Knight Rider 2000 why was it so bad?

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

goldbug
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Knight Rider 2000 why was it so bad?

Post by goldbug » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:49 pm

greelywinger wrote:The only real highlight for me was the first meeting between Michael & Devon (at Michael's cabin).
Don't get me wrong, there are some golden nuggets in the movie. Among my favorites:

1) What you mention above, Devon and Michael meeting.

2) Michael reconnecting KITT and their first "Hello" in ages "You look like crap."

3) KITT's brief convo with KIFT "smart ass car" indeed. :)

4) The sequence where Michael transfers KITT's AI to the KIFT shell.

They were just few and far between is all.
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:58 pm

i heard they changed the original script for this...I wonder what the original was like?

knight rider uk
Rookie
Location: somewhere over the rainbow way up high theres the one that i dream of once in a lulleby.

Post by knight rider uk » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:19 am

Kram061-1 wrote:i heard they changed the original script for this...I wonder what the original was like?
This is what it could have been?

http://www.knightriderarchive.com/2000/1-2000-1.html
I knew when i first saw you, how could i not adore you,you kissed away my tears and washed away my pain-and now the sun is riseing

CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant

Post by CJaguar442 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:38 pm

The original script was much better they should of went with this one, typical NBC bureaucracy at their finest. :kitt:
Re-elect Mayor Goldie wilson, Progress is his middle name!
Save the Clocktower!
Go Boston Red Sox! Go Boston Bruins! Go Boston Celtics!
Go the distance and he will come!

Drake
Operative

Post by Drake » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:17 pm

knight rider uk wrote:
Kram061-1 wrote:i heard they changed the original script for this...I wonder what the original was like?
This is what it could have been?

Wonder if they ever did any concept photos of what the new KITT was gonna look like? That story had alot more heart and soul in that what we actually got with KR2000. Glad I got to read that. Thanks!
The Kenner Knight 2000 Voice Car. One toy can make a difference.........

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:32 pm

I would LOVE to see either a cartoon or a CGI, preferably a CGI movie of this, or something very similiar, as a tie in to the newest movie

dulobast25
Stranger

Post by dulobast25 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:23 pm

Lost Knight wrote:
March2875 wrote:What I didn't like was that Devon Miles was murdered, the original Kitt got dismantled, and that it was set in the future. Knight Rider was about the car of the future being in the present.

A woman taking over didn't really bother me. One woman can make a difference just as easily as a man can. The fact that Kitt's chip ended up in her head was rather dumb though.
That's funny, because the reasons you mentioned why you didn't like the movie are the only aspects of the movie that I liked. Did I like seeing Devon die? Well, not necessarily, but I thought it created a very poignant scene and was an emotional tragedy, which is important in order to make the audience care about the film and/or its characters.

Did I like that the Knight 2000 was dismantled? I remember hating it when I first watched it as a 9-year-old. (And by the way, just where the hell did that steering wheel in the crates come from, anyway!?) Looking back now, however, I think it was a logical extrapolation of the original series. Think about it: we last saw K.I.T.T. in 1986, and according to the film, he and Michael's adventures continued through 1990. The movie takes place in the year 2000...so, would it be logical to keep a 1982 vehicle with series 2000 circuitry as the primary vehicle for the Knight Foundation? I certainly still don't use my old Compaq Presario from 2000 nowadays... Russ Maddock was certainly a cold, unlikeable character, but he did have a point when he said, "the car didn't exactly have fresh oil on the dipstick."

As for the character of Shawn McCormick, the fact that she was a woman taking over is not what bugged me. What bugged me is that for some reason I just didn't care about her character. The fact that she had a connection with K.I.T.T. by having one of his chips implanted in her brain was a little silly, too (as was the whole nonsense with being able to read peoples' thoughts and see them on monitors). To this day I can't quite figure out exactly why I don't like her character. Perhaps it's just that I didn't find her passionate or interesting enough (especially compared to Michael Knight, which is who everyone was watching the movie for, anyway). I guess she sort of worked for the TV movie, but I couldn't see her as a strong enough character to lead a new series.

Next, I hated the whole deal with the '57 Chevy. Sure, it was a little humorous to see K.I.T.T. being downgraded into such an old vehicle. But I would have preferred for the writers to have simply kept him as a pile of electronics than to put him in that car. The Knight 4000 wasn't all that bad, I thought. The problem was not even that it looked awkward from certain angles, but that it was RED. Someone brought up a point earlier that K.I.T.T. did everything the Knight 4000 did, and I agree, except for the Virtual Reality Mode. What's wrong with actual reality?

Finally, the main reason why I didn't like the movie was not even the lack of turbo boosts or the original Trans Am. The reason I didn't like it was because it just wasn't a fun movie. When Glen Larson says the film missed the point, he's 100 percent right. The movie was just overall a bit too sci-fi and a bit too serious. Its entire tone was completely different than that of the original series. Jan Hammer's score wasn't necessarily bad music, but it just didn't fit well in what was supposed to be an action movie. Playing jazz music while Michael was fighting Tommy Watts didn't exactly make things feel climactic, either. In fact, I think 50 percent of the movie's problems could have been solved by simply making a score that fit better into the overall movie, even if no other elements were changed. Why didn't they call Don Peake or Stu Phillips?

that s how i felt about terminator3 especially the music

dulobast25
Stranger

Post by dulobast25 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:41 pm

cloudkitt wrote:I agree goldbug, in fact the one thing you said was also a problem in the new one. Don't get me wrong, I liked it, but the car didn't really DO a whole lot.

I recently just watched KotP, they REALLY showcased KITT's abilities in that. Apart from him being invincible, talking, incredible speed and self-driving. He Turbo Boosted no less than 3 times, uses Ski Mode, 2 separate uses for ejector seats, oil slick, smoke screen, and the more mundane stuff like scanning and whatnot.
In KR2000, the car detects a dear ahead on the road, pops another car's tires, turns into a boat (and the boat ride isn't even exciting, it's just get around traffic and is a rather pleasant ride.
The new one had a similar problem. The new KITT talked, could go real fast and was (for the most part) invincible. But it didn't really do anything. Sure it could access the internet and get pictures, it also camouflaged itself and used an updated Super Pursuit Mode. ...and that was really it. It didn't do very many stunts. The climax of the hour was a further example of its invincibility. As opposed to KotP's intense build up from the escape from prison to the airport (and packed with stunts in between).

I know I'm a little off topic, and again, I really did enjoy the new pilot - and it was LOADS better than KR2000. But the remakes just haven's been able to recreate that showcasing of the car's abilities. That Andron guy kept saying they want to reveal KITT's abilities over the course of the series - if it goes to one. But why? KotP went all out in the very beginning, REALLY displaying that KITT was a super car. And I don't know why they think that isn't a good route to take.

Just some comparisons of the 3 pilots :-P
I think they should have instead gave us a good chunk of action and abiliites in the pilot have gave and interesting taste of the characters and spread the character development rather than to rush/force character development into 2 hours and giving us a taste of the actions and abilites.
airwolf and knight rider gave us action in the plots with some char development in the beginning and developed the character over time, like you do in real life...kitt had very few new ailiites overall in the end as did airwolf..we knew the abilites, but its the story that keeps folks coming back to see more actions not vise versa.Even more so today then in the 80's people need more action to keep their interest and at the same time they are addiacted to drama and strife spead out over week by week, hence the whol facination with reality shows and big explostions and less interest in sci fi..
think about it...
it makes sense
Last edited by dulobast25 on Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:47 pm

Army_F_Body wrote:Didn't the original script involve the 2000 being used as test fodder for the 4000 on a Foundation targeting range?
Ugh. I'd hate to think they would be that heartless.

Still...if they did do that, I'm sure they would have to force KITT to be out of petrol, all the batteries pulled, half the engine missing, the windows and tires busted out...etc...just to make it a fair match.

As for T3...I'm sure it was just that well recieved in the theatres. Still remember seeing the theatre billboard by my work display it's premier one day on top...then, at the very bottom, not even one week later. It felt to me like they Columbo'ed the script of T2 and forced the ending to make T4 possible.

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:47 pm

there is a link earlier in this topic
try this

------------ AND

as for
I recently just watched KotP, they REALLY showcased KITT's abilities in that. Apart from him being invincible, talking, incredible speed and self-driving. He Turbo Boosted no less than 3 times, uses Ski Mode, 2 separate uses for ejector seats, oil slick, smoke screen, and the more mundane stuff like scanning and whatnot.

.................right on!! :kitt2: :dash:

K2007
Operative

Post by K2007 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:27 pm

It had its ups and downs.

Devon's death presented an emotional challenge for everyone and set the stage for Maddock's overinflated ego to tone down a bit.

I do agree that red WAS NOT an acceptable color the K4K. What if Kitt was sneaking around an old warehouse under cover of nightfall? He wouldn't be sneaking for long.

The K4K's supercar styling itself was a bad idea. Whatever happened to blending in? No criminal is going to take 'look out for a black Trans Am' as a warning because there were plenty of black 'Birds in the 80s. If you say 'look out for a cherry-red prototype supercar' then the perpetrator would be able to get away before Kitt was even there.

It's nice that it's set in Seattle. Kitt has the canals as a means of getting through morning rush hour.

I don't think there's going to be much of a bond between Kitt and Shawn as there was between Michael and Kitt.

They left out TURBO BOOST, SUPER PURSUIT MODE, and BONNIE BARSTOW - the three things that make the Knight 2000 Kitt.

The plotline was pretty interesting, though it was a bit shaky at times.

I think they should have put KIFT into another car so that Kitt would have a little brother to pick on.
McKurra: Read it, Karr.
KARR: But I -
McKurra: Read it.
KARR: -sigh- Genesis 1:1. In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth...
KNIGHT RIDER 2020 - a series canon by Knightsong

K2007
Operative

Post by K2007 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:27 pm

It had its ups and downs.

Devon's death presented an emotional challenge for everyone and set the stage for Maddock's overinflated ego to tone down a bit.

I do agree that red WAS NOT an acceptable color the K4K. What if Kitt was sneaking around an old warehouse under cover of nightfall? He wouldn't be sneaking for long.

The K4K's supercar styling itself was a bad idea. Whatever happened to blending in? No criminal is going to take 'look out for a black Trans Am' as a warning because there were plenty of black 'Birds in the 80s. If you say 'look out for a cherry-red prototype supercar' then the perpetrator would be able to get away before Kitt was even there.

It's nice that it's set in Seattle. Kitt has the canals as a means of getting through morning rush hour.

I don't think there's going to be much of a bond between Kitt and Shawn as there was between Michael and Kitt.

They left out TURBO BOOST, SUPER PURSUIT MODE, and BONNIE BARSTOW - the three things that make the Knight 2000 Kitt.

The plotline was pretty interesting, though it was a bit shaky at times.

I think they should have put KIFT into another car so that Kitt would have a little brother to pick on.
McKurra: Read it, Karr.
KARR: But I -
McKurra: Read it.
KARR: -sigh- Genesis 1:1. In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth...
KNIGHT RIDER 2020 - a series canon by Knightsong