new mass car law threat to knight rider replicas

Archive for discussions from 2007. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

new mass car law threat to knight rider replicas

Post by CJaguar442 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:25 pm

"Exhaust systems have always been on the top of any modification list for car enthusiasts. Most cars come from the factory with tightly restricted systems which reduce, amongst other things, power and gas mileage. Exhaust modification is the genesis of many a project car.

However, it may soon become illegal to sell or install “an exhaust system which has been modified in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the exhaust” in the state of Massachusetts. In short, if you don’t have an OEM exhaust on your car, you would be forced to remove it as well as pay a fine. The law, which is currently stalled in committee, is House Bill 3574. This would effectively strangle the aftermarket in the Commonwealth, and have unforeseen percussions down the road. A radical citizens group out of Jamaica Plains has been the driving force behind the bill, and it has now found enough support to make it to committee.

However, a group of concerned citizens is being formed to combat the house bill. Led by Jon Weston, and backed by the SEMA Action Network, or SAN, the gathered gear heads spent last evening discussing a bill to reach a compromise with those who are seeking to ban all exhausts. Weston also enlightened everyone about the gravity of the situation.

According to Weston, if this bill were passed into law, “You could no longer buy an exhaust system for any car older than six years.” Why? Due to government regulation, dealerships only need maintain a stock of OEM parts for six years after the car is made. After that, they tend to only to stock aftermarket parts on certain items, including exhausts. Therefore, you would not be able to purchase an exhaust system currently is your car is older than 2001. Now you have a loud exhaust and the only exhausts you can buy are made by the aftermarket, which would be banned under the blanket law. Your six year old car is totaled over a part that costs less than $200.

All of the people that had gathered at the meeting, which took place at the West Side Grille in Northborough, MA. were car enthusiasts with varied backgrounds. There were, amongst others, a police officer, a state inspection and emissions tester, an insurance adjuster, and a museum curator. Also in attendance was Christine Stark, who shared her story of being targeted for her aftermarket exhaust, even though the bill has not been passed into law yet.

Stay tuned for an in-depth look at how far reaching this bill could be, what it means for my nieghboring home state of Connecticut, and what you can do to stop it (hint: sign up for SAN.)"

"alert to those who own cars in Massachusetts" fight it before the bills passes
Re-elect Mayor Goldie wilson, Progress is his middle name!
Save the Clocktower!
Go Boston Red Sox! Go Boston Bruins! Go Boston Celtics!
Go the distance and he will come!

Valleyboy
Volunteer

Re: new mass car law threat to knight rider replicas

Post by Valleyboy » Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:36 pm

so how is this a direct threat to KITT replicas? It's an interesting story, but the title is a bit misleading. Honestly, I don't think it'll pass, it would be too much of a waste and inconvenience.

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Post by seeker78 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:58 am

Just have your kitt replica trans am converted to electric power!!!! an electric KITT would be awesome!!! use lithium ion batteries for greatly improved range, the Tesla Roadster uses those and can go 250 miles at 125 mph!!! :)

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:11 am

Valleyboy wrote:so how is this a direct threat to KITT replicas?
Because all K.I.T.T. replicas are Firebirds ranging from 1982-1992 and replacing the exhausts may become impossible.

Any time the word "radical" is used to describe a group of people, it means unreasonable to me.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:30 am

lol, I'd have a problem if i was ever stopped with my car. Previous owner installled smog legal headers, with 3" piping straight back to the muffler. (No cat) 8)
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

ivirscar
Recruit

Post by ivirscar » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:22 am

:lol:

"Radical" usually means "STUPID"

I honestly do not think a law like that would be passed. If it is passed, it will pass with many changes making it possible to install aftermarket but sound decibals would be a product of their interest.
The way you have explained it, it sounds too communistic :roll:
Lectric Enterprises - Anticipating another great year in 2010! http://www.knight-f2k4.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;