Question About KITT's Grammar

Archive for discussions from 2007. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

ColeGrad01
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Question About KITT's Grammar

Post by ColeGrad01 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:18 pm

This has probably been discussed before, but I was wondering about something to do with KITT using the word "ain't." He says it in Season 2 episode "Custom K.I.T.T." and acts like there is nothing wrong with talking like that. Yet in Season 4 episode "Killer K.I.T.T." he hates it after knowing he was made to say it while programmed to do evil things. Did the creators of the show not catch onto the fact they had him say it two seasons before?

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Re: Question About KITT's Grammar

Post by Rockatteer » Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:51 pm

I can't recall the exact examples you use, but I would say that it's probably a slip made due to having multiple writers.

It's pretty common practice for TV shows use several writers and even employ new writers over different seasons. Which means it's also common practice for little things like that to be missed.

Is it possible that Kitt was imitating Michaels speech patterns when he said ain't? I recall several instances where Kitt has imitated the way Micheal talks in a kind of joking manor.

:kittspin:
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ColeGrad01
Operative

Post by ColeGrad01 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:57 pm

Do you not remember when some bad lady from "Custom K.I.T.T." was inside KITT and being taken to the warehouse the stolen cars from the car show in that episode were being held. He said the word "ain't" and she said something about him having bad grammar. I think her name was Norma Rayburn.

Amir
Operative

Post by Amir » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:24 am

Yeah, she's impressed by the car's features and when KITT says 'You ain't seen nothing, lady', she says 'hey, they don't programme cars with bad grammer". It was actually highly unusual of KITT to talk like that. Maybe it was because of the situation.

Or just bad continuation with the writing later on, rather. 8)

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:08 am

Wasn't KITT already somewhat messed up from a rocket hit or near hit earlier in the episode? I seem to remember their going after a couple guys who worked for the guy who wanted to take over KITT and one of them fired a rocket or something, then again maybe I'm remembering it wrong and mixing it with some other episode.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

ColeGrad01
Operative

Post by ColeGrad01 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:36 am

This thread is talking about two different episodes here. The last post was referring to "Killer K.I.T.T.", whereas the post before that was referring to "Custom K.I.T.T." I was just wanting to know why an episode two seasons later would have KITT object to saying the word "ain't" when he had actually used it himself over two years earlier. Him saying it in Season 4 was part of his evil programming, so I don't think it was anything to do with the rockets being launched at him.

LadyV2000
FLAG Assistant

Post by LadyV2000 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:00 pm

Perhaps KITT was just trying to make a stronger statement? After all, it did get her attention more readily.
Flyer Guy: "You really a talking car?"
KITT: "No. I'm a tight end for the Chicago Bears!"

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Post by seeker78 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:34 am

I agree with Lady V, I mean, KITT never said he is incapable of speaking like that, right? He just said he prefers not to. That's different from Data on ST:TNG, who was specifically incapable of using contractions (although Lore is capable of doing that). And Spock prefers not to expose his emotions as Vulcan emotions are much more powerful than human emotions, but he does have them. :)

Nismogtr21
Recruit

Post by Nismogtr21 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:45 pm

The fact that the lady in the car actually POINTED OUT that KITT used bad grammar makes it kind of obvious that it was done intentionally, it wasn't a screwup. KITT was just trying to be "cool", and if you notice, you'll see how different he is from season 1, where he is more robotic, cold, more artificial. As the episodes go on, you see how he becomes more 'human'.

I guess Michael had some influence on him. 8)

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:56 pm

KITT just said "You ain't seen nothing yet" because it's a common phrase it would spook the lady, proving to her that he wasn't just a car that warned you when your door was ajar.
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

Crumbling Down
FLAG Recruit

Post by Crumbling Down » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:39 am

I agree that he probably picked up some things from just being around michael, bonnie, april and devon. I think he prefers not to use bad grammar like that but I think Kitt may have been nervous about Nora taking him and he thought that if he used that catchy phrase despite the bad grammar that it would scare her off. I seem to remember kitts vocabulary getting more slang type in the later episodes. Did Kitt ever swear though? I can't recall once that he did
Booonnnnnzzzzaaaaaiii!!!!!!!! As michael turbo boosts to score the extra point. His face is so funny when he yells this and when he hits turbo boost his eyes get huge and he flies back into the seat

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:43 pm

[quote="Crumbling Down"]I agree that he probably picked up some things from just being around michael, bonnie, april and devon. I think he prefers not to use bad grammar like that but I think Kitt may have been nervous about Nora taking him and he thought that if he used that catchy phrase despite the bad grammar that it would scare her off. I seem to remember kitts vocabulary getting more slang type in the later episodes. Did Kitt ever swear though? I can't recall once that he did[/quote]

KITT tells Michael in KR2000 that he looked like crap, although not in TOS :kitt:

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:51 am

You're thinking of KARR, Crumbling Down. In KITT vs KARR, when KARR discovers that KITT must have picked up his signal, KARR says, "Damn!"
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

Crumbling Down
FLAG Recruit

Post by Crumbling Down » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:36 am

Yea I thought one of them swore before but I couldn't remember which. Thanks.
Booonnnnnzzzzaaaaaiii!!!!!!!! As michael turbo boosts to score the extra point. His face is so funny when he yells this and when he hits turbo boost his eyes get huge and he flies back into the seat

CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant

Post by CJaguar442 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:32 am

cloudkitt wrote:You're thinking of KARR, Crumbling Down. In KITT vs KARR, when KARR discovers that KITT must have picked up his signal, KARR says, "Damn!"
i thought this was awesome when KARR said "Damn, he must of picked up on my sonar" I just found out Kit a nickname or abbreviation of Christopher
Re-elect Mayor Goldie wilson, Progress is his middle name!
Save the Clocktower!
Go Boston Red Sox! Go Boston Bruins! Go Boston Celtics!
Go the distance and he will come!

Crumbling Down
FLAG Recruit

Post by Crumbling Down » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:44 am

yea I thought it was a pretty neat part when he said that too, it mad him seem more evil. How is Kitt an abbreviation for Christopher?

CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant

Post by CJaguar442 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:14 am

i found that out randomly searching KITT on wikipedia, ironic huh
Re-elect Mayor Goldie wilson, Progress is his middle name!
Save the Clocktower!
Go Boston Red Sox! Go Boston Bruins! Go Boston Celtics!
Go the distance and he will come!