KITT car poll PART II

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

What type of car should KITT be in our modern age?

09 Shelby Mustang
11%
09/10 Camaro
28%
Acura Concept NSX
33%
Nissan GT-R
5%
One of a kind concept for movie.
24%

Total votes: 83

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

KITT car poll PART II

Post by Victor Kros » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:25 am

Since people have asked me to re-open the last poll considering the new information revealed about the NBCU backdoor pilot, I have decided to rerun the car poll again but this time I will leave it to run indefinately. Please revote if you voted in the last poll so your vote is counted again.

Also remember my requests regarding the 82 Trans Am and corvette are to be maintained. Please select one of the options given, don't opt for more.

Thanks for your vote.

=VK=
Last edited by neps on Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: made it sticky

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: KITT car poll PART II

Post by Lost Knight » Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:52 am

This poll should have been a sticky in the first place. There was also a comment by you, Victor, about there needing to be at least 100 votes for any given car in order for it to be seriously considered. But I'm pretty sure the vote count for any car will not get anywhere near that high on these boards (at least during my time here I've never seen a poll with that many votes). So, if you're still maintaining the same mentality, I'm making the suggestion that you might want to cast this same poll on other Knight Rider-related boards. And again, I voted for the Acura NSX Sports Coupe Concept.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

flemmo
Rookie

Post by flemmo » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:23 am

Victor, is this vote 'just for fun' or is it being used to get a measure on what car/style of car gets picked for Glen's Movie? If so, why do we have the Mustang on there? As you have already said it will definately NOT be a mustang for the feature film. Also if Dreamwork have the movie rights for the Camero (Transformers) then isn't that an unrealistic choice? Without these 2 cars as choices, the voting might go very differently indeed. But if it's all just for fun then it doesn't really matter :wink:

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:14 am

I voted one of a kind car for the movie. If KITT should be the car of the future in Glen's movie, I don't think any current car is futuristic enough, it's the retro-muscular -style these days so pretty much the only option is doing one of a kind custom car BUT still not too far fetched.
The Acura looks pretty close in the front but is there pics of it from behind and interiorshots? KIFT looked pretty ok too in the front but the rear was ugly. Also I think KITT should be American car, even if Acura name is only in US-market, it still is part of Honda. If KITT could be Japanese car, Mazda RX-8 might do as well.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:38 am

I went ahead and made it sticky for the next 30 days. (the new forum lets me set time limits)

I'm torn on what to vote for.

I don't think a one of a kind car is a reasonable option, I think KITT needs to fit into his environment the majority of the time in order to be stealthy.

Mustang, while picked for NBC wouldn't necessarily be my choice, and the Camaro is done in my eyes cause of Transformers. I'm not familiar with the other two, probably the nissan over the acura - the acura feels too unrealistic.

here is an image to help people who aren't familiar. It's interesting seeing the Camaro and the Mustang together. They feel very similar in terms of their muscle car stylings.

Neil
Attachments
KITT Poll
KITT Poll
kitt_poll.jpg (47.19 KiB) Viewed 26497 times

Solid Snake
FLAG Recruit

Post by Solid Snake » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:08 am

May I suggest a glossy black Shelby GR1.
Knight Rider, powered by Ford!

Scott Kirkessner
FLAG Recruit

Post by Scott Kirkessner » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:13 am

neps wrote:the acura feels too unrealistic.

Neil
The Acura is VERY unrealistic. While the front end is really cool, there virtually is NO back end. It's just... nothing.

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant

Post by JJSoCrazy » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:33 am

The 2010 Camaro would be a perfect choice for the new KITT. Just think about it, the car is coming out January 09 and by the time the movie is realeased it can be a great campaigning aid to both GM and Larson. They can put things in dealerships, all over the news, and title's like "KITT Finds Itself As The New Camaro!". Stuff like that would be awesome, and to have KITT once again as a sleek badass muscle car would be amazing!

I know I stress upon the Camaro, but so do others and I am making a statement on my opinion and passion to have the movie as surreal and compelling to the original story as possible. Yes the Acura concept is nice, but it seems unrealistic. If you want to argue the original KITT was a futuristic car, I believe so but using a modern and unique car like they did in the pilot would get the job done.

Also just to add, just because Transformers used the Camaro Concept, doesn't mean they cannot use the Acutal Production Model.

Someone posted this pic in another thread and I would like to share it, it isn't my creation but is close to what I would like.

BTW Victor thanks for the 09/10 model year input, lol :D

KentuckyKITT
Rookie

Post by KentuckyKITT » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:10 pm

I am a huge fan of the new Camaro and I will own one when they are released. It's been my intention since they first hit the news. I've been following that car ever since, just waiting to put one in my driveway. I was stoked to see a rendition of it moving on the streets in Transformers. I think that car would work extremely well as a KITT, but I'm sticking to the opinion that I would rather see a one of a kind custom concept (which I voted for). I think it really adds a little more movie magic when you see something on screen that you cannot buy or build yourself very easily. The 89 Batmobile is my favorite movie car of all time. I think it is one of the coolest creations for a car in a film. I would love to see KITT "recreated" into something unique, while maintinng the orignial foundation of what made the Pontiac Trans Am and the interior appeal to so many.

In that 4plex picture that Neps posted, to me, the Camaro just dwarfs the Mustang. The Camaro seems much more agressive and muscular and the Mustang...is just "hey ummmm...I'm over here...don't hurt me Camaro."lol I can't wait to see the market reaction between the Mustang and Camaro when the Camaro hits the streets.

I am now anxious to see what Glen Larson's vision will be, because I am very skeptical of the NBC show, but I will not criticize completely until I see the pilot.

Bryan
"KITT, if this is just a toy factory, I'm Peter Pan."

KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit

Post by KRAvengerII » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:33 pm

Well, i guess my vote would have to go to the car on the bottom right, (Is that the Acura?) because of the interesting headlights. And, as a mustang driver, I can live with the choice of the Shelby for the movie.
KITT: I walked right into that one, didn't I?
Michael: More like Turbo Boosted.

Nelson B
Operative

Post by Nelson B » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:40 pm

Last time I voted for the camero but this time I voted for the Acura the front end is more kitt like in appearance. :kitt2:

jyd85
Operative

Post by jyd85 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:31 pm

I voted for the Acura. It's sleek and has a nice looking front. For me, it just looks better overall compared to the other suggestions I've seen.

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:04 pm

Let's just say in general for the time being, not just the feature film choice.

=VK=

lordvader
Rookie

Post by lordvader » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:36 pm

I voted for the Camaro and for a totally original design. I think the Mustang has a great look, but I don't think it's right for KITT. The Camaro fits much better and even has a little bit of a futuristic look to it. As for an original design, I feel it could work the best only because current cars don't truly represent the best 21st century look that KITT should have. The Acura and Nissan I believe are the worst two choices available in the poll above. I don't know about everyone else but I don't want KITT associated with tuner/ricer cars that you see in games like Need For Speed. I feel that KITT should be represented by an American car. I guess we should be thankful they at least went with a Mustang and not some import Japanese car like a Toyota. I'm not saying that cars outside the US are bad, I for one love Ferraris and Porsches. I just think that for a car that stars in a US TV show that also takes place in the US and is supposed to have one of a kind technology; it too should be based on American innovation not something from Japan, Europe, etc. That's just my 2 cents.

- lordvader
"I have no eggs. Perhaps you could direct me to a chicken." - KARR

KarlKnightRider
Recruit

Post by KarlKnightRider » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:16 pm

I'll go for the Acura!

However I've thought of another option, though I'm not sure if this car is available in the US...

a MAZDA RX-8 (NBC should've gone for this I think, Ford own Mazda so it could've been easy enough to bargain).

Any thoughts?

knightprobe89
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightprobe89 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:58 pm

for the tv series i like the mustang, but i voted for the acura nsx because i think it the best choice for larsons movie.
in glen larson we trust.

ckeller22
Operative

Post by ckeller22 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:13 am

Hello everyone I am new to the board. I am an avid Knight Rider fan as i was about eight years old when the original show came out I even had the talking KITT toy car. I've been reading this forum for a while and finally came to the conclusion i needed to add my two cents in to the pot. I once owned a beautiful 91trans am but had to give it up due to personal reasons. I have to agree with many people that the Shelby is not the right fit for Knight Rider. Argue it as be but let's look at these points KITT was designed with certain elements. KITT was smooth and sleek he looked like a jet in motion the t tops allowed for Michael to be boosted to roof tops of buildings the dash was a work of art with the tv monitors no commercial vehicles sold to mass consumers had tv's in them in 1982. Sheffe was brilliance in that he redesigned the front end to incorporate the scanner which is to me the heart and soul of KITT when it lite up KITT came alive. The nose design separated from all TA's out there and you couldn't get that modification at that time until many years later when custom conversions came out. The car used embodied traits that gave it mystery. I am not bashing the Shelby IN matter of fact I think I would be less resistant to the fact that it is being used if the creative team which in my own personal view was not creative or very true to Knight Riders theme. For instance what very little creativity was used on the front end it looks stock which I again express as my own view not saying it is true in any way is that they sold out to Ford by not changing the front end in any way. If i was the creative team I would of made a custom nose to give it a distinction from the rest of the Shelbys that are to soon come off the production line. The scanner being split and way up in the scoop is not very appealing. The double fin looks like a rice rocket reject from fast and the furious. I am sorry I hope not to offend anyone but I feel the effort was misplaced and the core of KITT was lost. IN my opinion and my opinion alone if I was to recommend a car it would be the Chevy corvette E85.Why? because it comes close to the elements that made the original KITT and is modern to go with our times . The E85 looks like a jet just like the original did. It has the lines that contrast it as going 300 mph just sitting there . This is just my opinion.

Cobra
Volunteer

Post by Cobra » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:19 am

I voted for the Acura. I prefer Pontiac (even if its merely a concept) for the movie for a few simple reasons:

It hints at a connection to the original KITT (both being American cars and Pontaic models).

It isn't something readily available to anyone to go and buy and with the right mods it can balance the line between looking futuristic and subtle at the same time (unlike the Knight Rider 4000).

The story line can use the "concept" aspect of the vehicle to build the character of the car and how its creation came about (something creative) to further build mystery and interest and attach a "one of a kind" uniqueness to the car (like they successfully did with KITT). Remember, there were diagrams in the Semi of a futuristic KITT. If my memory serves me right, those diagrams looked eerily close enough to the Pontiac Rageous concept (pic below). Maybe use that in the plot of the movie as to elaborate upon how the new KITT came about.

My real choice would be a modified Pontiac Rageous (in sleek black) and second choice would be this black concept Pontiac model modified to look like KITT (red scanner, sleeker nose, etc.):
Attachments
rageous_1.jpg
rageous_1.jpg (21.22 KiB) Viewed 25884 times
trans_am.jpg
trans_am.jpg (219.99 KiB) Viewed 25903 times

flemmo
Rookie

Post by flemmo » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:19 am

That Pontiac Rageous looks great! with a restyled nose I think that could be perfect

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Post by seeker78 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:13 pm

hey victor, aren't you guys considering any cars which were Made in USA?? The Camero is made in canada. See my made in usa thread. :-) The Mustang is the only thing on your list which was made in the usa. :( if that's the best option I guess I have to live with it, though I would prefer a more kitt-looking car which was made in the usa. :)

LadyV2000
FLAG Assistant

Post by LadyV2000 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:44 pm

I went with the Acura again. I just love that car. :D
Flyer Guy: "You really a talking car?"
KITT: "No. I'm a tight end for the Chicago Bears!"

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:16 pm

Our belief is it shouldn't matter where the car comes from (maker, country) as long as it's in the spirit of the original KITT and feels like a worthy choice in both design and overall appearance (red scanner where it should be, black shiny paintjob, spoiler on the back, etc). Remember in the feature film KITT is a car of the future and designed to be unique, not blend in as much as his previous incarnation with other cars on the road. The reasons for this approach are directly related to the needs of the plot.

This may in fact irritate some anxious replica builders out there but by looking for the right fit, it's our belief our concept can become a production vehicle (If people demand it) if it's not one already. We haven't decided on the car yet so at this point in the game, we're just tossing around possibilities.

If you can get the car right, it's half the battle to a successful attempt to revive Knight Rider, the other half is story especially on a theatrical scale.

=VK=

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant

Post by JJSoCrazy » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:56 pm

victor kros wrote:Our belief is it shouldn't matter where the car comes from (maker, country) as long as it's in the spirit of the original KITT and feels like a worthy choice in both design and overall appearance (red scanner where it should be, black shiny paintjob, spoiler on the back, etc). Remember in the feature film KITT is a car of the future and designed to be unique, not blend in as much as his previous incarnation with other cars on the road. The reasons for this approach are directly related to the needs of the plot.

This may in fact irritate some anxious replica builders out there but by looking for the right fit, it's our belief our concept can become a production vehicle (If people demand it) if it's not one already. We haven't decided on the car yet so at this point in the game, we're just tossing around possibilities.

If you can get the car right, it's half the battle to a successful attempt to revive Knight Rider, the other half is story especially on a theatrical scale.

=VK=
Although remember VK that Glen stated he loved the "look and sleekness" of the Trans Am and its "Spy look". I remember him stating this in the DVD behind the scenes thingy. Very interesting stuff on there. So whatever car they choose it should be what Glen feels as well as some input from us regarding the "look of KITT" as sleek, eye-catching, and iconic (maybe american or whatever it may be). Although you can say the look and car is to be "futuristic" how come they didn't use any concepts with the original KITT and show? What I am saying is that there can be a car out there in today's day and age that can produce the "look and feel" of the future car.

Cobra
Volunteer

Post by Cobra » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:17 pm

victor kros wrote:Our belief is it shouldn't matter where the car comes from (maker, country) as long as it's in the spirit of the original KITT and feels like a worthy choice in both design and overall appearance (red scanner where it should be, black shiny paintjob, spoiler on the back, etc). Remember in the feature film KITT is a car of the future and designed to be unique, not blend in as much as his previous incarnation with other cars on the road. The reasons for this approach are directly related to the needs of the plot.

=VK=
I am quite happy to hear this. I considered the idea that the vehicle should be American to remain true to the original KITT, but I have had second thoughts about it simply because if choosing an American car (or Pontiac) means disregarding the large pool of cars that are potential KITT candidates, then it would be a step backwards for the movie.

It is good to know that this movie is being worked on by people who have a sharp eye to all the small details that made Knight Rider so special. It gives me a great deal of hope.

KnightSlider
Volunteer

Post by KnightSlider » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:00 pm

i voted again for the Acura...
I hope there will be a great Kitt in this movie..
Because after the awful choice (one of the worst possible) they have made for the new tv show, this movie is our last chance and hope, to really bring back Knight Rider..
So, i trust Glen for making the right choice, don't care if it's not the Acura, but at least a car we can dream of, exiting , mysterious,surprising.... that we all be happy to call Kitt, and not a commercial for a brand!