Movie News: Hasselhoff Misses Out on Knight Rider Role

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:54 am

victor kros wrote:...very few Michael Knight impersonators.

=VK=
We can't rule out that there was a Michael Knight halloween costume produced a couple years back. Not too many people get it, though.

As for the movie...I think if there's a sequel, David should take a major role in it...as Garthe Knight. Imagine if the original Michael comes in to battle the new Michael. (Or, am I just being evil minded, here?)

And, that bit of history just cracks me up. The one where David's own father, upon viewing the Goliath episode, comments to David that the fella who is playing Garthe is a far superior actor to David's own abilities.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Michael Pajaro » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:24 am

jup wrote:We can't rule out that there was a Michael Knight halloween costume produced a couple years back. Not too many people get it, though.
Good point jup! Although I've never dressed up, I confess I do own the Michael Knight costume. (it was on sale, how could I NOT get it?!) So in October at least, there may be a couple hundred KITT replicas around but thousands of Michael Knights. Which is a scary thought indeed.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:14 pm

Well, original actors missing out on movie deals isn't restricted to just David Hasselhoff. William Shatner was not picked for the new Star Trek movie while Leonard Nimoy was:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Movies/ ... index.html

snafu
FLAG Recruit

Post by snafu » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:29 pm

Yeah, but Shatner put on a lot of weight since the old ST days.
Heaven, where all QC only has to be run once.

knightprobe89
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightprobe89 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:52 pm

on david hasselhoffs myspace he has the quoted article about the new knight rider tv series, i dont see why he would have that there if he wont have a part in the series, also some of the script spoilers hinted to that. and also hasselhoff was on entertainment tonight recently and stated that you will see me involved in a little show called knight rider, i think in the future. the link to that is http://www.knightridermovie.com/2008/et_10-5-07.mov

Andy R
Stranger

Post by Andy R » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:03 am

Hi, newbie here.

Someone mentioned a good point earlier about other more famous roles being recast ie Superman etc. That in itself wouldn't be a bad thing if it happened to Knight Rider, I am a huge Hoff fan myself, but a new face as Michael Knight would give it a freshness. I keep seeing Tom Jane as an ideal candidate for the role, either him or Tom Welling.
Michael - "It thinks? My Car thinks?!" Devon - "We like to think of it as 'Our' Car!"

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:01 pm

My step dad made a point the other day that another reason why the KR movie never got off the ground with Hasselhoff's involvement is because no studio wants to work with him because of his drink problem. Whether that's a fair statement to make or not is another matter but that got me thinking.

Obviously the bad blood between Larson and Hasselhoff is the general reason though.

However, I disagree that David is too old. How?? Harrison Ford is doing another Indiana Jones film, Stallone just done Rocky 6 and a new Rambo is coming (Rocky 6 was a decent sequel and Rambo 4 actually looks good) and Willis just did a new Die Hard.

I think it's become a fashionable trend for older actors to be in action roles. As long as you look good doing it then it doesn't matter and Hasselhoff doesn't look bad for his age.

lucid hysteria
Volunteer

Re:

Post by lucid hysteria » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:33 pm

Skav wrote:My step dad made a point the other day that another reason why the KR movie never got off the ground with Hasselhoff's involvement is because no studio wants to work with him because of his drink problem.
I would venture to say that a large reason any studio would not want to work with Hasselhoff on this project (in the way people are suggesting - as the star) is because HE IS DAVID HASSELHOFF. I don't know how to say it nicely, as I know we in the KR fan community are perhaps a little blind to the fact sometimes, but Hasselhoff is quite a joke in pop culture now and has been for many, many years. I don't think anyone in charge of a new Knight Rider would cast him as the regular lead of the show because no one would take said project seriously. There's nothing that says "this show is not a serious endeavor" like attaching the name David Hasselhoff - sure it worked in the Eighties, but let's remember... it was the Eighties.

If you've ever watched much Eighties television/cinema, listened to Eighties music, or looked at photographs from the Eighties, you have found, with very few exceptions (i.e. Cheers, Indiana Jones, and our very own Trans Am!), that standards were about the lowest they have ever been for entertainment (or fashion)... EVER. A pasty-white, puffy-headed, full-of-himself cheeseball as the star of a light-hearted action show was not that distasteful to Eighties viewers, who were so busy listening to Prince or wacthing Perfect Strangers, that their entire sense of good/bad entertainment was already hopelessly unmoored. But it should remain distasteful to any healthy individual who has come since.

I have to stop there before I lose track of the time analyzing all the pain and evil caused by the Eighties.

Good day.
Last edited by lucid hysteria on Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

knightridrfan84
Stranger

Re: Movie News: Hasselhoff Misses Out on Knight Rider Role

Post by knightridrfan84 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:13 pm

If you askme I think it would have been a good idea if D. Hasselhoff took the place of Devon Miles.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Re:

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:19 am

Michael Pajaro wrote:Batman, Superman, Dr. Who, Dumbledore, the cast of MASH... All very famous characters which have been recast and accepted by fans. Everyone will have their favorite actor for each role (I think we all prefer the late Richard Harris as Dumbledore) but even Michael Knight can be recast.

If Michael Long can turn into Michael Knight, surely Hasselhoff can turn into someone else!

I'm not sure completely about MASH, but Dr. Who kind of had a gimmick with there being a new doctor every few seasons and are on the tenth one now or whatever, I'd think it's more expected or people at least got use to it.

Batman and Superman are completely different as they have a sixty plus year history and were around years before they were portrayed by an actor on TV or a movie. Knight Rider on the other hand has one source and that's the original TV Series and there's only been one Michael Knight (not counting the TKR fiasco) ever and that's Hasselhoff. As for Dumbledore, it's kind of hard to consider this to be the same situation since the first actor to portray the character died so it's not as they have any choice but to recast so it's a lot easier to accept.

Clark Kent/Superman and Bruce Wayne/Batman again are bad examples since they've been around so long and were established yeras before anyone ever physically played the characters and those that have either died (Reeves and Reeve and of course his accident)or just weren't very good/fitting in the role. IMO, the only good Superman were George Reeves and Christopher Reeve (though I didn't care for his portrayal of Clark), hell even Dean Cain did a decent job as a more modern version of Superman though more so his Clark portrayal than Superman. Then of course there's the two actors that portrayed Superboy.

As for Batman, in my opinion the only good Bruce Wayne/Batman has been Christian Bale, he's succeeded where the others before him failed (yes, I do include Adam West though his was more a product of the time and Michael Keaton) and it probably doesn't hurt that the people involved actually care about the characters enough to draw influence from the source material (note to Bryan Singer: Superman existed before the Donner movie and has changed a lot since then) and not just taken the characters and mess with things while feeling the medium in which they were created were below them like Burton did. Batman was a much needed reboot and was much more widely accepted before anyone saw anything than probably the three previous live action Batmans combined. Though, Kilmer could've been a lot better with other things were different. Keaton was lucky and the less said about Clooney the better.

Of course there's also the difference of the creator of the show actually doing to reimagining so maybe that does make it a little more acceptable. I'm getting off topic here aren't I?

Annnnnnnnnyway, it'd be nice for Daniels to have a small cameo, perhaps as a scientist that worked on the project and the influence for KITT's voice or even as Wilton Knight though maybe that'd be weird if Daniels was still also voicing KITT.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Yetiii98
Recruit

Post by Yetiii98 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:56 pm

Annnnnnnnnyway, it'd be nice for Daniels to have a small cameo, perhaps as a scientist that worked on the project and the influence for KITT's voice or even as Wilton Knight though maybe that'd be weird if Daniels was still also voicing KITT
That would be cool, have him as a head researcher and his voice chosen as a template for KITT!!! Perfect

Johnathan Kent
Rookie

Post by Johnathan Kent » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:53 pm

I think David Hasselhoff may make an occasional appearance in the New series but this is a different Knight Rider than the 1980's show most of us grew up with. Not sure that The new series will try to link the old series with the new one. Team Knight Rider tried to do the same (btw, what is it with writers in TKR, KR2000, and now the KR2008 dismantling KITT)but that wasn't very succesfull(as a series). While the new Knight Rider TV movie got exceptional ratings, this is a different Knight than we grew up with, and us long term fans are gonna have to get used to it!
Charles Edward Untz III

fryedaddy
Volunteer

Post by fryedaddy » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:49 pm

Having the Hoff play Michael Knight in the theatrical movie wouldn't make any sense other than for simple nostalgia purposes. The movie is intended to be a retelling of the original story, meaning they're starting over from the beginning. Why would Wilton Knight pick a 58 year old man (basically retirement age) to be his new "YOUNG loner on a crusade to champion the cause of the innocent...."? He wouldn't, so neither will Glen Larson.

March2875
FLAG Recruit

Post by March2875 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:37 pm

Hasselhoff wanted the feature film to take the same route NBC has with the pilot/potiential new series passing the torch to his onscreen son. To me that would have been an EXCELLENT way to have taken the feature film. The remake is the second best choice.

Johnathan Kent
Rookie

Post by Johnathan Kent » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:56 pm

if Glen Larson is going to have Michael Knight have a son, then all he would be doing is a big budget retelling of what we just saw recently on NBC...that would be a waste of Universal or any other studio's time! Glen just needs to simply give a new fresh spin on the "One Man can make a difference" creating a newer KITT (Hopefully still the Knight Industries Two Thousand!) and a new driver!
Charles Edward Untz III

March2875
FLAG Recruit

Post by March2875 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:13 am

Right. That is what Larson is doing. He and David were doing the NBC idea at Revolution studios in 2001. That fell through and He and David fell out. So now He is doing the remake of the Knight Of the Phoenix Pilot with The Weinstein Company. That is why I so want the NBC deal to go to series cause it gives us the opportunity to get both visions in a way. Hasselhoff's and Larson's.

MJknight
Operative

Post by MJknight » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:19 pm

I do have one suggestion if you can't get William Daniels to reprise his role as KITT.

Have you ever heard of an English comedy actor named Chris Barrie?

The guy has done several voice over jobs and commands a huge following as the Hologram 'Rimmer' from BBC's iconic sitcom Red Dwarf.
One Man Can Make A Difference - Wilton Knight

Johnathan Kent
Rookie

Post by Johnathan Kent » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:19 pm

interesting idea!
Charles Edward Untz III

MJknight
Operative

Post by MJknight » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:33 pm

He's got the right voice for it, has played a smart-alec as Rimmer, and has that prissy and pedanticness in his tone similar to Daniels, only Barrie as Rimmer was more smarmy and self centred. But, he has the right quality voice and no offence to Daniels, he will always be KITT to me, but his age is against him.

And Chris is not even 48 yet, to the best of my knowledge.

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:29 pm

why is there bad blood between Larson and the Hoff anyway? I've heard that there is but never over what circumstances? :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :kitt2:

MJknight
Operative

Post by MJknight » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:48 pm

Because neither of them could agree on what direction the movie would take.

Johnathan Kent
Rookie

Post by Johnathan Kent » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:38 pm

in the commentary for "Knight of The Phoenix" I noticed Larson would sound like he's a little annoyed with Hasselhoff so maybe some of that started way before then....
Charles Edward Untz III

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Victor Kros » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:15 pm

Johnathan Kent wrote:in the commentary for "Knight of The Phoenix" I noticed Larson would sound like he's a little annoyed with Hasselhoff so maybe some of that started way before then....
I'm glad you noticed this as well. The friction as far as I know has stemmed from the fact David has tried to tell Glen how to further write Knight Rider and when Glen disagreed, David tried to go around him (and did with KR2000). He's also badgered him about doing the movie (which you can clearly hear on the commentary).

Glen apparently also disapproves of David's whole "The Hoff" persona, he thinks David has let his success go to his head and has forgotten where he came from and who put him there not unlike Harrison Ford with George Lucas.

You can read more about David's exploits here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knight_Rid ... sion_movie

=VK=
:dash:

Johnathan Kent
Rookie

Post by Johnathan Kent » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:30 am

actually I read somewhere that the only reason why David did KR 2000 was because NBC paid him a lot of money for it...He wasn't really thrilled with the script because it didn't have the none of the humor that the series did...I could be wrong about this but that's what I read around the time that KR2000 came out
Charles Edward Untz III

blowersho
Operative

Post by blowersho » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:16 am

If true thats pathetic, he let KR be dragged through the mud for a little coin.