Alterations to the Hitari KITT

Archive for discussions from 2007. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

RobWolf
Rookie
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Alterations to the Hitari KITT

Post by RobWolf » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:22 am

I made some alterations to my R/C KITT over the weekend which really set the car off. I recommend them to anyone else who has the car.

You can remove the front bumper piece (and still have the base screwed on) to make the car look more accurate, of course, but then you need to make a new piece to fill the gap. I just left it on.

Trying to find a way to stop the red light shining out from the headlights, I placed a strip of white card (shiny side out) behind the non-functioning headlight windows. This didn't work, as the light actually travels through the clear plastic and around the edges. I think it would have to be painted to completely block out the light.
BUT the white card behind the windows looks cracking, a bit like the KITT render on the homepage.

I also put a strip of red card (again, shiny side facing out) under the row of LEDs. Push it all the way back so that the edge is touching the PCB. The red card does two things. It makes a more visible red line during daytime, and in the dark it makes the scanner light slightly more visible from above angles. I experimented with metallic red card but it doesn't work as well. Plain red card is the way to go.

I hope you like these suggestions :wink:

andy-kitt
FLAG Assistant

Post by andy-kitt » Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:49 am

I cut the existsing spoiler/nose under guard so that you still have a bit of protection, but it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb like at present.

Does the red card not stop the light from shining out of the front white lights?

Paint black in the spokes of the wheels will make it better.

Can you take some pictures of the mods you've done, would be good to see them.

Another thing I do is tuck the antenna under the rear spoiler, think it looks like a dodgem with that sticking up miles.

RobWolf
Rookie

Post by RobWolf » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:25 am

No, the red card doesn't stop the light shining through the headlights, sadly.

Incidentally, if you are following my suggestions, only remove the safety bumper. DO NOT take off the body of the car. I dunno if it's related, but my KITT ain't working properly, even though I don't appear to have knocked any of the electrics loose.

andy-kitt
FLAG Assistant

Post by andy-kitt » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:37 am

RobWolf wrote:No, the red card doesn't stop the light shining through the headlights, sadly.

Incidentally, if you are following my suggestions, only remove the safety bumper. DO NOT take off the body of the car. I dunno if it's related, but my KITT ain't working properly, even though I don't appear to have knocked any of the electrics loose.
I've done alot more than remove the body, i've completly converted one into KARR

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... &rd=1&rd=1

What doesn't work?

Yeah your right you can't totaly stop light from coming through headlamps, but black tape has reduced the amount of light coming through.

RobWolf
Rookie

Post by RobWolf » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:57 am

Beautiful work on the KARR, my friend :D

It's weird. When you try and steer while the car is moving, particularly backwards, the front wheels flick back into the centre position and the car instantly slows down and moves jerkily. If you have the sound on while this happens, the sound becomes intermittent, and KITT's voice comes on without the button being pressed.

J-Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by J-Knight » Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:45 pm

Sounds like your KITT has a mind of its own :o
Devon-"Shall we drink to the start of.."
Michael-"Of what?"
Devon-"One mans Dream"

James_kr
FLAG Assistant

Post by James_kr » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:57 pm

That's such a great KARR andy-kitt. Since we won't be getting any KITT or KARR models anymore I guess these are what we have left.
K.I.T.T: "Dog go away"

firebirdstu
Volunteer

Post by firebirdstu » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:55 pm

Ive been doing a few mods also to my kitt, he's also on ebay, way better than hitari's half effort ;)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... &rd=1&rd=1

Your karr is doing well on ebay andy, i could do with a new shell for mine to repaint him as he's not perfect, the internals are still there tho.
heres a vid of the karr i made
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... 1593383199

Stu

andy-kitt
FLAG Assistant

Post by andy-kitt » Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:06 am

Thanks for the comments guys, it seams weird modifying the larger model as used to doing 1:18