can't see that from the outside. Originally, Revolution Studios was saying that Knight Rider movie would appeal to car enthusiasts, and they supplied an example as fans of The Fast and the Furious. So that's why I question the idea that Knight Rider is somehow a car enthusiast's show. A lot of nerds watched that show, man. Until recently I didn't think jocks/gearheads were into it at all.

As far as the driver, in my opinion the whole notion of having him be related to Michael Knight is kind of silly; why can't he be just another agent who has taken the reins from Michael Knight, the latter having retired from field work? Plus if he is Michael Knight's child, you get into this whole sophomoric thing about which character from the old series is his mother. :roll:

And if the driver is NOT related to Michael Knight, he doesn't have to look like him in any way, so Will Smith is plausible as a driver, with the obvious exception that the movie will probably not have the budget, based on what we have heard from Victor. (although I'm surprised this is not going to be a major Hollywood $300 million budget type movie :?: )

Will Smith has been in a lot of very popular action movies, from Independence Day to I Am Legend. Just look at that first one, Independence Day, the mannerisms and attitude of that character, that is totally a Knight Rider driver type character. The biggest question about using Will Smith is if he would be into making sequels.
Also, the name "Attack Mode" clearly implies that the Knight 3000 can and will attack adversaries if needed.
Well you can attack someone without killing them. "Pursuit Mode" implies that you're going to capture someone, which is an aggressive act.
I can't take the article seriously because of those mistakes and therefore some of the Knight 3000's functions may be entirely made up for the article, for all I know.
I agree, however, I don't see why Victor referred to Popular Mechanics as respected. Popular Science and Popular Mechanics are both lower tier publications, not to be confused with, for example, Scientific American, or an actual research journal like Science. I think a lot of people on here, including Victor, which surprises me, took that Popular Mechanics thing as gospel, which is quite strange.