What If The 2009 Chevrolet Camaro...

Archive for discussions from 2007. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Matthew
Site Administrator
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

What If The 2009 Chevrolet Camaro...

Post by Matthew » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:06 am

What If The 2009 Chevrolet Camaro Was Chosen To Be Glen's New KITT?

Hi guys,

Having followed the generally negative reaction to the casting of the Ford Shelby GT500KR in the NBC production, it's got me thinking about how the majority of people would actually react if Glen was to choose a car that was clearly inspired by the success of the fifth generation Mustang.

Whilst the new Camaro certainly appears to have a more streamlined profile due to its lower roofline, it's indisputable that it's a modern day interpretation of the 1969 model, just as it's indisputable that the Mustang is a modern day interpretation of the first generation models. Yet, many more people seem perfectly happy with the idea of the Camaro being cast as KITT.

So, with that in mind said, do you guys think that there is a certain amount of hypocrisy involved in the idea that the new Camaro is fine, but the Mustang is not, and if so, could that hypocrisy be based on the fact that the Camaro shares its history with the Trans Am? Do you guys think it could even have something to do with the Mustang being the Camaro and the Trans Am's mortal enemy since 1967?

I think you'll all agree that it's very interesting to see such a large amount of support for the idea of one muscle being cast as KITT, whilst the other receives nothing but distain.

Matt

2006 Chevrolet Camaro
Image Image

2008 Ford Shebly GT500KR
Image Image
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

seeker78
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: What If The 2009 Chevrolet Camaro...

Post by seeker78 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:40 am

Well, Ford does make a couple cars that look more like KITT, the Mazda RX-8 and the Mustang GT. But the Mazda is out because it is made in Hiroshima, Japan. The mustangs are made in the usa (which is I want, I want a made in usa car for kitt).

The Chevy Cobalt looks A LOT more like KITT than a Shelby Mustang. And the Chevy Cobalt is Made in the USA.

It's not the fact that it is a Ford or a Mustang -- I'm not even a car guy, I'm a computer nerd, so I don't care about that rivalry -- it's about how the car looks. It has to have that stealthy, aerodynamic, futuristic look that the 1982 Trans Am had. In some of these pics, the kitt from the new show isn't even all black.

Victor Kros knows what I'm talking about, which is VERY COOL (tm) because he's involved with the 2010 movie, which gives me a LOT of hope that the 2010 movie will be AWESOME. :)

--Brian

knightprobe89
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightprobe89 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:32 am

matthew i think your right the chevy camaro looks similar to the mustang, i think the problems are everybody is biased because most people that dont like the mustang are general motors lovers, or gm junkies. as far as i'm concerned the mustang is fine as the new kitt.
in glen larson we trust.

89IROCNDoug
Operative

Post by 89IROCNDoug » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:49 am

Thank you, Matt, for more side-by-side pictures of the Mustang and concept Camaro.

If the Camaro was as boxy and retro-looking as the Mustang, then I would agree that there is some major hypocrisy going on here.

But looking at those pictures, the Camaro is much sleeker, smoother, and futuristic-looking than the Mustang. Yeah, GM used the Mustang when they designed the next Camaro and also has some retro styling, but they sure look different to me! They have some similarity on the sides and some general size dimensions, but that's it. The front end, rear end, and hoods are completely different!!! Then there's the lower roofline on the Camaro, which I hope they can keep in the production car.

If the Mustang was more streamlined like the concept Camaro or if they would of at least took some time and modernized the front end and made it look more aero I would be happy with the KI3000 being a Mustang. The prototype Giugiaro Mustang I saw in this forum would of worked great in my opinion!

If you got some people who didn't know anything about car companies and models and were familiar with Knight Rider (difficult task, I'm sure!!!) and had them choose the next KITT from those pictures, I guarantee the concept Camaro would win by a landslide!
One man did make a difference.

Matthew
Site Administrator
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Matthew » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:38 am

89IROCNDoug wrote:Thank you, Matt, for more side-by-side pictures of the Mustang and concept Camaro.
No problem mate, you can find a shed load of additional high quality pictures here.
89IROCNDoug wrote:If the Camaro was as boxy and retro-looking as the Mustang, then I would agree that there is some major hypocrisy going on here.

But looking at those pictures, the Camaro is much sleeker, smoother, and futuristic-looking than the Mustang. Yeah, GM used the Mustang when they designed the next Camaro and also has some retro styling, but they sure look different to me! They have some similarity on the sides and some general size dimensions, but that's it. The front end, rear end, and hoods are completely different!!! Then there's the lower roofline on the Camaro, which I hope they can keep in the production car.

If the Mustang was more streamlined like the concept Camaro or if they would of at least took some time and modernized the front end and made it look more aero I would be happy with the KI3000 being a Mustang. The prototype Giugiaro Mustang I saw in this forum would of worked great in my opinion!
It’s hard to disagree with your analysis of the Mustang, but I’m afraid I must respectfully disagree with your analysis of the Camaro. Whilst its profile is clearly sleeker thanks to the lower roof line, the car still shares a number of boxy qualities with the Mustang. The rear ends for instance are very similar, with the main differences being the diffuser style, taillight arrangement, and spoiler. The sides of each car even share styling similarities, although in this case, the sleekness edge has to go to the Mustang thanks to the Camaro’s very angular styling. Without a doubt, the rooflines and fronts ends are where the main differences lie, but even then, the front ends still share glaring similarities, such as grill and headlight placement. The main difference between each of the front ends is definitely the sloped leading edge featured on the Camaro, which just so happens to have a conveniently placed grill that would be perfect for an eight bar scanner to be situated.

Whilst I would choose the Camaro due to my personal fondness of its styling if I was given a choice between it and the Mustang, I think it’s fair to say that the Mustang is getting a bit of a poor shake. Both are retro styled muscle cars, even if the Camaro doesn’t take quiet as many styling cues from its 1969 predecessor as the Mustang takes from it first generation counterparts.

To me, having viewed all of the pictures of the Knight 3000 that Neil provided us with, the main thing I see wrong with the Mustang is it’s lack of blacked out tail lights and rims on the standard version, and, and I say this with all my heart, the disgrace that is the attack mode, which somehow manages to make the Trans Am’s Super Pursuit Mode look good, which is something that it certainly is not.
89IROCNDoug wrote:If you got some people who didn't know anything about car companies and models and were familiar with Knight Rider (difficult task, I'm sure!!!) and had them choose the next KITT from those pictures, I guarantee the concept Camaro would win by a landslide!
Oh, I agree completely with your sentiments, and I adore the current style of Mustang, and am a particular fan of the Ford Shelby GT, which is of course based off the Ford Shelby GT-H. The Camaro just looks that much better from my perspective, and perhaps Ford feel the same way since they’re currently in the process of giving the fifth generation Mustang a serious makeover.

Matt
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

Solid Snake
FLAG Recruit

Post by Solid Snake » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:46 pm

knightprobe89 wrote:matthew i think your right the chevy camaro looks similar to the mustang, i think the problems are everybody is biased because most people that dont like the mustang are general motors lovers, or gm junkies. as far as i'm concerned the mustang is fine as the new kitt.
I agree the Mustang is fine for this new KITT character. And I do agree that if this car was to be made by ANY other company except Ford some people on here would like it better than they do now. Which is, I think, rediculous... because the original KI2000 happened to be a GM car does that mean that a totally new project which does not even share the old car's CPU (as the new one is the KI3000 and not the 2000) and is built 25 years later have to be a GM car too? No! Infact, its perfectly credible to go a different path.

As for the Camaro... the Camaro is a carbon copy of the approach that Ford did when they made this current Mustang. It is designed with the exact same idea, to revive the muscle cars. Infact while the Camaro was being designed GM had a Mustang right there in the studio's all the way to "see" (if not peek) how the blue oval did it.

I for one like the BOLD and Macho Muscular new Knight 3000, a car which in my mind perfectly reflects the current automotive trend and beauty.
Knight Rider, powered by Ford!

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:29 pm

I've never complained that KITT was a muscle car, just a Mustang. Where's the hypocrisy?

The hypocrisy I find more interesting is that the supporters of the choice say "It's time to move on to the newer things." (Which assumes that everyone opposed thinks KITT should be an '82 Trans Am). So if KITT is to be something newer, why is he a car with a retro design? Obviously this would oust the Camaro as well, but if he's to be "new" why isn't he a car that is a departure from current designs? I'm not saying they should have done that (then we run the risk of it being a Prius), but that's what the "newer things" argument implies.
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

89IROCNDoug
Operative

Post by 89IROCNDoug » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:02 pm

Solid Snake wrote: As for the Camaro... the Camaro is a carbon copy of the approach that Ford did when they made this current Mustang. It is designed with the exact same idea, to revive the muscle cars. Infact while the Camaro was being designed GM had a Mustang right there in the studio's all the way to "see" (if not peek) how the blue oval did it.
I agree! But there is a difference is in the styling.

In 1982, the Camaro was also redesigned along with the Firebirds. After all, they are the same cars with different styling! Would the original KITT look nearly as good if you just took a black '82 Camaro and slapped a scanner on the front! No way! But if you put a redesigned front end on it like the original and at least blacked out the tail lights you would have a good-looking KITT! (replace the rear end and the hood with Firebird TA parts and they're identical)

I see the same deal between the Mustang and the concept Camaro! Similar cars with different styling, although not as similar as what the Firebirds and Camaros were. All they needed to do was put a redesigned front end on the Mustang that could nicely integrate the scanner, black out the tail lights, and not have that goofy looking attack mode - then I would be a happy camper! While I would want them to change the front end on the Camaro also, at least the stock Camaro front end would look a lot better than the Mustang's.
Solid Snake wrote: I for one like the BOLD and Macho Muscular new Knight 3000, a car which in my mind perfectly reflects the current automotive trend and beauty.
That's fine that you like it, your entitiled to your opinion. I even like the looks of the Hero car myself, because I like the current Mustangs. But as the new Knight 3000, it's terrible! The wardrobe does not fit the character unless we go back in time 40 years!

As far as the current automotive trend, I don't see that many retro-style cars today. The only ones I see are the Mustangs (of course), Dodge Chargers (kind of retro), and once in a blue moon I might see a Chevy SSR. Next up are the Camaros and Dodge Challengers(?) - we're talking less than 10% here. Automotive beauty? Letss see, I actually think that the new Knight 3000 looks better than most cars on the road today (but not the attack mode!) How's that for a Camaro nut actually complimenting the Mustangs!

Anyways you got your wish: You got a severely '60s styled car that is suppose to represent "the car of the future!". WHATEVER. At least it's only a show!

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Post by seeker78 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:17 pm

89IROCNDoug wrote: If you got some people who didn't know anything about car companies and models and were familiar with Knight Rider (difficult task, I'm sure!!!) and had them choose the next KITT from those pictures, I guarantee the concept Camaro would win by a landslide!
Well, I am such a person. I'm more of a computer guy, I have never had a driver license. I have driven a nuclear submarine -- I served in the Navy 1999-2003 as a submariner on the Trident submarine USS Florida, and did 4 patrols on her, as a sonar tech, and I did stand watch on helm/planes (a submarine can go in 3 dimentions; on the surface it would be "helmsman"), so I drove her! -- but I have never driven a car.

That Camero is definitely not as a boxy as a Shelby Mustang. However, it is still trying to be more "retro" and more "boxy", not as futuristic looking as the original KITT.

Plus the Camero is Made in Canada. I have no problem with Canada or the Canadians, but in my mind, Knight Rider is an American story, so it should be a Made in USA car, plus, if people are going to go buy a car based on the show, I want that to support American jobs, not Canadian jobs (certainly, if they make a similar story about a Canadian foundation, they can use a Made in Canada car for that :)).

If we are to use a Mustang, I would prefer a "Mustang GT". Also the nose should be modded to be more aerodynamic, kind of like how the 82 Trans Am had that fitting on the nose.

I still say the coupe version of the Chevy Cobalt would work. Are there 4 seat versions of the Corvette?

89IROCNDoug
Operative

Post by 89IROCNDoug » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:08 am

seeker78 wrote:That Camero is definitely not as a boxy as a Shelby Mustang. However, it is still trying to be more "retro" and more "boxy", not as futuristic looking as the original KITT.

Plus the Camero is Made in Canada. I have no problem with Canada or the Canadians, but in my mind, Knight Rider is an American story, so it should be a Made in USA car, plus, if people are going to go buy a car based on the show, I want that to support American jobs, not Canadian jobs (certainly, if they make a similar story about a Canadian foundation, they can use a Made in Canada car for that :)).

If we are to use a Mustang, I would prefer a "Mustang GT". Also the nose should be modded to be more aerodynamic, kind of like how the 82 Trans Am had that fitting on the nose.

I still say the coupe version of the Chevy Cobalt would work. Are there 4 seat versions of the Corvette?
It's spelled Camaro, not Camero. I agree that the concept Camaro has a little retro and boxiness look to it, so if there's objection because of that, that's OK. I just think it would look a lot better as KI3000 than the Mustang because it would still have a slick look to it - it has a lower profile and it doesn't yell "I'm from the '60s" like the Mustang even though it has some '69 Camaro styling cues.

While the Camaro is made in Canada (the new models too?), they are still by an American company and is an American design so that would not bother me. It would still support an American Company.

If you read the Ford press release, they are actually using Mustang GTs modified to look like the Shelby GT500KRs - I don't know if that's for all 3 cars that were shown or not. At any rate they should of modified the front to give it a smoother look and a place to integrate the scanner instead of up on the hood.

I don't think I would go for the Cobalt. Like the Mustang, it needs a major change on the front plus I think it's front-wheel drive. There's just too much to change on it and it's a smaller car.

Sorry, there are no 4-seater Corvettes.

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Post by seeker78 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:35 am

While the Camaro is made in Canada (the new models too?), they are still by an American company and is an American design so that would not bother me. It would still support an American Company.
It would support the while collar jobs in Detroit, but it wouldn't support the blue collar jobs making the car, which are far greater in number. I'm talking about supporting a backbone industry of this nation. :) We have to keep manufacturing things here if we are to maintain American prosperity.
If you read the Ford press release, they are actually using Mustang GTs modified to look like the Shelby GT500KRs - I don't know if that's for all 3 cars that were shown or not. At any rate they should of modified the front to give it a smoother look and a place to integrate the scanner instead of up on the hood.
I definitely agree. Had they modified the front, like on of those things they put on the Trans Am for the original kitt, it would be much better.
Sorry, there are no 4-seater Corvettes.
Yeah, see, KITT was 4 seats. Corvette definitely has the KITT look externally though! :)

I think with the GM Delta platform (Chevy Cobalt, Pontiac G5, etc.) you get all that...2 seats, 4 doors, more aerodynamic look.

In any case you can't leave it stock, they didn't leave the Trans Am stock either. :)

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Post by seeker78 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:08 am

btw 89irocdoug, I did want to make myself clear, I agree with you that the Camero looks much more kitt-like than the Shelby Mustang!!!!!!!Just for the record. :)

However, the other guy did have a point that the Camaro is trying to be "retro" and thus is boxier than the 80s Camero the the 82 Trans Am.

I still say a Mustang GT would have been much better than the Shelby Mustang in terms of styling/look. :-) Also a Saleen Mustang looks much cooler too. :)

But, what I want to see is a KITT-like car that is Made in USA (not just American company, but made on US soil). Any suggestions on that?

--Brian

89IROCNDoug
Operative

Post by 89IROCNDoug » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:33 pm

seeker78 wrote:
I still say a Mustang GT would have been much better than the Shelby Mustang in terms of styling/look. :-) Also a Saleen Mustang looks much cooler too. :)

But, what I want to see is a KITT-like car that is Made in USA (not just American company, but made on US soil). Any suggestions on that?

--Brian
Your thoughts about the car "made in the USA" are understandable. I, myself, was kind of disappointed when the last generation of Camaros/Firebirds were made in Canada.

I agree that the Mustang GT would have been better, minus the big fog lights in the grill. If they would of taken time to modify the front end like they did the original KITT, they could of made it look pretty slick and I would of been happy with it. I think Chip Foose could of done the job.

The Corvette is my top choice, but is shot down because it's a 2-seater and about the myth of the fiberglass shattering on jumps.

I think the Corvette would still work great. They didn't use the back seat that often. I also think the fiberglass holds up better than what some people think. I saw somewhere on the net a Corvette jump 3 feet vertically without any damage done to it. I have also seen parts of a Corvette that were in bad wrecks in which the fiberglass was broken and torn, but NOT shattered. But it doesn't matter, the Corvette seems to be out of the question even though some of us think it has the best look for the next KITT. :(

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Post by seeker78 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:44 pm

89IROCNDoug wrote:But it doesn't matter, the Corvette seems to be out of the question even though some of us think it has the best look for the next KITT. :(
Yeah I totally agree that the Corvette is an awesome car. It definitely has a KITT look. The Corvette, and also the Dodge Viper! Those are probably the most awesome Made in USA cars right now. :) Unless Toyota or Honda makes a car in the USA that is as cool? :)

Although one benefit of a backseat, which I was thinking about today at my loser job as a Goodwill trailer attendant (that used to be a nice low stress job, though a lot of physical labor, until they started having me do recycling by counting the cans instead of weighing...argh, its impossible to describe how much that sucks), is that with a backseat, you can put criminals there for holding, like a police car. Although in the 80s series they never showed any capability of dropping down a screen or something. Plus it works better in a police car because the cabin is bigger and already has said screen built in. Just thinking of that because KITT is designed to assist law enforcement, isn't he? :)

--Brian

89IROCNDoug
Operative

Post by 89IROCNDoug » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:54 pm

Right, it makes sense to have a back seat.

Hey, check out this Foose Mustang:
http://www.chipfoose.com/press14.aspx

Foose could of done the job! He would of changed it even further for KITT. The guy's a car designer/modifier genious! 8)

89IROCNDoug
Operative

Post by 89IROCNDoug » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:02 pm

Here's a black Foose Mustang!

Law
Volunteer

Post by Law » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:25 pm

If they were gonna go with something so bulky and ugly why not go for something that looks nice like the Nissan Skyline R34.

So the new kitt will be just a plain old mustang. Unlike the good old days when ppl used to turn their heads and think woah wat kinda exotic car is that? (Trans Am)
Attachments
back of car
back of car
GTR_NUR_R34_21[1].jpg (143.34 KiB) Viewed 33215 times
front of car
front of car
GTR_NUR_R34_11[1].jpg (196.74 KiB) Viewed 33215 times

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Post by seeker78 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:15 am

89IROCNDoug wrote:Here's a black Foose Mustang!
(picture of cool car)
Yes, I agree, that is more like it!!! Minus the red stripe but they could always repaint it. :) Where's Victor for comment on that one?

Are the modifications performed in the USA? I know those Saleens are all done in the USA. :)

--Brian

Solid Snake
FLAG Recruit

Post by Solid Snake » Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:13 pm

Honestly if Foose was given the job KITT would have been of the hook! Foose is a mad master in terms of modding cars, especially the ones he likes (like the Stang)... Foose also did the Gone in 60 seconds Eleanor... and that is the single most fabulous '67 Mustang GT500 ever seen in a motion picture! Maybe in the series for a new season he might be approached! That'd be awesome!
Knight Rider, powered by Ford!

89IROCNDoug
Operative

Post by 89IROCNDoug » Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:18 pm

Solid Snake wrote:Honestly if Foose was given the job KITT would have been of the hook! Foose is a mad master in terms of modding cars, especially the ones he likes (like the Stang)... Foose also did the Gone in 60 seconds Eleanor... and that is the single most fabulous '67 Mustang GT500 ever seen in a motion picture! Maybe in the series for a new season he might be approached! That'd be awesome!
I agree. He has done some amazing stuff! I didn't know he did Eleanor - but I'm not surprised - that is the sweetest Mustang ever! :D

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:37 pm

89IROCNDoug wrote:
It's spelled Camaro, not Camero.

Preach it brotha! 8)
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers