Was KITT supposed to be Michael Long's refitted car?

Archive for discussions from 2007. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Kirin
Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Was KITT supposed to be Michael Long's refitted car?

Post by Kirin » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:28 am

Hi. I am sure this topic has been discussed before, but I would like to bring it up again and gain everyone's perspective on this. In the Pilot episode, police officer Michael Long drives a black Pontiac Trans Am, then later the car the newly christined Michael Knight gets is a black Pontiac Trans Am, aka KITT. In this episode there appears to be the suggestion that the Foundation took Michael Long's car and trasnformed it into the Knight Industries Two-Thousand. Long/Knight even recognizes KITT as his car and continually refers to it as "my car".

I have always thought that KITT being Long's former car was a really cool idea and just one of the magical tid bits that made the Pilot so strong back then. It gives KITT a connection to Michael Knight's past as Michael Long, and overall it's just sweet idea to play on IMHO. It also explains why Wilton Knight/the Foundation picked a Pontiac Trans Am, when they could have just as easily gone with a Corvette or any number of far more expensive cars.

But sometimes in the course of the series it is never really explored if KITT was Long's car, so perhaps it was all just an amazing coincendence. What is the general opinion on this?

:kitt:

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Re: Was KITT supposed to be Michael Long's refitted car?

Post by Lost Knight » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:27 pm

Kirin -

There was already a recent thread about this bringing the subject back up:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10413
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Kirin
Recruit

Re: Was KITT supposed to be Michael Long's refitted car?

Post by Kirin » Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:19 pm

Thanks for the link!

:kitt: