What happened to Michael Long?

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

KarlKnightRider
Recruit

What happened to Michael Long?

Post by KarlKnightRider » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:44 pm

Ok, I know Michael Long was shot point blank in front of his TransAm by Tanya Walker. But what actually happened to him as far as other people were concerned?

In the pilot, Devon mentions that Wilton stole a body from a medical school for the police to find with Michael Longs car. But later in Knightmares the newspaper article comments on Michael Long disappearing and was presumed and pronounced dead.

Were all the authorities notified on the "death" of Michael Long and his new identity? In Knightmares again, one of his old police colleagues telephones Devon Miles when a man looking like him claims to be Michael Long.

Another thing to consider, is when Michael Long's grave was robbed. If he had only gone missing, and Wilton hadn't stolen a body, then surely he wouldn't have had an actual grave.

And a final thing (from me and for now), is that Michael Knight was given a new face primarily to prevent him from being recognised by Tanya and co and for them to think Michael Long was dead. But later on, especially as the series progresses, and Michael meets Stevie and Tanyas former lover who finds out that he's Michael Long, why did they never let him notify loved ones that although listed as missing and presumed dead, that he was in fact live and well.

I know this was long winded and I apologise, but I find this just as complex and up for debate as "was KITT Michael Long's car".

Would love to hear other peoples opinions and thoughts. Especially Victor Kross who could possible gain some information from Glen himself.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Lost Knight » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:19 pm

As for explanations from Glen, I suspect that he will lean more towards the facts suggested in the Pilot, which he wrote and intended the series to follow. I know he didn't directly supervise the series anymore after 13 episodes, but as far as I know he overlooked the scripts from then on, so if that were the case it would surprise me that he'd allow discrepancies like that to not be changed. My guess is it was because plot devices were needed for future episodes, which simply could not have existed had they stayed true to what was established in the Pilot.

Anyway, my explanation for the whole "body" argument is that Wilton did indeed steal a body from the morgue and planted it. Despite 1982 being before DNA was commonly used to identify bodies, I suspect the police somehow realized it was not Michael Long's body. Therefore, they let it officially be known that Michael Long was "missing." Wilton, following up with Michael's new identity, arranged a gravestone to be erected to help cover it all up, anyway. Perhaps even some "hush money" was given to the cops directly involved and they went along with it (though I realize this may be beginning to be a stretch now).

As for the car being left in the desert from the article in "Knightmares," I'm maintaining simply that K.I.T.T. was not built into Michael's Trans Am. I also say it wasn't a coincidence, either, and that Wilton's choice for K.A.R.R. (and later the Knight 2000) was actually inspired by Michael's car. We don't know how long Wilton had been following Michael around before the Pilot episode, so I feel this explanation is a great alternative to the "coincidence" theory.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

KnightLegend
Rookie

Re: What happened to Michael Long?

Post by KnightLegend » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:10 am

Your body argument sounds good. Maybe Wilton had a body found and grave dug and had Long reported missing just to ensure confusion about what really happened to Michael Long. After all, Tanya and her merry crew would've probably presumed he was dead after shooting him and may not have cared about hi being reported missing.

Niggle Snoosh
Operative

Post by Niggle Snoosh » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:23 pm

KarlKnightRider wrote:And a final thing (from me and for now), is that Michael Knight was given a new face primarily to prevent him from being recognised by Tanya and co and for them to think Michael Long was dead. But later on, especially as the series progresses, and Michael meets Stevie and Tanyas former lover who finds out that he's Michael Long, why did they never let him notify loved ones that although listed as missing and presumed dead, that he was in fact live and well.
I would simply assume that it wqas considered but the descision was made that it was safer that way to maintain the illusion of his death or perhaps it would be just too painful to say goodbye.
Also from what i remember there was only one cop that was aware of his identity change (but i could be wrong about
that)
Lost Knight wrote:We don't know how long Wilton had been following Michael around before the Pilot episode
I always though that too because of the line "My God, we're too late" and the impeccable timing of their arrival, it doesn't seem like a last minute decision, although you would have thought he was chosen because he was a loner persona but until only moments before he did have a partner.
Also the doctor/surgeon says "we'll never know what he looked like" but if he was under the microscope they would. then again of course there would be no reason for the doctor to know that.
But i get the impression he had be chosen for their program for some while.
Lost Knight wrote:As for the car being left in the desert from the article in "Knightmares," I'm maintaining simply that K.I.T.T. was not built into Michael's Trans Am. I also say it wasn't a coincidence, either, and that Wilton's choice for K.A.R.R. (and later the Knight 2000) was actually inspired by Michael's car.
I think i could go either way on this point, i love the idea that KARR was modelled on Michaels T/A and to me it makes perfect sense in that respect why KITT and KARR look identical in 'Trust Doesn't Rust". However i could still see KITT as being built from Michaels car. In the conversation between Michael and Devon from the pilot your theory could be taken either way

Devon: "the only resemblence between that car and your own is purely superficial"
Michael: "what are you talking about, thats my car. left it in the desert"
Devon: "No!, it may look like your car but in actuallity this is probably the most expensive car in the world"
Michael: "This is my car"

Although Devon insists it is different to his car he doesny outright say it another T/A

My theory is that Wilton Knight came looking for Michael once KARR was operational and people were unaware of his survival code being a problem, as it seems a little too coincidental to appear at that moment in time unless they were keep tabs on Tanya & co which is possible.
There is no mention of how long it took for Michael to recover, i have always got the feeling he had been left in some sort of coma for a least a few weeks. It is in that time frame they discovered KARR's flaws and had to build another one into Michaels T/A.
Considering Wilton Knight's deteriation of health and preoccupation with young Michael during this timeframe could easily explain why KARR wasn't destroyed as planned.
Michael: "Devon, someone tried to kill me last night!"
Devon: "I have an alibi"

Making_Waves_of_my_Own
Recruit

Post by Making_Waves_of_my_Own » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:51 pm

Perhaps the "My God! We're too late!" comment followed by the doctor's comment, "We'll never know what he looked like." suggests that Wilton Knight was in communication with Michael Long before the desert shooting via telephone, perhaps for the past few weeks, and had actually arranging to meet him for the first time for in-depth discussions on his project (Knight 2000).

That's my idea as I was reading this thread.

Niggle Snoosh
Operative

Post by Niggle Snoosh » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:58 pm

I would assume IF Wilton Knight had kept tabs on him for some time he would have seen his police/employment files and know what he looks like. I also feel that by showing up and that point they must have been tracking his movements to find him but thats just me
Michael: "Devon, someone tried to kill me last night!"
Devon: "I have an alibi"

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:54 pm

When Devon says the only resemblance between this car and your own is entirely superficial.Perhaps he meant superficial as in just the exterior looks like your car but the insides are that of an entirely new form of engineering.

knightofthephoenix
Operative

Post by knightofthephoenix » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:17 pm

This is interesting. I never thought Wilton was keeping tabs on Michael, I think he was keeping taps on Tanya and her gang.

When Michael tells him he wants to go after them, Wilton tells him he's wanted to as well.

greelywinger
Rookie

Post by greelywinger » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:45 pm

When Wilton said "My God! We're too late!" perhaps ment that Wilton thought he was already dead.
I'm sure that Michael Long was under consideration by Wilton, and Wilton knew what Michael Long looked like.
Perhaps the doctor's comment of "We'll never know what he looked like." was actually true for him.
Perhaps the doctor didn't have that kind of information.
The next point is contradictory. Stay with me here.... Wilton stole a body from a medical school for the police to find with Michael Longs car. Even before DNA was commonly used to identify bodies, they could have gone with dental records. If it was discovered that it was not Michael Longs body, it must have been kept very hush.
So that everybody, except a select few, thought that Michael Long was dead (hence the grave & tombstone).
But then where did the body that Wilton stole end up? Shouldn't it have been in the casket at Michael Longs funeral?
If it was, why was the casket empty in 'Knightmares'
As for the newspaper article...newspapers are often getting it wrong.
OK...OK, now the car....
I believe that Wilton had Michael under consideration for the FLAG project for a long time (several months) which gave them the time to (in the early stages) construct KARR, based on the design of Michael Long's car.
So basically KARR being a T/A was inspired by Michael Long's T/A.
Sorry to be so long winded.

A lot of KARR's basic functions were duplicated into KITT. The only major difference being the basic programming.
So they really didn't have to build a whole new car. Especially since they were on a deadline.
Also Michael's recovery period was at least several weeks, given that Devon told Wilton that the car would be ready within the month. So when Michael said "This is my car", what he really meant was 'this looks like my car'
Or...A T/A is a T/A is a T/A...
"I'd like my songs to be durable to the ear and exciting to the mind" Marc Bolan

GN_WS6
Rookie

Post by GN_WS6 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:35 pm

No, because when MK said, "Devon, this is my car I left it out in the desert, besides, it's in my name.." The Devon says, "That's where you're wrong, but then he hands him the title or insurance card, or something and it says "82 Pontiac" and it was titled in Micheal Knights name. But then Devon says that only similarites between this car and your own is purely suprficial. Actually, he said that first, but you get the point, lol. I honestly believe that KITT was Micheal Longs T/A, hence thats why those guys were working on it constantly. Plus, someone would've found ML's car in the desert, so I'm sure Wilton confiscated it, since he gave them "someone elses body".. Finding ML's car in the desert would've raised some questions..
The real KITT was born a Trans Am.

greelywinger
Rookie

Post by greelywinger » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:53 pm

So the newspaper article in Knightmares is false.
If it was left in the desert, then KItt was not made from Michael's car.
If KITT was made from Michael's car, then there would be no car to be left in the desert.
Confused yet? :?
"I'd like my songs to be durable to the ear and exciting to the mind" Marc Bolan

knightofthephoenix
Operative

Post by knightofthephoenix » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:07 pm

KITT was not made from Michael Long's car!

But he did drive a similar looking Trans Am and I would think that's why he drove off with KITT so willingly after he refused (numerous times) to work for the foundation.

Knightling
Recruit

Post by Knightling » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:26 am

I remember in the season 3 opener, Devon talking about someone that was to be the driver before Michael. Ken Franklin, I believe his name was. I think maybe he was to drive K.A.R.R. Devon says that the F.L.A.G. project was put on hold until they found Michael, probably in this time they discovered the problem with K.A.R.R.'s programming, once Michael was found, put K.I.T.T. into production...but, i'm pretty sure that this story was not in the minds of Larson when writing the pilot.

greelywinger
Rookie

Post by greelywinger » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:47 am

Didn't Devon say ...put the entire project on hold, and didn't reactivate it until Wilton found you"
This would seem to suggest that KARR was built before Michael was involved.
Also, if this is true, then Michael owning a black T/A was just a coincidence.
Once the project was reactivated, they got to work on the other car (KITT), before Michael was shot in the desert.
It wasn't by much though, maybe a week or so. Just when Wilton showed an interest in Michael.
Wilton saying "My God! We're too late!" meant that he thought Michael was already dead.
He didn't find out until later about the metal plate in Michael's skull that deflected the bullet.

greelywinger
Rookie

Post by greelywinger » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:11 pm

I was rereading the Knight Rider Legacy book and came across this (from page 20)...

Wilton Knight, dying billionaire and owner of Knight Industrieds, Inc. had his eye on young Michael Long for quite a while....He was flying out to Reno to recruit Michael Long when Wilton discovered his motionless body on a deserted road in the Nevada desert.