Subura beats Shelby Mustang in

Archive for discussions from 2007. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

ckeller22
Operative

Subura beats Shelby Mustang in

Post by ckeller22 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:22 pm

How sad. Watch 2007 Ford Shelby GT vs. 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Video.here is the link http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Ne ... eId=123951# I know,I know it's because of networks and money. But for attentive purposes why would the foundation or a genius scientist building a car to combat crime with the most state of the art technology in it pick a car that is out classed by many others in term of handling and road performance. Jesus Christ the Shelby couldn't keep up with the Subura on the everyday Californian road.Here is some of the article from Edmunds.

Straightening the Curves, Flattening the Hills
Those stickier tires also helped the STI embarrass the Shelby in the slalom. At 72.0 mph this is the fastest Subaru we've ever tested. Despite its Ford Racing handling package, which is lower and more heavily damped than a stock Mustang, the Shelby only managed 68.0 mph — exactly the same speed as Ford's GT500. Unfortunately, the lower suspension lacks both travel and compliance, giving the GT a wagonlike ride.

Around the skid pad, however, the Shelby was surprisingly close, circling at 0.88g vs. the STI's 0.90g. It once again demonstrated the always-engaging ability to drive in never-ending sideways circles with a white haze pouring off its rear tires. Did we mention that this is fun? Or that it can't be done in a Subaru?

More valuable than our instrumented handling data is each car's real-world behavior. It's here that the Subaru's abilities are dramatically greater than the Shelby's. Its ride is compliant but controlled — a near-perfect compromise. In the real world where there are bumps, off-camber roads and gravel, there's simply no contest. On one winding California road we reached the Mustang's limits (and its bump stops) before the STI's driver even knew we were trying to keep up.

The Easy Winner
Unpack the data and the driving impressions and the results are overwhelmingly clear. In fact, out of the 46 categories scored in this test, the STI gave up only two to the Shelby: as-tested price and quarter-mile trap speed. It tied or won every single category in our 27-point evaluation, dominated when it came to feature content and was every editor's personal and recommended pick. That's kicking some major ass.

Of course this doesn't tell the whole story. The Shelby will put a grin on your face as quickly as it will autograph the tarmac in your local Wal-Mart parking lot. This, while great fun, is of limited value, which is why the Subaru wins. It's quicker in virtually every test and unquestionably quicker over any road. It rides and handles better and its interior is light-years ahead of the Shelby.

Light years ahead wtf.Kitt is supposed be light years ahead. Once again I say poor choice of cars.It really makes sense
I would to hear what everyone has to say about our beloved Kitt being beat by a Subura Imprezza.

knightstand
Recruit

Re: Subura beats Shelby Mustang in

Post by knightstand » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:47 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnXt5lA5d28

Check that out..its the new KITT.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Michael Pajaro » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:58 pm

Go back and look at the specs of the '82 Trans Am. All show, no go. As far as performance is concerned, KITT's generation was considered the lowpoint of the Firebird's history. But he seemed to turn out OK.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

89IROCNDoug
Operative

Post by 89IROCNDoug » Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:02 pm

ckeller22, that's like saying the actor, Brandon Routh who plays Superman, just got easily beat by an average joe in arm wrestling - so how can you have Routh play Superman when he can't even beat the average joe.

In the show, the Knight 3000 Mustang will probably have well over 1,500 HP in attack mode, all-wheel drive (I think (?)), and very advanced handling by Knight Industries. The Subaru would look like it's stand still.

Also, since there's not as much room in the Subaru, Knight Industries would not have as much space for their advanced technology, so the Mustang is a better choice for the Knight 3000.
One man did make a difference.

scottab21
FLAG Recruit

Post by scottab21 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:05 pm

Exactly... The whole point is to pick an every day car, American muscle, and through the work of the Foundation, turn it into something awsome. Think about it, fighting crime undercover is kinda hard if your driving around in some exotic car that nobdy has seen out on the road before. Now, given that last statement, you gotta look at the Knight 4000, but everybody knows how thatturned out.

ckeller22
Operative

Post by ckeller22 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:08 pm

that is true. By no means am I trying to trash the Mustang. The Stang is starting to grow on me. In fact I like the hero version the best. I think if the had made different modes on the attack to make it more jet looking it would be more appealing. I just think GAS made it to boxy with the mods they did. Granted they were given a week. By no way I want the Tv show to fail. I support Glen but if The show is going to give a good script and be exciting and bring in a whole new set of fans I am all for it.

knightstand
Recruit

Post by knightstand » Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:12 pm

Agreed. I like the whole "everyman car" feel that KITT had. I guess I like the TA because thats what I grew up with as a kid. I used to have a nap in the afternoon so I could stay up and watch KITT. lol. :kitt2:

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:08 pm

I have a test drive report on '83 Pontiac Firebird Trans-Am with cross fire injection engine and the report says even a '82 Datsun Stanza does 0-100kmh faster than the Trans-Am. I still prefer KITT being a Trans-Am rather than a Datsun Stanza :wink:

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:23 pm

KITTfan wrote:I have a test drive report on '83 Pontiac Firebird Trans-Am with cross fire injection engine and the report says even a '82 Datsun Stanza does 0-100kmh faster than the Trans-Am. I still prefer KITT being a Trans-Am rather than a Datsun Stanza :wink:
That backs up the point I was going to bring up. The vehicles' real-life performance is irrelevant, whether we're discussing the '82 Trans Am or the '08 Mustang. That's why I think all this talk from NBC Universal about the remote control feature (while cool), and the amount of power under the hood is dancing around what they should have discussed. They should have been talking about the capabilities the car is going to have in the show and perhaps even put together some kind of performance other than a few doughnuts in the parking lot. (Any car could have done that!)
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Black GT
Stranger

Post by Black GT » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:32 pm

ckeller22 - You're comparing a regular Shelby GT to a WRX STi. What does that have to do with the new Shelby GT500KR as KITT?

The Shelby GT is rated at 319hp and the Shelby GT500KR is rated at 540hp and will easily blow the doors off of a WRX Sti (304hp) and also most all other cars.

A base model S197 Mustang GT is also faster than a base model WRX.

89IROCNDoug
Operative

Post by 89IROCNDoug » Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:20 am

A better example is of a 400HP Corvette outperforming the 500HP Shelby GT500, as shown in a Car and Driver article: http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons ... pedal.html

This article shows that the Corvette is clearly superior to the GT500 and can be had for only about $4,000 more.

But this is irrelevant to Knight Rider. It only means that the Corvette is a better performance car in the real world.

The real '82 Trans Am was an under-achiever so it doesn't matter if the Shelby GT500KR under-achieves as well in the real world.
One man did make a difference.