KITT car poll PART II

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

What type of car should KITT be in our modern age?

09 Shelby Mustang
11%
09/10 Camaro
28%
Acura Concept NSX
33%
Nissan GT-R
5%
One of a kind concept for movie.
24%

Total votes: 83

Nelson B
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: KITT car poll PART II

Post by Nelson B » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:05 pm

Has Toni worked his magic on this car yet? I can't remember if he has or not. I know he has done that orange mustang? Thats the problem when you are getting old the memory starts fading.

The Keith
Volunteer

Post by The Keith » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:15 am

I first voted on the GT-r , mostly due to it's high tech bits and the rear spoiler looks very much like the 82 Trans Am.

But after seeing more pics of the Acura i think it would be a good choice too.

Mr.MojoRisin
Volunteer

Post by Mr.MojoRisin » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:05 pm

Maybe I'm stuck in the 80's but why not another 82 Trans Am? It just fit so well. Making KITT another car would be like casting Kevin Costner as B.A. in a A-Team movie.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:13 pm

Because they won't get the rights to use the car as a center piece, Pontiac isn't interested and Trans-Ams from 15-25 years ago aren't exactly easy to get anymore since no new models are being built and sure you can probably find one or ten cheap, but that's leave a lot of work to be done to get everything in working order, time that could be better spent elsewhere aside from the even the old KITT's look is very outdated, at least when it comes to the interior. If you're referring to the TV movie, it's not the same KITT.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Matthew
Site Administrator
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Matthew » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:32 am

Acura Sports Car Concept

You know, given that the Acura Sports Car Concept has been leading the pack for so long, I'm surprised that no one, myself included, has noticed that it was only a two seater before now. Given the obvious need for KITT to be a four seater, I think that it's fair to say that it should be stricken from the poll, otherwise, it'll open up a whole new can of worms that'll bring other two seater cars, such as the Corvette and Viper, back into play in the minds of many fans.

Matt
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

Hardkore
Volunteer

Post by Hardkore » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:39 am

Of those options,I would have to go with the Camaro. I don't care for the Mustang/Cobra and the other two are too much the super/advanced sportscar type. You know,pricey show and tell cars, like a Lamborghini or what not. It's too bad Pontiac doesn't have anything that could be used,just suped-up versions of what they already have. What about the new Dodge Charger? That is even better than the 'stang.

The second pic is from a photoshopped pic of the charger as a concept before they cropped the front end.

Attachments
dodge.jpg
dodge.jpg (114.62 KiB) Viewed 37789 times

The Keith
Volunteer

Post by The Keith » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:48 am

In my opinion, K.I.T.T. is to be the worlds greatest super car. May as well be a modified Bugatti Veron.

But for a TV show it needs to be a car that's easy /semi cheap to get in bulk. So as fans there shold be a list of criteia for what we think are features that make a make/model worthy to be a future K.I.T.T.

Why would a NEW K.I.T.T. need to be a 4 seater? Because the old Trans-Am was? Does it need to be a hatchback? Front Engine RWD? 2-door? blacked out rear lights? Reversed hood vent?

Or would a different car that has a style and feature that is more exotic then the KITT we all know and love? The mock poster of the Koenigsegg KITT, I think looks pretty sweet. But for some it's a bit too supercar.

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:25 pm

I like the second photoshop pic but flip up headlights are really outdated not to mention no longer practical. Interesting how it looks nothing like the charger, which tends to be really boxy and bulky. Nice find though.

=VK=
:dash:

Toni Nummela
Knight of Finland

Post by Toni Nummela » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:14 pm

Nelson B wrote:Has Toni worked his magic on this car yet? I can't remember if he has or not. I know he has done that orange mustang? Thats the problem when you are getting old the memory starts fading.
You mean Acura? These are the ones done earlier:

Slightly different take on everyone of them. I like the middle one. Minus the rims and back end.

Matthew
Site Administrator

Post by Matthew » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:18 pm

The Keith wrote:Why would a NEW K.I.T.T. need to be a 4 seater? Because the old Trans-Am was?
Because when Michael has to rescue a group of people from the bad guy, would it really make sense for him to only be able to rescue one at a time? Let's go a step further, and assume that when Garthe kidnapped Devon and April, that leaving them both at the mansion with Christina after the rescue wasn't an option. Would Michael really want to be forced to sacrifice two members of his family and the hot chick of the week due to inadequacies of KITT's design so that he could go and rescue Dr. Bergstrom? Of course not, Michael would want to pile Devon, April and Christina into KITT's backseat, and go and do the exact same thing that he did to rescue Bergstrom with them along for the ride.

To dismiss the need for four seats instead of two is sheer ignorance towards the circumstance that Michael would face during his adventure championing the cause of the innocent, the helpless, and the powerless.

Matt

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:11 pm

Matthew,

How do you know the NSX sports car concept is only a two seater? There have been no photos of the interior? As far as two seats vs. four seaters go, the primary reason why the Trans Am needed four seats was to conceal the stunt driver behind Michael's seat. With remote technology now, that may no longer be a necessity but I tend to recall that KITT very rarely had more then people in the car at a time, unless there was a kid involved.

=VK=

The Keith
Volunteer

Post by The Keith » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:29 pm

Matthew wrote:
The Keith wrote:Why would a NEW K.I.T.T. need to be a 4 seater? Because the old Trans-Am was?
Because when Michael has to rescue a group of people from the bad guy, would it really make sense for him to only be able to rescue one at a time? Let's go a step further, and assume that when Garthe kidnapped Devon and April, that leaving them both at the mansion with Christina after the rescue wasn't an option. Would Michael really want to be forced to sacrifice two members of his family and the hot chick of the week due to inadequacies of KITT's design so that he could go and rescue Dr. Bergstrom? Of course not, Michael would want to pile Devon, April and Christina into KITT's backseat, and go and do the exact same thing that he did to rescue Bergstrom with them along for the ride.

To dismiss the need for four seats instead of two is sheer ignorance towards the circumstance that Michael would face during his adventure championing the cause of the innocent, the helpless, and the powerless.

Matt

Well i'm sure the writers would makes situations for a 2 seater if they had one, just like if KITT was a 4 door SUV that had room for 8 they would have to rescue 8.

If 4 doors were an option a Subaru WRX STi would be an intresting choice,

They take jumps rather well anyway.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDi0MZJZ-w0

The Keith
Volunteer

Post by The Keith » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:32 pm

What do people think of the Audi R8?

Knight Rider Archive
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight Rider Archive » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:33 pm

victor kros wrote:As far as two seats vs. four seaters go, the primary reason why the Trans Am needed four seats was to conceal the stunt driver behind Michael's seat.
Well, I have to disagree there; even if the Trans Am was only a two-seater, the "Stuntman Seat" would only have been moved forward a notch to conceal the hidden driver (which it often was anyway in the four-seater, since Hasselhoff's legs were so long). It did make sense from both a practical and a storytelling point of view for K.I.T.T. to be a four-seater in the TV show, no matter how little or how often passengers/kids/dogs sat in the back. Whether it's necessary for the movie, we'll have to wait and see.
- Paul
- http://www.knightriderarchives.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Matthew
Site Administrator

Post by Matthew » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:36 pm

Hi Victor,

I actually discovered it completely by accident. In the picture that I posted this morning, which I’ve reposted for your convenience, you can see the front seats through the passenger window. This is one of the few pictures where the interior setup is clearly visible. As you’ll see, the front seats are positioned towards the very rear of their respective door seams. With the heavily slanted roofline, barely present rear window, and lack of horizontal space, rear seats would be a virtual impossibility for this particular design, which all makes perfect sense when we consider that the Concept is considered to be the basis for the new NSX.

On the number of seats, I really think it comes down to practicality. Would Wilton Knight design a car that could only rescue one person at a time, or would he design one that could rescue up to four people at a time? To me, as much as I love a number of the two seat sports cars currently in production, it just doesn’t make sense for KITT to be so limited in scope.

Matt

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:16 pm

Ok this is the thrid time I've had to retype this.

Matthew,

If you were to use just the body of the NSX concept which is rather lengthy and put it on another chassis, it's possible to make a four seater work. Try to imagine also SUVs that can fold away extra seats when not in use, Same sort of thing here with the front seats sliding forward to create the extra seats in the back when extra space is needed (wouldn't leave much leg room, but still doable)
I'm not saying that's what we'll do but it's an option around the problem if we chose to use this car.

The fact they didn't allow anyone to photograph the interior of the car leads me to believe the interior they used was a mock up for the auto show and not worked out yet. From the pictures I have in my collection, the steering wheel is definately sitting where it should be. Having the seats positioned that far back from it, makes no sense. Aside from the side profile shot, in other angles the seats appear closer but I am also aware the NSX's legacy has been a two seater vehicle.

If anyone has photos of the interior of the Acura NSX Sports car concept, by all means post them. I've only seen someone mistakingly post an interior that belonged to a Mazda concept interior.

FYI, KITT needs to carry more then two passengers in the feature film at one point because it has a kid involved just like the original pilot (think demolition derby sequence). Also keep in mind that a child does not require as much leg room as a full grown adult.

Also the Audi R8 is already heavily licensed for the movie Iron Man.

Again a car has not been chosen yet but it's fun to toss around the possibilities.

=VK=

The Keith
Volunteer

Post by The Keith » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:35 pm

victor kros wrote:Also the Audi R8 is already heavily licensed for the movie Iron Man.

dammit

Nelson B
Operative

Post by Nelson B » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:29 pm

Thanks Toni for reposting the pictures here with the Acura concept. Any chance you can work your magic on the second picture of the charger he looks alittle green coloured to me. Too bad about the nose it's at the wrong angle too steep. Is the charger in the poll? If not it should be.

Matthew
Site Administrator

Post by Matthew » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:04 pm

Hi Victor,

Having examined several different photos, I really don’t believe that it would be possible to turn the Acura into a four seater without extending the body between the doors and rear wheel wells. The reason I believe this is because whilst there is obviously room for the seats to shift forwards a little for drivers of a smaller stature, the dashboard and steering wheel look to be about the right distance away from the seats when compared to the previous generation of NSX.

I’m actually quiet glad to hear that KITT will have to carry more than two passengers in the movie. Whilst I know from experience that young children take up less leg room than a full grown adult, I think it would be wise to plan ahead, and ensure that a car is chosen that’s able to carry at least four fully grown adults, that way, alterations won’t have to be made to accommodate any future scripts that might be commissioned.

I know I’m getting ahead of myself, but I’m hopeful that the reimagined pilot will spark at least two sequels, because I believe that the adventure of the Knight Rider is worthy of a trilogy that also covers KARR, and Garthe and Goliath.

Matt

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Post by seeker78 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:51 pm

victor kros wrote: If you were to use just the body of the NSX concept which is rather lengthy and put it on another chassis, it's possible to make a four seater work.
hey victor, well, hopefully this comment will not be too annoying, and I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything, but I just wanted to point out, in that case, why not use a Dodge Viper since it would be an American made car, and the NSX is Made in Japan, according to wikipedia (honda does make various cars in the USA, but that's not one of them). Since we're already saying that 2 seats is not really an issue, since the car could be modified. I say Viper ONLY because you said the Corvette can't be used due to carbon fiber issues. If somehow that is no longer an issue, I would be saying Corvette again. Given the idea of modifying a car to give 4 seats. :)

btw I was thinking about this very same thing, modifying a car for 4 seats, when I happened to walk by a red Corvette today. although that area behind the seats does look pretty tight.
FYI, KITT needs to carry more then two passengers in the feature film at one point because it has a kid involved just like the original pilot (think demolition derby sequence). Also keep in mind that a child does not require as much leg room as a full grown adult.
Yeah, well, I think in general you want to use a 4 seat car for KITT, for this kind of reason...you just don't want to limit the story.

--Brian

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Post by seeker78 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:55 pm

The Keith wrote:What do people think of the Audi R8?
I think it looks pretty cool, just needs a spoiler/wing, and does it have a back seat? :)

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Post by seeker78 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:00 pm

victor kros, just to clarify my last post, I did want to point out, I will be going to see GL's movie regardless of what car is chosen. So make no mistake about that. We all have our preferences and GL can't please everybody 100%, but like I said, I'll be there... :)

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:32 am

Well, like I said over the outrage with the Mustang. Anyone here who has an opportunity to and does not see either...shouldn't really be here :P
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:17 am

That concept Charger photoshop looks damn good and I still like the flip up headlights, hiding them when they're not needed.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

djshag69
Operative

Post by djshag69 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:18 pm

I am still partial to...

Ice rider coming 2009