KITT'S NEW FEATURES

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Knight-Rider
Rookie

KITT'S NEW FEATURES

Post by Knight-Rider » Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:50 am

Popular Mechanics has any article on the KITT. It lists the new options in KITT and the Old KITT.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/automot ... 37588.html

Wally

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: KITT'S NEW FEATURES

Post by Victor Kros » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:06 am

Well so ends the, "will the new K3000 have weapons?" debate. Thanks for posting the article, it's quite informative.

They missed "turbo boost" and their Audio/Video In-Dash Functions should both say "Yes". KITT also had a Targeted Electromagnetic Pulse and Keyless Entry and Ignition and most certaintly Radar. They need to do more research instead of further trying to convince the general public that the new K3000 is superior to the older K2000.

As for "air ride" technology making the car lower to the ground, I can already see the greatest advisary "attack" KITT will have to face...the speed bump.

=VK=

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Lost Knight » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:35 pm

"24-Hour Roadside Assistance"? What kind of feature is that? I have that, too—it's called AAA. Is that supposed to be used when the car breaks down and can't start? (Sorry, Ford fans, I couldn't resist.)

And the "1000-Watt Quadraphonic Stereo System" is a complete cheap shot. My car has a 1000-watt system, too. What does music have to do with anything?
Last edited by Lost Knight on Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

LadyV2000
FLAG Assistant

Post by LadyV2000 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:59 pm

Lost Knight wrote:"24-Hour Roadside Assistance"? What kind of feature is that? I have that too—it's called AAA. Is that supposed to be used when the car breaks down and can't start? (Sorry, Ford fans, I couldn't resist.)
LOL! :lol:

Maybe it's Knight Industries roadside assistance, like the FLAG semi, though I doubt we'll see anything like that. However, I could see the potenial for some comedy. Imagine some country bumkin from Bob's Towing taking a look at the KI3000. I can already hear the guy in Texan accent saying "What the hell kinda car is this?" :lol: :P
Flyer Guy: "You really a talking car?"
KITT: "No. I'm a tight end for the Chicago Bears!"

The Shadow
Volunteer

Post by The Shadow » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:07 pm

It's been awhile since I've seen most of the original show [though I have recently watched through about the first half of the second season] - but several items strike me as incorrect on the list.

The Popular Mechanics article lists the following items as Negatives for the original KITT

Audio/Video In-dash Functions
RADAR
Keyless Entry and Ignition
Mass Spectrometer
360-Degree Video Surveillance
In-Seat Medical Diagnosis
Biometric Analysis
Military-Grade GPS
I'm 95% certain KITT had all these functions. The Audio/Video in-dash functions should be obvious, I'm not sure if KITT was expressly cited as having RADAR - however he had some remote location system that allowed him to keep track of vehicles/people even when they weren't in his line of site. Keyless entry and ignition - okay so Michael never had a key fob that would unlock KITT from a distance or start the engine, however KITT could regularly unlocked [and open] his doors &trunk and started his engine unassisted or by voice command.

GPS isn't identified as such - but KITT demonstrates capabilites that are at least very similar too modern GPS units. Further by the show's second season [1983] the real GPS network was opened up to civilian use, arguably FLAG could've been granted access to the GPS network while it was still restricted. In "Return to Cadiz" KITT identifies the metals in what was revealed to be a gold coin. KITT took video surveillance in "Blind Spot".

I know KITT has done medical scanning in some episodes, but a particular example escapes me - biometrics could be considered a subset function of that. Unless they producers mean face recognition {which KITT did virtually every episode} or that K3000 has a finger print scanner for security. [I don't know why, those things have been shown to be ineffective means of security (see Mythbusters)]

Now this features I'm not quite clear on. I can't recall if KITT had them, or was equipped with at least a similar device:
Targeted Electromagnetic Pulse
I remember KITT remote-interfacing with electronic devices on multiple occasions but I don't recall him every shutting down a device by killing it's electronics.

Okay, enough with the inaccuracies of the Popular Mechanics article. Let's talk about these oddball entries:
Heated Seats
24-Hour Roadside Assistance
1000-Watt Quadraphonic Stereo System
Was it really necessary to cite 'heated seats' as a feature of a supercar?

Roadside assistance - I just don't get this one. KITT had the FLAG semi, but everyone and their brother can get signed up with a roadside assistance program [usually AAA]. Even then it's not like Mike Traceur could have the K3000 in for repairs at the local garage - besides the unique engine there's all those weapons systems you don't want misfiring.

I'm trying to figure out what use an overkill stereo system could be - don't think I'll ever find a reason...
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

Mango19
Rookie

Post by Mango19 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:23 pm

The Shadow wrote:
Okay, enough with the inaccuracies of the Popular Mechanics article. Let's talk about these oddball entries:
Heated Seats
24-Hour Roadside Assistance
1000-Watt Quadraphonic Stereo System
Was it really necessary to cite 'heated seats' as a feature of a supercar?

Roadside assistance - I just don't get this one. KITT had the FLAG semi, but everyone and their brother can get signed up with a roadside assistance program [usually AAA]. Even then it's not like Mike Traceur could have the K3000 in for repairs at the local garage - besides the unique engine there's all those weapons systems you don't want misfiring.

I'm trying to figure out what use an overkill stereo system could be - don't think I'll ever find a reason...
I think these prove that this article is just clowning around and not meant to be taken seriously.

HungarianKnight
FLAG Recruit

Post by HungarianKnight » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:55 pm

The Shadow wrote: I'm not sure if KITT was expressly cited as having RADAR

One thing is sure: the original Kitt had a radar. Just look at the Season 3-4 voice box. The fourth indicator on the right coloumn is explicitly indicated as RADAR.

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Post by seeker78 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:33 pm

As far as sonar, if KITT was able to detect sounds at long range, that is considered sonar. That is what we submariners call "passive sonar", as opposed to active sonar which emits pulses of sound and listens to the return signal. See this official US Navy web page describing unclassified aspects of submarine warfare:

http://www.history.navy.mil/branches/te ... e/elem.htm

I seem to remember some episodes of KITT having at least passive sonar? Can people identify episodes where KITT was able to detect sounds at long distances?

--Brian (was a sonar tech on the submarines USS Florida (SSBN-728) and USS Asheville (SSN-758))

knightprobe89
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightprobe89 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:51 am

i think rocket boosters are concidered to be turbo boost. audio video in dash functions maybe they mean touch screen technology!
in glen larson we trust.

Matthew
Site Administrator

Post by Matthew » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:22 am

seeker78 wrote:I seem to remember some episodes of KITT having at least passive sonar? Can people identify episodes where KITT was able to detect sounds at long distances?

--Brian (was a sonar tech on the submarines USS Florida (SSBN-728) and USS Asheville (SSN-758))
KITT Vs KARR is one such episode, as KARR explicitly states that Michael and KITT must have picked up his sonar signal when they began chasing him shortly after John had dropped Mandy off at work

Matt
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:40 pm

Mango19, it's Popular Mechanics, a hightly respected engineering magazine (practical and concept). It's not Wizard or Starlog, or some other pop like publication and quite frankly it disgusts me that their information is so blatantly inaccurate.

=VK=

MJknight
Operative

Post by MJknight » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:02 pm

From what I've been hearing on the wire is that the K3000 is not going to Turbo Boost. If this is true, then that will not sit will with Knight purists. If it is as superior as they are claiming it to be, then Turbo boosting should be a simple feat.

True, judging by the spec's they have listed (although, not entirely accurate) then the K3000 is superior to the original, with the exception of one....the Original looks better and is more aerodynamic, where as the KITT-Stang handles like a brick on corners, so I have read.
One Man Can Make A Difference - Wilton Knight

scottab21
FLAG Recruit

Post by scottab21 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:23 am

MJknight wrote:From what I've been hearing on the wire is that the K3000 is not going to Turbo Boost. If this is true, then that will not sit will with Knight purists. If it is as superior as they are claiming it to be, then Turbo boosting should be a simple feat.

True, judging by the spec's they have listed (although, not entirely accurate) then the K3000 is superior to the original, with the exception of one....the Original looks better and is more aerodynamic, where as the KITT-Stang handles like a brick on corners, so I have read.
Hey, don't believe everything you read. After Feb. 17nth, we will all know just exactly what the Knight 3000 is capable of... 8) Afterall this isn't a contest/comparison as to who's a better KITT. It's obvious it's been over 20 years since the original, that we will see some things we never seen the original KITT or any other car do. If we didn't get that, I think we could all be disappointed. 8)

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:28 am

well I've said it before.. and I'll say it again.....

Anyone remember Viper??

Half the new features are taken directly from Viper.

Not that I'm complaining.. I really liked that show.. so to have both KR and viper morphed into one show should be pretty kewl.
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

89IROCNDoug
Operative

Post by 89IROCNDoug » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:45 am

MJknight wrote:the Original looks better and is more aerodynamic, where as the KITT-Stang handles like a brick on corners, so I have read.
While I agree with you on the looks, that is an opinion and there is sure to be disagreement.

I definitely argree with the aerodynamics! That's one of my complaints against the Knight 3000! I would think that they would get a car that cuts through the wind better like the Knight 2000 does.

As far as handling like a brick, that doesn't really matter, except making it easier for the stunt drivers. In the fictional realm of Knight Rider, Knight Industries could of replaced/installed high tech handling components to make it corner on a dime.
One man did make a difference.

rhdaussiekitt
FLAG Recruit

Post by rhdaussiekitt » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:08 am

is viper on dvd yet?
--knightman--

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:52 pm

Not as far as I know.
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shapeshifter
FLAG Recruit

Post by Shapeshifter » Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:43 pm

Sorry to burst anyone's bubble here, but that article was a TOTAL goof. That was the three producers sitting around coming up with the most outlandish things they could come up with. "1000 watt Quadraphonic Stereo"? That's 8 track tape. These guys had their tougues firmly planted in their cheeks.

knightridergundam
Operative

Post by knightridergundam » Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:50 pm

victor kros wrote: As for "air ride" technology making the car lower to the ground, I can already see the greatest advisary "attack" KITT will have to face...the speed bump.
Damn you speed bump, damn you!
I'm a Geek Squad Agent
Linkin Park fan
AMD Phenom Black-Edition Quad-Code user
and I watch Knight Rider.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:12 pm

*Imagines the car in "attack mode" going 200MPH and hitting a speed bump* :lol:

Yeah, roadside assistance really is going to be needed. I can imagine the call now.

"Yes, I've flipped my car over again on one of those cursed speed bumps, ARGH KITT'S ONLY WEAKNESS!"
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:23 pm

There are but two mortal enemies to cars everywhere...the first is the common speed bump and the other is it's accomplice...

The out of control shopping cart careening into a shiny new paint job.

Then there are the pigeons...

=VK=

scottab21
FLAG Recruit

Post by scottab21 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:04 am

LOL.... Ohhh Victor, don't you know that it's impossible for KITT to be in a collision? And since the same guy who made the original KITT was involved in the making of the Knight 3000, I highly doubt he forgot to add that feature...LOL :kitt2:

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:56 am

Well, I have cleared two things up for myself.

1. That vs table is wrong, the old KITT had many more features than that table gave it credit for.

2. The new KITT doesn't do anything special. What it CAN do has been greatly exaggerated.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:59 am

LOL.... Ohhh Victor, don't you know that it's impossible for KITT to be in a collision?
It is not impossible for KITT to be in a collision, he collides with objects all the time from brick walls to food stands to solid rock. It is just unlikely in doing so he would sustain damage with his MBS in tact.

=VK=
:dash:

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:55 am

LOL.... Ohhh Victor, don't you know that it's impossible for KITT to be in a collision?
Don't forget that the system has to be turned on for kitt to not have a collision. And Michael Knight himself said he doesn't like that, he likes making his own decisions... their for KITT had a ton of collisions threw out the series lol.
The Knight Rider Fan Game Project:
http://www.theknightrider.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;