So this new K.I.T.T. isn't the original K.I.T.T.?

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Phoenix
Volunteer

So this new K.I.T.T. isn't the original K.I.T.T.?

Post by Phoenix » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:26 pm

I've been reading news on the new Knight Rider t.v. movie comping up. It appears that K.I.T.T. in this new series is not the original.

From an article....
Sarah Graiman is a 24-year old Ph.D candidate at Stanford University, following in her genius father Charles' (Davison) footsteps. But when men attempt to abduct her, Sarah receives a mysterious call from KITT warning her that he's a creation of Charles, who also invented the first KITT 25 years ago -- and that her father is in serious danger.

I'm kind of bummed, I realize William Daniels can't play K.I.T.T. anymore but I was hoping that K.I.T.T. in this new t.v. movie would still be the original K.I.T.T. Just with a new voice box/sound.

neps
Site Administrator
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by neps » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:50 pm

Right - they are referring to this KITT as the Knight Industries Three Thousand.

The Shadow
Volunteer

Post by The Shadow » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:11 pm

Seeing as the new series is a continuation, I kinda wish NBC had tried to do something different with the vehicle's name/acronym rather than use K.I.T.T. again.
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:18 pm

he's a creation of Charles, who also invented the first KITT 25 years ago
This is confusing, wasn't it Wilton Knight who invented KITT 25 years ago?

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:52 pm

KITTfan wrote:
he's a creation of Charles, who also invented the first KITT 25 years ago
This is confusing, wasn't it Wilton Knight who invented KITT 25 years ago?
I've been thinking the exact same thing. I just kept forgetting to make a thread about it. I'm also wondering how they can make a Knight 3000 after the Knight 4000 (though I'm sure they'll pretend there never was one), and why there is a Seasons 1-2 dashboard instead of a Season 4 dashboard, which is the way we last saw K.I.T.T. It's these types of changes that irritate me, because they suggest that there was little research into the mythology of the original series.

Even though there was that inexplicable round steering wheel in Knight Rider 2000, there was also at least the Season 4 dashboard in the crates, too.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

March2875
FLAG Recruit

Re: So this new K.I.T.T. isn't the original K.I.T.T.?

Post by March2875 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:03 am

If they are careful and educated on the show's history they can make both the Charles Graiman inventing Kitt as well as the old dash work. Here's how.

Charles Graiman could have easily worked for Wilton Knight designing Kitt.

Say Michael Knight is the one rebuilding the original Kitt. Perhaps He's going by the ESB (Emergency Schematic Blueprint) introduced in Goliath. Bonnie upgraded to the newer style in a pinch perhaps she never upgraded the ESB. Michael could reference all of this in the story.

Phoenix
Volunteer

Post by Phoenix » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:03 pm

This is what bothers me the most. Since this new K.I.T.T. is not the original A.I. then what happened to the original K.I.T.T.? Was he destroyed, or did F.L.A.G. dismantle him? Will the new t.v. movie tell us what happend to the original K.I.T.T.?

I think it's a mistake to have a "new" K.I.T.T., they should have taken orignal K.I.T.T. and "update" him putting him in the new car. The same way they did with the Knight Rider 2000 movie.

kitt1987
Recruit

Post by kitt1987 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:51 am

or here's a scary thought....what if the producers decided to follow the ending of the TKR series and the original KITT is that hellish walking hologram? Didn't "Michael Knight" show up at the end of the show as well? Ha ha that show was TERRIBLE!!!

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Post by seeker78 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:41 pm

I agree with the original poster of the thread, it's stupid to have a new model of KITT, come on, KITT is a software program, there's no reason to think you can't port said software to new hardware.

Oh well, I guess it's ok as long as they explain the original car was destroyed somehow, or dismantled.

It all depends on how it's implemented in the actual series. :)

--Brian

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Re:

Post by cloudkitt » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:35 am

The Shadow wrote:Seeing as the new series is a continuation, I kinda wish NBC had tried to do something different with the vehicle's name/acronym rather than use K.I.T.T. again.
I thought they should have made it the the 3000 back when I saw KR2000. Even though they never said it, KIFT is lame.

This show appears to have fewer and fewer nods to the original as time goes by, I don't see anything wrong with keeping the name as KITT. And if they do use that 'dismantled' excuse again. That would be so dumb. Why the hell would you dismantle it? HOW would you dismantle an invincible car anyway? If the Knight 2000 is gone, it should either destroyed or lost. Otherwise, even if it doesn't appear, it should be with Michael Knight.

(If they do get William Daniels in, even for a brief stint as the Knight 2000, that could be funny. As he would likely be annoyed that they're using the same acronym :wink: )
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:14 am

From what I said in the "Cars as characters: why NBC might get it right this time" thread:
Lost Knight wrote:Well, if the producers are to continue the tradition with the acronyms (excluding Team Knight Rider here), there's not very many choices they have. The Knight 4000 was already introduced, and would be named K.I.F.T.; and so would a theoretical Knight 5000; or, if they decided to make each Knight vehicle with only even numbers, the next one up would be the Knight 6000, K.I.S.T. The acronyms would just get weirder and weirder.

And if they decided to go the TKR route and just give the car a flat out name and avoid an acronym altogether, fans would complain that the name doesn't stand for anything. So, having the Knight 3000 retain the same name is OK with me, but it does get confusing. That's why I'm going to call the original K.I.T.T. by his name and the Mustang simply the Knight 3000.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:54 am

seeker78 wrote:I agree with the original poster of the thread, it's stupid to have a new model of KITT, come on, KITT is a software program, there's no reason to think you can't port said software to new hardware.
How many Pentium Duo Core processor systems do you know now running Windows 3.1 or DOS as their OS? Software grows and eventually gets replaced partly to suit the needs of physical architecture and the needs of users. Mustang KITT no doubt has little "shared" circuitry with Trans Am KITT and is probably based on all new tech - so I'm not surprised a new AI was needed. Besides, it offers an opportunity for a different dynamic between car and driver. Sometimes doing a sequel means moving forward, not back.
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

PaoloM
Recruit

Post by PaoloM » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:58 am

How many Pentium Duo Core processor systems do you know now running Windows 3.1 or DOS as their OS? Software grows and eventually gets replaced partly to suit the needs of physical architecture and the needs of users.

We are talking about fictional software so real world examples are difficult to make. But you are right, if KITT is a piece of software from 1982, then it surely has to be updated. Service Pack anyone? ;-)

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:09 am

PaoloM wrote:We are talking about fictional software so real world examples are difficult to make. But you are right, if KITT is a piece of software from 1982, then it surely has to be updated. Service Pack anyone? ;-)
Totally fair statement. However, themeatically it makes sense too. If all they do is use the old KITT, even with Daniels voicing him, he will forever be compared to the KITT from the 80's in personality and by extension, his relationship with Tracer would be compared too. At least with a new AI, the Mustang KITT can develop its own personality and relationship with other characters. It gives the writers more freedom and if there's a series, more room for creativity.
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:56 pm

ok.. lets see if I have this right.....

First people get upset because we have a new car being used instead of the original Trans-am...

Then we have people upset because the shows not an exact copy of the original...

now we have people complaining becasue the show is keeping something from the original show and still calling the car KITT?
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ckeller22
Operative

Post by ckeller22 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:04 am

Well I think Michael and Kitt are still together in the new Knight Rider and supposedly went on hiatus and disappeared.I don't know if this is true but I heard this is apart of th new story line. They might write in that after Devon died Michael and Kitt took this hiatus.So if Michael has Kitt than Charles who needs to create a new Kitt in replace of Kitt would need to create a new A.I. That's just my thought.

Knight316
Operative

Post by Knight316 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:57 am

I think that's the best way to do it. KITT was Michael's car so he would have gone with him when he went on leave from the Foundation. My ideal scene for the new show would be Knight comes back to convince Tracer that one man can make a difference and that it's his time now. Tracer doesn't think it's for him and takes off. Michael drives off to try and save the day and later with some coaxing from new KITT, Tracer finally realizes that this is what he wants to do we see the new KITT fly past Michael and old KITT on the road. Michael cracks a smile and tells KITT they're going home, pulls a classic Knight Rider 180 and drives off.

capridrifter
Volunteer

Post by capridrifter » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:21 am

the firebird is HORRIBLY Outdated I am GLAD SO GLAD that they are not using a pontiac...and didn't Pontiac have a problem with it back in the 80's? if so what makes any of us think they wont now?...Besides the firebird was the hottest thing in the 80's and now the Shelby mustang in now the hottest thing. they have a good thing going right now.

Besides how many youngsters want to see some old wrinkly dude drive around in an old rust bucket? (Not MY opinion but it could be some young kids opinion...Just saying) :kittspin:

russ121
Stranger

Post by russ121 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:40 pm

i think the new k.i.t.t is not as good as the original trans-am they should definitley have kept to the original car but with some more upto date modifications and it will never replace the original ! kitt was born a trans-am and will die as a trans-am the new ford gt500 will just be a wannabe and never be a true contender for kitt as it is not as sleek looking as the trans-am they should have a serious rethink to their decision :kitt:

KNIGHT372
Volunteer

Post by KNIGHT372 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:30 pm

i like the new K.I.T.T. better than the 1st cuz the ne wone has more attitude than the 1st one and also thenew one i sa little more cockier in his voice than the orignal K.I.T.T. come on people its just a little change and it is not the end of the world so it wont kills us kk. :kitt: :kitt2:

KnightLady
Operative

Post by KnightLady » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:13 pm

KNIGHT372 wrote:i like the new K.I.T.T. better than the 1st cuz the ne wone has more attitude than the 1st one and also thenew one i sa little more cockier in his voice than the orignal K.I.T.T. come on people its just a little change and it is not the end of the world so it wont kills us kk. :kitt: :kitt2:

I don't think it's the end of the world for Knight Rider because they are making these changes, but it's more like they are going from one extreme to another. Yeah, the 80s T/A was popular in it's time and now the Mustang is popular now. From what I'm reading reading and comprehending out of this thread, and other debates in this forum on the old vs. new KR, is that people are missing the link that binds original era of KR to this era of KR. Having KITT dismantled is basically sacreligious to some KR purists and well as having this Mustang on the plate as new KITT is a downright sin. I'll admit to a certain extent I'm having problems with adjusting to the new KITT being a Mustang. It's not that I don't like Ford or Mustang, it more like, and I have said this before in other threads, that they should've kinda kept with the original concept of KITT, but updated it's look. It's more of a continuation that way, instead of a extreme.

McTrooper
Volunteer

Post by McTrooper » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:16 pm

Phoenix wrote:This is what bothers me the most. Since this new K.I.T.T. is not the original A.I. then what happened to the original K.I.T.T.? Was he destroyed, or did F.L.A.G. dismantle him? Will the new t.v. movie tell us what happend to the original K.I.T.T.?

I think it's a mistake to have a "new" K.I.T.T., they should have taken orignal K.I.T.T. and "update" him putting him in the new car. The same way they did with the Knight Rider 2000 movie.
They need a very good reason for K.I.T.T. to be out of commission! I hope there is something logical like Old K.I.T.T. was hit with an EMP blast that erased his circuits, programing, and memory. It was unthinkable that the 2000 movie said they just mothballed K.I.T.T.

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:33 pm

this could kinda tie in with a reply i made to another thread about Devon being murdered...

the original KITT would have known the composition of his MBS and when Devon died (however they explain in the new show) KITTs CPU had to be dismantled to stop the formula from falling into the wrong hands...

which is why there is an entirely new CPU in the new car...

McTrooper
Volunteer

Post by McTrooper » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:32 am

pheonix_knight wrote:this could kinda tie in with a reply i made to another thread about Devon being murdered...

the original KITT would have known the composition of his MBS and when Devon died (however they explain in the new show) KITTs CPU had to be dismantled to stop the formula from falling into the wrong hands...

which is why there is an entirely new CPU in the new car...
Interesting theory, but a tragic end to K.I.T.T. would make more sense. It would explain why Michale isn't out there in the field with K.I.T.T. It would also help explain why a new car hasn't been developed until now.

I'd rather have K.I.T.T. die than be dismantled.

rhdaussiekitt
FLAG Recruit

Post by rhdaussiekitt » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:11 am

the way I see this new nbc / and larsn later on , is its like the batman movies.
they had all the early ones ie keaton , clooney, etc
now the batman begins sereis etc..
and now there kinda doing it with knight rider.. look at how many incarnations if thats the word, Star trek had and a new star trek movie out later in the year.. so why cant knight rider be re don or continued with a modern feel..
We had our kit in the 80's , now theres a new kitt, and later on another new kitt with the Larson project..
so I'm all for it, we've always got our favourite kitt on dvd now.. :kitt: :dash4:
--knightman--