Weinstein company to put Knight Rider into overdrive

Archive for discussions from 2007. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

J-Knight
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by J-Knight » Wed May 10, 2006 11:48 am

I really do have faith in Glen that David will be in the show. If Glen's involved i really don't think he'd have it any other way......maybe unless REALLY desperate.
Devon-"Shall we drink to the start of.."
Michael-"Of what?"
Devon-"One mans Dream"

HungarianKnight
FLAG Recruit

Post by HungarianKnight » Wed May 10, 2006 12:54 pm

Will they update the story to the 21st century? It would be nice to see Kitt as the new concept Trans Am or the new 'Vette. I think The Hoff should play the Devon character, he's too old to be the Pilot. The Pilot should be someone younger, like The Hoff was back in 1982...

K2000kid
Operative

Saw this on local news this morning

Post by K2000kid » Wed May 10, 2006 4:17 pm

Theres no reason for increased volume, I'm scanning your interogitives quite satisfactorilly.

KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit

Post by KRAvengerII » Wed May 10, 2006 4:22 pm

Is that david hasselhoff? wow.
KITT: I walked right into that one, didn't I?
Michael: More like Turbo Boosted.

LuvKITT
FLAG Recruit

Post by LuvKITT » Wed May 10, 2006 5:27 pm

KRAvengerII wrote:Is that david hasselhoff? wow.
Where?

KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit

Post by KRAvengerII » Wed May 10, 2006 5:47 pm

In the photo on the NBC article. he looks- different.

knightrider#1fan
Recruit

Post by knightrider#1fan » Wed May 10, 2006 7:09 pm

yes i argree david needs to play michael knight and william daniels needs to voice kitt. kitt also needs to be the same black trans-am with maybe a few upgrades. it just would not be the same without on kitt that way, mr. daniels doing the voice of kitt and david playing michael Knight. it would be nice I argree to have some of the old cast back (bonnie or april and RC being played by the same people)!! :D i don't know if i would go see it or not if david and william daniels were not involved (david as Michael Knight and mr daniels as the voice of kitt).

LuvKITT
FLAG Recruit

Post by LuvKITT » Wed May 10, 2006 7:26 pm

KRAvengerII wrote:In the photo on the NBC article. he looks- different.
I don't see a photo on the article...hmm.

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant

Post by JJSoCrazy » Wed May 10, 2006 8:07 pm

I have been looking at this site for quite some time they had a few words to say about KR coming to the big screen. Apparently most of these guys are insulting the fact the movie is being made.

http://joblo.com/forums/showthread.php? ... did=100735

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Wed May 10, 2006 9:55 pm

I'm glad we are finally hearing some solid movie news but I'm also glad that Weinstein have left Miramax as they have been responsible for releasing such turkeys as: Halloween 6, an endless array of DTV hellraiser films, Dusk Till Dawn DTV sequels, crow sequels(DTV) etc.

DevonStyles
FLAG Recruit

This from mtv.com

Post by DevonStyles » Thu May 11, 2006 8:06 am

Time to take that black leather jacket out of storage: The Weinstein Company and TV legend Glen A. Larson have announced plans to bring "Knight Rider" to the big screen. Larson will write a script based on the classic '80s adventure show about a wounded police investigator brought back to life by a mysterious benefactor whose talking car is remarkably badass — despite its snooty British accent. "I am a huge fan of the original series," Harvey Weinstein said in a statement, "and could not be happier that we've joined forces with Glen Larson to bring these iconic characters to the big screen." Participation by series star David Hasselhoff is in question, but here's hoping Hugh Grant voices KITT. ...

KFCreator
FLAG Recruit

Post by KFCreator » Thu May 11, 2006 9:29 am

LOL Since when has KITT had ever a "snooty" British accent?? Someone needs to tell those morons that it's a Boston accent. Kind of a big difference there, not sure how they could confuse the two. :-P

Tarmac
Rookie

Post by Tarmac » Thu May 11, 2006 10:13 am

HungarianKnight wrote:Will they update the story to the 21st century? It would be nice to see Kitt as the new concept Trans Am or the new 'Vette. I think The Hoff should play the Devon character, he's too old to be the Pilot. The Pilot should be someone younger, like The Hoff was back in 1982...
There is no new concept Trans Am, there is a new Vette though.

I think it'd make a perfect KITT.

And that quote from Larson about it being dark (like the pilot) is promising. I'm very thankfully that it's not going to be a comedic (read: mocking) spoof.
Last edited by Tarmac on Thu May 11, 2006 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LuvKITT
FLAG Recruit

Post by LuvKITT » Thu May 11, 2006 12:36 pm

Uggg...no, KITT was NOT british...good greif they don't even know what they are talking about. If Hugh is going to do KITTs voice you can count me out of seeing the movie...geez. I am also a HUGE Pontiac fan so no Pontiac, no movie for me.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Thu May 11, 2006 3:45 pm

Even though I have trouble seeing kitt fit into the car in the above picture as, IMO, it looks too beastly, basically every car looks this way today so I guess we have to get used to it.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Thu May 11, 2006 7:58 pm

I never heard Hugh Grant's voice. If it's too deep they should use it for KARR instead, I guess. It might be that Mr. Daniels is unable or not willing to do the KR movie after all. It's up to him, as I believe Mr. Larson would give him first choice.

I could see KITT in a Corvette. I mean, looking at the pictures above, I would say no way but if you ever got lucky enough to see one in real life (and I have a couple times) I would say VERY MUCH DEFINITELY! They look SO much better in real life than they do in pictures. Trust me. :) I saw a black Corvette the other day and the FIRST thing I thought of was 'that would make a really kick-arse KITT!'

I think I'd be open to something 'different' than original in the KR movie due to the fact I've read (and wrote) fanfic that was very different from the original KR series and enjoyed the stories others wrote. I would love to see what Mr. Larson has in store for us this time around for the 21st Century.

It would be even more cool if they outfitted the hero car(s) with a Lilliput BlaXtream TC-1000 Car PC and loaded it up with XP Pro and Ultra Hal Assistant, and have it read it's own lines! And possibly even have it go to car shows and answer questions about the show! Or they could use ALICE or something. Voices, they could try tweaking some Cepstral voices or see if the Lequendo (Italian company) would create a custom "emotional voice" for them. They have some really cool voices but they don't have anything the consumer can really download and use right now. But they have 'services' so maybe something could be worked out.

Heck, this time around, they very much COULD make a real-life KITT! Even if they can get GM to do some work on the cars to make them autonomous (GM is working on that idea in fact).

LuvKITT
FLAG Recruit

Post by LuvKITT » Fri May 12, 2006 8:14 am

The only thing about them chosing a car that was very high classed as a vette, most people wouldn't be able to do a conversion car because it would cost to much.

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Fri May 12, 2006 12:33 pm

Skav wrote:Even though I have trouble seeing kitt fit into the car in the above picture as, IMO, it looks too beastly, basically every car looks this way today so I guess we have to get used to it.
I think thats more to do with the spec of that Corvette. The one I saw on Top gear last year was similar to this one, but with more elegant lines. It looks like the above one is a top-spec with flaired wheel-arches, scoops and defuser.

Hope the pic works:

neps wrote:I think that would be a mistake, simply since Hasselhoff has been a cheerleader for this movie for years. But that's similar to Richard Hatch in some respects, now isn't it? And Battlestar Galactica is more popular than the original... (stops playing devils advocate)
......Its good some of us are. I was trying to make a similar point on another thread. Ultimately, is the success of this movie down to the creator of the show being onboard for the film, or having Hasselhoff play Micheal ?????

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

knightdriver
FLAG Assistant

Post by knightdriver » Fri May 12, 2006 1:51 pm

They are better off using the original body style for KITT. Think
about it. If KITT is a new vette, you know the studio wont shell out tons
of cash for multipe cars and we wont get any good stunts or things
like that. You can grab up old firebirds and stuff for cheap. Use
as many as you need to get some cool stunts. Look at the Dukes
movie, 23 cars were used and they had some awesome stunts in the
film.
Brian - Knightdriver.com

andy-kitt
FLAG Assistant

Post by andy-kitt » Fri May 12, 2006 1:51 pm

I personally think none of us will like it as good as the original, no matter what they do, but atleast with Larson involved it should be good and be based on the original series rather than how someone else wants it, like those that wanted a Knight Rider where KITT don't talk.

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Fri May 12, 2006 2:01 pm

It's like when they replaced Patricia McPherson with Rebecca Holden for season 2, people don't like changing characters or actors. Rebecca did real good job as April Curtis though, I like both Patricia as a Bonnie Barstow and Rebecca as April Curtis.
If Hasselhoff isn't in the movie and KITT is not '82 Trans-Am and not even voiced by William Daniels, I think those would be too drastic changes, they're important elements of Knight Rider.
At the least Hasselhoff should have even some part in the movie as Michael Knight before they'd get the new guy behind new KITT's steering wheel. If they can't use the original 3rd gen TA as KITT in the stunts etc. maybe original '82 Trans-Am KITT could be shown as a item of the "Knight Museum of Technology" in the movie for example if they tour the new guy at Knight Foundation and show him the history of FLAG.
Just my thoughts...

-KITTfan-

KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit

Post by KRAvengerII » Fri May 12, 2006 3:30 pm

There's a little blurb about the movie in this week's "Entertainment weekly", about who they'd pick for their dream cast.

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Fri May 12, 2006 4:39 pm

Personally what I would prefer is the original KITT body and an updated interior keeping in line with the developments made through the series. The exterior remained pretty consistant through the four years of the show (minor changes here and there!), but we saw the interior go through numerous design changes. Why not have a dash updated from the previous designs??

If they dont use the 82 TA KITT extensively, they do need to give it a "sending-off".....damaged beyond repair in battle so transfered to a new body? KittFans musuem idea sounds good...

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Fri May 12, 2006 4:50 pm

Well, the original KITT was supposed to be a Corvette stingray so....that would actually be strangely appropriate.
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

MIKEMAC
FLAG Recruit

Post by MIKEMAC » Fri May 12, 2006 5:12 pm

With Glen being at the wheel on this project, he won't let Kitt get screwed up, he made the show, it's his baby, and we are lucky fans for it. Dukes didn't have any backup like KR is getting, so we should be happy. :D
**true happiness is like peeing in your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel it's warmth**
Please check out my Knight Rider site at
http://www.knightriderforever.tk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;