Battery leakage for our Knight Rider toys?

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Battery leakage for our Knight Rider toys?

Post by imranbecks » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:23 pm

I have to bring this up as I have heard that the Transformers Masterpiece Optimus Prime is experiencing batt leakage...

To all those here who have the Aoshima 1/43 scale KITT/KARR and the AOSHIMA/ERTL 1/18 scale KITT/KARR models, have any of you guys experienced battery leakage on them yet? I'm really worried becoz I have not removed the batteries since I bought them a couple of years back.... So far, no leakage.. Not yet at least...

andy-kitt
FLAG Assistant

Post by andy-kitt » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:25 pm

The old large batteries like the 80s talking KITT are likely to leak, but think you'll be OK with the cell batteries in these modern ones, i've not removed the batteries either.

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:30 pm

I just checked the batts for the 1/43 and 1/18 cars... The batts are beginning to rust so I took them out before they start to damage the batt contacts. They are on display now without batteries... I think you guys better check on yours too..

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:43 am

Just checked my 1/18 KITT model I got in 2004, the batteries are still original but doesn't show signs of rust or leak, at least yet.
The "leafs" that take contact to the batteries in the compartment are quite strong so when I opened the cover, half of the batteries + the cover popped on my face so I suggest being careful when opening it.
Took few pics of them:
ImageImage
ImageImage

I painted the battery cover + the end of the exhahustpipes black when I did the other changes to my model.

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:23 am

It's always a good idea to swap batteries once a year. Dealing with leakage is such a headache. (Getting out the baking soda and scrubbing away in tight spots. Ugh.) Plus, if you purchase these types of cell batteries through e-bay auctions, you can darn near get them by packs of 50 for a similar price as two from many commercial stores. It's so close, it's almost funny to even consider NOT going mail order.

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Re: Battery leakage for our Knight Rider toys?

Post by KITTfan » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:01 am

Decided to check again the batteries. Still no signs of leak but checked also the voltage with digital test instrument and all batteries showed 0,79V. When put together they give 3,17V.
The batteries doesn't read what's their original voltage but the type is LR44 and I've seen the new LR44 ones have 1,5V voltage. I guess these batteries needs to be replaced, maybe the scannerlight will be brighter after that with full 6V power :)
Attachments
Battery_volts.JPG
Battery_volts.JPG (47.63 KiB) Viewed 6582 times