Weinstein company to put Knight Rider into overdrive

Archive for discussions from 2007. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

lucid hysteria
Volunteer

Post by lucid hysteria » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:34 am

One more note about the cars - Pontiac seems to be the only company I've seen that makes cars I could accept as KITT, and I just remembered how awesome the Pontiac Banshee would be as our favorite talking car. Of course, that idea has almost already been ruined by the Banshee-wannabe in KR2000, but still...

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that if the car is not a Banshee or the original Trans Am, Pontiac has some other awesome concept car up their sleeves that would be perfect for a new KITT. I know they're not the most highly revered car company as far as muscle cars go nowadays, but something about their style is so specific and necessary to KITT that I just can't see any other kind of car working...

jimmags
Volunteer
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by jimmags » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:06 am

Here is my thoughts on a new Knight Rider:
Hasslehoff=yes
original car=yes
new actor=Paul Walker
new KITT=yes
+===============
Premise: New KITT is driven by New guy (Walker) who gets killed halfway into the
mission. They then call on David and the old KITT to finish the mission off. I think that would be cool and something different.
Keep on "riding"
Jimmy Mags

GNR2K6
Volunteer

Post by GNR2K6 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:43 pm

I like the last idea alot. They obviously need to update alot for this movie, but that doesn't mean they need to abandon what made the series great in the first place which is at least an appearance of the original car and the Hoff as Michael.

Josch Schulz
FLAG Operative

Post by Josch Schulz » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:15 am

We have to much dreamers here :wink:

tkr9
Operative

Post by tkr9 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:52 pm

I've heard too many promises of a movie to be excited any more. Anyway, the more I think about it, the less I like the idea. There's too much store these days put into retaliating against the original prototype. Wait for it, the mentor Devon-figure will turn out to be the villain (in a manner akin to the MI remakes) and one of the writers will be a born cynic. I think Larson should think long and hard and take a really, really, good look at the script to make sure it sticks to the spirit of what KR is all about.

That said I do hope there is a movie, and if Daniel's ain't KITT I'm breaking into the studios, grabbing the sound booth and Mr. Daniels and dubbing over the reel!

KARR Rider
Volunteer

Post by KARR Rider » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:18 pm

I LOVE the old Pontiac but today it's just that, old. Even the last Gen Firebirds are way past their prime. For me the leading star of the movie is the car, KITT himself.

Can you think of a better new car than the Corvette? It's the only modern car that has the look and style of the old Trans-Am!

Exhibits A (and B, C, D...):
http://news.caradisiac.com/IMG/jpg/Corv ... iger-1.jpg
http://news.caradisiac.com/IMG/jpg/Corv ... iger-3.jpg
http://www.corvetteracebodies.com/Copy% ... 010120.JPG
http://www.corvetteracebodies.com/BlkCo ... 20CWM3.JPG
http://news.caradisiac.com/IMG/jpg/Corv ... iger-2.jpg
http://www.2bluesc.com/pictures/Corvett ... c6-z06.jpg

Don't tell me that they don't look like KITT allready?

P.S. I pray to God that THAT Koenigsegg poster (http://www.aintitcool.com/images2006/kr2008big.jpg) proves FAKE and has nothing to do with the new movie.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:03 pm

While I like the Corvette, and could probably see KITT as one (if the lights were blacked out in back, for one), I don't think it looks like KITT as KITT was quite a bit different. But I do like the look.

Like I am now resigning to say: They'll use whatever they will use and we'll just have to wait and see. If it's entertaining, I'll enjoy it. :)

JL
Operative

Post by JL » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:11 pm

I read online at the website for High Performance Pontiac magazine that Pontiac may come out with a Camaro twin after all, though nothing official has been decided. If it does come out, it'll be called "GTO" rather than "Firebird," and may take its design cues from the late 70s Smokey and the Bandit-type Firebird.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:57 pm

KARR Rider wrote:I LOVE the old Pontiac but today it's just that, old. Even the last Gen Firebirds are way past their prime. For me the leading star of the movie is the car, KITT himself.

Can you think of a better new car than the Corvette? It's the only modern car that has the look and style of the old Trans-Am!

Exhibits A (and B, C, D...):
http://news.caradisiac.com/IMG/jpg/Corv ... iger-1.jpg
http://news.caradisiac.com/IMG/jpg/Corv ... iger-3.jpg
http://www.corvetteracebodies.com/Copy% ... 010120.JPG
http://www.corvetteracebodies.com/BlkCo ... 20CWM3.JPG
http://news.caradisiac.com/IMG/jpg/Corv ... iger-2.jpg
http://www.2bluesc.com/pictures/Corvett ... c6-z06.jpg

Don't tell me that they don't look like KITT allready?

P.S. I pray to God that THAT Koenigsegg poster (http://www.aintitcool.com/images2006/kr2008big.jpg) proves FAKE and has nothing to do with the new movie.
Completely agree with the Corvette... I've suggested on here over the years that the 'Vette is the only other car on the road that looks most similar to the third generation Firebirds. It's strange that it looks more like K.I.T.T. than the actual latest Trans Ams themselves. If I had to design the new K.I.T.T. into a completely brand-new car, I'd definitley take a similar route in terms of design that the latest 'Vettes have. It's sleek, yet doesn't look like a bubble and has the perfect mix of sharp lines to show a bit of an evolution...
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Kaine
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kaine » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:03 am

i agree, this corvette would make a great KITT with the right parts, i.e. the rear wing on some of the pics is a must, but no body kit like shown on one of the other pictures (it would make turbo boosts unbelievable). tail light blackouts are a must too.

corlando52
FLAG Recruit

Got to be original

Post by corlando52 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:15 pm

Just my 2 cents here. If they don't use the original car, I won't go to see it. Period. The car is the thing, and the partnership/chemistry between it and David. THAT's KNIGHT RIDER! Anything else is just a pale imitation. The movie Knight Rider 2000 with the new car...who cared? Didn't bring in great numbers enough to turn it into a series. The series Team Knight Rider...Sucked. All the cars....sucked. If it's not an 81/82 Black TransAm, it isn't KITT. So then who cares about the movie?
Again, just my 2 cents here. But I can't accept any other car as KITT. Want another car? Make a different movie and call it something else.
Next, you'll want to dress Superman up in new tights. (BTW, they tried that and it was a disaster! Their circulation went down to almost nothing..Lesson learned??)

Chris

JL
Operative

Post by JL » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:08 pm

The partnership was between Michael and KITT, KITT being the computer in the car, not the car itself. Granted, when KITT gets self-conscious about his appearance in "Knight of the Juggernaut" or opens his doors and flips on the lights as an expression of happiness in "Race for Life," the lines get a little blurry. But the rapport between Michael and KITT would have been the same if KITT were in a minivan or a helicopter.

Knight Rider 2000 didn't suck because KITT was a red wannabe Pontiac Banshee; it sucked because it was less about Michael and KITT, and more about killing Devon and having Michael go back into retirement so we can pass the baton (and KITT) to these new people we know nothing about and don't care about.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:38 pm

Pale Immitation? Or as KARR would call it: An Inferior Production Line Model. ;)

corlando52
FLAG Recruit

Unchanged

Post by corlando52 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:26 am

Sorry, but I still feel, change the car and you change the show. Want another car with a James Bond type driver, make another James Bond movie. If you want Knight Rider, you need a Black TransAm with a sharknose...it's what made the 80's bearable!
If they change the car, I just won't go see it. But that's only me and MHO.
I owned a 1974 Corvette at the time and redid the interior with a digital dash and made my own steering wheel because I loved the show so much. I also made a scanner but never got around to putting it in....got married, had kids, blah blah blah, you know the story.

Chris

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:56 am

I have started thinking that KITT doesn't necessary have to be futuristic car anymore, every car today look kind of "futuristic" so I don't know if any modern new car would look anything as different as 3rd gen Trans-Am looked in 1982 compared to the other cars. We've now seen just about everything how cars can look like, it was different in 1982. There's just no sporty, sleek, aerodynamic musclecar like KITT should be today available.

To be different and stand out I think it's about the look & image, KITT is the most recognized in a black '82 Trans-Am form and every attempt to change KITT to something else, especially to some boring modern day car is doomed to fail.
Average, non-KR enthusiast viewers probably don't know or even care if KITT is just the AI inside the car, what they think is that KITT is the talking, turboboosting, bulletproof souped up black '82 Pontiac Trans-Am with red scannerlight & wild dashboard.

What I'd like to see is the original KITT and David Hasselhoff playing Michael Knight and the action taking place in today's world, not in future. I think these are the key elements for Knight Rider to be Knight Rider.

-KITTfan-

corlando52
FLAG Recruit

Agree

Post by corlando52 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:06 pm

Well said, KittFan!

Chris

JL
Operative

Post by JL » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:24 pm

Who's to say they wouldn't have upgraded the car as the years went on, though? If Knight Rider had survived to the 1992-93 television season, don't you think they'd have leapt at a chance to switch KITT over to the 4th Gen F-body? Just like they did a total revamp of the dashboard for the third season, eventually they would have needed to change the car's exterior.

If the new movie is going to take place in the present-day, they ought to use a present-day car. Otherwise, no matter how seriously they try to do the film, it invites comparisons with the self-parody-ridden Dukes and Starsky movies. "Oh, yeah, here's this guy, Mr. Big Action Hero, backed by a foundation worth billions of dollars, and he's still tooling around in an '82 T/A. Like that would happen."

corlando52
FLAG Recruit

Mistake

Post by corlando52 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:05 pm

Personnally, I think that's why KR was cancelled. It started to rely too much on gimmicks. They did the Super-persuit thing and it just got out of hand. I know there are the Season 1/2 dashboard fans, and the Season 3/4 dashboard fans. I happen to be the former. I didn't like when they changed from the LED look to the LCD look. Again, just my opinion. Maybe if they stayed with the original KITT, it wouldn't have been cancelled.
OK, that's just silly, but I'll say anything to make my point. I know it was the bad stories, and repeated stories that did away with KR, but I still say when they changed KITT in KR2000, it wasn't well received, and forget about Team KR....

Chris

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:03 pm

KITTfan I wholeheartedly agree.

GR81
Volunteer

Post by GR81 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:06 am

GR81 says:

Is this movie still happening?
Thats what i want to know lol

JL
Operative

Re: Mistake

Post by JL » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:51 am

corlando52 wrote:Personnally, I think that's why KR was cancelled. It started to rely too much on gimmicks.

<snip>

I know it was the bad stories, and repeated stories that did away with KR, but I still say when they changed KITT in KR2000, it wasn't well received, and forget about Team KR....
While the SPM gimmick didn't help, and the quality really took a nosedive in the second half of the season (yet another reason why they should have held "Scent of Roses" until the end... so the final episode would be worth remembering and not be total balls), the real reason for the cancellation was that KR was expensive, and the networks weren't willing to pony up for Universal's increased fees.

That's why in 1986 you see KR, Airwolf, and The A-Team get cancelled. Yeah, there were other reasons (KR's declining quality, Jan-Michael Vincent's substance abuse problems), but basically these were expensive shows. Universal didn't think any of them would do well in syndication, so their cancellations (at least for KR & A-Team) seem a bit stupid in hindsight.

Josch Schulz
FLAG Operative

Post by Josch Schulz » Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:14 pm

corlando52

Comon its time to bring back Knight Rider and when you not go into that movie when they use a new car you cant say its a bad movie. Okay i have problems to to exept the new age but lets see what Glen gives to us. We should trust him, he asks in the past many fans and i know we are on the best way to give Knight Rider a new chance. Okay its all new but remeber that the ols series is from 1982 and we have 2006. In some Years the Car is 30 Years old. Very hard for a Moviegroup to use Oldtimers and it is not really cheap. Well lets see what they can do :wink:

kido
Operative

Post by kido » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:47 pm

I'm glad Glen is doing the KR movie. It would not be considered cannon with anyone else.
Knight Industries Defence One

octopus7
Volunteer

Post by octopus7 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:51 pm

I'm just hoping that if they incoporate SPM in the new film that they do a better job of it than in series 4, cause they seemed to go overboard on Super Pursuit Mode and the emergency braking system.
Check out my 3D artwork
http://octopus7.deviantart.com/

Daemonicus666
Operative

Post by Daemonicus666 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:34 pm

I concur with my fellow Melbournian above. SPM was used way too much in Season 4 and for no reason. KITT already was going at fantastic speeds there was no need for them to include the rather SPM feature. I just hope they do not include the super lame convertible mode
"I have special effects of my own. Im going to make you disappear for 20 years man..." - Michael Knight (Halloween Knight)