KITT's New Interior

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

seeker78
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: KITT's New Interior

Post by seeker78 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:24 pm

ok, well, check out this link, this shows the ship's control station, or helm, or what you would call "the dashboard and driver's seat" in a car, on various classes of submarines, including one that I served on.

http://garywachs.com/pages/dgcp1.htm#CompareShipControl

(btw, while I don't know much about cars, I do know a lot about submarines, since I am a board certified submariner, silver dolphins and all! :) and I did stand the helm watch on the USS Florida)

On the far left, you have the USS Virginia, which is a brand new class of submarine being built for the modern anti-terrorism missions in shallow water (she can still do the deep water missions). Notice it is ENTIRELY glass cockpit, which is unusual for the Navy but I guess it has local battery backup in addition to being on the Vital Bus (the vital bus gets powered even when the diesel and nuclear reactor are both down and the boat is going off batteries). Plus, they have a chief (paygrade E-7, like a sergeant in the army) at that watch, which tells me that it integrates the helm and the Chief of the Watch. That screen in the far left of the Virginia pic looks like a ballast control panel, where they control how much water is being stored on the boat for buoyancy (Archimedes law: if a given vessel takes on more water she will sink, if she has less mass than the water she displaces, she will float), as well as controlling when human waste storage and other storage tanks are discharged. On the florida it was all physical switches and digital/analog indicators.

I heard that on the Virginia, the control is fly by wire; you're giving digital commands to the computer which actually turns the boat as commanded. On my boat, you could control it without the computer, as the helm was hydraulically connected to the actual rudder.

We did have autopilot as well, but that was rarely used. The computer was considered too slow to be trusted if fast changes had to be made (this was 80s computer tech). I would guess that has changed on the Virginia, she is probably on autopilot most of the time.

Next to that you have two views of the USS Seawolf, it's one generation behind the USS Virginia, but only 3 seawolf class boats were built. Anyway, you can see it does have the large digital screens, but also large analog gages as backup. If the AC power on the boat fails, the analog gages will still work. on the left in that picture you can see a Ballast Control Panel, it's the panel with the series of 11 red lights.

Finally you have a picture of my boat, the USS Florida. Unfortunately you can't blow that one up because the link is bad. But our digital displays were smaller, and the analog was bigger.

When I was on the helm you were supposed to watch both. For example, if you are controlling course, you have to keep it within 1 degree of ordered course. You have an analog course indicator, and underneath that is a digital course indicator. under both of these is an analog indicator that shows you how much your rudder is shifted. It also has a digital indicator, red LEDs that tell you how far to the left or right.

What you don't want to do is "single stick" where one guy controls both course and depth, that's hard!

Point of showing all this is that KITT should have looked at least like the Seawolf, with analog as a backup.

btw -- the boats are a lot smaller than they make it look in the movies, huh? close quarters.. :lol: let me put it this way, on the helm, if Dive (the guy sitting behind the helm) has bad breath, you would know! :lol: I had some good times driving though, even though I sucked!!

--Brian

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:33 pm

Mr.MojoRisin wrote:Man, everyone's so ready to hate the new show.
I'm not. :)

I'm looking forward to it. It's a new Knight Rider show, so of course it's being updated. I think it'll stand on it's own two feet.
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KnightLady
Operative

Post by KnightLady » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:27 pm

Right now, it is just showing a picture that is pretty much inside any typical car that is out there on the highway. Hopefully, after February we'll have more pictures of what they are actually going to have in the new interior of KITT. Then we shall see if it actually compares to the original.

AzBat360
Recruit

Post by AzBat360 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:35 pm

I'm new here, but I haven't seen much discussion regarding this pic:

http://jalopnik.com/photogallery/KITTKn ... 1000316143

Is it legit or not? If so, I think that at least shows that it's not a normal Mustang interior.

AzBat360

AzBat360
Recruit

Post by AzBat360 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:01 pm

Oops my bad. I had just skimmed the thread and didn't see the image included inline before I posted. I'll be quiet now. LOL ;)

Anyway, figured I say a little about myself while I'm here. Probably not as big of fan as those here, but I watched religiously when I was growing up(35 now). Even built the ERTL model. Haven't watched much of it since it went off the air, but I'm very excited to watch the new movie. Would love if they brought it back as a new series. I'm reserving judgement on whether or not it is any good considering the changes, but I loved the changes in Transformers movie. So I'm not adverse to large changes provided they get the heart of what was the show. I think they understand that too.

AzBat360

MrPayner
Operative

Post by MrPayner » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:42 am

I had to post this cause it looks so dodgy this close.. [tv will be different].. You can see glue marks everywhere.. :(

http://jalopnik.com/photogallery/kittbr ... b1280x1280

Adz

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:01 am

thats kinda looks like the first mock up.

Judging from the clips on youtube, they have better versions now... mind you that might be what the CGI work is for :lol:
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

spto
Volunteer

Post by spto » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:24 pm

Meh...The interiors don't impress me much. I'm sure it'll look a lot better on TV though. I can't wait for this show tonight!

Crumbling Down
FLAG Recruit

Post by Crumbling Down » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:12 am

What the heck was the metallic looking thing in the rear seat in the middle? It looked like some kind of protective cover or something. It also looked like it had some labeling or wording on it of some type.
Booonnnnnzzzzaaaaaiii!!!!!!!! As michael turbo boosts to score the extra point. His face is so funny when he yells this and when he hits turbo boost his eyes get huge and he flies back into the seat

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:22 am

I think it's supposed to be KITT cpu system.

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:39 am

Based on the pic from Jalopnik of the interior's concept and what we finally saw last night, I get the impression that budget limitations played a role here. The mock up pic shows more glowing lights (especially in that part in the center towards the back) and a holographic display - neither of which came into play in the movie. That said, I'm sure if this went to series we'd be seeing a ton of "Device of the week" episodes where more items will be added to KITT's roster of abilities.

As much as I enjoyed the film, I was rather underwhelmed by the interior. I was hoping for a bit more folding panels and such. I didn't expect everything to be blazingly obvious and push button in an age where voice activated commands are a reality. Examples of what I liked were the fold down keyboard and the "tray o' devices" that slid out.
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

poilala
Volunteer

Post by poilala » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:07 pm

Yeah, the interior definitely could've been better, but I guess we'll see a lot more if this is made into a series.
I'd like to see an on-windshield HUD as many cars already have that (the Citroën C6 for example). Also, there is a lot of free space on the dashboard in front of the passenger seat : more than enough to add cool new functions :D

davidknightrider
Rookie

Post by davidknightrider » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:14 pm

i reckon they could update the voice modulator to like the Knight 2000's was from the season 2 onwards.

Right now, this new voice modulator looks like a sideways version of the original pilot kitt voice box.

KamenRider
Recruit

Post by KamenRider » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:58 pm

At first glance I was underwhelmed by the interior to but I've seen full shots of it that make it look more impressive. The main thing is that you have to be willing to go along with the basic philosophy behind the design which even though I totally dig the original interior, is actually very sound. I truly adore that whole "inside of the Millenium Falcon" look but I can't really argue with the simple fact that technology in this age is designed around being very, very sleek and clean and the new interior reflects that just as the lights and push-button tech of the original reflected the 80's.

It'd be kinda fun to have some sort of team-up between KITT and Y2KITT where you could sort of showcase the pros and cons of both.

All in all though, I think they'll tweak the design as the series goes on.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:57 pm

Here's some interior shots I caught of the dashboard:

Before CGI effect:

After CGI effect:

“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Drake
Operative

Post by Drake » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:25 pm

I like the digital guages. Pretty slick. Wish the ones in my ride looked like that.
The Kenner Knight 2000 Voice Car. One toy can make a difference.........